• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Looking for a bit of advice on GPUs since I've fallen out of the loop a bit.

I've currently got a 6950 2GB with a twin frozr iii on it and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading. In all honestly it's mainly due to the crazy noise and heat the forzr puts out any time I try going to 120FPS in games. I'm still running an i5 2500k so is it worth the upgrade right now, would I be getting bottle-necked by the CPU or should I hold out for a new CPU+GPU combo?

Overclock your 2500K and then the world is your oyster.

Blu-ray playback was never part of Windows though, you've always had to pay for it.

It's fairly quiet for what it costs, and if it bothers you just replace the fan on it.

$90 is a lot but it's a flawless PSU that and it's a great price for it. It's $60 cheaper than the Seasonic version. Originally I was going to recommend this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 but for $10 more the XFX is an unquestionably better buy. It's just such a brilliant unit.

What is so brilliant about it though?
A random 40 dollar antec one that is reliable enough to last a decade and that works and has enough amps on the 12v rail for your gpu (every single decent power supply these days) will be just as 'brilliant'.
It works as it should or doesn't, it is reliable or it isn't, it has enough amperage or it doesn't.
The only value difference I can imagine between two functioning, adequate, reliable power supplies is how quiet they are.

I could steal your 90-160 dollar psu and replace it with a 40 dollar equivalent and you would NEVER find out until you had to replace your gpu or motherboard and notice that you now have a different psu.

As long as you don't buy a dell or medion or other C tier brand power supply you cannot go wrong.

And please don't use the words modular or sleeved cables...

kharma45

A random 40 dollar antec one that is reliable enough to last a decade and that works and has enough amps on the 12v rail for your gpu (every single decent power supply these days) will be just as 'brilliant'.
It works as it should or doesn't, it is reliable or it isn't, it has enough amperage or it doesn't.
The only value difference I can imagine between two functioning, adequate, reliable power supplies is how quiet they are.

I could steal your 90-160 dollar psu and replace it with a 40 dollar equivalent and you would NEVER find out until you had to replace your gpu or motherboard and notice that you now have a different psu.

As long as you don't buy a dell or medion or other C tier brand power supply you cannot go wrong.

Gold rated (although its efficiency is almost as good as Platinum), fully modular, can pull 950w despite being rated at 750w, extremely low ripple and noise, fanless at low power usage and a 7 year warranty. PSUs don't get much better and at this price it's great value for money.

And why not?

Gold rated (although its efficiency is almost as good as Platinum), fully modular, can pull 950w despite being rated at 750w, extremely low ripple and noise, fanless at low power usage and a 7 year warranty. PSUs don't get much better and at this price it's great value for money.

And why not?

marketing drivel like gold rated./platinum rates
paying 40 bucks extra when you aren't some case modder (most people will open their case once a year to dust it out if that and couldn't give a shit about some untidy cables) , you don't just blanket recommend a modular psu just because you think it is kewl.

You don't need 950w ... for an i5 and a gtx 780, you could happily make due with a 500W

psu, ripple and noise, more 'psuophile' terms for something that will never actually affect anyone since any decent psu that costs half as much will still be more than adequate
MAYBE if you ran a server that could under no circumstances ever go down or it would cost you a shitton of money, then you could worry about this.

The passive cooling when idle (if the pc actually reaches this threshold) is the only compelling argument in your list (to me personally, the guy I quoted might not even give a shit :p )
I love quiet pcs.

The rest reads like trying to buy a car or phone and some car/phone salesman wants to sell you a bunch of crap you 'll never need or use just to get more money out of you.

I don't mean to offend you, it's just a pet peeve of mine to see people always trying to upsell people power supplies, idk where it came from but whatever PR monkey got this shit viral deserves a big raise.

SiRatul

I tend to disagree on this. There is a huge difference between a cheap psu and a more pricey one, no matter what brand. Even if the cheap ones are reliable which isn't always the case, they always tend to underdeliver on their promised wattage and efficiency. The efficiency when the pc is idling or on low load is especially bad. They are almost always noisy as well. Quality power supplies also can withstand higher load than their wattage would suggest. If you even come close to the peak power of those 40 buck power supplies often than their life span gets reduced significantly. And lastly they hardly have any decent safety measures against something like overvoltage.

So I would think there are plenty of reasons not to skimp out on the psu of all things.

kharma45

paying 40 bucks extra when you aren't some case modder (most people will open their case once a year to dust it out if that and couldn't give a shit about some untidy cables) , you don't just blanket recommend a modular psu just because you think it is kewl.

You don't need 950w ... for an i5 and a gtx 780, you could happily make due with a 500W

psu, ripple and noise, more 'psuophile' terms for something that will never actually affect anyone since any decent psu that costs half as much will still be more than adequate

The passive cooling when idle (if the pc actually reaches this threshold) is the only compelling argument in your list (to me personally, the guy I quoted might not even give a shit :p )
I love quiet pcs.

The rest reads like trying to buy a car or phone and some car/phone salesman wants to sell you a bunch of crap you 'll never need or use just to get more money out of you.

No you don't need 950w I didn't say you did, I was pointing out the quality of the components inside the PSU. What is there not to like about a modular PSU? Less crap to deal with and a tidier case. With high end PSUs there are very few that aren't modular, this isn't some sort of 'blanket recommendation'.

I don't what your problem with this PSU is. The guy came to me asking for a high quality system so I recommend quality parts, which this unquestionably is. Just because you don't care about modularity doesn't mean you should just pan it for anyone else. If you're happy to stick with your low end Antec's then do, but keep them for long end builds.

I don't mean to offend you, it's just a pet peeve of mine to see people always trying to upsell people power supplies, idk where it came from but whatever PR monkey got this shit viral deserves a big raise.

I'm not offended, I just think it's comical how you dismiss this PSU when you don't know a thing about it.

I tend to disagree on this. There is a huge difference between a cheap psu and a more pricey one, no matter what brand. Even if the cheap ones are reliable which isn't always the case, they always tend to underdeliver on their promised wattage and efficiency. The efficiency when the pc is idling or on low load is especially bad. They are almost always noisy as well. Quality power supplies also can withstand higher load than their wattage would suggest. If you even come close to the peak power of those 40 buck power supplies often than their life span gets reduced significantly. And lastly they hardly have any decent safety measures against something like overvoltage.

So I would think there are plenty of reasons not to skimp out on the psu of all things.

You aren't skimping by buying a 50 dollar psu... you're just not buying the apple/beats by dr dre of psus.
And at best you aren't selling someone with a music collection of 128kb/sec mp3s and a pair of logitech speakers an 800 dollar B&W amp.

Skimping would be buying some shitty dell or medion power supply.

I'm just annoyed by this FUD always used to scare uninformed people into thinking their current or midrange power supply will somehow break on them or that their pc won't work and run exactly the same.

kharma45

You aren't skimping by buying a 50 dollar psu... you're just not buying the apple/beats by dr dre of psus.
And at best you aren't selling someone with a music collection of 128kb/sec mp3s and a pair of logitech speakers an 800 dollar B&W amp.

Crap analogies aside what PSU would suggest then for that build?

Edit - Most Dell PSUs are fairly decent.

SiRatul

You could have choosen some better comparison. That beats are hardly worth their money is a proven fact. I don't even get how this applies here. Of course there are overpriced psus out there but that doesn't mean that all of those bronze, silver and gold psus have prices that are unjustified. You pay more for something which is better in every aspect which is a proven fact if you go by the reviews or long term experiences from people. Whether one needs those better psus is a different case. I personally think that it's an investment worth making. But if someone says they don't care and want to save 30 bucks than it's fine I guess.

kennah

Wow. If he was recommending a $200-300 psu then I could understand, but there is a good deal on a good supply for under $100...

One of the most frequent recommendations given in this thread are along the lines of 'that is too much psu', 'get a psu with less wattage', 'here is a better one for the same money'.

Honestly there is very little FUD in this thread and you picked a strange thing to start a fight over.

Is everything ok?

Anton668

you dont have to be a "case modder" to appreciate a modular PSU.
Less wires/tidier wires improves airflow.
ppl really should open there cases more than once a year. especially depending on their environment.
and where the fuck did he say "this one is kewl! you should get this one!" ??

One of the most frequent recommendations given in this thread are along the lines of 'that is too much psu', 'get a psu with less wattage', 'here is a better one for the same money'.

and kharma is one of those ppl.

bro1

Banned

MAYBE if you ran a server that could under no circumstances ever go down or it would cost you a shitton of money, then you could worry about this.

I love quiet pcs.

You've never had a bad PSU, have you? I've bought many a bad PSU over the past decade. Between coil whine, boot problems, and stability issues I will never cheapen out on a good PSU. I have a SilverStone 600w Modular Strider unit and love it. So much better than the 750w Corsair it replaced with really bad coil whine.

SiRatul

Speaking of PSUs, anyone have experience/thoughts about the Cooler Master Silent Pro series?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B6OPDI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pricey? My personal preference is to lean slightly quality over price.

edit:
For a i7-3770k, 8GBram, 770 GTX, 250 SSD, 1T HD

I have the 520W version of that. Wasn't my first choise but since I got it as a replacement unit for my old crappy CM M520 for free, I'm just using it. The cooler master psus got better over the last years. Mine is doing a decent job so far. It's fairly quite but could be quiter. Overall the 620 seems to be a good one since it didn't get any bad reviews as far as I know. I can't really comment on that us price since I'm in germany.

Danj

Yes.

Why are you buying from outside the UK? By the time import duty is applied and you pay for shipping is it worth it to have no warranty here?

Ah well that's just it - I'm not buying from outside the UK, my friend who works at Intel is sending me them as a gift, he got them cheap through their employee program :)

kharma45

Ah well that's just it - I'm not buying from outside the UK, my friend who works at Intel is sending me them as a gift, he got them cheap through their employee program :)

Ah happy days then!

Speaking of PSUs, anyone have experience/thoughts about the Cooler Master Silent Pro series?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B6OPDI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pricey? My personal preference is to lean slightly quality over price.

edit:
For a i7-3770k, 8GBram, 770 GTX, 250 SSD, 1T HD

Pricey when you can get this for less after rebate http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...6&vpn=P1750BBEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1311

If you don't like rebates there is this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thorgal

Seeing as Andy hasn't answerd yet Might i ask this question also to PC gaffers?

Perhaps a stupid question but is it possible we might see GTX 780 cards with 6GB GDDR5 or is that staying exclusive for the TITAN for now ?

is it possible you think ?

Coldsnap

I bought a $200 PSU that I didn't really need because it connects to my motherboard through USB and I can see the voltage everything was using, which I thought was pretty cool.

Someone's never tried to build a PC in a case with a quarter of an inch clearance from the backplane to the side panel.

Or you just have no pride in how the inside of your PC looks and all the PSU cables are stuffed in the main compartment.

mkenyon

Banned
You can't say something like
SneakyStephan said:

While adding the caveats:

SneakyStephan said:

SneakyStephan said:

1) Better cable management = better temps, reduced dust collection, and a system that is easier to work in.

2) Quieter PSU is hugely important. I have an okay OCZ 500W PSU that is powering my HTPC because it's the only extra one I had lying around when I built it. It's louder than any other fan on any of my other systems. That's annoying as balls.

3) My single braided systems look ballin'. Don't you deny my epeen.

nDECzl.jpg

94zcgl.jpg

eMLkLN1l.jpg

Beyond all that, as Kennah noted, the people who participate in this thread as folks who offer advice almost always try to talk people out of PSUs that are beyond what they need. The BP550 is the most oft recommended PSU for a reason. It's cheap as hell, reliable, and modular. Very rarely is a PSU beyond the Seasonic M12, G series, or XFX Core ever recommended, which still definitely fall into the category of inexpensive.

I think you do have a good point buried beneath your hyperbole, it's just that your point is already kind of standard doctrine on GAF.

kharma45

If it wasn't ugly as hell and/or available in black and/or white it'd be better. I'd rather a CX500M for a cheap modular.

I'd take reliability over looks, I don't trust those CX Corsair's.

Now that Be Quiet! are selling stuff in the US I hope their mid-range stuff like the L8 filters down.

I'd take reliability over looks, I don't trust those CX Corsair's.

PSUs are pretty reliable things all up. I've only had one PSU ever come back and that's because of its previous involvement with a H100i popping during install. I'd be far more concerned with the quality of memory.

the popping was PEBKAC not the equipment.

remist

Looking for help with a build.

Budget- $600-$650 US
Main Usage- Light gaming and Word, Web, 1080p playback
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Need to be able to run Planswift http://www.planswift.com/system-requirements.html

Put this build together from Hazaro's sheet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/6OTPATBPVVID/
Just want to be sure this is fine before I order it. This is lower than my budget so any upgrades or cheaper parts you can recommend would be welcome

Also wondering how the CM 120 AMD fusion build with an A10 would compare to this.

Last time I built a computer the stock intel heatsink was a pain in the ass to install. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for something that is better quality and a little more user friendly.

Thanks for the help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If it wasn't ugly as hell and/or available in black and/or white it'd be better. I'd rather a CX500M for a cheap modular.
I agree it could look nicer, but hell no on a CX500M over it.

I try to also list parts that have low DOA/problems and the CX series shifting in quality with many issues is a large reason they are not on the list.

kharma45

PSUs are pretty reliable things all up. I've only had one PSU ever come back and that's because of its previous involvement with a H100i popping during install. I'd be far more concerned with the quality of memory.

the popping was PEBKAC not the equipment.

I've just read plenty of issues with the CX models and other low end models.

Looking for help with a build.

Budget- $600-$650 US
Main Usage- Light gaming and Word, Web, 1080p playback
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Need to be able to run Planswift http://www.planswift.com/system-requirements.html

Put this build together from Hazaro's sheet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/6OTPATBPVVID/
Just want to be sure this is fine before I order it. This is lower than my budget so any upgrades or cheaper parts you can recommend would be welcome

Also wondering how the CM 120 AMD fusion build with an A10 would compare to this.

Last time I built a computer the stock intel heatsink was a pain in the ass to install. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for something that is better quality and a little more user friendly.

Thanks for the help.

Our favourite heatsink around here is the Hyper 212 and it's a PITA to install too I'm afraid :p

What you've specced is a better machine than the A10. If you're not overclocking (which you won't with an i3) I'd just stick with the Intel one as finicky as it is.

Shop around as you know and you'll save money

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.18 @ Amazon)
Total: $518.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-23 13:59 EDT-0400)

I'd get a 650 Ti Boost with a better cooler like that MSI for example.

Smokey

I love quiet pcs.

What's with the ratchet tone.

There are plenty of other things to bitch about and you come in here thumbing your nose at people that have consistently helped others build/spec their machines.

In general if there is any place you are going to spend a nice amount on... It's the PSU. It's only responsible for keeping your entire system up.

Okay, guys! Need a few opinions :) How does this look?

oFzQ899.png

EYIXATn.png

Comes out to $1,065 with some savings. All together it comes out to $1,000 with rebates. What do you guys think? Anything that obviously needs swapped out? Mostly wondering about the case, GPU, and power supply.

I agree with your first sentence (love my bp550 but it fucks up the aesthetic of my build :/)

HELL FUCKING NO @ your second sentence.

get a Seasonic MRII or Seasonic G series instead even though you'll be paying more than the BP550 (and tbh you shouldn't fucking skimp on a reliable PSU).

Addnan

http://i.imgur.com/oFzQ899.png[/]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EYIXATn.png[/]

Comes out to $1,065 with some savings. All together it comes out to $1,000 with rebates. What do you guys think? Anything that obviously needs swapped out? Mostly wondering about the case, GPU, and power supply.[/QUOTE]

Pretty straight forward build from the OP. Looks good. Consider budgeting an SSD into it. Makes the world of difference.

kharma45

oFzQ899.png

EYIXATn.png

Comes out to $1,065 with some savings. All together it comes out to $1,000 with rebates. What do you guys think? Anything that obviously needs swapped out? Mostly wondering about the case, GPU, and power supply.

Does it have to be from Newegg?

Stubo

With all the PSU talk going on at the moment it seems as good a time as ever to ask...which PSU would you guys recommend for an i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz or so with SLI 780s?

Is the Corsair AX860 overly extravagant? Left to my own devices I'd sway either towards that or perhaps one of Seasonic's offerings.

mkenyon

Banned
With all the PSU talk going on at the moment it seems as good a time as ever to ask...which PSU would you guys recommend for an i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz or so with SLI 780s?

Is the Corsair AX860 overly extravagant? Left to my own devices I'd sway either towards that or perhaps one of Seasonic's offerings.
Lots of report of coil whine on the AX860s (and X860s). Go for the 760.

*edit*

To be clear, the AX860 and Seasonic X860 are the same PSU. The Corsair PSUs with an 'i' at the end of the name are Flextronics, and actually appear to be better than the Seasonics due solely to zero coil whine reports. The Corsair Link dealie is neat, but certainly not necessary.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Have a overclocking question.

I'm building a rig for a friend for 200 bucks including drivers, installs and all that stuff. He ordered all the parts I recommended. Unfortunately though he opted or made the mistake to get the i7 3770 instead of the K version. Which as we know is a partially locked CPU.

I have two mobo's I can use to OC this thing anyway. I'll give him my unused Asus P8Z77-V mobo, or I can use the mobo he purchased which is the arguably better mobo even while being micro-ATX which is the Asus Maximus V Gene. I'd like a recommendation also on which mobo to use.

But the main thing is, what is the safest and most stable overclock for a 3770 non-K? Some say 4.1GHz, some say they do fine at 4.3GHz, somebody even mentioned a stable 4.5GHz. But just looking at the multiplier/turbo boost I really don't know. This is uncharted territory for me, locked CPU's.

Last of the parts I needed him to ship me are here, time to get to work! (I'll throw in my extra mixamp for his Astro headset that I don't need.) :)
IrNszfW.jpg

kharma45

Amazon charges me tax, which is the only reason I did't use them. Otherwise I absolutely would. NCIX might be an option if an item is cheap enough.

This PSU is cheaper after rebate with them and is a lot better http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...6&vpn=P1750BBEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1311

Otherwise Newegg do this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

EVGA ACX 760 is slightly cheaper if you want to save some cash. Get a WD Blue too not a Black. Black's are quite noisy iirc.

mkenyon

Banned
Have a overclocking question.

I'm building a rig for a friend for 200 bucks including drivers, installs and all that stuff. He ordered all the parts I recommended. Unfortunately though he opted or made the mistake to get the i7 3770 instead of the K version. Which as we know is a partially locked CPU.

I have two mobo's I can use to OC this thing anyway. I'll give him my unused Asus P8Z77-V mobo, or I can use the mobo he purchased which is the arguably better mobo even while being micro-ATX. I like a recommendation also on which mobo to use.

But the main thing is, what is the safest and most stable overclock for a 3770 non-K? Some say 4.1GHz, some say they do fine at 4.3GHz, somebody even mentioned a stable 4.5GHz. But just looking at the multiplier/turbo boost I really don't know. This is uncharted territory for me, locked CPU's.
The multiplier is locked. You can OC them to their turbo max which is 3.9, IIRC. Though even then, I'm not certain you can force it on all four cores.

This PSU is cheaper after rebate with them and is a lot better http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...6&vpn=P1750BBEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1311

Otherwise Newegg do this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

EVGA ACX 760 is slightly cheaper if you want to save some cash. Get a WD Blue too not a Black. Black's are quite noisy iirc.

Thanks man. Switched out the PSU for the Seasonic since 550w will be just fine for me. Also switched to the EVGA since they are back in stock now and I took your advice and will go with blue instead.

EDIT: just realized my memory is 1.65v. That will still be fine right?

kharma45

Thanks man. Switched out the PSU for the Seasonic since 550w will be just fine for me. Also switched to the EVGA since they are back in stock now and I took your advice and will go with blue instead.

EDIT: just realized my memory is 1.65v. That will still be fine right?

I would imagine you could undervolt it. Got a link to the RAM?

ArynCrinn

Banned
The multiplier is locked. You can OC them to their turbo max which is 3.9, IIRC. Though even then, I'm not certain you can force it on all four cores.

That's what I thought, but supposedly people are being able to OC it to 4.1-4.3GHz stably. It has to do with the mobo bios setting though and if they ignore the factory lock. That's why I was thinking at stopping at 4.1GHz for best long term stability.

imotep

Neo Member
Hey guys, I have an issue with an older PC of mine. Its running a 2500k and the first revision of the Asus P87 motherboard (If I remember correctly). All of a sudden when I go to turn it on everything seems to run but no visuals appear. It has a 5770 in it that I know works. I'm thinking this is a motherboard issue, any comments or thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom