• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Now it looks like this - is this correct?

jjFfVb7.png

Panzon

do know that there is a 780ti sc acx as well that will OC even higher too ;)

You can never have too much power, but 1080p 60fps, 780 should be fine for a good while.
Yea I know but I dont wanna spend that unnecessary money if Im just gaming at 1080p. Not to mention I have my second child on the way so thats probably the thing that factors the most into this whole thing. As long as I can enjoy the games at great fps and decent colors I'll be happy.

Now, which monitor to choose from is the last part of this puzzle

mkenyon

Banned
Now it looks like this - is this correct?
Yep.
SO in finally build my Mom PC . Everything went good on the first try. Just one question. Is it normal that the i3 with fan comes without a cooling paste ?

Cable Managment was a mess with the Case and PSU :D

I hope i did okay.

Here is the result. I installed Windows and now i have just to install all drivers and to config windows 8.1 and the Harddrive. Any suggestions with that ? :)
Paste is pre-applied to the bottom of the heatsink. Windows installation guide in the OP.
Yea I know but I dont wanna spend that unnecessary money if Im just gaming at 1080p. Not to mention I have my second child on the way so thats probably the thing that factors the most into this whole thing. As long as I can enjoy the games at great fps and decent colors I'll be happy.

Now, which monitor to choose from is the last part of this puzzle
Already purchased the 780?

If you're going NVIDIA, I highly suggest one of the three G-Sync monitors.

EDIT: Oh, fuck it. It's done. I'd have been deliberating over it for ages.

You won't regret it.

Quick question, though - do you really need a 1000W power supply? It seems excessive unless you're doing a SLI/Crossfire, and most people are (rightfully) preferring to invest their money in better single-card solutions.

You could shave some cash and probably come away with better piece of mind by dropping down some wattage and going for a Gold or Platinum solution. I personally loved the Corsair 700-something Platinum with modular cords.

A guy at work has seen this and wonders if it's a good deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I7-...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20d90288a9

£750 for:

Case : Galaxy Evolution Tower Case With Switchable Red or Blue Led
Power Supply : Aerocool VP Pro 850 Watt Branded PSU
Motherboard : Gigabyte H81M-S2PV
CPU : Intel I7 4th Gen 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz (turbo 3.9Ghz) CPU
Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia GTX 770 2gb (Tripple screen support via DVI / HDMI / DISPLAY PORT)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound

My first impressions: price is decent for what it is, but PSU, CPU and RAM are over-specced and it needs an SSD. So I wouldn't buy it.

By the way - for my colleague who doesn't have time to self-build, can UK PC Gaf suggest any good pre-built gaming machine outlets? Mid range, doesn't have to be top end, but not paying good money for the wrong spec (i.e. the overspecced rig above, or a Dell with crap components)?

Panzon

Already purchased the 780?

If you're going NVIDIA, I highly suggest one of the three G-Sync monitors.
Im gonna buy it sometime next week. Which of the G-sync monitors seem to be the best choice right now? I know I can look it up myself but I prefer the opinions from here

Kylejc86

Ok guys so I have a Shuttle SZ77R5 with an intel 3570k and I originally had a geforce 210 in there but I decided to use the onboard HD 4000 but after installing the newest intel drivers I have the infamous black screen of death right after the windows logo then it restarts a couple minutes after this.

I have took out the 210 completely formatted everything and installed windows 7 but as soon as I load that driver and it restarts I get that black screen. My bios is up to date also.

I think you guys are smarter than most of the threads I have been on and hope someone has experienced and has a fix for this.

GAF you are my only hope!!!!

jiggles

Banned
You won't regret it.

Quick question, though - do you really need a 1000W power supply? It seems excessive unless you're doing a SLI/Crossfire, and most people are (rightfully) preferring to invest their money in better single-card solutions.

You could shave some cash and probably come away with better piece of mind by dropping down some wattage and going for a Gold or Platinum solution. I personally loved the Corsair 700-something Platinum with modular cords.

Well, it is a Gold-rated unit, but I just want to keep my options open if I do decide to SLI another 780Ti in there. My current PSU does the job fine now for one card, but it's rated much lower than I'm comfortable with, only has a 4-pin CPU cable and the non-modular cables are too short to be of any use in the new case, so now's the time to switch.

The price difference between it and a 750W option is small enough that I think it's worth it just to keep the option open.

mkenyon

Banned
Im gonna buy it sometime next week. Which of the G-sync monitors seem to be the best choice right now? I know I can look it up myself but I prefer the opinions from here
Well, if you are going to overclock your 780, I think it's worth it to take a look at the 780 Classified. It's basically on par with a stock 780 Ti out of the box, and can be pushed further.

dliohHg.png

But for G-Sync monitors, there's the ASUS VG248QE, 1080p, TN, and you have to install the G-Sync module yourself. Monitor is usually around $250, the module I think is $150 or $200. You can get monitors with it installed from Digital Storm, and a few other places.

The RoG G-Sync Monitor is 1440p, TN, and will come in at $800. It might not be out for another 2-3 months. Same thing with the Phillips one.

Dave_6

Yeah. You can run something like CCleaner to get rid of all the random stuff left after updates and whatnot.

I may need to try this. Mine is 120GB and it only has ~18GB of free space left. The PC hasn't been in use a year yet and the only thing on it is the OS, Steam, Origin and Uplay. All my games are on my HD.

mkenyon

Banned
If you don't plan to overclock in a gaming system (that is, with a dedicated GPU) you should buy a Xeon.
(an E3-1230 v3 to be exact)
Yep yep.

But, overclocking is really easy, and the chips are intended to be overclocked. It'll pay off if you play a lot of multiplayer games.

NoRéN

But is it normal my SSD "only" have 193GB left of 232GB? Is Windows 7 really taking up that much space?

did you do the following?

Disable defragmentation
Description: Defragmenting a hard disk's used space is only useful on mechanical disks with multi-millisecond latencies. Free-space defragmentation may be useful to SSDs, but this feature is not available in the default Windows Defragmenter.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Disk Defragmenter -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Disable Hibernate
Description: You may free up 1GB of space on the SSD if you have 1GB of memory, 2GB of space if you have 2GB memory. You will lose the hibernation feature which allows the equivalent of quick boots and shutdowns.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Type exit

from the always helpful OP.

appaws

Banned
If i do not plan to overclock my cpu, is there any reason to buy a K-series?

Yes. Leave the door open. There will come a time when you might want to...and it is easy.

A lot of people still have CPUs from a couple of generations ago (Nahalem, etc.) and the ability to do some easy OCing gets them some extra performance.

This can improve games they are currently running, or help them hold out a little longer for an upgrade, waiting for a big chipset release...etc.

mkenyon

Banned
But if I set it to "Startup type: Disabled" at Disk Defragmenter, what does it exactly mean? I don't lose any features?
Defragmenting is moving all of the data around on a platter drive to be sequential in terms of grouping it together. This makes accessing data on that drive faster, as it doesn't need to spin to different parts of the drive to get data for a single program.

This function is useless on SSDs, and actually even degrades them.

Geneijin

SO in finally build my Mom PC . Everything went good on the first try. Just one question. Is it normal that the i3 with fan comes without a cooling paste ?

Cable Managment was a mess with the Case and PSU :D

I hope i did okay.

Here is the result. I installed Windows and now i have just to install all drivers and to config windows 8.1 and the Harddrive. Any suggestions with that ? :)

Q1bpf1E.jpg
What case is that?

Boss Mog

I just noticed nVidia is doing a "GPU Technology Conference" March 24-27. Do you guys think there's any chance they'll say when the new Maxwell desktop cards (GTX 800 series) are coming out at the event?

I'm waiting for them to upgrade my video card now since I basically gave up on getting an AMD card.

Boss★Moogle;104102727 said:
I just noticed nVidia is doing a "GPU Technology Conference" March 24-27. Do you guys think there's any chance they'll say when the new Maxwell desktop cards (GTX 800 series) are coming out at the event?

I'm waiting for them to upgrade my video card now since I basically gave up on getting an AMD card.

you'd hope so.... nvidia isn't really one to talk about gpu's in conferences these days lol.

Still trying to push their mobile platform.

Pachimari

That's normal because you won't get the whole 232GB for your SSD or other storage. I think the space left before you installed your OS was 216GB.

But it's supposed to be 250GB, I would imagine I would get the 232GB, and then the OS has taken up the rest of the space. If I actually had 216GB usable space, what is the remaining 34GB?

lyrick

But it's supposed to be 250GB, I would imagine I would get the 232GB, and then the OS has taken up the rest of the space. If I actually had 216GB usable space, what is the remaining 34GB?

Edit: You're probably looking at some random backup/restore files that just eat up space.

H4r4kiri

What case is that?

Jap its a Coolermaster N200 :) The Case looks really good. The fans are a bit noisy but it is very okay. The Cableing was not the best i think ;)
But for the price it was very very good :)

@Lordalu

I hope you are satisfied with my work, because you took a big part in it ;)

Lexxism

My bad(I thought it was 232GB at first. No wonder why the number was odd lol). Yeah, 232GB usable space from 250GB.

LordAlu

Jap its a Coolermaster N200 :) The Case looks really good. The fans are a bit noisy but it is very okay. The Cableing was not the best i think ;)
But for the price it was very very good :)

@Lordalu

I hope you are satisfied with my work, because you took a big part in it ;)
Yup, the only suggestion I'd probably make is to pick up a pack of cable ties at some point and tie your cables up neatly, but other than that congrats! :)

Panzon

Well, if you are going to overclock your 780, I think it's worth it to take a look at the 780 Classified. It's basically on par with a stock 780 Ti out of the box, and can be pushed further.

dliohHg.png

But for G-Sync monitors, there's the ASUS VG248QE, 1080p, TN, and you have to install the G-Sync module yourself. Monitor is usually around $250, the module I think is $150 or $200. You can get monitors with it installed from Digital Storm, and a few other places.

The RoG G-Sync Monitor is 1440p, TN, and will come in at $800. It might not be out for another 2-3 months. Same thing with the Phillips one.
I'look into the cards some more when I get home.

I saw the vg248q at B&H yesterday when I went to buy the SSD and honestly was not impresses. Maybe it was the way they had it set up idk.

There is no way Im paying $800 for a monitor Haha. I'd rather get a Qnix korean monitor before I pay that much for a TN panel.
maybe the reviews can change my mind

Soodanim

I remember seeing a spreadsheet/table/list of the different GPU company RMA procedures, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it. Does anyone know what I mean?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280X_Gaming/26.html

The GTX 770 is a better card especially with a good third party cooler.

Is there any particular reason you say that? Benchmarks seem to have them very close, and they're about the same price in the UK at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom