• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it, OCing is fun, but are there even that many CPU intensive games that a 3570k can't handle stock speed atm? Maybe the mythical gta5 PC will.

TheCloser

Banned
Hey guys, I built my pc a while ago but I didn't purchase a gpu at the time because I didn't have any money. Anyway, my pc is pretty beastly and i was looking at purchasing a gpu. My gpu of choice would be a gtx 780 and i now have enough money to purchase it. My problem is that I can't think of one game on PC to justify the purchase. I already have a ps4 so there is a lot of overlap in games. I'm looking for some good advice on what to do. What is releasing on PC that might justify such a purchase? If the ps4 wasn't embracing indies then I wouldn't have this problem. As it stands, the indie pc games I'm interested in will probably make their way to ps4. Star citizen and h-hour were the two games I was looking forward to. I would have gone pc only but nhl, WWE, and Sony games don't show up on PC. I also hate using voip and feel like a chat app should be integrated into steam. What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Pachimari

I think you have a problem.

Note how there is a partition on the HDD called "System Reserved"?
That contains the windows boot loader and it should of never been made on that drive, it should be on your SSD.
The problem with having it on your HDD is that it it ever fails or you remove it, you will no longer be able to boot windows, bar the fact it is not on that drive!

*welp* How do I fix this? =/

Should I format all the drives and install Windows 7 again?

Ashhong

*welp* How do I fix this? =/

Should I format all the drives and install Windows 7 again?

How did you install windows? Using a usb stick? I just ran into this problem myself. I installed windows onto a drive while booted into windows and it caused a bunch of issues.

Unplug all hard drives except your ssd, boot your computer from your windows usb, erase your entire ssd drive, then simply install windows onto it. Should work like a charm.

Hey guys, I built my pc a while ago but I didn't purchase a gpu at the time because I didn't have any money. Anyway, my pc is pretty beastly and i was looking at purchasing a gpu. My gpu of choice would be a gtx 780 and i now have enough money to purchase it. My problem is that I can't think of one game on PC to justify the purchase. I already have a ps4 so there is a lot of overlap in games. I'm looking for some good advice on what to do. What is releasing on PC that might justify such a purchase? If the ps4 wasn't embracing indies then I wouldn't have this problem. As it stands, the indie pc games I'm interested in will probably make their way to ps4. Star citizen and h-hour were the two games I was looking forward to. I would have gone pc only but nhl, WWE, and Sony games don't show up on PC. I also hate using voip and feel like a chat app should be integrated into steam. What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

If you can't justify the cost of a GTX 780 get a 760 instead, it'll still beat the pants off your PS4 and you save $300.

If you can no longer see the value in PC gaming it's a real shame you spent all that money on a "beastly" PC.

If you can't justify the cost of a GTX 780 get a 760 instead, it'll still beat the pants off your PS4 and you save $300.

If you can no longer see the value in PC gaming it's a real shame you spent all that money on a "beastly" PC.

GTX 770 is a better Cost/Performance value. GTX 760 performs about where the GTX 670 did (plus or minus some %) but the GTX 770 performs notably better than the GTX 680 did, and overclocks a little better. It's a very good deal for $330.

TheCloser

Banned

The problem is where I live, a 760 costs 300 and a 780 is 500. The 760 is just a rebranded 670 on the GK104 chip and its not worth the price in my view. I use my computer for programming as well. Lots of programming and Web design. Im just not sure what to do.

Pachimari

How did you install windows? Using a usb stick? I just ran into this problem myself. I installed windows onto a drive while booted into windows and it caused a bunch of issues.

Unplug all hard drives except your ssd, boot your computer from your windows usb, erase your entire ssd drive, then simply install windows onto it. Should work like a charm.

But this is what I did the first time. I guess I can try again. :)

Hi lads,

Looking to maybe make an upgrade or two to the PC and could use some opinions.

Picked up a PS4 recently which is taking up a good amount of my gaming time but with the downgrades some games are getting and my graphic whorish nature I thought if I can get away with just a couple new parts, then why the hell not ;)

This is my current Rig:

CPU : Intel Core i7 2600
GPU : Radeon HD6950 1GB x 2 in Crossfire.
Ram : G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard
Power : Corsair HX-750 Power Supply

I was thinking maybe new GPU and Ram? Also still don't have a SSD.

In regards to the GPU I was thinking a AMD R9 290, although I was also looking at the possibility of 2 x GTX 760s. Although part of me wants to go back to a single card solution.

Also to note I do play at 2560 x 1440.

Thanks for the input lads. With the likes of Watch Dogs (E3 2012, right? lol) , The division and Witcher 3 coming I want something that can hopefully stand up to the task.

Alvarez

Banned

Windows will auto-install to any hard drives that are connected at the time of installation. The non-SSD drives need to be completely disconnected. It's very stupid, but the same thing happened to me.

So format both drives, disconnect the non-SSD, and reinstall Windows on the SSD only. THEN connect the other drive after you have set up Windows.

KTT

Windows will auto-install to any hard drives that are connected at the time of installation. The non-SSD drives need to be completely disconnected. It's very stupid, but the same thing happened to me.

So format both drives, disconnect the non-SSD, and reinstall Windows on the SSD only. THEN connect the other drive after you have set up Windows.

And make sure your comp is turned off when you connect/disconnect your hard drive :)

Hi lads,

Picked up a PS4 recently which is taking up a good amount of my gaming time but with the downgrades some games are getting and my graphic whorish nature I thought if I can get away with just a couple new parts, then why the hell not ;)

This is my current Rig:

In regards to the GPU I was thinking a AMD R9 290, although I was also looking at the possibility of 2 x GTX 760s. Although part of me wants to go back to a single card solution.

Thanks for the input lads. With the likes of Watch Dogs (E3 2012, right? lol) , The division and Witcher 3 coming I want something that can hopefully stand up to the task.

There is not really a need for more RAM at the moment. I'd definitely pick a small SSD over a RAM upgrade. As for the GPU, you can better go for a single card setup. I don't know if the GPU card prices are inflated at your place, but you might want to go for a Nvidia equivalent or wait for new cards.

SmartBase

Thinking about it, OCing is fun, but are there even that many CPU intensive games that a 3570k can't handle stock speed atm? Maybe the mythical gta5 PC will.

A heavily modded Skyrim is about the only game I can think of, it's so damn primitive. On my last build there was a 15-20% difference in FPS between stock 2700k at 3.5Ghz and 5.0Ghz. GPU was a GTX670.

I'm still looking for a (single?) GPU solution for 60fps gaming at 3440x1440. I don't mind just using post-process antialiasing so I'm not too sure if a dual card setup is needed.

Water

People are sacrificing noise and lower card temps for pushing GPU heat out.
I'd just add more fans. Noise isn't worth it and I want OC room. Personal choice.
Noise levels on NV high-end reference cooler are pretty good though. Especially load noise.

KTT

I'm still looking for a (single?) GPU solution for 60fps gaming at 3440x1440. I don't mind just using post-process antialiasing so I'm not too sure if a dual card setup is needed.

Did you type that right? Ultrawide? nom nom nom

You got pics of it on hand?

Kylejc86

Ok guys so I have a Shuttle SZ77R5 with an intel 3570k and I originally had a geforce 210 in there but I decided to use the onboard HD 4000 but after installing the newest intel drivers I have the infamous black screen of death right after the windows logo then it restarts a couple minutes after this.

I have took out the 210 completely formatted everything and installed windows 7 but as soon as I load that driver and it restarts I get that black screen. My bios is up to date also.

I think you guys are smarter than most of the threads I have been on and hope someone has experienced and has a fix for this.

GAF you are my only hope!!!!

SmartBase

Did you type that right? Ultrawide? nom nom nom

You got pics of it on hand?

There are two models as far as I know, the LG 34um95 and Dell's equivalent. I don't have one yet but I'm definitely grabbing one if their IPS panels turn out to be decent.

My problem is that I can't think of one game on PC to justify the purchase.

I already have a ps4

What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

If your current PC runs the games you want to play on it fine then there's no need to upgrade. I totally understand that "want to upgrade" itch but just wait for now.

Once a game comes along that is better on PC (maybe Dragon Age, Witcher 3) upgrade then. You'll also benefit far more from waiting a little after the console launches to upgrade. Anything you buy now will be more or less on a par with your PS4. In a year's time when Witcher 3 lands, GPUs will blow away the PS4's GPU.

TL;DR: Wait until there's a game you want.

If you really must buy something, pick up a second hand card from someone on NeoGAF to tide you over until you do a 'real' upgrade.

Pachimari

And make sure your comp is turned off when you connect/disconnect your hard drive :)

I'm formatting my HDD now and then I'm gonna disconnect it and try install Windows 7 on the SSD.

Should my drives be NTFS or exFAT?

LilJoka

I'm formatting my HDD now and then I'm gonna disconnect it and try install Windows 7 on the SSD.

Should my drives be NTFS or exFAT?

NTFS. Windows auto installs it's boot loader to any drive that already has Windiws installed at the point of new installation. So that can mess things up. Best to only have the single drive connected upon installation.

jfoul

So, I'm looking to possibly buy a used GPU to hold me over until Maxwell. I've looked at GAF Buy/Sell, HardOCP Buy/Sell, Craigslist, EVGA Refurb store, Amazon Warehouse Deals and Ebay. I've never bought a used GPU before, am I missing some outlets?

BrumGB

Split between these two cards, I'm not too clued up about computer components so you're help is appreciated.

R9 280x 3gb

GTX 770 2gb

Looking for something to last me a few years hopefully. My current build is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£62.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.73 @ Aria PC)
Total: £490.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 11:34 GMT+0000)

If that is of any help.

Thanks in advanced for the help

Soodanim

Split between these two cards, I'm not too clued up about computer components so you're help is appreciated.

R9 280x 3gb

GTX 770 2gb

Looking for something to last me a few years hopefully. My current build is:

If that is of any help.

Thanks in advanced for the help

I've been thinking the same question, as I'm looking to build almost the same build as that, so I'd like opinions on that too.

Alduin

Probably has been asked quite a number of times already, but, I just want to confirm it;
Is is it worth getting the 4GB version of GTX760 over the 2GB one?

R9 280x 3gb

GTX 770 2gb

Looking for something to last me a few years hopefully.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280X_Gaming/26.html

The GTX 770 is a better card especially with a good third party cooler.

Probably has been asked quite a number of times already, but, I just want to confirm it;

Absolutely not. You're paying substantially more for VRAM that is crippled and offers no performance gains.

kiyomi

Kinda decided to make a change to my previous build and go with mATX, since I liked the look of the CM N200 case as it seems better value for the money over the 210 Elite, and I prefer the smaller, lighter form factor.

I'm gonna need an mATX board to go in it, and here are the options in my price range;

Asus Z87M-Plus (£93.98)
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H (£102.07)
Asus GRYPHON Z87 (£110.96)

I could only find a solid review of the Gryphon, and I like the fact that it has a 5 year warranty. I'm not going to be going for super crazy overclocks so I'm just looking for a solid board that will suit my needs (single GPU and a wireless card).

I'm guessing that the M-Plus would totally suit my needs but that warranty on the Gryphon is something that means a lot to me.

Thoughts, GAF? For reference, I was looking at the Asus Z87-A board when I was considering full ATX.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i would get the 4gb if you were planning to sli another 760 in the future. otherwise, i would probably get the 2gb.

Pachimari

Okay, so I removed my HDD while I installed Windows 7 on the SSD and then I connected my HDD again. But there's still a "reserved" one, why?
And why are both SSD and HDD Primary Partition?

A7Nz94K.png

In other news, the store I bought all of my PC parts from just accepted my RMA for the video card, so hopefully they'll exchange it.

LilJoka

Okay, so I removed my HDD while I installed Windows 7 on the SSD and then I connected my HDD again. But there's still a "reserved" one, why?

In other news, the store I bought all of my PC parts from just accepted my RMA for the video card, so hopefully they'll exchange it.

Because you had Windows installed to the HDD before, and Windows always creates a reserved partition for the bootloader. Its kind of odd the SSD does not have it.

But you can right click G:\ partition, change the drive letter, click remove drive letter and it wont show in Explorer.

Or if the HDD is empty, delete all partitions and create 1 new one.

LilJoka

But haven't I set it up the wrong way?

If its setup wrong you can test. Unplug the HDD, see if the SSD boots. If SSD boots, then its fine. Just delete all partitions on the HDD and create one new one of type NTFS.

If it doesnt boot, delete the partitions on the HDD, unplug the HDD.
Re install Windows to the SSD, in the installer, delete the SSD partition, and click Next (Windows autmatically will setup the SSD for you).
Once installed, plug the HDD in, in the partitions create a new partition for the HDD.

Dion

Banned

Windows 7 puts the boot loader on a separate partition. Delete the partitions and Format the HD on another PC if u don't want it.

Pachimari

If its setup wrong you can test. Unplug the HDD, see if the SSD boots. If SSD boots, then its fine. Just delete all partitions on the HDD and create one new one of type NTFS.

If it doesnt boot, delete the partitions on the HDD, unplug the HDD.
Re install Windows to the SSD, in the installer, delete the SSD partition, and click Next (Windows autmatically will setup the SSD for you).
Once installed, plug the HDD in, in the partitions create a new partition for the HDD.
This is what I just did though.

I guess it's fine then. Earlier in the thread it were said, that there shouldn't be a "system reserved" or else I misunderstood.

And does Windows 7 really take up 38GB? I "only" have 194GB left on my 232GB (250GB) SSD. =/

LilJoka

This is what I just did though.

I guess it's fine then. Earlier in the thread it were said, that there shouldn't be a "system reserved" or else I misunderstood.

System reserved should be on the same drive as C:\. But once i also had it so that it was merged with the C:\ and didnt showup.

Anyway, if the SSD boots without the HDD plugged, just delete all partitions on the HDD and create a new one, that will get rid of the 100mb partition that is no being used now.

Pachimari

System reserved should be on the same drive as C:\. But once i also had it so that it was merged with the C:\ and didnt showup.

Anyway, if the SSD boots without the HDD plugged, just delete all partitions on the HDD and create a new one, that will get rid of the 100mb partition that is no being used now.

It boots up without the HDD plugged in.

How do I delete the partition on the HDD then? Like this?

Titanfall. The Xbone guys don't know what they are missing. It's a real shame I'm at work for the next 6 hours. Get a 770 4GB or a 780, both are very solid choices. Titanfall's max settings require 3+GB of VRAM. Says so right in the options.

To the guy buying the 760, if you must buy a card right now, I'd go with 4GB. It's normally an extra 40-50 bucks and definitely worth it for games that are/will require it and just incase you SLI in the future.

Akai__

Bii

Titanfall. The Xbone guys don't know what they are missing. It's a real shame I'm at work for the next 6 hours. Get a 770 4GB or a 780, both are very solid choices. Titanfall's max settings require 3+GB of VRAM. Says so right in the options.

To the guy buying the 760, if you must buy a card right now, I'd go with 4GB. It's normally an extra 40-50 bucks and definitely worth it for games that are/will require it and just incase you SLI in the future.

Man, Titanfall runs great on my 780. I get a few frame drops here and there (literally just a few, minimum FPS was 56 in all of my time played) on max settings @1440p. It sucks that Respawn capped the FPS at 60, though.

jiggles

Banned
Imagine me holding my thumb and index finger really close together.

I am *this* close to buying a Corsair Air 540 to replace my cramped Antec 900. Cable management has been a nightmare since day 1 and it's becoming so difficult to access ports with the connectors that I feel like I'm starting to bend things close to their limit.

I've seen a few people here rave about it, so I'll probably just roll the PSU upgrade I've been meaning to do into it with a 1000W RM1000 and be done with it. The simple motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade I was intending to do will have snowballed into an entire system replacement, but I guess it gives me a complete second system that I can use for something else or sell to recoup some of the costs.

I'll let the first reply decide if I should do it or not, so I have peace of mind/
someone to blame

EDIT: Oh, fuck it. It's done. I'd have been deliberating over it for ages.

I'm planning to get this Asus GeForce GTX 780,, because my current GPU (kennah's AMD Powercolor HD6850) isn't enough anymore.
It has served me very well, but I want to be able to run titles like Watch_Dogs in 1080p and at least 30FPS (preferably 60FPS) and I was wondering, if I'm set with that one?
Appareantly, these are the minimum specs, if that helps somehow.

Also, reposting, because it's still happening and I don't know, what to do...

Like every time, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

if you are looking for a card for watch_dogs, it probably makes the most sense to just wait until near when the game is out. It's a nvidia partnered game so I'm betting they will probably package it with new gpu's around when its out.

Man, Titanfall runs great on my 780. I get a few frame drops here and there (literally just a few, minimum FPS was 56 in all of my time played) on max settings @1440p. It sucks that Respawn capped the FPS at 60, though.

Same here @1200p. Did you use 8xMSAA or the 16qCSAA? I didn't have a clue what the 16 one was so I just picked 8xMSAA.

diaspora

If one were to switch from AMD to Intel, or Intel to AMD I'm guessing they'd have to re-install Windows 8 right? Would making and booting from a recovery drive be good enough for this then?

Hi lads,

This is my current Rig:

There is not really a need for more RAM at the moment. I'd definitely pick a small SSD over a RAM upgrade. As for the GPU, you can better go for a single card setup. I don't know if the GPU card prices are inflated at your place, but you might want to go for a Nvidia equivalent or wait for new cards.

Cheers for the replies.

I am not in any real hurry either, has there been any word on what the next 6+ months looks like for GPUs? The 800 series is meant to be out sometime soon right? And that is a new architecture correct? Which to my limited knowledge sounds like a good thing ;D

mkenyon

Banned
CRUCIAL M500 480GB FOR FREAKING $220!!!!!

Link. Promo code: EMCYTZT5869
If one were to switch from AMD to Intel, or Intel to AMD I'm guessing they'd have to re-install Windows 8 right? Would making and booting from a recovery drive be good enough for this then?
Reformat.
Impossible. 120 FPS is broken right now.

H4r4kiri

SO in finally build my Mom PC . Everything went good on the first try. Just one question. Is it normal that the i3 with fan comes without a cooling paste ?

Cable Managment was a mess with the Case and PSU :D

I hope i did okay.

Here is the result. I installed Windows and now i have just to install all drivers and to config windows 8.1 and the Harddrive. Any suggestions with that ? :)

Q1bpf1E.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom