• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is from some deal site I saw when looking it up:

To clarify about Haswell compatibility:

1. It WILL work with Haswell (i3-4xxx, i5-4xxx, i7-4xxx), it just doesn't support the low power C6/C7 sleep states
2. You can just disable those states on your motherboard
3. It doesn't save that much power. I ran the numbers once and you're talking about maybe $1 a year in power savings, so don't sweat it.

so in the end it's nothing but marketing , good to know, i too have to buy a new psu and i found a xfx pro core 650 on amazon but it's not modular.

KTT

so in the end it's nothing but marketing , good to know, i too have to buy a new psu and i found a xfx pro core 650 on amazon but it's not modular.

This isn't modular, but I don't really mind a lot. I'm not trying to spend all that much on the build, so I don't really care if the cable look all that beautiful on the inside. It almost looks a little too good to be true though, which is why I'm asking the guys here.

Snakeyes

If you went planning on OCing and wanted a 4C/8T CPU you can save some cash and buy one of the consumer level Xeon's. They run a bit cooler anyway and I'm sure you could find a passive cooling setup that wouldn't compromise too much. Prepare for a massive heatsink and pricetag though.

Oh, OK. Thanks for the tip!

I was actually thinking of going down to a 4670k. My main reason for going i7 was to be completely sure that my CPU would be significantly ahead of consoles and could play every game for the next 5 years at higher resolutions (1440p, 4K), but it seems like even the i5 would be enough for that. Thoughts?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
well, earlier today i was having a difficult time putting that card in the PCI slot. i come home, and on the first try i get it in. :p

anywho. i think everything is plugged in at this point. i think i'll turn it on?

kennah

WOOO!!

Prodigy filled with Hard Drives and FreeNAS basically configured. Emptying a bunch of junk from my MacBook before starting the first Time Capsule backup to this machine. So sweet. So overpowered (i3)

davepoobond

okay i turn it on, the fans go, turns off for a second, and then starts again.

and then no video output. the fans keep going and i can see a couple of red lights flash once and then go away.

i'm trying to hook it up to my PC's VGA port through the motherboard port. i also plugged in an HDMI cable to both the motherboard and the graphics card.

:\

okay i turn it on, the fans go, turns off for a second, and then starts again.

and then no video output. the fans keep going and i can see a couple of red lights flash once and then go away.

i'm trying to hook it up to my PC's VGA port through the motherboard port. i also plugged in an HDMI cable to both the motherboard and the graphics card.

:\

Do you have the cpu power cable plugged in? There is at a minimum 2. One for the motherboard and one for the cpu.

redlegs87

The ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer has been getting good reviews and is only $114 on Newegg right now. I think it's been as low as $100 with coupon code on Newegg at points.

Check out HardOCP's review of it - link

Apparently its a really great overclocker.

Hmmm would this be a good deal compared to say the Gigabyte UD3H? I will probably be buying the mobo on friday and if it is still only 120 then I might just go for the asrock board.

davepoobond

If taking out a stick of ram doesn't work, are you sure your CPU is seated correctly and the cpu fan is getting power?

cpu fan is definitely getting power, it is on and i also plugged the back fan into the CPU_OPT, and that is also running. i am absolutely sure the cpu is seated correctly, i did it to the notches and everything else you're supposed to do for that

i turned it on and it had a single, short beep. the "BOOT_DEVICE_LED" was red for a second and then turned off. still no video with only one stick of ram

cpu fan is definitely getting power, it is on and i also plugged the back fan into the CPU_OPT, and that is also running. i am absolutely sure the cpu is seated correctly, i did it to the notches and everything else you're supposed to do for that

i turned it on and it had a single, short beep. the "BOOT_DEVICE_LED" was red for a second and then turned off. still no video with only one stick of ram

Hmmm... So I'd suggest taking everything off the mobo and just put the ram and have the hdd plugged in. What happens then? If it's one short beep it could be a Ram failure. Do you have another stick of ram?

Edit: Also, re-seat the ram stick that you do put in. You know how to seat the ram properly? The two tabs fold out and then you put the ram in the only way it'll fit until the two tabs "snap" into place.

edit2: Also, placement of the ram is important too. Usually if it's 4 bays two will be colored, be sure that the ram is in the same colored areas.

davepoobond

Hmmm... So I'd suggest taking everything off the mobo and just put the ram and have the hdd plugged in.

i don't have an OS on it yet. I'm just trying to get to the BIOS at the moment to make sure it detects all of the hardware.

What happens then? If it's one short beep it could be a Ram failure. Do you have another stick of ram?

i have 4 sticks of RAM. i switched the RAM and the slot i was using and still the same thing.

Edit: Also, re-seat the ram stick that you do put in. You know how to seat the ram properly? The two tabs fold out and then you put the ram in the only way it'll fit until the two tabs "snap" into place.

yeah, the RAM is definitely in correctly...

edit2: Also, placement of the ram is important too. Usually if it's 4 bays two will be colored, be sure that the ram is in the same colored areas.

i have quad channel RAM so it shouldn't matter where i put them. but at the moment i only have 1 stick and its in the "recommended" slot to use in the MOBO when there's only one stick.

i'll make a video and maybe that can help a little bit.

i don't have an OS on it yet. I'm just trying to get to the BIOS at the moment to make sure it detects all of the hardware.

i have 4 sticks of RAM. i switched the RAM and the slot i was using and still the same thing.

yeah, the RAM is definitely in correctly...

i have quad channel RAM so it shouldn't matter where i put them. but at the moment i only have 1 stick and its in the "recommended" slot to use in the MOBO when there's only one stick.

i'll make a video and maybe that can help a little bit.

Have you rotated through the recommended slot with all 4 sticks?

I'm sorry if these questions sound a bit redundant but we should do the basic steps first.

davepoobond

Have you rotated through the recommended slot with all 4 sticks?

I'm sorry if these questions sound a bit redundant but we should do the basic steps first.

not all 4 sticks, i'll do that then.

you have a dedicated video card? if so you need to plug vga into it and not the mobo

i was trying both initially. i'll start using the video card now then.

okay so this time when i was making the video some weird things happened:

1. the CPU_LED was just on the whole time (this didn't happen before)
2. the computer was on for about a minute, turned off, and then turned back on.

i tried to turn it off with the power button but it didn't turn off. i had to switch it off at the PSU.

i tried to turn it off with the power button but it didn't turn off. i had to switch it off at the PSU.

Wait, so is you PC shutting off or does it stay on and you get no video?

davepoobond

NoRéN;101814470 said:
remove video card. Plug monitor to motherboard and see if you get anything.

ok, i'll do this.

Wait, so is you PC shutting off or does it stay on and you get no video?

i get no video at all ever. havent seen anything on the TV yet.

what happens is that it turns on, stays on for about 30 seconds, turns off for a second, and then turns back on. let me see if the video i took shows this. one sec.

NoRéN;101814575 said:
Bad PSU maybe?

I don't think so. At least not yet. Generally if it's a bad PSU it will usually at least boot reliably and then shut off after you start something that requires more power. Generally. That's not always the case. We should wait until he's rotated through all 4 sticks of ram first.

ok, i'll do this.

i get no video at all ever. havent seen anything on the TV yet.

what happens is that it turns on, stays on for about 30 seconds, turns off for a second, and then turns back on. let me see if the video i took shows this. one sec.

Ahh, I was under the impression you were getting instance shutdowns as soon as you powered on. Can you get to the bios?

edit: Also, can you get a part list of you rig? We probably should know what we're looking at before we try and fix it.

edit2: Be sure not to get frustrated either, this type of thing has happened to all of us one way or the other. The very first time I built a PC, I took forever to put it together as carefully as possible, ensuring I did everything righ(which I did) and ended up just having a bad mobo the whole time. Had to send it back, which was a bummer, and the next one I got worked fine. Still, it sucked having to wait that week and a half for it to come in.

davepoobond

Ahh, I was under the impression you were getting instance shutdowns as soon as you powered on. Can you get to the bios?

no, it stays on until i push the power button. the last time i turned it on it wouldn't turn off from the power button, it only turned off when i switched off at the PSU, so it was kinda weirding me out.

havent even seen the bios at all yet.

edit: Also, can you get a part list of you rig? We probably should know what we're looking at before we try and fix it.

everything is in it besides the DLINK wifi card, it says to not plug it in until you install the software on the disc, so that's not even plugged in.

i also put in a Firewire card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815265002

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($300.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($133.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-566 802.11a/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($46.74 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill THRONE ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($58.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1815.62
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-22 02:06 EST-0500)

edit2: Be sure not to get frustrated either, this type of thing has happened to all of us one way or the other. The very first time I built a PC, I took forever to put it together as carefully as possible, ensuring I did everything righ(which I did) and ended up just having a bad mobo the whole time. Had to send it back, which was a bummer, and the next one I got worked fine. Still, it sucked having to wait that week and a half for it to come in.

i'm not at that point yet. i just don't want anything to blow up. when it wouldnt turn off was kinda scary :(

i bought my processor and mobo at the same place, but its out of the 15 day return policy now, so i would have to send it to ASUS now, i think.

the video doesnt show the fan behavior, it was staying on so i just stopped the camera, but you can see the LED and the fans spinning.

DarkFlow

Banned

If the CPU_LED light is on, that means you have a fucked up socket and need a new MB. RMA that bad boy.

Okay, so let's eliminate all the other parts from the equation equally. Take everything out of all the PCI(e) slots. Everything, gfx card, firewire card, hard drives, optical drives. Essentially only have your CPU and Ram installed and a keyboard plugged in to get to your bios.

NoRéN

shit. is the processor fucked up too?

Nah, unless you put it in wrong.

Do what Krappadizzle suggested. Eliminate parts until you can narrow down the possible problem. It could just be a card you didn't seat correctly.

If it's a bad mobo, it happens. Happened to me with my first build. It sucks. It's frustrating. It happens.

davepoobond

Okay, so let's eliminate all the other parts from the equation equally. Take everything out of all the PCI(e) slots. Everything, gfx card, firewire card, hard drives, optical drives. Essentially only have your CPU and Ram installed and a keyboard plugged in to get to your bios.

ok, i'll do this first.

Nah, just means Asus maybe messed up the MB. It could also just be you messed something up putting it together. I would try taking EVERYTHING Apart, then putting it all back together one more time, that might fix it.

and then i'll do this.

Is 550w enough for the 780? According to their website they recommend a minimum of 600w.

i asked that earlier in the thread and everyone said it was fine. :(

here's the video i made. sorry that its in vertical. i'll have the youtube thing lock it in horizontal if i make another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNokW3yvao

(this is the first time i noticed the CPU_LED light on)

DarkFlow

Banned
ok, i'll do this first.

and then i'll do this.

You'll be fine, don't stress about it. I slapped my rig together in like 30 mins, the part that took me the longest was trying to get the damn 212 cooler to fit in the holes. I man handle my parts, they can take it.

Rufus

It should be. There's no way it should give you issues if they're not broken, especially if you tried booting a system that's as bare as possible.
GPU manufacturers over-estimate power demands because the quality of PSUs and total system draw can vary.

Yeah, it is suggested that you have 600w or more for the 780 as it draws about 200 watts. That said, most PSU's are underated and can handle more than advertised(not a crazy amount but +50 watts or more isn't uncommon.)

I just put a build together myself with an i7-4470k and GTX 780 like you and I made sure to buy a 850W card to ensure I had overhead room in case I wanted to install other things in the PCIe slots and not have to worry. That said, we should still make sure that it's not your board or your ram.

davepoobond

Thank you for all the help you guys, i really appreciate it.

ok i have another long video, but this time something actually shows up on the screen with everything taken out.

it says:

"current bios setting does not fully support the boot device
click OK to enter BIOS setup
Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM Paramaters and adjust the CSM settings to enable the boot device"

Thank you for all the help you guys, i really appreciate it.

ok i have another long video, but this time something actually shows up on the screen with everything taken out.

it says:

"current bios setting does not fully support the boot device
click OK to enter BIOS setup
Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM Paramaters and adjust the CSM settings to enable the boot device"

You don't have a boot device as you took out your hdd. At least last we spoke you did. So with everything out and one stick of ram it boots to the BIOS? That's good. So shut everything down and put all the ram in and boot it back up and ensure that works. If it does, shut it back down, install a hdd and then restart it.

Hurley

Is the ASUS Maximus VI still a solid choice for a motherboard?

I've read it has a pretty good audio chip on it too, which is a bonus.

davepoobond

this is the second video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuXoKo9DKA

i put in all 4 sticks and it does it again. this time i saw the ASUS splash screen and saying "press DEL" to enter BIOS.

i'll enter it this time and see what happens.

picture of the BIOS:

asusbios.jpg

Pachimari

Yeah, it is suggested that you have 600w or more for the 780 as it draws about 200 watts. That said, most PSU's are underated and can handle more than advertised(not a crazy amount but +50 watts or more isn't uncommon.)

I just put a build together myself with an i7-4470k and GTX 780 like you and I made sure to buy a 850W card to ensure I had overhead room in case I wanted to install other things in the PCIe slots and not have to worry. That said, we should still make sure that it's not your board or your ram.
Won't I be fine if I have a 550w for a GTX 780 ATX? I was also advices to buy a 550w.

DarkFlow

Banned

i put in all 4 sticks and it does it again. this time i saw the ASUS splash screen and saying "press DEL" to enter BIOS.

Looks like everything is working, now hook a HDD up and smash that DEL key to get into bios, then find the little exit menu and hit Set to defaults and save and exit and you should be good to roll.

Nah, this is fine. So as soon as your pc starts up just keep tapping DEL on your keyboard to get to BIOS. Ensure that you have your HDD that you intend on installing Windows on and ensure whatever media device you'll use to install it from(DVD drive/USB stick) is plugged into the power supply and data cables are routed to your mobo. As an overview, have your DVD drive, HDD you intend to install windows on(preferably your SSD) and your keyboard plugged into a usb slot.

davepoobond

Nah, this is fine. So as soon as your pc starts up just keep tapping DEL on your keyboard to get to BIOS. Ensure that you have your HDD that you intend on installing Windows on and ensure whatever media device you'll use to install it from(DVD drive/USB stick) is plugged into the power supply and data cables are routed to your mobo. As an overview, have your DVD drive, HDD you intend to install windows on(preferably your SSD) and your keyboard plugged into a usb slot.

i dont have windows right now, so i can't install the OS. waiting until next week for that to come. I just wanted to make sure everything is working as far as i can go until that point.

should i attempt to hook up any of the other pieces of hardware to figure out what is giving the issue in case i need to do an RMA?

Won't I be fine if I have a 550w for a GTX 780 ATX? I was also advices to buy a 550w.

In theory you would/will be, BUT, my preference is to have more than what you need especially if you intend on installing other cards(extra GPU, Capture Card, TV tuner, etc) If you don't intend on doing that and not much OC you'll be fine with 550w. But, again, I'd advise for more than what you need.

DarkFlow

Banned
i dont have windows right now, so i can't install the OS. waiting until next week for that to come. I just wanted to make sure everything is working as far as i can go until that point.

should i attempt to hook up any of the other pieces of hardware to figure out what is giving the issue in case i need to do an RMA?
Hook it all up since we know it works now.

You could, after doing that. It seems, and granted I'm not a complete expert, but it sounds like you have too much for your PSU. All those extra cards and a bad ass GFX card need a solid 650w or more for reliability. I'd try adding in the GPU and nothing else and seeing if you can boot to BIOS and then add more cards from there. You may just be overloading your PSU. Granted take that with a grain of salt. At least we know your CPU and Ram are good.

davepoobond

You could, after doing that. It seems, and granted I'm not a complete expert, but it sounds like you have too much for your PSU. All those extra cards and a bad ass GFX card need a solid 650w or more for reliability. I'd try adding in the GPU and nothing else and seeing if you can boot to BIOS and then add more cards from there. You may just be overloading your PSU. Granted take that with a grain of salt. At least we know your CPU and Ram are good.

i suppose the PSU at this point is the most likely culprit just being too low, but the firewire port is only taking a PCI slot for the power.

i still have to plug in the wifi card after the graphics card, and then another side fan. at the moment, 5 fans are being powered, and they can't exceed a certain amount of wattage, i would think.

but i'm not planning on putting anything else on the thing. maybe there are too many fans for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom