• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Swine

Banned
M500 is very solid and prices have dropped a ton recently. I just bought the 120GB GB drive and it arrived today, so I haven't installed my OS on it yet. But, it seems like a great buy.

It is definitely a good buy. I suppose it will feel better than when you first got it, unless with a new one you mean a current laptop.

I'd recommend you get more RAM too, because 2GB is pretty tiny these days.

1) Yes
2) No, but it will be snappy on boot and when you open programs.

Thanks for the answers :) yeah I'm going to upgrade the memory too, hopefully it's not that much more expensive than normal ram for PC's. I bought the 240GB because it's faster than the 120GB version

knitoe

Thanks for the answers :) yeah I'm going to upgrade the memory too, hopefully it's not that much more expensive than normal ram for PC's. I bought the 240GB because it's faster than the 120GB version

You are not going to notice much of a speed difference since they all have ~0 seek times. Faster speed only comes into play if you do lots of writes, video editing, copy large files and etc. But, having more space is always a plus if you can afford it.

Smokey

Review of the 780Ti Matrix is up on Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_ti_matrix_review,1.html

FZ4GcTM.jpg

Look at the power delivery, good lord:

2KsYMXM.jpg

So good.

This is why I need to move on from my FT02.

Bii

Anyone else get a $10 promotion gift card for the Windows Store for updating to Windows 8.1 recently? I didn't realize there was a promo until I got the code in an email just now.

Flaxh

1) Yes
2) No, but it will be snappy on boot and when you open programs.

M500 is very solid and prices have dropped a ton recently. I just bought the 120GB GB drive and it arrived today, so I haven't installed my OS on it yet. But, it seems like a great buy.

I bought mine today and it should arrive next week. Installing it shouldn't be too hard but Ive been thinking about the use of the SSD and what do you guys recommend? I already have a WD 1TB HDD. Should I install the OS and all the programs like steam and games in the SSD while keeping my media in the 1TB disk?

LilJoka

I bought mine today and it should arrive next week. Installing it shouldn't be too hard but Ive been thinking about the use of the SSD and what do you guys recommend? I already have a WD 1TB HDD. Should I install the OS and all the programs like steam and games in the SSD while keeping my media in the 1TB disk?

I have my OS and most used applications on the SSD. Any game you play a lot and has long loading screens could also be put on the SSD, but SSD wont give any more fps. Best to keep all large items on the HDD.

OS always goes on the SSD. Top priority absolutely. After that, most-used software (Photoshop for example) and then any games you use frequently.

Tablo

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processor...Offers-Haswell-Improved-TIM-9-series-Chipsets

Yesss!!!! Can't wait to see how this impacts overclocking and thermals for Haswell :D
Also Broadwell K with Iris Pro and eDRAM for early 2015 probably? Fuck yeah it seems Intel still sort of cares :)))

Can't wait for the 9 series chipset motherboards, this is good stuff.
Rejoice!

The Broadwell with Iris Pro unlocked part will be drop in compatible with the upcoming 9 series motherboards :DDDD YESSSS, upgrade paths ahoy!

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-brings-Iris-Pro-Graphics-Broadwell-LGA-Sockets

LilJoka

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processor...Offers-Haswell-Improved-TIM-9-series-Chipsets

Yesss!!!! Can't wait to see how this impacts overclocking and thermals for Haswell :D
Also Broadwell K with Iris Pro and eDRAM for early 2015 probably? Fuck yeah it seems Intel still sort of cares :)))

Can't wait for the 9 series chipset motherboards, this is good stuff.
Rejoice!

Yes its sounding like they are looking at the desktop market once more. They really had no reason to increase TIM quality from a business perspective.
The last year i worked at Intel, all i heard was ultrabook, convertible, tablet, windows 8. Drove me and my mates there crazy. At the coffee shop, you over hear sales people portraying these crap devices as the bees knees, having absolutely no clue about them, only because someone had told them so.
I think they are slowly coming to realization, Windows 8 is not selling these devices, and PC sales are in decline, they need a new strategy. This could be a small part of it. They have no reason to bring Iris Pro to desktop CPUs either. Very nice performance from the GPU if i may say so myself.

LilJoka

I can get a really good deal now so I'm looking at taking advantage. I don't even know what haswell is.

X79 is a bit of a mess, I would wait till Haswell E too. They will have 6 core and 8 core variants. You may be able to pick a 6 core at the i7 4820 price point.
However be prepared to be ripped off with DDR4 RAM and X99 Motherboards.

Tablo

If anyone needs a fantastic closed gaming headset recommendation the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO is now only 210$ on Amazon (I bought it on launch full price, no regrets)!
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G4ME-ZERO-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Really clean analytical sound, super comfy, great build, amazing mic.
Ignore the garish white color, it's a super awesome headset :)
I have it paired with a SoundBlaster Omni for virtual surround and for the good headphone amp, though if you have a good source off the bat you will be good to go!

Tablo

I can get a really good deal now so I'm looking at taking advantage. I don't even know what haswell is.

X79 is really old at this point, even if it costs a bit more, Haswell E is the best option going forward. You won't regret it. How good of a deal are you getting though? If it's really good maybe it makes sense not to wait.

X79 is really old at this point, even if it costs a bit more, Haswell E is the best option going forward. You won't regret it. How good of a deal are you getting though? If it's really good maybe it makes sense not to wait.

100 for the 4 core, and 250 for the 6 core. I didn't know if the extra two cores were worth the extra 150. It seems like nothing I've read about when it comes to gaming uses all 4 cores. Shit like diablo, wow, etc only use 2 cores. If i wanted to max out skyrim I think the 6 cores would be worth it but I figured I'd ask the experts (you guys).

Tablo

100 for the 4 core, and 250 for the 6 core. I didn't know if the extra two cores were worth the extra 150. It seems like nothing I've read about when it comes to gaming uses all 4 cores. Shit like diablo, wow, etc only use 2 cores. If i wanted to max out skyrim I think the 6 cores would be worth it but I figured I'd ask the experts (you guys).

Oh, well considering the 6 core Haswell E part will be under 400$ I would wait, yeah that is 100-150~ you're saving, but not enough to compensate IMO

If you're mainly gaming maybe you should stick with the mainstream Z87 (soon to be Z97) platform.

kennah

If you aren't using this computer for professional apps/ editing / encoding you don't need a six core.

I'm not sure the benefits of the cheaper chip will outweigh the extra costs in motherboard though.

Oh, well considering the 6 core Haswell E part will be under 400$ I would wait, yeah that is 100-150~ you're saving, but not enough to compensate IMO

If you're mainly gaming maybe you should stick with the mainstream Z87 (soon to be Z97) platform.

So the 100 dollar chip instead of the 250? Reason is, this PC will probably be used for 3-5 years. I just haven't heard of any games using 4 cores, let alone 6.

If you aren't using this computer for professional apps/ editing / encoding you don't need a six core.

I'm not sure the benefits of the cheaper chip will outweigh the extra costs in motherboard though.

My wife will be using it for software coding and for photo shop. I'll be gaming on it, but nothing cutting edge. Diablo, wow, indy's on steam. I have a friend who can get us a stupid deal on some parts so I wanted to take advantage.

Tablo

So the 100 dollar chip instead of the 250? Reason is, this PC will probably be used for 3-5 years. I just haven't heard of any games using 4 cores, let alone 6.

Honestly dude you should just wait a bit and grab one of the refreshed Haswell quadcores and a Z97 motherboard, that will last you 3-5 years easily overclocked.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Devils-Canyon-Offers-Haswell-Improved-TIM-9-series-Chipsets
^Be patient a bit and just go this route :) For gaming it's the optimal choice, and it'll be fantastic for your wife's uses as well, load it up with 16-32 GB of fast RAM and you'll be perfect. Just hold out a tad more for the refresh, as mentioned in this link :)

Decado

I just overclocked my i5 3570k to 4.2 Ghz and did a stress test, just for 5 minutes, but temps were already averaging around the mid-60's to low 70's, peaking at the high 70's. I noticed that my machine wasn't making any more noise than usual...the CPU fan speed doesn't seem to increase when it is under stress.

I assume those temps aren't very good (particularly since they will probably get higher for longer play sessions). I have a Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mobo. Do I need to change some settings in the BIOS to cool things down a bit more, or I am stuck with what I've got?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is it a safe guess that current Haswell boards would support the upcoming Haswell Refresh? Then new boards would be required for Haswell-E?

So, I built my fiancee a low cost desktop in December of 2012. At the time, that Samsung low profile DDR3 RAM was super affordable; I got 2x4 GB for $32 or something brand new. I hear it can now sell for as much as $100-$150 used. Since she doesn't over clock it at all, would you guys say it is reasonable for us to sell it and just buy a standard-sized set of sticks for $35 or so? Or, am I delirious to think the used Samsung RAM is worth that much?

Honestly dude you should just wait a bit and grab one of the refreshed Haswell quadcores and a Z97 motherboard, that will last you 3-5 years easily overclocked.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Devils-Canyon-Offers-Haswell-Improved-TIM-9-series-Chipsets
^Be patient a bit and just go this route :) For gaming it's the optimal choice, and it'll be fantastic for your wife's uses as well, load it up with 16-32 GB of fast RAM and you'll be perfect. Just hold out a tad more for the refresh, as mentioned in this link :)

Thanks for the reply, man. This is one of those things where I'm getting stuff for a stupidly cheap price and I would be dumb to pass it up. I just looked up haswells and I'm basically getting a mobo ram and chip for what one of those haswells would cost.

Would you go with the 6 core or the 4? It's basically the difference between spending 300 total (mobo, ram and chip) if I went with the quad, or 450 (mobo, ram and chip) for the 6 core. I just don't know if the 6 cores is something most things use. Like I said, my wife does software stuff, she uses photo shop and all that, so would it be worth going with the 6 core? We won't be replacing this stuff for at least 4 or 5 years. So I'm guessing the 150 difference wouldn't be too much but I wanted to get some opinions.

I appreciate the reply. :)

I just overclocked my i5 3570k to 4.2 Ghz and did a stress test, just for 5 minutes, but temps were already averaging around the mid-60's to low 70's, peaking at the high 70's. I noticed that my machine wasn't making any more noise than usual...the CPU fan speed doesn't seem to increase when it is under stress.

I assume those temps aren't very good (particularly since they will probably get higher for longer play sessions). I have a Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mobo. Do I need to change some settings in the BIOS to cool things down a bit more, or I am stuck with what I've got?

what fan?

OK, I'm about to pull the trigger on a mobo for my Kaveri build. (I'll be running sans dGPU for a while.) I'll need a board that makes OC'ing as painless as possible.

Which of these mobos should I go with? The ASRock is the the cheapest at $89.99 on sale at Microcenter. The Gigabyte is $99.98, and the MSI is $114.99. Do any of these have any "stand out" features that would make them a must buy?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fm2a88xextreme6

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a88xup4

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a88xg45gaming

Also, should I go with 16GB 2133 RAM since it's effectively feeding both the CPU and GPU? Or will 8GB be sufficient?

maneil99

What stress test, those temps are fine for prime95/IBT. Temps plateau at a point.

Decado

What stress test, those temps are fine for prime95/IBT. Temps plateau at a point.

AIDA64 Extreme. At what point do they usually plateau? 10 minutes, an hour?

BTW, are the temps going to be lower/same/higher when gaming?

EDIT: Left it on a little longer and temps seem to be closer to low-70s average, with highs at the high 70s.

Tablo

Thanks for the reply, man. This is one of those things where I'm getting stuff for a stupidly cheap price and I would be dumb to pass it up. I just looked up haswells and I'm basically getting a mobo ram and chip for what one of those haswells would cost.

Would you go with the 6 core or the 4? It's basically the difference between spending 300 total (mobo, ram and chip) if I went with the quad, or 450 (mobo, ram and chip) for the 6 core. I just don't know if the 6 cores is something most things use. Like I said, my wife does software stuff, she uses photo shop and all that, so would it be worth going with the 6 core? We won't be replacing this stuff for at least 4 or 5 years. So I'm guessing the 150 difference wouldn't be too much but I wanted to get some opinions.

I appreciate the reply. :)

Well then definitely go for the quad core, 100$ for a 4820K is pretty fucking good, unless anyone else has valid objections I'd go ahead with it :)

BIGWORM

I get my 4670k tomorrow! So excited. I'm glad I FINALLY won't be behind 3 years when it comes to upgrading main specs.

Yes its sounding like they are looking at the desktop market once more. They really had no reason to increase TIM quality from a business perspective.
The last year i worked at Intel, all i heard was ultrabook, convertible, tablet, windows 8. Drove me and my mates there crazy. At the coffee shop, you over hear sales people portraying these crap devices as the bees knees, having absolutely no clue about them, only because someone had told them so.
I think they are slowly coming to realization, Windows 8 is not selling these devices, and PC sales are in decline, they need a new strategy. This could be a small part of it. They have no reason to bring Iris Pro to desktop CPUs either. Very nice performance from the GPU if i may say so myself.

Oh come on, at least ultra books are good, and the standard has advanced the quality of consumer notebooks.

bro1

Banned
I'm looking to build a gaming pc that is quiet when I am not using it. I want it to be on all the time as a plex server. I currently have an iMac that is quiet.

Is this an unrealistic aim without water cooling?
No. Use nocturna fans. My pc silent.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No. Use nocturna fans. My pc silent.
I wonder if my PC is even on after installing their $50 heatsink, even in heavy load. It's great.

Smokey

780 will be my first kepler gpu. i heard OCing them is a bitch?

Any good guides for those? I assume flashing bios will void warranty?

There's a base clock and a boost clock. Boost clock is what you're 3D applications will run at. Once the temperature gets over 80c, the card will start down clocking from it's boost speed. That's why most people go with non-reference cards. The better coolers help it stay under 80c.

When you get the card download EVGA Precision X. You'll be able to adjust the clock speed/memory and other items.

bro1

Banned
I just got a Qnix 1440p monitor. I oc'd it to 100hz without a problem but have read that I will need custom drivers to get it to 120hz. Is this true? And if so, why?

HiResDes

Man it feels so good to pull up that Windows Experience and be able to net a 7.9...On a machine I built for less than a grand. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP GUYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom