• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Been offered the following for £450

Intel i5 3570S - Its a power daving CPU, so small clock difference against the 3570. Its ok.
12GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM (1x8GB + 1x4GB) - Prefer 1600Mhz
MSI H77-G43 Micro ATX motherboard - Cant overlclock on this board
HIS IceQ AMD Radeon 7950 3GB Graphics card - Good
120GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD  - Good
500GB WD Green 5400rpm hard disk drive - Will not be very good for gaming (load times)
XFX Pro Core 650w - Average quality

Wouldn't be what I'd choose personally but wondering what gaf thinks.

Not optimum at all for gaming, but its quite a good price.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for that explanation. Isn't "super-sampling" almost entirely a GPU dependent setting. When I enable that it completely destroys my frames. I'd have assumed the 265 would be more than capable of running that setting enabled but apparently not. Furthermore, I'm in the wilderness, in a completely isolated zone while ascertaining the performance of this GPU. It's not like I'm in a heavy zerg blob in wvw. During those times my frames can drop to as little as 5 FPS which obviously indicates a lack of optimization of the game itself or a CPU bottleneck. I never expected my frame rate to offer an improvement in those situations but for lounging about in a near isolated zone I completely expected this card to be able to max the settings. Very disappointed.
Not to be too harsh, but the 265 is a budget card. I think your expectations may have been a bit high.
Been offered the following for £450

Intel i5 3570S
12GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM (1x8GB + 1x4GB)
MSI H77-G43 Micro ATX motherboard
HIS IceQ AMD Radeon 7950 3GB Graphics card
120GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 
500GB WD Green 5400rpm hard disk drive
XFX Pro Core 650w

Wouldn't be what I'd choose personally but wondering what gaf thinks.
Pretty good deal.
Want a second opinion here. Is a PC with an i5 2500k , 8 gigs of ram, and GTX 560 worth $500?
Depends on the rest really. Probably yes.
Be warned with buying motherboards from Newegg... there was a popped capacitor on my board so I decided to RMA it and they claim bent pins on the CPU socket.

It's highly unlikely I bent them during installation, I've built dozens of PCs and the board otherwise seemed fine aside from the popped capacitor. Unfortunately I have no way to prove it so I'm out of luck. Didn't feel like having them ship it back and send it to Gigabyte for RMA, so just took the 50% refund. Plus I don't know if Newegg's RMA department bent them during inspection. Lost $100 for nothing, thanks Newegg.

Apparently this is a common occurrence with their RMA department, lots of reports about this, wish I knew beforehand. From now on I'm ordering from Amazon even if it means paying a higher price.
I always recommend RMA'ing with the manufacturer. I've never had a bad experience doing that.
Does anyone here have one of those micro atx small form factor powerful PCs? Thinking about building one of the recomended ones in the OP but 'm worried about heat/noise/upgradeability.
I have a few mATX and ITX systems (I'm assuming you mean the latter), and all the workstations I built at my business are ITX as well.

Heat/noise isn't an issue as long as you follow the SFF Guide. Upgradability is just the same as a full size PC pretty much. With ITX you're limited to a single PCI-E slot, which means no dual GPUs.
Im planning mine something like this
Lian Li PC 354B
Asus Rampage IV Gene
i7 4960X

Ati 5850 - yes its old lol
Corsair H80i
Corsair TX650
3xHDD's
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

I think upgradeability is not an issue, unless you want to go SLI/XFire which i see no reason to ever do. I always run a good GPU, then get another good GPU in a couple years down the line. SLI/XFire is not very efficient in terms of power consumption/heat output/noise and also game compatibility/scaling.

Similar Haswell build could be done, but tbh if you want to go 1150/1155 go Mini ITX. Fractual Node 304 build, Asus Z87/Z77 ITX board, GTX 780, 8/16GB DDR3.
Good choices :p

My old build:

q9iVRai.jpg

BrumGB

Just ordered all the parts for my first gaming PC build... Then to realise I don't have an operating system..

Best / Cheapest place to pick up Windows 7 or 8?

Almighty

Depends on the rest really. Probably yes.

It my friends PC that he wants to get rid of. Bought it for gaming a while back, but never used it for more then a media server and now wants to get rid of it. So besides what I mentioned it's has Windows 7, a blu-ray burner, and 2 1TB hard drives. As I was typing it he just got back so this is the motherboard I believe.

It is an upgrade compared to my current PC and if I do get it I would probably stick a better video card in it sometime towards the end of this year.

mkenyon

Banned
It my friends PC that he wants to get rid of. Bought it for gaming a while back, but never used it for more then a media server and now wants to get rid of it. So besides what I mentioned it's has Windows 7, a blu-ray burner, and 2 1TB hard drives. As I was typing it he just got back so this is the motherboard I believe.
The 560 is the only thing that I'm really 'meh' about. If there was an SSD, I'd say go for it without a doubt.

It's still a pretty good deal, and certainly better than what you would be able to buy new.

TheBear

This is the card I'm interested in:

9512_m.jpg

Can't seem to find a review on it, is it a decent card? Why is it cheaper than the other non-refs?
And will my Seasonic 500w PSU be able to power it?

Almighty

The 560 is the only thing that I'm really 'meh' about. If there was an SSD, I'd say go for it without a doubt.

It's still a pretty good deal, and certainly better than what you would be able to buy new.

Thanks for helping and yeah no SSD. The video card was my worry as well and I would probably be replacing it sometime this year. I just want to make sure that the rest of it would be able to last me a few years.

mkenyon

Banned
This is the card I'm interested in:

9512_m.jpg

Can't seem to find a review on it, is it a decent card? Why is it cheaper than the other non-refs?
And will my Seasonic 500w PSU be able to power it?
Yep, the Windforce cooler is top notch. It's probably cheaper due to a lower clock speed out of the box.

I wouldn't buy that unless you can get it for MSRP, which is $400. I might actually go as high as $450, but with the 780 at $500, it's pretty close.

If you have a socket 1155 or 1150 processor, you will be able to power it just fine with that PSU.
Thanks for helping and yeah no SSD. The video card was my worry as well and I would probably be replacing it sometime this year. I just want to make sure that the rest of it would be able to last me a few years.
The only other thing you'd want to take into consideration is the lack of PCI-E 3.0. That's not an issue right now, but it might be two years down the line.

Cheers for the opinions folks. I'll hold out.

Plan from start was to build my own when Star Citizen came out but that build did tempt me a little bit.

What would be a good upgrade from a GTX 590? I have an Alienware Aurora r3, i7 2600 no sdd. I want to upgrade my gpu once before buying a new Alienware. Could I conceivably run the TOTL cards, or do those have stringent mobo requirements? I think I have a 750w psu.

mkenyon

Banned
Old? What are you working on now?
Gigabyte Sniper M5 and delidded 4770k. I did the vice method.

The Rampage blew up at PDXLAN in July. Seeing smoke come out of the socket was gut wrenching
What would be a good upgrade from a GTX 590? I have an Alienware Aurora r3, i7 2600 no sdd. I want to upgrade my gpu once before buying a new Alienware. Could I conceivably run the TOTL cards, or do those have stringent mobo requirements? I think I have a 750w psu.
A teammate just upgraded from a 590 to a 780 and is extremely happy with it.

bro1

Banned
Be warned with buying motherboards from Newegg... there was a popped capacitor on my board so I decided to RMA it and they claim bent pins on the CPU socket.

It's highly unlikely I bent them during installation, I've built dozens of PCs and the board otherwise seemed fine aside from the popped capacitor. Unfortunately I have no way to prove it so I'm out of luck. Didn't feel like having them ship it back and send it to Gigabyte for RMA, so just took the 50% refund. Plus I don't know if Newegg's RMA department bent them during inspection. Lost $100 for nothing, thanks Newegg.

Apparently this is a common occurrence with their RMA department, lots of reports about this, wish I knew beforehand. From now on I'm ordering from Amazon even if it means paying a higher price.
Amazons return policy is the best. Not worth the newegg hassle.

bro1

Banned
Gigabyte Sniper M5 and delidded 4770k. I did the vice method.

The Rampage blew up at PDXLAN in July. Seeing smoke come out of the socket was gut wrenching
A teammate just upgraded from a 590 to a 780 and is extremely happy with it.
What caused that? Extreme oc?

GTX 570
i5 2400
1tb HDD
8gigs ram

Should I upgrade my PC at this point in time? As simple as pulling the old one and installing the replacement? Probably get a solid state hard drive as well.

kennah

GTX 570
i5 2400
1tb HDD
8gigs ram

Should I upgrade my PC at this point in time? As simple as pulling the old one and installing the replacement? Probably get a solid state hard drive as well.
It's really up to you. Is it feeling slow? What kind of budget? An SSD would make a giant improvement in how it feels. You could easily pop a better video card or cpu in.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
GTX 570
i5 2400
1tb HDD
8gigs ram

$60 - $100 for an SSD could really liven your system up.

Edit: see above

scogoth

GTX 570
i5 2400
1tb HDD
8gigs ram

Still looking pretty good, my roommate has a very similar setup and plays any game just fine. SSD would be the best thing to get right now, will make your computer feel way more responsive.

Ashhong

So guys I plugged in my ssd and booted into windows on my existing hdd. I then mounted my w7 ISO and am installing w7 into my ssd using a virtual mount.

My question is, will I be able to make my ssd be my C drive or am I stuck having it as my h drive?

whats a good guide for cpu OC for dummies? Haven't messed with that stuff for about half a decade and completely forgot everything about how that works.

Got
Z77 mobo

hyper 212 plus.

Ashhong

Ok just thought it might mess up file paths or something.

One more thing, when I set my ssd as first boot it gives me error like "select proper boot device". I leave it as hdd and then I get an option to select the OS to boot and my ssd boots just fine. What gives?

Edit: I think it has something to do with AHCi? I'm trying to enable it in bios but just getting boot errors...hmmm

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll see how far this gets me into the year. Was worried my CPU may be getting a bit too old. I'll spring for an SSD. Probably a new monitor as well. Maybe a bit more RAM while I'm at it.

scogoth

One more thing, when I set my ssd as first boot it gives me error like "select proper boot device". I leave it as hdd and then I get an option to select the OS to boot and my ssd boots just fine. What gives?

Edit: I think it has something to do with AHCi? I'm trying to enable it in bios but just getting boot errors...hmmm

You *might* have file path issues. If you installed Windows under IDE mode then switch to ACHI you need to do this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
whats a good guide for cpu OC for dummies? Haven't messed with that stuff for about half a decade and completely forgot everything about how that works.

Got
Z77 mobo

hyper 212 plus.
5th line of OP and second section of second post

You need to install it as AHCI to use AHCI iirc.
*Oh, I guess there's a work around

mr stroke

Finally got my first solo built PC all finished-

UbYxSVNl.jpg

Thanks to PC GAF for all the help :)

Was actually a lot easier than I thought(thank god it posted on 1st boot) Took about 2 hours to get everything installed(Youtube videos were a ton of help) My cabling sucks ass, but for a first time build ill take it.

Now for 2 days of poopsocking some 4k Titanfall :p

x3sphere

Finally got my first solo built PC all finished-

UbYxSVNl.jpg

Thanks to PC GAF for all the help :)

Was actually a lot easier than I thought(thank god it posted on 1st boot) Took about 2 hours to get everything installed(Youtube videos were a ton of help) My cabling sucks ass, but for a first time build ill take it.

Now for 2 days of poopsocking some 4k Titanfall :p

Nice :)

I joined the 4K club today too, got the same monitor. It's gorgeous :D

Ashhong

Boot up into windows again and and go into Disk Management to make sure the System Reserved partition on the SSD is marked as active.

I did that in diskpart using windows install disk and now it's giving me bootmgr missing error. I give up! I'm just reinstalling windows now after disconnecting my other drives.

Edit: jk repair startup on my install disk did the trick uay

Panzon

Hey guys should I get the 780 SC ACX or is the 780 ti that much better and worth the extra $200? This and the monitor are the last decisions I need to make for my build. Im leaning more towards gaming at 1080p since 27 inches is too big for me.

Thanks in advanced!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hey guys should I get the 780 SC ACX or is the 780 ti that much better and worth the extra $200? This and the monitor are the last decisions I need to make for my build. Im leaning more towards gaming at 1080p since 27 inches is too big for me.

Thanks in advanced!

if you're not overclocking then the sc acx is equivalent to the titan. i picked up an acx sc refurb for 480 cdn and it's pretty sweet.

edit: apparently the gtx 780 acx sc overclocks better than a titan: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/29.html. ill try it out myself this weekend when i oc my cpu.

Panzon

if you're not overclocking then the sc acx is equivalent to the titan. i picked up an acx sc refurb for 480 cdn and it's pretty sweet.

edit: apparently the gtx 780 acx sc overclocks better than a titan: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/29.html. ill try it out myself this weekend when i oc my cpu.

Wow those numbers are insane. Im more than happy to constantly get 60 fps so this is looking like the winner over the Ti. My whole thing is why spend an extra $200 for such little gains. Am I wrong for thinking like this?

Anyways, please post how it goes when you do it and let us know

5th line of OP and second section of second post

cool thanks! Read through it... man are things much easier now o_O

You have mouse controls in modern bios now???

Will try OCing this weekend.

Wow those numbers are insane. Im more than happy to constantly get 60 fps so this is looking like the winner over the Ti. My whole thing is why spend an extra $200 for such little gains. Am I wrong for thinking like this?

Anyways, please post how it goes when you do it and let us know

do know that there is a 780ti sc acx as well that will OC even higher too ;)

You can never have too much power, but 1080p 60fps, 780 should be fine for a good while.

scogoth

I'm seeing a lot of systems recently in SLI with reference cards. Any reason for that?

Blower style coolers work better for SLI because they dump all the heat outside the case. Also reference cards are tapered at the end to allow airflow to the fan when stacked next to other GPUs. Customer coolers are often designed for noise and performance for only single card setups

TheD

The Detective
And then "new simple volume"?
1Nt2pCF.png

I think you have a problem.

Note how there is a partition on the HDD called "System Reserved"?
That contains the windows boot loader and it should of never been made on that drive, it should be on your SSD.
The problem with having it on your HDD is that it it ever fails or you remove it, you will no longer be able to boot windows, bar the fact it is not on that drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom