• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUMP for new page, thanks in advance.

You'll rock 60+ at 1080p for most things for some time with that rig, and have flexibility moving forward by being able to go SLI if your average framerate starts to dip as games get more demanding.

Solid build.

I notice you don't have an optical drive though?

I have one of the older models (back when it was Belkin...N52 I think) with far less features.

I used it mainly for gaming on my laptop at the time, and it was decent for that. It seemed sort of pointless when you already have a full size keyboard, but maybe there's an advantage by having a dpad under your thumb depending on how you map buttons. Remapping some of that stuff was the annoying part.

Yea, mirrors my thoughts just by looking into it. Thanks.

Smokey

You'll rock 60+ at 1080p for most things for some time with that rig, and have flexibility moving forward by being able to go SLI if your average framerate starts to dip as games get more demanding.

Solid build.

I notice you don't have an optical drive though?

Optical drive is pretty much unnecessary nowadays. Unless you like to watch Blu ray discs on your pc or something.

kennah

I would SLI 2 770's personally. I just don't think the 780 is worth the cost.

What? No. The 780 is a hell of a value.

lostsupper said:
Any insight on 780's? What's the best one to get?
They're basically reference fooorrr nooowwwww, but get a multi fan one if you can. MSI, Gigabyte and EVGA all make multi fan options. Get whichever is available where you are/you can get cheapest. They're pretty much the same guts wise.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

What? No. The 780 is a hell of a value.

They're basically reference fooorrr nooowwwww, but get a multi fan one if you can. MSI, Gigabyte and EVGA all make multi fan options. Get whichever is available where you are/you can get cheapest. They're pretty much the same guts wise.

Custom versions are coming out. e.g., http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/57437-palit-geforce-gtx-780-super-jetstream/

XeonQ8

Neo Member
Cpu: intel i5 3570k @ 3.4 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
GPU : Geforce Gtx 680 4GB Ram
Ram: 8 Gb (2*4GB) Kingston 1600-DDR3
PSU: cooler master 700W
CPU Cooler : COOLER MASTER RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm
HDD : Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB +1 TB WD
What do you think gaf ?

I have a MSI GTX 780 OC Gaming Edition

Here are two reviews

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_TF_Gaming/
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_780_gaming_review,1.html

If you buy it here, you get a free copy of Splinter Cell Blacklist (they jacked the price up by $10 tho)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746

Mini Review:

The ultimate 1080p card, cept for TITAN. Octane Render goes really fast, even with a model that tops at 2.85 million triangles.

It runs so fast that it actually broke the Resi 5 benchmark at 200-300 fps. I had to crank the resolution to 4k, and turn the AA to C16XQ just to slow it down to around 60fps. (Resi 6 bench gets 60-70 average at 1080p. WTF Capcom?)

Does almost everything I want it to. Crysis 2 w/ MALDO HD runs like butter at Maximum settings at 1080p. Afterburner says 2.3 GB Vram usage.

Metro 2033 is the only game that I've had disappointing performance in, but y'know it's metro. Settings are still Maximum, and FR doesn't dip below 30fps.

Does pretty well at 1440p, but I don't use that resolution.

Supersampling works pretty well in most games, but I've only tried a few. Sonic Generations gets 1080p 60fps at 8MSAA + 8SSAA.

As for a general 4k card... lets just call it entry level 4k. Titan would be a better choice, if you keep your cards for a long (3+ years) time. You will have drop settings to get a playable frame rate in high end games (Crysis, BF3), but older games and F2P games like Warframe work great. MALDO HD at maximum settings w/ 4k goes over 3GB, but I haven't done much testing with reduced settings.

All in all, totally worth it. I am a smidgen apprehensive about Maxwell, but that could be over a year away, if the GTX 480 is any indication.

HelloMeow

What do you think gaf ?

Maybe get a 4GB 770 instead of the 680. It's better and cheaper.

Addnan

What do you think gaf ?

Maybe get a 4GB 770 instead of the 680. It's better and cheaper.

Unless you are getting a really good deal on the 680 go with a 770.

I'm not sure about Cooler Master PSU. Go with something from Seasonic, XFX, certain Corsairs or BeQuiet if they are available in you country.

Are you getting the Sabertooth for its looks? It really doesn't offer anything special.

mkenyon

Banned
4GB USB flash drive is like a few dollars though. I'm sure you have at least one laying around.

*edit*

Even beyond the ease of it, you cut the total installation time to like 8-10 mins if it's USB 3.0.

4GB USB flash drive is like a few dollars though. I'm sure you have at least one laying around.

*edit*

Even beyond the ease of it, you cut the total installation time to like 8-10 mins if it's USB 3.0.

So basically I take an OEM Windows 8 disc to another computer, go to install to media, select the USB drive, then from the bios of my new computer select boot from usb?

mkenyon

Banned
So basically I take an OEM Windows 8 disc to another computer, go to install to media, select the USB drive, then from the bios of my new computer select boot from usb?
No. You download the ISO from Microsoft, and then use their own USB tool to make the USB drive bootable.

I only have the Win 7 ISO link handy, will need to do a bit of googling to find the 8.

*edit*

Here we go: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Step by step guide: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8-iso-x86-x64-file-directly-from-microsoft/

mkenyon

Banned
Would you guys recommend a GTX 760 over an AMD 7950? also is the ASUS P8Z77-V LK still the most commonly recommended around here?
All the good 7950s are still in the $300-320 range, so it's really tough to compare the two with a $50-70 price gap. The 760 is a better buy right now.

The -V LK is recommended as the baseline (Z77) budget board, and good for a mild to moderate overclock.

Unless you're getting the Never Settle bundle I would yeah. And aye the LK is a great board. It, the MSI GD55, Biostar TZ77XE4 and Gigabyte UD3H although it is usually priced higher unless on offer.

All the good 7950s are still in the $300-320 range, so it's really tough to compare the two with a $50-70 price gap. The 760 is a better buy right now.

The -V LK is recommended as the baseline (Z77) budget board, and good for a mild to moderate overclock.

I was checking out this 7950 and this GTX 760 by the way, so you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. Newegg has that deal going so the prices are pretty close but I wasn't too sure which is a better buy. Thanks, I think I'll keep the V LK in my build then. Seems good enough for me.

kharma45

HoosTrax

Has anyone made use of a device like the Razer Nostromo?

razer-nostromo-gameboard.jpg

If so what were your thoughts?
I used the original Belkin n52. The ergonomics were wonderful. The keys were terrible. I got finger cramps using it to play BF2 because of how much force you needed to keep them held down.

Nowadays, Razer has come out with the Orbweaver, which is the same thing but with Cherry MX Blue switches. Personally, I hate MX Blue for gaming, so I'll wait for them to come to their senses and make a version of it with MX Red.

mkenyon

Banned
I was checking out this 7950 and this GTX 760 by the way, so you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. Newegg has that deal going so the prices are pretty close but I wasn't too sure which is a better buy. Thanks, I think I'll keep the V LK in my build then. Seems good enough for me.
+1 to what Kharma said.
I used the original Belkin n52. The ergonomics were wonderful. The keys were terrible. I got finger cramps using it to play BF2 because of how much force you needed to keep them held down.

Nowadays, Razer has come out with the Orbweaver, which is the same thing but with Cherry MX Blue switches. Personally, I hate MX Blue for gaming, so I'll wait for them to come to their senses and make a version of it with MX Red.
They have a 'Silent' version available on their website with Browns. I've been really tempted to get it for Dota.

mkenyon

Banned
If anyone PAC NW Local is interested, I have a Corsair C70 in green that is free for taking. Could meet anywhere around Oly for pickup.
Any reason these braided cables wont work on my Corsair AX760i?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ORCHG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Paid $55 and waited a week for shipping on some corsair ones that don't fit my psu. Corsair wants $80 for the ones that do because they are also for the AX1200i, to which I say screw that.
You can put those on the end of your cables, but not replace them.

Previously, buying cables for their PSUs was complicated as hell. AX1200 is Flextronics Gold, AX850/750/650 were seasonic, and then the HX were also Flextronics. All three needed different cables.

Now, everything is Flextronics except for the non-i AX series which are still Seasonic. But, they streamlined the connectors to where the series two cables fit everything. The only PSU specific cable you need is the 24 pin.

To give you an idea of how expensive single braided cables are, you would need to spend $150 or so to do it yourself, as well as 24+ hours of labor. A full set from Psychosleeve would be $600+, and other less known artisans would charge you $300-$400.

The gen 2 cables are really nice too, here's a pic I took of the graphite ones I bought for my build.

EF7vzfw.png

So what I am saying is that $80 for those cables is a fucking steal. It's honestly the reason why I buy Corsair PSUs. I'd get Seasonic or Rosewill otherwise.

Coldsnap

Ah, thanks for the information. I went ahead and got the right cables, would be silly to forgot my goal of aesthetics over a $50 mistake.

Just ordered an h100i from amazon ($86 on warehouse deals, not bad) and it says it comes with thermal compound pre applied. Is that good enough or should i get something else and use that instead?

Coldsnap

Just ordered an h100i from amazon ($86 on warehouse deals, not bad) and it says it comes with thermal compound pre applied. Is that good enough or should i get something else and use that instead?

I'm using the pre applied stuff, can't really report on how good it is though because I havn't done my OC yet. One thing to keep in mind is that Lostsupper here uninstalled his h80i and the thermal compound only covered about 40% of his chip, pretty abysmal and makes me want to rip mine off and try the pea method on it instead.

I'm using the pre applied stuff, can't really report on how good it is though because I havn't done my OC yet. One thing to keep in mind is that Lostsupper here uninstalled his h80i and the thermal compound only covered about 40% of his chip, pretty abysmal and makes me want to rip mine off and try the pea method on it instead.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement there. Might have to rub it off with alcohol and apply something else. Whats a good thermal compound these days anyway? I certainly dont want to use my old ass arctic silver. OP links to IC Diamond, but I've heard a bunch of other names tossed around like Tuniq and Shin-Etsu, its been a few years so im out of the loop here.

Tak3n

Banned
So I am having my first offcial problems with my new PC...

all games work on Steam except one, I got last night

Mercenary Kings, the errir I am getting is a VC Dist error according to google, but despite uninstalling the dist package and reinstalling several times the problems persist...

Their official support channel is basically saying it is not their end :(

Here is the error I am getting, any tips will be great

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: mercenarykings.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.1.0.6443
Problem Signature 03: 51ec8753
Problem Signature 04: OpenTK
Problem Signature 05: 1.1.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 5015b892
Problem Signature 07: 405
Problem Signature 08: 17f
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Tak3n

Banned
Too bad, because it is (probably).

Update your video card drivers to latest or latest BETA though to be sure.

Yeah I think it is as well mate,

I am on the latest 770 drivers 350.49, as all other steam games work do you think it is an issue their end?

I notice there are others who are having issues, a couple identical to me but many others where the game just does not start

Danj

Anyone here happen to know the ins and outs of USPS international shipping? If my CPU and SSD have been processed in LA would they then get put on a plane to come over here?

(EDIT: here = UK)

kharma45

Anyone here happen to know the ins and outs of USPS international shipping? If my CPU and SSD have been processed in LA would they then get put on a plane to come over here?

(EDIT: here = UK)

Yes.

Why are you buying from outside the UK? By the time import duty is applied and you pay for shipping is it worth it to have no warranty here?

Kydd BlaZe

So...I've run into a bit of a problem with my new build. I have an LG 3D Blu Ray optical drive, but the damn thing will not play blu ray movies. I did a little research and apparently Windows 8 completely dropped DVD/Blu Ray playback...

Bummer...

Is there a workaround to this that doesn't involve spending money on Microsoft Media Center? I know that optical drives are being more or less phased out these days, but I have quite an extensive blu ray collection, and I plan on trading in my PS3 (the only blu ray player I own) in the next week or so.

Any help would be appreciated.

BUMP for new page, thanks in advance.

Looks good to me mostly.
About the cpu cooler, I know those are one of the most effective ones in their price range (and get recommended on gaf for that) but aren't they also quite loud?

If you don't want to overvolt your cpu for maximum possible overclock (but just a regular stock voltage oc of like 4.3 ghz) you might be much better off with a quieter model.

edit: 90 dollars seems like a fuckload of money for a power supply, pretty sure you can get quality 650W models for 50.

kharma45

So...I've run into a bit of a problem with my new build. I have an LG 3D Blu Ray optical drive, but the damn thing will not play blu ray movies. I did a little research and apparently Windows 8 completely dropped DVD/Blu Ray playback...

Bummer...

Is there a workaround to this that doesn't involve spending money on Microsoft Media Center? I know that optical drives are being more or less phased out these days, but I have quite an extensive blu ray collection, and I plan on trading in my PS3 (the only blu ray player I own) in the next week or so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blu-ray playback was never part of Windows though, you've always had to pay for it.

Looks good to me mostly.
About the cpu cooler, I know those are one of the most effective ones in their price range (and get recommended on gaf for that) but aren't they also quite loud?

If you don't want to overvolt your cpu for maximum possible overclock (but just a regular stock voltage oc of like 4.3 ghz) you might be much better off with a quieter model.

edit: 90 dollars seems like a fuckload of money for a power supply, pretty sure you can get quality 650W models for 50.

It's fairly quiet for what it costs, and if it bothers you just replace the fan on it.

$90 is a lot but it's a flawless PSU that and it's a great price for it. It's $60 cheaper than the Seasonic version. Originally I was going to recommend this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 but for $10 more the XFX is an unquestionably better buy. It's just such a brilliant unit.

TGMIII

Looking for a bit of advice on GPUs since I've fallen out of the loop a bit.

I've currently got a 6950 2GB with a twin frozr iii on it and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading. In all honestly it's mainly due to the crazy noise and heat the forzr puts out any time I try going to 120FPS in games. I'm still running an i5 2500k so is it worth the upgrade right now, would I be getting bottle-necked by the CPU or should I hold out for a new CPU+GPU combo?

I kinda just want to build a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom