• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Anyone want to poke some holes in this one?

Seems like a pretty strong build for ~$1200, can get almost all of it from Microcenter.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1izAi

Looks good, but change the RAM to something that is 2x4GB and I would also change the PSU to something else in the OP. For a $1000 build I would not use what is essentially a low end PSU (Corsair CX). Try to get the BP550 at the minimum.

Agreed, made some changes

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2S-122B-GP 39.8 CFM 120mm Fans ($5.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1137.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-20 18:39 EDT-0400)

I'm also not overly keen on the case but it can come down to personal preference I guess.

diaspora

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

I'm also not overly keen on the case but it can come down to personal preference I guess.

Could always switch that 760 2GB with the $290 4GB.

kharma45

Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, FarCry 3, and some others that escape me. I haven't updated drivers since 13.2 since I've been in the process of preparing it to be wiped. I know they were planning on doing sweeping latency updates in their drivers, but I'd last heard it would be several releases away. They got that done then?

Yeah it's done, they're bang on with Nvidia now generally for frame latency, it's been fixed for quite a while and even the latest beta drivers have it sorted for Crossfire on a single monitor.

Far Cry 3

bd-99th.png

bd-33ms.png

Skyrim

Skyrim_2560x1440_STUT.png

Skyrim_1920x1080_PLOT.png

Skyrim_1920x1080_PER.png

You can find a whole host of other games in the GTX 770 reviews from Tech Report and PC Perspective, it's Nvidia's card that is rivalling the 7970. Try the newest drivers, otherwise I don't know what it could be as the 7970 shouldn't be giving you any issues.

How easy would it be to transfer practically everything on my hard drive to a new PC with with a different hard drive? It would be a completely new build so I'd need to install Windows on that PC. Would I need an external HDD or is there a quick, simple way to do this?

Wow, thanks for that effort. Cheers.

Majeh

How easy would it be to transfer practically everything on my hard drive to a new PC with with a different hard drive? It would be a completely new build so I'd need to install Windows on that PC. Would I need an external HDD or is there a quick, simple way to do this?

Install the new pc, insert the old drive temporarily and copy the data you need across. Take the old drive out afterwards. You can also use an external enclosure/dock if you have one lying around and don't want to add another drive internally.

My old 212 is being kinda noisy, like I can hear the air pushing through it. Anyways, I was looking at the Corsair H50, are those good and silent?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

If you have Gb ethernet or 802.11ac (which just came out), just network share the drive on the old PC, and on the new PC in explorer go to \\OldPCName and copy everything to your secondary HDD on the new PC. Remote desktop probably wouldn't work here. Windows just craps out copying massive amounts of files or really large files from a remote desktop session.

If everything on the old PC is under one HDD (OS + Files) well that's going to be a mess. If you're familiar with system deployment tools you could use Microsoft Sysprep, capture the old PC, and deploy it to the new one. But I doubt you have the software and knowledge to do that so just manually organize stuff using my first method above.

If you don't have high speed networking, just physically put the drive in the new system. I'd do this AFTER you install the OS so you don't make a rookie mistake and format the old HDD>

tilting_msh

Neo Member
Need some quick PSU advice please:

I can get an Antec HCG-620M 620W on sale for pretty much the same price as an Antec Basiq Plus 550W.

I know I don't need 620W but if the price is the same is there any reason NOT to get the HCG over the Basiq Plus? Like is the HCG a lemon or anything? Both are modular which is what I want.

Thnx

SpyGuy239

If you have Gb ethernet or 802.11ac (which just came out), just network share the drive on the old PC, and on the new PC in explorer go to \\OldPCName and copy everything to your secondary HDD on the new PC. Remote desktop probably wouldn't work here. Windows just craps out copying massive amounts of files or really large files from a remote desktop session.

If everything on the old PC is under one HDD (OS + Files) well that's going to be a mess. If you're familiar with system deployment tools you could use Microsoft Sysprep, capture the old PC, and deploy it to the new one. But I doubt you have the software and knowledge to do that so just manually organize stuff using my first method above.

If you don't have high speed networking, just physically put the drive in the new system. I'd do this AFTER you install the OS so you don't make a rookie mistake and format the old HDD>

Great advice, agree with everything here.

My call would just be put the old HDD in once you're done with OS installation. Simple and Easy.

Not sure if it's ok to ask this here, but any mousepad recommendations? I haven't used one in years because my wood desk was fine, but the desk in my dorm has a terrible surface that makes mouse use difficult without a pad.

kennah

Cross post for those who might be interested

Also here's a pic of my new 3960x x79 rig

H0f8Bfpl.jpg

Still has the yellow extensions from my mpower setup, but I'm gonna buy some nice custom gray ones to match the mobo.
What is the CPU with that mpwer?

Coldsnap

Welp my 560 noisy fan that I've been putting up with for a year just kicked the bucket and now its making loud grinding noises. That works because I just built an awesome PC and the only thing that was behind was this card.

What's the most awesome 780 I can buy? Bonus if it has the color red on it. Or maybe I want a titan.

Mubbed

Hello GAF. I'm looking to build my first PC and I would appreciate any suggestions (for a complete build or a specific monitor)

Your Current Specs: I’m building from scratch; only retaining a wired mouse and keyboard.

Budget: $1200 - $1500 (using the Canadian websites)

Main Use: Primarily for video game emulation (PS2/Dolphin). Secondary use would be for modern/older PC titles. No other uses.

Monitor: The monitor seems to be the most finicky subject here. I would like something around 24 inches. Whatever refresh rate is ideal for PS2 gaming would be great. Is 120Hz necessary for PS2 emulation?

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps on PS2/Dolphin with AA, widescreen hacks and multiple times native resolution.

Deadline: Looking to finish this build by the end of the year. I want to purchase the monitor relatively soon for PS3 gaming.

The original post also mentions to attempt to build your own PC. Well, this user in the PS2 emulation thread seems to have great success with his build so something along those lines (although I assume there are superior alternatives now) would be swell http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=41425631&highlight=#post41425631

Given that both next gen consoles have fairly weak 8 core processors, should we expect most big budget "AAA" games to be highly threaded? I'm thinking about upgrading my PC for next gen games soon, and I'm conflicted over whether I should just get a 3570k (I'm hoping that MicroCenter will drop prices to clear stock at some point within the next few months) or if I'd be better off with a 3770k or maybe even an AMD 8 core processor.

tarheel91

Given that both next gen consoles have fairly weak 8 core processors, should we expect most big budget "AAA" games to be highly threaded? I'm thinking about upgrading my PC for next gen games soon, and I'm conflicted over whether I should just get a 3570k (I'm hoping that MicroCenter will drop prices to clear stock at some point within the next few months) or if I'd be better off with a 3770k or maybe even an AMD 8 core processor.

A 3570k will destroy a Jaguar CPU per clock and is at almost twice the clock rate (and can be overclocked to twice). Seems sufficient to me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well F me.

Computer has been running great. Windows prompted me to restart now or in 15min for update. I did the update right then.

Kernel panics.
Blue Screens.
Failed System Restores.
Failed ... ... everything.

Time to reinstall Windows, I guess. Urg.

EDIT: And now it's hanging at 53% :-/ Damnit. Faulty memory, maybe? I did two passes of MemTest a week ago when I built it and everything passed fine. SSD should be fine - ran a few AS SSD benchmarks and verifications without issue.

Damnit damnit. Would love for things to just work. Arg.

I'll be moving into a new apartment soon, and will need a new router.

Can anyone recommend a good, relatively hassle-free router? I've done some browsing on amazon, but wasn't convinced and I decided I ought to just ask this crowd. What routers do you all have, and why would you recommend it (if you do).

Addnan

Hello GAF. I'm looking to build my first PC and I would appreciate any suggestions (for a complete build or a specific monitor)

Your Current Specs: I’m building from scratch; only retaining a wired mouse and keyboard.

Budget: $1200 - $1500 (using the Canadian websites)

Main Use: Primarily for video game emulation (PS2/Dolphin). Secondary use would be for modern/older PC titles. No other uses.

Monitor: The monitor seems to be the most finicky subject here. I would like something around 24 inches. Whatever refresh rate is ideal for PS2 gaming would be great. Is 120Hz necessary for PS2 emulation?

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps on PS2/Dolphin with AA, widescreen hacks and multiple times native resolution.

Deadline: Looking to finish this build by the end of the year. I want to purchase the monitor relatively soon for PS3 gaming.

The original post also mentions to attempt to build your own PC. Well, this user in the PS2 emulation thread seems to have great success with his build so something along those lines (although I assume there are superior alternatives now) would be swell http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=41425631&highlight=#post41425631
For emulation go with Haswell, seems to provide a decent improvement over Ivy. What I have come up with. Just add an OS if you need it and it should be around your budget.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($155.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($216.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.84 @ Expansys Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.35 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.50 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1445.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-21 02:57 EDT-0400)

maneil99

My old 212 is being kinda noisy, like I can hear the air pushing through it. Anyways, I was looking at the Corsair H50, are those good and silent?
Clean it or get coolsermaster to send you a free new fan. H50 is a step down. Dont bother unless ur getting a H80+

knitoe

I'll be moving into a new apartment soon, and will need a new router.

Can anyone recommend a good, relatively hassle-free router? I've done some browsing on amazon, but wasn't convinced and I decided I ought to just ask this crowd. What routers do you all have, and why would you recommend it (if you do).

Since you are moving to a apartment, go 5GHz. Way less interference than old 2.4GHz setups. What is your budget? If you could afford the new AC setup, like Asus AC66U router, mine does 60 MB/s transferring files. That's 10X faster than my old highend Linksys 4200 N router.

HelloMeow

Looks like I've got my final list together. I've only got 1€ left in my budget. Anything I should reconsider before hitting the "buy" button?

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Intel Core i5 4670K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB
Samsung 840 series 120GB
Western Digital Blue 500GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair HX750
Corsair Carbide 300R

Gurrry

About to head out to take my GPU and PSU back to Fry's.

Im going to exchange it for new stuff. However Im still worried Ill run into the same issue as before where I install everything but dont get any display.

I read that it may be because my GPU is drawing its power through the mobo and it may not be enough power for it to display regardless of the PSU wattage.

Does anyone know of a card that is similar to the 7770 or the 7750 that uses external power?

Since you are moving to a apartment, go 5GHz. Way less interference than old 2.4GHz setups. What is your budget? If you could afford the new AC setup, like Asus AC66U router, mine does 60 MB/s transferring files. That's 10X faster than my old highend Linksys 4200 N router.

That's pretty awesome, and I'll be putting it in my wishlist.
Right now, money is tight though. Is there a router that'll get the job done reliably, for under 100 dollars. I hate to say it, but that's my limit right now. I just don't want to get stuck with a troublesome piece of crap router like most cheap ones tend to be.

Yeah it's done, they're bang on with Nvidia now generally for frame latency, it's been fixed for quite a while and even the latest beta drivers have it sorted for Crossfire on a single monitor.

<snip>

You can find a whole host of other games in the GTX 770 reviews from Tech Report and PC Perspective, it's Nvidia's card that is rivalling the 7970. Try the newest drivers, otherwise I don't know what it could be as the 7970 shouldn't be giving you any issues.
That's great news, cheers for letting me know (and the links!) Can't wait until I get to install those new drivers.

As it is, I'm still debating about which version of Windows to install once I've wiped this drive. I'm running Windows 7 now, but I have an unused copy of Windows 8, and it'd be nice to have for its boot times and for consistency with my Surface. But I'm still not sold on the interface choices they made. That coupled with potential incompatibilities has kept me away. Anyone have any input?

Hello GAF. My buddy is having issues with his PC. We built it around 2 years ago and it currently has these specs:

CPU: Intel i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler
MOBO: EVGA P67 SLI (Full ATX version)
GPU: GTX 570 1.2 GB
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
CASE: CM HAF X Full tower case
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB @ 7200 RPM
DRIVE: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Now, the issue is as follows:
When I try to play Minecraft or use any CPU dependent program, my PC runs for a few seconds/minutes, then shuts off with no warning what so ever. This happens every time. I try to use it for these programs. I have tried letting it stay off for a night and retrying with no success.
Just a few weeks ago, he had me come clean it out and also reapply the thermal compound on his CPU. We cleaned both the CPU and cooler off with 91% alchohol and cotton swaps then used MX-4 when we reseated it. Now, I have an idea of what this could be, but do not know for sure.

Could it be:

1) Power Supply is failing
2) CPU is failing?
3) None of the above

I haven’t seen this problem before, and my friend’s description isn’t the best. I am going over today to try and fix the problem. Any ideas of what the issue might be?

Addnan

Looks like I've got my final list together. I've only got 1€ left in my budget. Anything I should reconsider before hitting the "buy" button?

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Intel Core i5 4670K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB
Samsung 840 series 120GB
Western Digital Blue 500GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair HX750
Corsair Carbide 300R

Looks fine, power supply is a bit overkill though. You can drop down to a 550W or a 600W.

Addnan

The 770 needs a 600w psu. Stay with the one in your build.
A 750W can run two 770s with ease. A solid 550W/600W eg Seasonic G series would be enough. Just suggesting ways to cut back. Of course there is nothing wrong with sticking with the 750W.

So I wanted to give overclocking a shot with my CPU. I just followed this video since its the same CPU(4670K).

My computer seems to be running fine, but one thing I noticed is that in the video when he boots up CPU-Z his Core Voltage is set to what his OC is, and his Core Speed is as well.

When I boot up and start CPU-Z my Core Voltage and Core Speed is whatever it was before my OC(.880V and 800 MHz).

Is there something I'm not getting?

Edit: if it helps, I have an MSI Z87-GD65 mobo.

HelloMeow

Looks fine, power supply is a bit overkill though. You can drop down to a 550W or a 600W.

It would be for one 770. but I'm planning on getting a second one after a while. At first I was planing on getting an XFX 550W PSU.

So that's it. Thanks a lot everyone.

Coldsnap

How do RMAs usually work with older hardware? I have a MSI GTX 560 Twin FROZR that just had a fan die. If it's going to cost me shipping both ways and repair fees I might just trash it.

I'm looking at the MSI Z87I motherboard for a SFF build. I'm currently leaning towards getting a 120 GB SSD drive and an addition HDD for storage.

The website says that there is 0 SATA 6 Gb/s and 4 SATA 3 Gb/s. Will the 6 Gb/s port be a limiting factor?

SiRatul

I'm looking at the MSI Z87I motherboard for a SFF build. I'm currently leaning towards getting a 120 GB SSD drive and an addition HDD for storage.

The website says that there is 0 SATA 6 Gb/s and 4 SATA 3 Gb/s. Will the 6 Gb/s port be a limiting factor?

You surely misunderstood something. It has 4 SATA3 (=SATA 6 Gb/s) ports and not SATA2 (=SATA 3Gb/s). A Z87 motherboard without SATA3 would be very surprising and stupid.

You surely misunderstood something. It has 4 SATA3 (=SATA 6 Gb/s) ports and not SATA2 (=SATA 3Gb/s). A Z87 motherboard without SATA3 would be very surprising and stupid.

I was going to send an e-mail for clarification, but thought I'd check here first.

Here's a screen cap:

WhNeXmZ.jpg

Also, I'm slightly concerned that the spec list isn't particularly detailed.

Edit:
Note this is from a builder's website and not the manufacturer.

So I wanted to give overclocking a shot with my CPU. I just followed this video since its the same CPU(4670K).

My computer seems to be running fine, but one thing I noticed is that in the video when he boots up CPU-Z his Core Voltage is set to what his OC is, and his Core Speed is as well.

When I boot up and start CPU-Z my Core Voltage and Core Speed is whatever it was before my OC(.880V and 800 MHz).

Is there something I'm not getting?

Edit: if it helps, I have an MSI Z87-GD65 mobo.

Just some further info:

I set my Core Clock to by 4.2, vdroop offet to +25%, and core voltage to 1.180.

While running Prime95, my core voltage is jumping around between 1 and 1.2, and my core speed jumps between 3.6 and 3.8.

Does this seem correct? Games and stuff run fine and my temps are in the lower 50s.

I can't help but think I'm missing something.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just some further info:

I set my Core Clock to by 4.2, vdroop offet to +25%, and core voltage to 1.180.

While running Prime95, my core voltage is jumping around between 1 and 1.2, and my core speed jumps between 3.6 and 3.8.

Does this seem correct? Games and stuff run fine and my temps are in the lower 50s.

I can't help but think I'm missing something.

Are you sure you saved BIOS settings? Your clock frequency suggests you did not overclock. When all cores are used turbo is going to go to about 3.6 GHz.

If you overclocked and set 42 for all core, a single core in use should rail a constant 4.2 GHz.

The 800 MHz idle is expected I think. It's the under load behavior that screams stock behavior. Only your voltage seems to be higher than stock.

With most motherboards these days you only need to set the Core voltage to something like 1.22 V and try 4.3 GHz. If it boots and is stable, you can tinker with lower voltages. If it isn't stable, try up to about 1.275 V. That's the most you can keep cool without delidding Haswell because it's thermal design is shit. If you cannot get stable there, then try 4.2 GHz. I don't think any CPU would be unable to reach 4.2 GHz but Haswell might be that bad.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Got my 3820 to be stable at 4.6 - at least so far. An hour of Prime and a couple hours of planetside. 5GHZ would have been great; but I'm happy. Gaming temps hover around 50c.... In Prime I can hit 70 after a while.

But for some reason, my 2133 corsair ram won't work at that speed. I have to knock it down to 1666 when OCing or else I'm running into issues. Thoughts?

fbgamer

Banned
What do you guys think about this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NImD

DON'T CARE FOR PRICE

I've never built a PC before I don't mind to pay a lot and I would just like to know if all of this would make for something great that i wouldn't need to update for BF4 or the next Witcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom