• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mug

Quick question, I've noticed that the i7 860 I'm equipped with hits ~70C during full load and was wondering if that's average?

I was originally using an Arctic Freeze 7 and decided to switch to a 212EVO. However, I'm getting almost the same results although it's a much larger fan.

The case I'm using is a Lian Li PC-A05FNB.

I used Arctic Silver 5 for the paste in the line method for the 212 and dot method on the Freeze.

Would 1080p/60 be possible with a R9 270x paired with AMD FX6300? I'm looking for a budget build and I want to keep it under 1k with a monitor and accessories.

scogoth

Bii

I'm considering buying one of these and slapping a video card in it, before I pull the trigger does anyone have a compelling reason for me to spend my money in another way?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/423699/Envy_700-074_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

What scogoth said.

You'd probably have to replace the PSU if you're purchasing a video card. Most PSUs that come with pre-builts are rather shitty. Nearly all of us here will suggest that you buy each component individually and build it yourself. We can even walk you through it if you need help.

manhack

Expecting delivery on my new PC parts today. Splurged a little on the system, but haven't put together a new PC since 2008 (i7-920/Radeon 5850) so it was easy to justify.

More exited than I thought I would be to get home from work and spend the evening putting this bad boy together. Will use my old PC as media center/emulator/steambox.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how it went later.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor (3.5 GHz, 8 MB Cache, Intel HD graphics, BX80646I74770K)

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

PSU: SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Vidya Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked, 3GB, 3072MB,GDDR5 384bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Assorted parts from old PC: 256 GB SSD, 1 TB hard drive, etc. etc.

Grabbed some beers and put this bad boy together on Wednesday night. 2-3 hours assembly time and had to remove a piece from my desk to get it to fit.

Turned on the PSU and pushed the power button. Posted like a champ, installed windows 8 using 10$ key and usb drive. Running all games(BF4, Crysis 3 at max settings and 60-120 FPS)

Feels good man.

I used to build PC's all the time, but honestly I don't think I've ever built somehting that was so powerful and so easy to put together. My old PC is going to be a HTPC/emulator machine. Can't wait to set that up now :)

Gumbie

There should be a white plastic latch at the end of the PCIe slot to prevent the card from lifting like that.

I believe it's latched but I could be wrong. It's really hard to see because the card is thick and the end of it hovers over a motherboard heatsink. I hear the latch click and to pull the card out I have to push down on it so it at least seems like it's in.

Here's a good pic that shows the black slot in question.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/06/15/computex-diary-day-1-2/2

Reckoner

Grabbed some beers and put this bad boy together on Wednesday night. 2-3 hours assembly time and had to remove a piece from my desk to get it to fit.

Turned on the PSU and pushed the power button. Posted like a champ, installed windows 8 using 10$ key and usb drive. Running all games(BF4, Crysis 3 at max settings and 60-120 FPS)

Feels good man.

I used to build PC's all the time, but honestly I don't think I've ever built somehting that was so powerful and so easy to put together. My old PC is going to be a HTPC/emulator machine. Can't wait to set that up now :)

Great machine you got there. I have a 7970, but wouldn't mind that 780 Ti at all.

axb2013

Isn't it the same procedure with a small compressor? How do you clean it if you use a compressor vs the can?

Method is same but compressors like the one I linked cost about as much as 10 air cans. 10 cans give you 15 minutes before they become useless. My $60 compressor has been going strong for about 3 years now, so I would have have bought and used up $200 worth of cans.

The other thing is that the cans are weak, using a compressor for the first time was an eye opener. It will move all the dust even the stubborn bits, making you realize you need to move the case outside to clean it while air cans may give you the false impression that there wasn't much dust in there.

Technically dust build up can be minimal inside case.

All you need is good dust filters before fans and you need to keep positive pressure (more fans blowing air inside case than exhaust fans) then air is moving out of case and not sucked inside together with dust.

I've got Silverstone Raven 2 with 3x180 fans blowing air into case and 1x120 outside and dust buildup inside case is minimal.
Nice one, one of my coworker has it in a WC setup. I am using a HTPC case atm, my HAF X will have to wait a little longer for high end Maxwell to take on 4K.

TheDanger

Banned
So I have my tv hooked up to my pc via hdmi and it would be great if my sister could watch tv shows on the tv (with audio through hdmi to tv speakers which works) while I have audio via headphones and don't hear the audio from the tv show/movie my sister is watching and she doesn't hear the audio of what I'm doing.

Is this possible?

scogoth

So I have my tv hooked up to my pc via hdmi and it would be great if my sister could watch tv shows on the tv (with audio through hdmi to tv speakers which works) while I have audio via headphones and don't hear the audio from the tv show/movie my sister is watching and she doesn't hear the audio of what I'm doing.

Is this possible?

Set the video program you use to HDMI audio and set the system default to headphones.

Yeah the 4H has more power phases, and has super awesome red vrm heat sinks instead of blue heat sinks. They're pretty much the same.

Depending on which actual chip you get (some suck, like mine, some don't. It's a crapshoot) you could probably pull off 4.0 without changing the voltage, which should let you get away with a stock cooler. The EVOs and whatnot are pretty cheap so I'd get one if you think you'll ever overclock at all, that way you only install it once and don't have to deal with paste and all that.
Sweet, thanks. Though an alternative just came on sale for the same price as the 4H.

MSI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130725

Any reason to go for one or the other? Or should I stop second guessing myself and just go for the Gigabyte.

I honestly think an air cooler would have more surface area coverage than that radiator. Im hoping that it has extremely high fin density but it looks like Asetek's stock regular 120mm radiator. Yes this design dumps heat outside the case unlike an axial cooler but I'm still sceptical of 500W of heat being effectively dissipated by such a small radiator.

Asus already did this design. Dual 7970 Ghz, single 120mm rad + small fan for the VRMs. It topped out at like 50 degrees.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display as my monitor... I'm building a new PC to go along with my Mac Mini and I want to use this monitor, so it sounds like I'll need a motherboard that supports video out via Thunderbolt. I'm looking in the "Best Value" ($800 - $900) builds, but would be willing to pay more for a mobo that supports htis (that way, I dont need to buy a new/another monitor).

Can someone explain how this works to me? From what I gather, your videocard still does all of the video processing, but then passes that through the motherboard to the Thunderbolt out. I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Thanks!!

Chozolore

I have an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display as my monitor... I'm building a new PC to go along with my Mac Mini and I want to use this monitor, so it sounds like I'll need a motherboard that supports video out via Thunderbolt. I'm looking in the "Best Value" ($800 - $900) builds, but would be willing to pay more for a mobo that supports htis (that way, I dont need to buy a new/another monitor).

Can someone explain how this works to me? From what I gather, your videocard still does all of the video processing, but then passes that through the motherboard to the Thunderbolt out. I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Thanks!!

That's a nice display, I long hoped that my 27" iMac would take a thunderbolt/displayport input from similarly equipped motherboard, alas no.

So fuck apple, thrice.

Aye, I love the display. Any thoughts on how this would work with a PC? From what I gather, the motherboard needs to support thunderbolt out for display, and the video card passes it's processing through the motherboard and out the port?

axb2013

4K/60Hz for $599: http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=95635

So tempting, I have a HAF X and a Antec Platinum PSU just sitting in the closet. This HTPC budget build I'm on is fine, nothing wrong with it but so tempted to build a mean PC now than wait for Maxwell high end cards. I force myself to look at benchmarks and talk myself out of it:

index.php

56150.png

appaws

Banned
Would 1080p/60 be possible with a R9 270x paired with AMD FX6300? I'm looking for a budget build and I want to keep it under 1k with a monitor and accessories.

Don't. Read the OP...look at the builds there. Avoid the 6300, it will be crushed in gaming performance by the price comparable Intel CPUs. I would buy a dual-core pentium before I would buy that.

R9 270x is great as long as you are getting it at MSRP or close.

Fill out the questionairre in the OP and post it...then people can give you real help.

riflen

Aye, I love the display. Any thoughts on how this would work with a PC? From what I gather, the motherboard needs to support thunderbolt out for display, and the video card passes it's processing through the motherboard and out the port?

From my brief research on the topic it seems that you can only drive the display using your CPU's integrated GPU (HD4000 or similar).

You must also install Apple Bootcamp for Windows to be able to use the display properly.

Chozolore

Yes, I don't think there is any compatibility issues with the display. a thunderbolt motherboard will output, but do pay attention to how with regards to graphics cards. as I remember there were some funky cabling software workarounds. Not sure what the current state of motherboards is in that regard.

appaws

Banned
CPU's are given much more credence than they are due. It's GPU's that really matter when it comes to gaming. So long as you stick to intel, you are normally doing pretty good. There isn't a single game, that I have played, that maxes CPU usage or is CPU bottlenecked by the i7-920 I have upstairs. The same is true of the i7-3770k I have downstairs. All I've ever done is upgrade the GPU and they run whatever on max settings.

A grand for the R-295. Anymore than that and they can find a different sucker.

Yep, 99% of the time. Except I started playing Europa Universalis IV yesterday, and that kind of thing does work the CPU a bit.

axb2013

Intel CPU is a better option for mid range and high end builds, If you are really in a bind to get a build to fit your budget, you can score a good card from tech forums. I saw a few just yesterday, even new cards, that way warranty would be yours, if the used cards don't have transferable warranties. Hard and Anandtech forums are the places to go if you choose so.

riflen

So tempting, I have a HAF X and a Antec Platinum PSU just sitting in the closet. This HTPC budget build I'm on is fine, nothing wrong with it but so tempted to build a mean PC now than wait for Maxwell high end cards. I force myself to look at benchmarks and talk myself out of it:

index.php

56150.png

I believe all current PC UHD displays use DisplayPort MST to achieve 60Hz. This essentially means that in 60Hz mode, the display is driven by two 1920x2160 outputs, side-by-side like an extended desktop. You will be gaming using a surround or eye-finity setup using these displays.

PCPer cover it in detail in their review of the ASUS PQ321Q display:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PQ321Q-315-4K-60-Hz-Tiled-Monitor-Review

"Because timing controllers needed for that much bandwidth aren't going to ship at all until early to mid 2014 (likely in small quantities) you can expect the tiled display option to be around for some time to come and remain the budget 60 Hz 4K option as well."

This can create some config problems and I'm not sure all games support surround/eye-finity. Just a word of warning for anyone considering UHD displays at this time.

x3sphere

I believe all current PC UHD displays use DisplayPort MST to achieve 60Hz. This essentially means that in 60Hz mode, the display is driven by two 1920x2160 outputs, side-by-side like an extended desktop. You will be gaming using a surround or eye-finity setup using these displays.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PQ321Q-315-4K-60-Hz-Tiled-Monitor-Review

"Because timing controllers needed for that much bandwidth aren't going to ship at all until early to mid 2014 (likely in small quantities) you can expect the tiled display option to be around for some time to come and remain the budget 60 Hz 4K option as well."

This can create some config problems and I'm not sure all games support surround/eye-finity. Just a word of warning for anyone considering UHD displays at this time.

That is correct, though more recent Nvidia/AMD drivers just identify it as a single display so this method of output may be transparent to applications. I didn't have any issues with games only rendering in half of the screen with the UP3214Q.

What I did experience, though, were issues with power saving and changing resolutions in MST mode. Sometimes the display would get stuck on a blank screen and had to reboot my computer to regain connection with the video card. I don't think all 4K displays have this issue seems only users of the Dell displays complain about this. I ended up returning it because dealing with issues like that on a $3000 display is ridiculous

Quick question with Ram. My coworker is pushing me to get something higher than generic 1600 speed memory. Like 1866 minimum. I dont see anywhere that benefits from that, I was just going to get generic corsair memory at like 1600 speed, nothing fancy with fins or whatnot. That should be fine right? I dont plan on overclocking my memory at all ever, seems like there is little to know benefit. Thoughts?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

index.php

56150.png

i wouldnt buy a 4k monitor for gaming. that's about as far into diminishing returns territory as you can get right now. but for reading stuff while web browsing/coding and for a generally crisp and clean look? sure.

axb2013

I was trying to decipher the Korean review to confirm SST/MST question without success lol. The hardware guys don't seem to know either so I tweeted Linus to see if can find out.
I am actually hunting down negatives about that monitor to talk myself out of building a new system too soon.

This is what I found on the monitor so far:
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/526...eview-4k-becomes-affordable-samsung-lu28d590d

http://gigglehd.com/zbxe/11194044

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810087&highlight=u28d590d

TN and contrast are legit concerns. I also saw this thing plummet from $870 on Amazon to $599 on both US and Canadian ncix sites.

On the other hand, gaming people are hating it for not being a 120Hz as if anything out there can drive 4K at 120 FPS

i wouldnt buy a 4k monitor for gaming. that's about as far into diminishing returns territory as you can get right now. but for reading stuff while web browsing/coding and for a generally crisp and clean look? sure.

That's as reasonable an argument one can make. My problem is staying reasonable, this monitor got me reverting to early adopter mentality.

Conceptor

Hey PC-GAF, would love to get your opinion;

I ordered an EVGA GTX 760 SSC 2GB w/ ACX Cooler for $235 CAD plus tax to replace my 3+ year old XFX 1GB 5750 that may or may not require RMA.

Did I do well?

riflen

Quick question with Ram. My coworker is pushing me to get something higher than generic 1600 speed memory. Like 1866 minimum. I dont see anywhere that benefits from that, I was just going to get generic corsair memory at like 1600 speed, nothing fancy with fins or whatnot. That should be fine right? I dont plan on overclocking my memory at all ever, seems like there is little to know benefit. Thoughts?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/7

Not worth it. Get some 8 or 9 CAS latency 1600 low profile DIMMs.

TheD

The Detective

Are you running integrated graphics or planning to overclock an AMD CPU?
Because they are the only things that get any noticeable benefit from higher speed RAM.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm at my wit's end here. Still at this new build. I5 gigabyte z87n. This system will not even turn when the 2x2 12v power connector (next to the CPU) is plugged in. If just the 24pin connector is plugged in, the system will turn on (fans spin, etc) but will cycle on and off over and over (as the 2x2 power isn't plugged in, it won't continue.

I have tried two PSUs with same results, tried mono, CPU, PSU only, one ram, both ram, etc. I'm just confused. This mono doesn't appear to have a speaker either so there are no POST sounds. =(

riflen

I'm at my wit's end here. Still at this new build. I5 gigabyte z87n. This system will not even turn when the 2x2 12v power connector (next to the CPU) is plugged in. If just the 24pin connector is plugged in, the system will turn on (fans spin, etc) but will cycle on and off over and over (as the 2x2 power isn't plugged in, it won't continue.

I have tried two PSUs with same results, tried mono, CPU, PSU only, one ram, both ram, etc. I'm just confused. This mono doesn't appear to have a speaker either so there are no POST sounds. =(

What's the model number of the board?

riflen

Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI

Looking at your posts, it doesn't seem like it's your first rodeo and you've done plenty of sensible tests already.

What PSUs have you tried? The manual recommends 500W and states that the board may not power up if the PSU can't supply enough power.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looking at your posts, it doesn't seem like it's your first rodeo and you've done plenty of sensible tests already.

What PSUs have you tried? The manual recommends 500W and states that the board may not power up if the PSU can't supply enough power.

I've got Coolmax 1000w PSU and a brand 650w PSU as well. Tried em both. I am sad face right now.

Stubo

I'm going to suggest something really basic and I feel silly for doing so...but are your front panel connectors plugged in? Maybe make sure that all of those are in the correct positions?

Just to discount that from everything :)

riflen

NoRéN;106961861 said:
have you tried reseating any video cards installed?

Think he said he's run the PC with nothing but RAM and CPU installed.

Which revision of Z87N-WIFI is it? There's 1.x and 2.0. It should be printed on the board near the audio connectors.

It's a long shot, but you could try clearing the CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom