• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxh

I wonder if I should buy a SSD now, as the M500 is a whole lot cheaper than the M550 while there are not really many benefits. I do not need a new SSD right now though, but it would be nice to upgrade since I only have 64GB. I wonder how long it will take for the new SSDs to get to the current dump prices.

I'm in the same situation. AmazonUK is doing a 5£ cut for orders above 30£ for Mother's Day and I have the M500 in my basket but I don't know if I should wait for the new models.

I bought a 480GB M500 in November. It's one of the best things I've ever bought for a PC. Fully recommended.

Oh I know it is a good buy, but I already have a small SSD so I don't need one right now. I am just wondering if the prices will stay as good as they are now.

I'm in the same situation. AmazonUK is doing a 5£ cut for orders above 30£ for Mother's Day and I have the M500 in my basket but I don't know if I should wait for the new models.

The M550 seems to be out today here, and I have seen a review, it is faster but also a lot more expensive right now. Since the EVO prices are also decreasing I am assuming a new model of that will also appear very soon.

Flaxh

Oh I know it is a good buy, but I already have a small SSD so I don't need one right now. I am just wondering if the prices will stay as good as they are now.

The M550 seems to be out today here, and I have seen a review, it is faster but also a lot more expensive right now. Since the EVO prices are also decreasing I am assuming a new model of that will also appear very soon.

Just bought it. :D I was waiting for a good deal on a 250GB since I built my PC last June and it seems like a really good one. Really happy right now as it's my 1st SSD.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Hopefully as the technology becomes more mainstream and these companies have no more major factory fires we'll be cool. :)

Just bought it. :D I was waiting for a good deal on a 250GB since I built my PC last June and it seems like a really good one. Really happy right now as it's my 1st SSD.

If you had not have a SSD before it definitely is a very good buy. You barely notice anything between different SSD speeds so i doubt new SSDs would be very important for you.

Hopefully as the technology becomes more mainstream and these companies have no more major factory fires we'll be cool. :)

Well, the reason they have suddenly gotten a lot cheaper is because of the new SSD series coming. I just wonder if those new SSDs will stay around the same price.

Sorry for the noobish question but here goes.

My current PC is 4-5 years old at this point and I plan on buying a brand new rig probably within the next 12-18 months or so. In the meantime are there any cheap upgrades (sub $150) I should consider between now and then for my current PC to squeeze a little extra life out of it or should I just ride it out until I end up throwing it in the closet?

I have the following:

Intel Q9550 quadcore
ATI 5770
4 gigs of ram
Play on a 21 inch monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102868

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

My current PC is 4-5 years old at this point and I plan on buying a brand new rig probably within the next 12-18 months or so. In the meantime are there any cheap upgrades (sub $150) I should consider between now and then for my current PC to squeeze a little extra life out of it or should I just ride it out until I end up throwing it in the closet?

I have the following:

Intel Q9550 quadcore
ATI 5770
4 gigs of ram

You're in the same boat as me.

Right now I'm waiting for Haswell-E & 800 Series but at the same time I'm in a buying mood so with not wanting to build a new rig, I'm considering buying a 750Ti or something to boost my current desktop: a Q9450, 8GB RAM, 550Ti.

Water

You'd get great gains from a GPU upgrade to e.g. 750 Ti in most games.

I have the following:

Intel Q9550 quadcore
ATI 5770
4 gigs of ram

Buy SSD at least it will be reusable for your next build as system drive.

IceIpor

This is the first time I've seen the AMD Radeon R9 290 at MSRP since launch in 2013. I'm really tempted to jump on this, but I have a feeling it's going to be a buyer's market very soon.

Do I really, really need this? My fight money!

TigerDirect:
XFX Radeon R9 290 Double Dissipation Edition Video Card 4GB with Battlefield 4 - $399.99 with Code: HVA119965

TigerDirect Back in Stock:
XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation 3GB - with Battlefield 4 $299.99 with Code: WKF120385

Lifetime Warranty

Here, I'll help.

XFX no longer offers any semblance of a lifetime warranty past SELECT 7xxx models. They now only offer a standard 2-year warranty on the Rx series.

Ocho

Anyone getting any screen flickering with the latest nvidia drivers? I have an evga 670. I need to restart computer and things get fixed. Happens once per day.

Water

Wouldn't the quad core be a bottleneck though? Was debating getting a used i3 to throw in there. Again full disclosure I'm a novice so all insight appreciated.
That's to be expected, yes. It depends on the game whether the Core 2 CPU is a bottleneck and how much, but at worst you'll be getting the same framerate dips as before with significantly better graphics than before (AA enabled, etc.). Games that were significantly GPU limited can get great boost. As a rule of thumb, any kind of strategy game is typically CPU limited. Multiplayer-anything, even first person shooters, also take a toll on the CPU.

Unfortunately you are stuck with your current CPU until you also switch out the motherboard.

welp, got a 15% off coupon if buy off ebay from mobile app, so I ended up getting a used 780 classified for $404 after the coupon.

hope it turns out ok!

Wouldn't the quad core be a bottleneck though? Was debating getting a used i3 to throw in there. Again full disclosure I'm a novice so all insight appreciated.

It's worth it. You'll probably still hit close to 60 with your cpu for a lot of games. I mean you'll have CPU-related hiccups occasionally but you'll have them while looking at much better graphical settings.

If you want to play Battlefield get an AMD card though for sure. Mantle works

Panzon

It depends on the weight of the object, but it should be in the $5-10 range for the East coast.
Not too bad I guess but Im kicking myself for not cancelling last night. To make matters worst I just received the e-mail saying my card was charged. Oh well you live and you learn

turcy

It depends on the weight of the object, but it should be in the $5-10 range for the East coast.

maybe in 1995?

expect to pay no less than $15.00 to ship anything, anywhere [speaking of parcels only here], even within your same city.

a hefty blu-ray drive especially.

that is, unless USPS only hiked up their international rates, and left their local rates alone.

NoRéN

Not too bad, but you have to pay shipping, unless I missed something when I was RMA'ing stuff.

Shoprunner. Everyone building a new PC should get a free trial of shoprunner. Free returns and it's not just good for newegg.

I would suggest adding a note in the OP about that if many purchases will be made at newegg but lots of people seem to gloss over the OP anyway.

Still, shoprunner. Haven't had any issues with them myself and that includes having to return a PSU and monitor.

NoRéN;105020534 said:
Shoprunner. Everyone building a new PC should get a free trial of shoprunner. Free returns and it's not just good for newegg.

I would suggest adding a note in the OP about that if many purchases will be made at newegg but lots of people seem to gloss over the OP anyway.

Still, shoprunner. Haven't had any issues with them myself and that includes having to return a PSU and monitor.

you get a free sub for shoprunner if you have an AMEX card too (which everyone should have anyways).

You'd get great gains from a GPU upgrade to e.g. 750 Ti in most games.

Buy SSD at least it will be reusable for your next build as system drive.

That's to be expected, yes. It depends on the game whether the Core 2 CPU is a bottleneck and how much, but at worst you'll be getting the same framerate dips as before with significantly better graphics than before (AA enabled, etc.). Games that were significantly GPU limited can get great boost. As a rule of thumb, any kind of strategy game is typically CPU limited. Multiplayer-anything, even first person shooters, also take a toll on the CPU.

Unfortunately you are stuck with your current CPU until you also switch out the motherboard.

It's worth it. You'll probably still hit close to 60 with your cpu for a lot of games. I mean you'll have CPU-related hiccups occasionally but you'll have them while looking at much better graphical settings.

If you want to play Battlefield get an AMD card though for sure. Mantle works

Thanks for the insight gents, much appreciated!

mkenyon

Banned
For those of you looking at 750ti cards, it seems like the new PNY card may be the best choice. A little better performance out of the box, a little better OC, and quieter than the other cards tested.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...50-Ti-Roundup-EVGA-Galaxy-and-PNY-Overclocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNeet9lMbNA

The video is the PCper video review.
The OC was lower than the EVGA card, as was the performance. It was the quietest though. That alone would be worth it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got a new case and heatsink and thought I'd post it...it's a Fractal Define and it's really the nicest solution I could find for a living room pc -- hidden optical bays and noise-proofed -- and this Noctua heatsink is really awesome so far. I literally can't hear anything during heavy load except the traffic outside and the slight ringing in my ears, so it really works. The Fractal has lots of space and good cable management, my old box looked like a bowl of spaghetti when you opened it so this is really clean in comparison. I'm just wondering where the hell to plug this USB 3 cable into on my mobo, all I see are jacks for 2's...

Photo%20Mar%2019%2C%204%2026%2051%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2019%2C%204%2035%2036%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2019%2C%204%2039%2046%20PM.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Fractal cases are just Godlike. My current case is an older Fractal Design. Pure class. great pick up @mattiewheels

I just got a new case and heatsink and thought I'd post it...it's a Fractal Define and it's really the nicest solution I could find for a living room pc -- hidden optical bays and noise-proofed -- and this Noctua heatsink is really awesome so far. I literally can't hear anything during heavy load except the traffic outside and the slight ringing in my ears, so it really works. The Fractal has lots of space and good cable management, my old box looked like a bowl of spaghetti when you opened it so this is really clean in comparison. I'm just wondering where the hell to plug this USB 3 cable into on my mobo, all I see are jacks for 2's...

How did you hang it from the ceiling like that?

appaws

Banned
The OC was lower than the EVGA card, as was the performance. It was the quietest though. That alone would be worth it.

Guess I read it a little too quickly.

The EVGA is a better performer, especially because it maintains its high clocks all the time because it has better cooling, their ACX setup. The downsides are that it requires a 6-pin power connector and that it costs $20 more.

The PNY card is just about as fast at peak clocks, but runs hotter and does not maintain the clocks the way the EVGA card does. It costs $20 less and does not require a 6-pin power connector. It is a couple decibels quieter, but the cooling is not as good, so performance suffers a little.

Just did a quick check to see if R7 265s were available, and no. Shame.

Heh, I briefly thought it was mounted to the ceiling too :)

Micro ATX, yeah? I'm starting a new build now, and I think that's what I'll be going with (originally planned on mITX). I'll take a closer look at that case. It certainly looks nice from here.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh, I need to flip the fan to the other side of the Noctua?

knitoe

Doesn't look like your MB has USB3 connectors. They are using blue rectangle cube shape. You have to get an adapter to connect with the ones on the side of the MB where you find mouse / keyboard, Ethernet, sound and etc. connects. And, best for heatsink face back and forth with fan blowing air through the heatsink out the back.

mattiewheels

Turn the heatsink so it pulls air from the front of the case, your GPU will choke your CPU or vice-versa depending on what you do with the fan with the heatsink in that orientation
Weird, the brackets on the motherboard only let me install it that orientation, so that the fans mount on top and bottom, not left and right like I think you're saying.

Cdgilbert

I'm looking to build a gaming pc that is quiet when I am not using it. I want it to be on all the time as a plex server. I currently have an iMac that is quiet.

Is this an unrealistic aim without water cooling?

Mr Swine

Banned
Guys, I'm looking at a few SSD to speed my 2-3 year old laptop that has i3 CPU and 2GB of ram. It's the Lenovo G580 and I'm eyeing in on the Crucial M500 240 GB version. Is it a good buy and will my laptop be like a New one?

mkenyon

Banned
Guys, I'm looking at a few SSD to speed my 2-3 year old laptop that has i3 CPU and 2GB of ram. It's the Lenovo G580 and I'm eyeing in on the Crucial M500 240 GB version. Is it a good buy and will my laptop be like a New one?
1) Yes
2) No, but it will be snappy on boot and when you open programs.

I'd recommend you get more RAM too, because 2GB is pretty tiny these days.

It is definitely a good buy. I suppose it will feel better than when you first got it, unless with a new one you mean a current laptop.

M500 is very solid and prices have dropped a ton recently. I just bought the 120GB GB drive and it arrived today, so I haven't installed my OS on it yet. But, it seems like a great buy.

knitoe

With OS on the SSD, it will make laptop much more snappy and responsive. After using a SSD for a few days and just for kicks, put your old HDD back in the laptop and see how much slower and unresponsive it was before. Then, you will finally know why people say once you go SSD you can never go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom