• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard back from Sapphire and their upgrading my HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E to a HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E lol.

Anyway, I hope this email means they are also shipping it out so I can get my card and do some real stuff again!

Klyka

Banned
If you really want to you could get a 780 or Titan, but no, no real reason for you to upgrade if you're happy with what you have. A newer video card would be quieter and pull the same or less power if that influences you at all.

I'm fine with what I have, i just haven't really kept up with performance changes in new GPUs so I wasn't sure how much of a step up a new GPU could be.

kennah

I'm fine with what I have, i just haven't really kept up with performance changes in new GPUs so I wasn't sure how much of a step up a new GPU could be.

It would be a fair jump, but you're probably fine with what you got. Wait another year :)

iavi

I've got a bit of an issue: when using dual monitors, my 7950's idles at a clock of 500mz, and won't clock to the OC when gaming--staying only at the stock 925. When using only one monitor, the clock goes up to the 1150 OC like it supposed to.

Anyone know why that'd be? I can't find anything on the issue, and not having that OC's been messing with my TW2 performance.

E: I fixed it. Afterburner isn't working much. Using the OC tools in the catalyst control center gave me the best OC I've ever had, and it works as it should with both monitors, without an ounce of throttling.

AMD's actually made serious progress on that front. I'm on 13.6. And those controls used to be such jank.

ArynCrinn

Banned
For those that don't have the extra $100 this is a hell of a deal. Future proofing doesn't exist.

I agree, was just recommending what I'd do personally. Wanting to get max performance for a larger quantity of games and all. But future proofing does sort of exist. If we talking about being able to build a rig that will run 90% of games at high setting 5 years from now.

kharma45

I agree, was just recommending what I'd do personally. Wanting to get max performance for a larger quantity of games and all. But future proofing does sort of exist. If we talking about being able to build a rig that will run 90% of games at high setting 5 years from now.

660 Ti won't be doing that in 5 years. Plus now the 760 is a better buy.

Thinking of possibly installing a GPU into my Optiplex 390 at work to play some light FFXIV: A Realm Reborn once it's out. Does anyone know a good, cheap GPU to install into it?

I've done some research and the best thing I can find is a Radeon HD6450:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Radeon-Silence-Profile-PCI-Express/dp/B004X8EO6Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1NE8MYDSK9P71&coliid=I3C1K8WYNQE9XB

My CPU has a 240W Power Supply and I'm currently on an Integrated Intel®HD Graphics 2000. Keep in mind that I'm also my company's primary graphic designer so I'm also looking for something that will help me do my work efficiently as well. I use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and some very light Blender as well.

bro1

Banned
Hi Guys

I have a GTX 770 for my GPU and I have it set up in the CP for the correct color space (not RGB, the Y one). My TV is a LG with Local LED Dimming and it has been ISF calibrated.

I went into Windows 7 monitor set up and used the Nvidia CP to adjust the Gamma, Brightness, and Contrast. Still, I feel like the blacks are getting crushed (Skyrim especially) and that something is off. Any suggestions?

Anybody help me here? Getting lots of Black Crush in games.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, let's do this.

Your Current Specs: I'm really not sure. I'm trying to replace my 7 year old laptop.

Budget: 3,000 smackeroos, if absolutely necessary. I live in Toronto.

Main Use: Light Gaming/Gaming (5) Emulation (1), Video Editing (2), Streaming (3), 3D/Model work (1), General Usage (4).

Monitor Resolution: Whatever the standard is.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: For the sake of having a high standard, let's say Battlefield 3.

Looking to reuse any parts?: 7 year old laptop. So no.

When will you build?: Any time before the next gen consoles release.

Will you be overclocking?: I guess so.
Motherboard - MSI Z77 MPower
CPU - 3770K
Memory - 4x4GB 1.5V DDR3 1600
Storage - 500GB Crucial M500 or Samsung 840
PSU - Seasonic X760 or Corsair AX760i
Case - Fractal Arc Midi R2
Cooler - Corsair H60, H80i, or H100i
Soundcard - Creative Sounblaster Z
Videocard - GTX780
Monitor - ASUS VG248QE
Keyboard - Mechanical of your choice
Mouse - Steelseries Sensei Raw
Cans - AKG Q701, Sennheiser 598s
Mic - Antlion ModMic

I think that about covers it.

VoxPop

Okay so I built a rig a while back through this thread.

i5 2500k
8GB 1600MHz RAM
GTX 570
Define R3 case
Xonar DG
ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard
Crucial M4 64GB SSD (crapped out, not sure if its still under warranty)
Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM (might be 5400? not sure) 1TB HDD

anything I should be looking into upgrading going into the new year?

kharma45

Okay so I built a rig a while back through this thread.

i5 2500k
8GB 1600MHz RAM
GTX 570
Define R3 case
Xonar DG
ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard
Crucial M4 64GB SSD (crapped out, not sure if its still under warranty)
Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM (might be 5400? not sure) 1TB HDD

anything I should be looking into upgrading going into the new year?

Get yourself a new SSD maybe, and the 570 you could upgrade if it's not doing it for you. Other than that it' still a great PC, make sure you've that 2500K overclocked.

VoxPop

Get yourself a new SSD maybe, and the 570 you could upgrade if it's not doing it for you. Other than that it' still a great PC, make sure you've that 2500K overclocked.

Thanks. Yeah I was considering picking up a bigger SSD sometime soon. Never realized how unbelievably slow conventional HDDs were till switching over.

The 570 has been good to me considering I don't really play much except Dota 2 these days. Still runs most games at max settings at 1080P. If I were to switch to a 1440P display, would a GPU upgrade be required?

Yeah my 2500k isn't overclocked at all. Never done it before so I'm kinda scared to tinker with it haha.

Zaph

2v2F1tR.png

Anything awful here before I go in?

Adobe PS/ID/AE by day, 1440p gaming by night.

(already own Samsung 840 pro, GTX 670, H60)

yatesl

I don't come in this topic in 3 weeks, and it's up by about 40 pages...

For an update to everyone who helped, my PC is running great. Plays most games that I've tried on full settings at 1080p, aside from Metro 2033 that drops to 40fps with the crazy DX11 settings. Not sure if it should be doing that on a 770, but never mind.

Anyway, temps are generally find, but it can get quite loud when playing games. Would it be worth investing in another fan, so I have two on the front, and one on the back? I was looking at this, purely because I have a Fractal R4, so it'd look fine with the other 2.

However, is it worth it? And are there any better 140mm? At only £10 a pop I could get another 2, but then when is it too many...

Prices seem to be all over the place on Windows 8...super cheap on ebay to 100 bucks on some retailers...does anyone have an idea of what its actually worth?

Addnan

Prices seem to be all over the place on Windows 8...super cheap on ebay to 100 bucks on some retailers...does anyone have an idea of what its actually worth?
It's worth the original upgrade price, so around $20. Only get it if its cheaper than 7, its not worth spending more over. Get that install an unactivated copy of Windows 7 then install the 8 upgrade.

kharma45

It's worth the original upgrade price, so around $20. Only get it if its cheaper than 7, its not worth spending more over. Get that install an unactivated copy of Windows 7 then install the 8 upgrade.

Yeah upgrade versions should be like $50 iirc. You'll get a faster OS, more secure OS, DX 11.2 and 8.1 looks pretty sweet.

kennah

I think my USB ports are going on my P8Z77-I... Two have stopped working entirely and now another batch of four are starting to misbehave. Everything is configured properly in the BIOS. Guess I'll wait until I get the rest of my WC stuff before ripping it apart and RMAing.
Or maybe I'll wait for the RoG Impact...

Leonsito

It's time to upgrade my keyboard and mouse, mainly for gaming, I've been holding out for a lot of time with a bluetooth logitech combo, but I'm truly tired of them.

I've been thinking about the CM Storm Trigger (cherry black switches), it's one of the few mechanichal keyboards with spanish layout, anyone has any experience with it?

For mouses, I'm between two, the G400s and the G500s, price difference is almost non-existant.

Help me, please :D

For mouses, I'm between two, the G400s and the G500s, price difference is almost non-existant.

G500s has 3 side buttons, an interchangeable weight cartridge, a laser instead of an optical sensor and a freewheelin mouse wheel. Buy that instead.

My wife loves her CM Storm Trigger. It has a USB hub built in and it rock solid.

ArynCrinn

Banned
660 Ti won't be doing that in 5 years. Plus now the 760 is a better buy.

Maybe, maybe not, a GTX460 can still hold it's own at 30fps/1080p with most modern games. I have the rig coupled with a OCed Q9400 and 4GBDDR2, I should know. But even so yeah the 760 would be the better obvious buy. Runs DmC at 120fps (highest settings) like a boss too, if that means anything. It also ran Bioshock Infinite on Ultra settings (DX11) at 30fps/1080p just fine after the stutter bug was fixed.

G500s has 3 side buttons, an interchangeable weight cartridge, a laser instead of an optical sensor and a freewheelin mouse wheel. Buy that instead.

My wife loves her CM Storm Trigger. It has a USB hub built in and it rock solid.

Not always better. Anyway, the reason people still stick with and buy the g400 is because it has a perfect sensor, unlike the g500, and many other mice. Or rather did, as I guess I'm not sure if the latest revision to the g400 still has the same sensor. The effects of a perfect sensor aren't something that everyone needs or will notice though so ymmv.

Not giving an opinion on what mouse he should buy, just clarifying the reason why people would go for the "lower" model with less side features.

Leonsito

The 3 side buttons aren't very important to me, I never used a mouse with a freewheelin mouse wheel, does it get time to get used to it?

Not always better. Anyway, the reason people still stick with and buy the g400 is because it has a perfect sensor, unlike the g500, and many other mice. Or rather did, as I guess I'm not sure if the latest revision to the g400 still has the same sensor. The effects of a perfect sensor aren't something that everyone needs or will notice though so ymmv.

Not giving an opinion on what mouse he should buy, just clarifying the reason why people would go for the "lower" model with less side features.

So the optical sensor is better than the laser sensor? What are we talking about, dpi?

mkenyon

Banned
What kind of grip do you use? Claw, grip, or hybrid? What kind of games do you generally play? Do you value comfort over control?

So the optical sensor is better than the laser sensor? What are we talking about, dpi?

DPI isn't really a good rating in which to base quality after a certain point. It is just one of those things that companies advertise as a selling point since it is a big number. To give you the short answer, the later models of the g400 has the ADNS-S3095 sensor (early models had a different sensor), which is flawless. As in it does not have skipping, hardware acceleration, or snapping. The g500 uses the Avago ADNS-S9500, which has nondefeatable hardware acceleration. This is based mostly on memory and I haven't looked into what changes the newer "S" models of these mice have.

Now as I mentioned before, a flawless sensor isn't something that everyone needs or would notice. For example, I use a g700 which also use the Avago ADNS-S9500 sensor. I do not play competitive FPS games so do not require the complete lack of acceleration, while I do play a bunch of mmorpgs and other games with a lot of skills so the extra buttons are something that I do want. I am also not offering a recommendation to what mouse you should buy as I don't really know how you plan to use it or your needs. Just providing information to clarify the comment someone else made implying that a laser sensor is better then an optical one.

mkenyon

Banned
How the sensor performs is also very dependent upon the firmware. How the 9500 performs in the G700 is not the same as how it performs in the Sensei Raw, for example.

kharma45

I don't come in this topic in 3 weeks, and it's up by about 40 pages...

For an update to everyone who helped, my PC is running great. Plays most games that I've tried on full settings at 1080p, aside from Metro 2033 that drops to 40fps with the crazy DX11 settings. Not sure if it should be doing that on a 770, but never mind.

Anyway, temps are generally find, but it can get quite loud when playing games. Would it be worth investing in another fan, so I have two on the front, and one on the back? I was looking at this, purely because I have a Fractal R4, so it'd look fine with the other 2.

However, is it worth it? And are there any better 140mm? At only £10 a pop I could get another 2, but then when is it too many...

Metro 2033 is just a badly optimised game. Brings most PCs to their knees. Fan wise I picked up some Arctic Cooling F12s and when coupled with low voltage adapters seem to do a good job. You'll go mad trying to decide on fans, there's so many good fucking options.

2v2F1tR.png

Anything awful here before I go in?

Adobe PS/ID/AE by day, 1440p gaming by night.

(already own Samsung 840 pro, GTX 670, H60)

Fine apart from OCUK tearing the arse out of it with regards to delivery. What do you need 16GB RAM for?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I asked this awoke ago but still have no solution: my keyboard doesn't respond when I wake my computer from sleep. The num lock light is on so I know its getting power, but I have to unplug it from my USB ports (its a 2-USB keyboard) and plug it back in every time for it to work. I don't have to do this with my mouse on the same ports. Any ideas? I've reinstalled the drivers.

Zaph

Fine apart from OCUK tearing the arse out of it with regards to delivery. What do you need 16GB RAM for?
AE rendering loves RAM. Without it it'll barely use all the CPU threads.

Used OCUK for convenience purposes to make the basked (because only they had the Impact listed for an easy screenshot) - hope to get most from Amazon to make use of Prime.

mkenyon

Banned
I asked this awoke ago but still have no solution: my keyboard doesn't respond when I wake my computer from sleep. The num lock light is on so I know its getting power, but I have to unplug it from my USB ports (its a 2-USB keyboard) and plug it back in every time for it to work. I don't have to do this with my mouse on the same ports. Any ideas? I've reinstalled the drivers.
I've had this issue randomly with specific keyboards in the past. But, then I stopped using sleep.

Probably the keyboard.

Coldsnap

How much you guys think I should ask for what's left of my old build on craigslist? I'd rather just sell it in one batch then breaking it up and selling components. But I have no clue what to ask for..

Fractal Design R3 w/ Extra Scythe Fan
ASUS P8H67-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB, 1024MB GDDR5
Corsair A50 CPU Cooler w/ Scythe Fan
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 Bronze
AeroCool Fan Controller

WP_20130718_002_zpsb56c8ca9.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Might have to slot in the Sandisk Extreme II as another SSD option, but now Samsung is going to update the 840 to 840 EVO with a bit of SLC cache. Price probably will go up by $10.
Just a personal recommendation with an epitaph (I only buy G.Skill, Corsair is good too, but for me G.Skill is by far the best with performance, price, stability and reliability).

For anybody looking for a solid low profile RAM stick set, which are perfect for large CPU coolers (with water cooling it wouldn't matter), as opposed to the Ripjaws series with high heat spreaders. And your looking for a reliable brand name. Look no further than G.Skill.'s ARES series. They come at varying speeds and are friendly to overclocking. You can get a 16GB (2x8GB) set here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231556, price is pretty friendly at $131, or buy 2 and max out most mobo's at 32GB!

Just bought a 2nd set myself for my secondary rig.
This reads like an ad, hook me up yo.

My one experience with G.Skill RMA was great, just sent in the sticks and got them back in 4 or 5 days, 1-2 day ship, 1-2 processing, 1 day back.
No questions or purchase receipt needed.

Danj

AE rendering loves RAM. Without it it'll barely use all the CPU threads.

Used OCUK for convenience purposes to make the basked (because only they had the Impact listed for an easy screenshot) - hope to get most from Amazon to make use of Prime.

You know the Impact's delayed till mid-August, right?

Matchew

What brand do you guys like for video cards. I'm looking to buy GTX 760; not sure if I should go with ASUS or EVGA? Or is there a better brand than those two?

mkenyon

Banned
It's a das mechanical keyboard. I'd hate to replace it. =/
Have another to test it with? Try a different USB port?
What brand do you guys like for video cards. I'm looking to buy GTX 760; not sure if I should go with ASUS or EVGA? Or is there a better brand than those two?
All about the cooler. EVGA's ACX cooler is really nice, as is ASUS's DCII. Can't really make a bad choice between the two unless you buy a reference card.
How much you guys think I should ask for what's left of my old build on craigslist? I'd rather just sell it in one batch then breaking it up and selling components. But I have no clue what to ask for..

Fractal Design R3 w/ Extra Scythe Fan
ASUS P8H67-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB, 1024MB GDDR5
Corsair A50 CPU Cooler w/ Scythe Fan
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 Bronze
AeroCool Fan Controller
$300-400, if anyone bites. The fact that it's not a complete system definitely reduces your chances of someone asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom