• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

Is an older i5 750 @ 3.8 good to go, as far gaming? My i5 build is 3 years old at this point, with 8GB DDR3 and a newer installed GTX660? Should I probably just look for a higher gpu solution?

GPU will yield higher returns, try and get a H80 or above and push that overclock, then once you get your ivy/haswell/whatever you can use the same cooler and hit 4.5+

kharma45

Is an older i5 750 @ 3.8 good to go, as far gaming? My i5 build is 3 years old at this point, with 8GB DDR3 and a newer installed GTX660? Should I probably just look for a higher gpu solution?

It's fine, i wouldn't bother upgrading it yet myself. We've an i5 750 clocked the same and its ticking along nicely.

660 is a good GPU, all depends on what you can afford and what you expect from your system as to whether you should have went for a higher end component.

Hey guys, I’ve just recently ran the Heaven Benchmark on my Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GHz 3GB, and I would like to know if these numbers seem decent or not.

xaBJy32.png

Is that at stock? I don't know about your results in comparison to other similarly priced cards but my XFX 7970 GHz 3GB OC'ed from 1050 to 1150 (haven't oc'ed the memory yet) got 55.9FPS on the same settings as you. So if yours is stock, I'd be happy if I was you. :)

Thorgal

Thought i might share this

Drivers 320.49 are out

Release Summary
This is the launch driver for the newly released GeForce GTX 760.

GeForce 320.49 drivers includes several fixes for issues reported with 320.18 drivers. Refer to the release notes for a full list of fixed issues.

New in GeForce R320 Drivers

Performance Boost – Increases performance by up to 20% for GeForce 400/500/600 series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 314.22 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration. Here is one example of measured gains:
GeForce GTX 660:
Up to 20% in Dirt: Showdown
Up to 18% in Tomb Raider
Up to 10% in Metro: Last Light
Up to 10% in Sleeping Dogs
Up to 8% in StarCraft II
Up to 6% in Sniper Elite V2
Up to 6% in Metro 2033
Up to 6% in Far Cry 3
Up to 6% in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Up to 5% in F1 2012
GeForce GTX 660 SLI:
Up to 17% in Dirt: Showdown
Up to 18% in Tomb Raider
Up to 9% in Metro: Last Light
Up to 9% in Assassin’s Creed III
Up to 7% in StarCraft II
Up to 6% in Far Cry 3
Up to 6% in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Up to 6% in Battlefield 3
Up to 5% in BioShock: Infinite
Up to 5% in F1 2012
SLI Technology
Added SLI profile for Alien Fear
Added SLI profile for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Added SLI profile for Dead Island: Riptide
Added SLI profile for Dragon Sword
Added SLI profile for Neverwinter
Added SLI profile for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Added SLI profile for GRID 2
Added SLI profile for Human Head 2
Added SLI profile for Remember Me
Added SLI profile for The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Updated SLI profile for Natural Selection 2
Updated SLI profile for Resident Evil 6
Updated SLI profile for Trackmania 2: Canyon
Additional Details

Installs PhysX System Software 9.13.0604.
Installs HD Audio v1.3.24.2
Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5.5 or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit. More information at http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit
Supports OpenGL 4.3 for GeForce 400-series and later GPUs.
Supports DisplayPort 1.2 for GeForce GTX 600 series GPUs.
Supports multiple languages and APIs for GPU computing: CUDA C, CUDA C++, CUDA Fortran, OpenCL, DirectCompute, and Microsoft C++ AMP.
Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel and AMD motherboards.

hopefully this soves the issue with the 320.18 drivers.

UrgentPS

Neo Member
This. Supposedly better than H100i. And it is made out of unibody aluminium.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. Although, it seems like the store that's going to build my PC (rather pay to let some pro's assemble it) doesn't sell that cooler, hmm.

If it's only a 4.0-4.2 OC I'd say get the air cooler. The gap is much closer than you think and it's a lot less noisy.

Alright thanks! I'm leaning towards the Noctua right now. Any tips regarding the case? I'm willing to spend a decent amount on a case that prioritizes good air cooling.

longdi

Banned
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. Although, it seems like the store that's going to build my PC (rather pay to let some pro's assemble it) doesn't sell that cooler, hmm.

Alright thanks! I'm leaning towards the Noctua right now. Any tips regarding the case? I'm willing to spend a decent amount on a case that prioritizes good air cooling.

silverstone ft02 or ft04
for something cheaper, silverstone rv02.

yatesl

Heh, fucked up my PC then. Been messing about, swapping fan positions, taking out drive bays to keep it cool. Opened it up again before to check what ports I had available, and to move it to the other side of my desk. During this, I turned it on to see if it booted after swapping some cables, and it did. Turned it straight off.

Finished vacuuming my room, turned on the PC... "Please insert a boot drive." Bricks were shat. Loaded up BIOS, saw that my SSD wasn't being recognised. More bricks dropped. Swapped over some SATA and power cables, to make sure it wasn't those... Still wasn't being recognised (but my other 2 were, so it wasn't the cables). Thought that I may have damaged it somehow when vacuuming the dust screens on the fan because, hands up, I may have not bothered to actually take them out of the PC...

Looked online, first support topic on Crucial's website was "Why has my SSD disappeared from my PC?" Told me to leave it powered on for 20 minutes, then off for 30 seconds, as sometimes it freaks out if there's a sudden power loss. 20 minutes later, it's working fine.

I'll keep my lid closed for a while now...

Cheers. Would it be worth having 2 fans on the front (with one on the back), or one on the front, one on the side (just under my graphics card), with one on the back? Or one on the front, one on the top, one on the back? I figured it's better to have 2 in 1 out, than 1 in 2 out.

And just because I was bored, here's some pictures of inside my case. Despite having the option to put all the cables behind the motherboard (which I mostly did), you can see that cable management still isn't my strong point.

http://youtu.be/9Td4_laNW2E

Because people care, I spent 30 minutes tidying my case a bit. Not the best job in the world (looking at it, I could have pulled the cables up a bit instead of them hanging over the gap...), but I feel much better (and it's easier to close the case).

So it seems my mouse hates using a mouse pad. Have purchased two different ones and still not dice. The cursor goes laggy/stops and jumps all over the place. As soon as I go back to the desk surface (wood) its fine again. It's a cheapie M$ one but still would have thought it would play nicely.

Not happy.

Gurrry

No. That is the wrong cable. 6 pin is for video card. You'll be looking for an 8 pin for your mother board that will probably split into two fours.

Ok the one im thinking of is the atx 12v 4 pin connection. I do see a connection for an 8 pin, but I dont see any way to "split" it into 2 fours. That cord also doesnt say PCI-E on it.

My GPU doesnt require a power cable as it gets power from the mobo (i think). So maybe I dont need to use the PCI-e?

The only PCI-E cords on the PSU are the 6 pin and 6+2 pin. Is there a way to turn a 6 pin pci-e into a 4 pin?

lmpaler

I am looking for a way to connect my PS3 Blue Tooth Headset to the PC to use when I play online. I play on my TV and I can buy a Headset with a longer cable no problem, but one less cord to worry about is one less cord.

I figure I will simple need a BT Dongle, but I figured I'd ask before I jumped onto purchasing something in case anyone has done this before.

Gurrry

Ok so I figured out that the 8 pin I have is actually a 4+4 but you have to break it off yourself...

However, I couldve sworn that I put this 8 pin connecter into something else last night. The only cords left over were the 6 pin PCI-e and 6+2 pci-e cords...

Where could I have stuck this 8 pin before?! lol

Just like the Steam thread, wanted to say thanks to all the lovely members of these threads, as the information was invaluable to me when I was overhauling my rig last Christmas. Cheers!

With that said, I've got a 7970GE (Sapphire, I believe) right now, and while I love it over my old 5770, the frame latency issue makes my teeth grind. Most friends/family don't notice it, but the constant stutter, even while everything reports a solid 60FPS in game, slowly drives me mad. I had it on the 5770 too. It seems like it can only be fixed with some games by going windowed.

With that in mind, would there be an Nvidia card I should be looking at? Something at roughly the same performance level I have now?

Nezabyte

Neo Member
For the Bitfenix Prodigy build, it lists Maximus VI Impact for $230. Where can I find this motherboard? All I've been able to find are "reveal" articles with no eta for the release. Confusing.

kharma45

Just like the Steam thread, wanted to say thanks to all the lovely members of these threads, as the information was invaluable to me when I was overhauling my rig last Christmas. Cheers!

With that said, I've got a 7970GE (Sapphire, I believe) right now, and while I love it over my old 5770, the frame latency issue makes my teeth grind. Most friends/family don't notice it, but the constant stutter, even while everything reports a solid 60FPS in game, slowly drives me mad. I had it on the 5770 too. It seems like it can only be fixed with some games by going windowed.

With that in mind, would there be an Nvidia card I should be looking at? Something at roughly the same performance level I have now?

what games is that in? AMD has it pretty much sorted with the latest drivers.

yatesl

I have a question - My motherboard has 2 USB 3.0 headers (and possibly 2 USB 2.0 headers). The front of my Fractal R4 has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports. This means, in particular, there's a USB 3.0 header going to waste.

The back of the case has a PCI-E port, but on the side (away from the motherboard). Being quite new to this, I'm not sure what that'd be for. Do PCI-E style adaptors exist, that I can just screw to the back of the case, and attach to the USB 3.0 header? Any USB 3.0 PCI-E card I've seen, is designed to go in to the mobo. I'm just looking for a simple metallic bracket, with 2 USB 3.0 ports, that can plug in to the header.

I only use 5 USB ports anyway (6 if I plug in my iPhone, or 7 with an external HDD), so I'm hardly pushing for space... It's just more of a curiosity. I'd be nice to have an extra 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 on the back of my case, in a space that I otherwise wouldn't be able to fill.

Oh hey, having spent 2 seconds on Google images, I found this. That's sort of what I want, if 2 were USB 3.0 and 2.0

SiRatul

Ok so I figured out that the 8 pin I have is actually a 4+4 but you have to break it off yourself...

However, I couldve sworn that I put this 8 pin connecter into something else last night. The only cords left over were the 6 pin PCI-e and 6+2 pci-e cords...

Where could I have stuck this 8 pin before?! lol

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Maybe I'm missing something.
The 8 pin (or 4+4 in your case) is meant for the cpu. Very old cpus do fine with 4 but most current ones need 8. Your gpu gets all the power it needs from the pci-e lane. The pci-e lane can give your card 75W and that's enough for the standard 7750. Unless you have some factory overclocked model which needs extra power, there is absolutely no need to plug in any pci-e cables anywhere. As far as I know there are no graphics cards that need 4-pin. It's either 6, 8 or some combinations of those.

The adapter from your previous post is for old psu (like the ones available from before 2000) which don't have 4-pin 12V cables.

Okay PCGAF, I haven't built a gaming rig in over 10 years, but want to get back into the PC gaming scene. My budget will be $1000.00 maybe slightly over. My concern is jumping in at the wrong time and having to upgrade right away. I want to hit that sweet spot where if I buy now I dont want to have to buy anything but a graphics card and maybe some more ram 3 to 4 years from now. Is it possible to build something now that will support Unreal 4, upcoming Source 2 and all those PS4 or Xbone console ports.

I will be gaming on a 1080p TV and would love to keep all games at 60fps, but wouldn't be averse to going to 30fps knowing all I would have to do was add a gfx card to fix that situation. I just want to be on a budget upgrade cycle and don't want my cpu to be a bottleneck right away. Could some of you more knowledgeable than me steer me in the right direction. I just hate wasting money or going overkill on stuff like this, but I know there is a great way to go about this without going overboard.

Addnan

Okay PCGAF, I haven't built a gaming rig in over 10 years, but want to get back into the PC gaming scene. My budget will be $1000.00 maybe slightly over. My concern is jumping in at the wrong time and having to upgrade right away. I want to hit that sweet spot where if I buy now I dont want to have to buy anything but a graphics card and maybe some more ram 3 to 4 years from now. Is it possible to build something now that will support Unreal 4, upcoming Source 2 and all those PS4 or Xbone console ports.

I will be gaming on a 1080p TV and would love to keep all games at 60fps, but wouldn't be averse to going to 30fps knowing all I would have to do was add a gfx card to fix that situation. I just want to be on a budget upgrade cycle and don't want my cpu to be a bottleneck right away. Could some of you more knowledgeable than me steer me in the right direction. I just hate wasting money or going overkill on stuff like this, but I know there is a great way to go about this without going overboard.
The $1000 build in the OP is solid, but there really is no way of knowing how it will perform 3 year from now. I would guess it will be fine with just a GPU upgrade seeing as Intel CPU upgrades are so small and AMD are kinda not in the fight right now. There really is no wrong time to buy a PC. New parts come out every few months, so it is impossible to always have the latest parts.

RoKKeR

So I just booted up my PC to find a fun new noise I haven't heard before. It simply sounds like one of my fans has started having a crazy high RPM, and I'm not sure A) which one or B) why it just happened out of the blue.

I've got CPUID open right now and I think the culprit is CPUFANIN, which shows 2039 RPM as the average speed. That seems, high. I'm going to go and restore my CPU overclock settings to default, to see if that has anything to do with it. But just for now, that seems like it's too high, right?

The $1000 build in the OP is solid, but there really is no way of knowing how it will perform 3 year from now. I would guess it will be fine with just a GPU upgrade seeing as Intel CPU upgrades are so small and AMD are kinda not in the fight right now. There really is no wrong time to buy a PC. New parts come out every few months, so it is impossible to always have the latest parts.

I don't have to have the latest parts either. I just want a solid machine and be on an intelligent upgrade cycle. Something that I won't have to change the motherboard or CPU out right away. As a matter of fact I would rather be one step behind so I can get my upgrade parts at a cheaper rate when the time comes. The main games I will be playing is Action/Adv and anything Valve related which will include Source 2 games when they come up in the next 2 to 3 years. It all seems like a scary guessing game on when to upgrade. I don't want to be the guy spending $3000.00-4000.00 every 5-6 years on a gaming PC. I was thinking more like $1500.00-2000.00 every 5 to 6 years is more acceptable.

kharma45

There is no right or wrong time to buy with PCs, stuff is always changing so all you can do is buy what is best at this moment in time really. If you're looking to the future it is possible the i7 will see you longer than the i5 but we'd only be guesstimating that, there is no saying for certain. At the one grand mark at present you could throw this together and it would be an extremely good pc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $962.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-20 15:12 EDT-0400)

If you don't have a Microcenter nearby that CPU is an extra $30.

So I just booted up my PC to find a fun new noise I haven't heard before. It simply sounds like one of my fans has started having a crazy high RPM, and I'm not sure A) which one or B) why it just happened out of the blue.

I've got CPUID open right now and I think the culprit is CPUFANIN, which shows 2039 RPM as the average speed. That seems, high. I'm going to go and restore my CPU overclock settings to default, to see if that has anything to do with it. But just for now, that seems like it's too high, right?

Check your BIOS, might be stuck at the highest speed for some reason.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks like the Haswell sweet spot is 4.3 GHz for most chips, whereas Ivy was 4.5 and Sandy 4.7. I've seen this at work, and a recent anandtech podcast reports the same thing.

Danj

Hoping for my CPU and SSD to be arriving towards the end of next week, I'll order the rest of the parts locally with the objective of having them arrive at the same time. Definitely looking forward to having a new uber PC :)

tarheel91

Anyone had issues with Hyper 212 EVO fan failures? I think the bearing failed on mine. I guess I'll be calling Cooler Master Monday.

brentech

Anyone had issues with Hyper 212 EVO fan failures? I think the bearing failed on mine. I guess I'll be calling Cooler Master Monday.

mine just became a little annoying with a tick. replaced with Corsair High Performance SP120 fan. Actually replaced all my fans in the machine with Corsair models, but yea. Problem with the CM fan is it's a cheap sleeve bearing piece.

tarheel91

mine just became a little annoying with a tick. replaced with Corsair High Performance SP120 fan. Actually replaced all my fans in the machine with Corsair models, but yea. Problem with the CM fan is it's a cheap sleeve bearing piece.

How's the noise? I'm looking at that and the Noctua NF-F12.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member

The last two are unofficial Chinese units.

The first one is the legitimate product page but it appears as if marketplace sellers are shipping unofficial units, based on reviews.

I have an unofficial receiver. If you follow these install instructions it should work just as well as the official version.

RoKKeR

The first one is the legitimate product page but it appears as if marketplace sellers are shipping unofficial units, based on reviews.

I have an unofficial receiver. If you follow these install instructions it should work just as well as the official version.

Alright, thanks. Going to go with the official one.

bro1

Banned

My best buy will price match the lowest price on amazon. Got wirless controller and adapter for $25

M3z_

Cross post for those who might be interested

Selling Used CPU/Motherboard/Ram Combo $400(shipping included US48) OBO

8GB 1600MHz 2 sticks

Jluvnsjl.jpg

vNC2KKnl.jpg

dsoFwFCl.jpg

Only selling because I got a great deal on the x79 platform. I have had the processor and mobo since about a week after ivy bridge launched and the ram I bought I think about 3 or 4 months after that. I ran the processor at 4.5ghz and the ram at 1866mhz, everything works great never had any issues.

Also here's a pic of my new 3960x x79 rig

H0f8Bfpl.jpg

Still has the yellow extensions from my mpower setup, but I'm gonna buy some nice custom gray ones to match the mobo.

what games is that in? AMD has it pretty much sorted with the latest drivers.
Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, FarCry 3, and some others that escape me. I haven't updated drivers since 13.2 since I've been in the process of preparing it to be wiped. I know they were planning on doing sweeping latency updates in their drivers, but I'd last heard it would be several releases away. They got that done then?

Can anyone suggest a new router to buy? The one at my parents place has crapped out. Basically I'll have one computer hooked up at all time, with the occasional second computer and wifi for Xbox/smartphone. Nothing fancy, it's for my parents so something more affordable vs high end would be ideal. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom