• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

NoRéN;106871798 said:
When replacing a motherboard will I need to reinstall drivers? Same motherboard swap.
Exact same? Probably won't need to reinstall. Or at least it should take care of any changes automatically.

NoRéN

Exact same? Probably won't need to reinstall. Or at least it should take care of any changes automatically.

exact same. Doing the swap for someone and they are swapping for the same.
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
that's the motherboard.

in the event that there's a problem, should I be good with just downloading the drivers from the gigabyte site and installing off usb?

BIGWORM

Guys, I can't, for the life of me, find the C-State settings in my Gigabyte Z87-DS3H BIOS. I've looked all over the place. I believe it's the C-state settings that are preventing me from not BSODing with stop error 124 and 101. I've Googled them both extensively.

scogoth

thespot84

I wasn't planning on OCing immediately, but it seems to be quite simple with these mobos, so maybe I will. The UD4H is cheaper than the UD3H, so I'm assuming the higher number means it's better. Would I be able to comfortably OC to like 4.0 GHz with the stock cooler? Or should I look into getting a 212 Evo or whatever.

Can't I just disable C6/C7 sleep states in my BIOS?

Yeah the 4H has more power phases, and has super awesome red vrm heat sinks instead of blue heat sinks. They're pretty much the same.

Depending on which actual chip you get (some suck, like mine, some don't. It's a crapshoot) you could probably pull off 4.0 without changing the voltage, which should let you get away with a stock cooler. The EVOs and whatnot are pretty cheap so I'd get one if you think you'll ever overclock at all, that way you only install it once and don't have to deal with paste and all that.

Bii

Well I ordered the SC w/ACX model from Best Buy actually, I gave them a call and got them to price match Amazon's $509.99. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, i'm still new at this PC lingo.

Well, i figured 120gb was enough for only the OS and couple games I frequent the most.

I'm thinking of just waiting for a 500gb SSD to become affordable for me and never look back.

Your build is fine (very similar to mine, as a matter of fact), though you could have gotten away with just 8GB of RAM, but if you can afford 16GB, why not?

I got my $53 16GB (4x4GB) RAM sticks today. :D Probably should have bought two sets since a friend is looking to build a PC soon.

13616784033_2f02ebd8b8_b.jpg

Lizardus

How do you guys clean the insides of your PCs? Some tips would be appreciated. I can already see dust gathering in there. How often do you do it?

Any word on what the best GTX 780 is? I'm not really needing to go 780ti so I'm wondering which brand is best/has best cooling.

I'm eyeing the EVGA 03G-P4-3784-KR GTX 780. It supports dual BIOS and I'd love to fool around with that stuff. Any reason I should pick another brand over this?

KTT

Your build is fine (very similar to mine, as a matter of fact), though you could have gotten away with just 8GB of RAM, but if you can afford 16GB, why not?

I got my $53 16GB (4x4GB) RAM sticks today. :D Probably should have bought two sets since a friend is looking to build a PC soon.

13616784033_2f02ebd8b8_b.jpg

Pics of the whole (open) case from the side?

axb2013

How do you guys clean the insides of your PCs? Some tips would be appreciated. I can already see dust gathering in there. How often do you do it?

Once a month ideally. I don't use a a vacuum because of increased risk of a static discharge and vacuum isn't effective anyway, you want positive pressure to expel dust. This works great for me, takes a minute, I take the rig to the balcony for it.: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4ZOAW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

komplanen

a) Buy a can of compressed air for $5
b) Take PC outside
c) Remove side panel
d) Blow compressed air all around

Just remember that when you blow compressed air through fans, hold the fan in place with your fingers. Letting the compressed air turn the fan around can damage the bearing since the speed and direction will not match what the fan was designed to do.

axb2013

You take the components out or leave them in?

I just unhook the cables and take it outside. Even if your case is set to create positive pressure, the circulation still captures a lot and I mean a lot of dust, even if the PC room is OCD clean, no smoking, etc, etc.

I found air cans cost ineffective and they do a poor job. Even if cans can get most dust out, which would imply using them weekly, most people just take the side panel off and start spraying so in effect they just "kick the dust" up, once the computer is back on, circulation just recaptures the dust.

What the other poster said is definitely true, gently hold a fan blade as you go over the components to prevent damage to bearings.

Of course you can use air cans but once you use a compressor, you will see how much more effective they are and the amount of dust that collects even in the cleanest of rooms will blow your mind.

My auntie has a PC with Windows XP. Support is being stopped very soon as is support for MS Security Essentials so she needs to sort this out.

What virus software does GAF advise to use?

axb2013

I just brush the dust to the bottom of the case with a small paintbrush, then vacuum it up.

I have used vacuum too before too and even if the risk of a static shock is exaggerated, dust is stubborn for lack of a better term. Fans nowadays have impressive CFM ratings, multiply by then number of fans you have installed, that's a lot of air they move and dust along with it. I forgot what the exact word for those laundry napkins is but you can use them a dust filters on the case to see how much collects over time. Linus tech tips did a cool "dusting" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T6WGFmam0

I use a standard air compressor that I was going to use for painting, looks more or less exactly like this.

The airbrushing didn't work out and I can't be bothered to sell it so it's just a PC dust cleaner now. Very quiet. Over time it will probably save more money than buying compressed air cans.

laoni

*ready to pull the trigger on my PC*

*bank derps up and doesn't let me*

>_<
Now I have to wait until after the weekend to order...

Mohonky

Okay having problems here.

Bought my gear and got it all hooked up now but having dramas.

I put my win 8 64bit disk in the drive, and tried to do a clean install. I have a 500gb ssd in sata 0, 1tb hdd in sata 1 and bluray drive in sata 2. Press F12 on boot, enter new install, custom settings, formatted all drives. Go to install, no probs, until the point the pc restarts during install, then I get a black screen and nothing. I have left it and nothing is happening.

I suspect something odd is going with the bluray drive. Sometimes when pressing F12 boot menu on start screen, the bluray drive isnt visible. I dont know why this is but it periodically just disappears. I find the same in the bios menu, for whatever reason, under peripherals (ga z87x oc gigabyte) the bluray drive is not visible.

At a loss as to what to do. Really need help as this is driving me up the wall.

Just to clarify on this I am using uefi and attempting to install under uefi. If I take the sata for the bluray drive out of one input and plug it in another it will find the drive, however on reboot it disappears again and reappears at random :/ really need help with this its killing me.

I took out my normal hdd sata plug and got win 8 at least installed so I can not at least try to make a usb boot to install to try and get round the problem but this is frustrating me as I dont know whether it will help with my bluray drive just coming and going.

Why?

Explain or give me a link please.

Pascal is going to be using nvlink, a new interconnect that will replace PCIE. Since current mobos don't have nvlink and future mobos will most certainly not accept haswell cpus, plus by late 2016, ddr4 will most likely be used, Pascal will require new cpu, mobo and ram I think.

I have used vacuum too before too and even if the risk of a static shock is exaggerated, dust is stubborn for lack of a better term. Fans nowadays have impressive CFM ratings, multiply by then number of fans you have installed, that's a lot of air they move and dust along with it. I forgot what the exact word for those laundry napkins is but you can use them a dust filters on the case to see how much collects over time. Linus tech tips did a cool "dusting" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T6WGFmam0

Technically dust build up can be minimal inside case.

All you need is good dust filters before fans and you need to keep positive pressure (more fans blowing air inside case than exhaust fans) then air is moving out of case and not sucked inside together with dust.

I've got Silverstone Raven 2 with 3x180 fans blowing air into case and 1x120 outside and dust buildup inside case is minimal.

cory64

Pascal is going to be using nvlink, a new interconnect that will replace PCIE. Since current mobos don't have nvlink and future mobos will most certainly not accept haswell cpus, plus by late 2016, ddr4 will most likely be used, Pascal will require new cpu, mobo and ram I think.
It doesn't look like NVLink will be in consumer level mobos for a while though, and they said Pascal will support PCIe 3.0.

It doesn't look like NVLink will be in consumer level mobos for a while though, and they said Pascal will support PCIe 3.0.

I bet there will be nvlink mobos widely available but for high-prices. (like x79 boards which aren't for consumers really).

Also won't using pcie 3.0/4.0 gimp the card by taking away unified memory? (Will unified memory work without nvlink?)

I actually think unified memory won't be used for any pc games to keep backward compatibility with older hardware. But getting the pcie version of cards will feel like getting a gimped version. (kinda like how agp cards felt back when pcie was introduced. No real performance gain but still...)

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
I have one of the early i7 processors. Probably came out in 2009 but I'd have to check when I get home the exact model. How do those hold up today if I just got a new graphics card? I can play Diablo 3 on max settings still but noticed Elder Scrolls Online is doing very bad. Have to change to low-medium settings for that one to run decent.

I have one of the early i7 processors. Probably came out in 2009 but I'd have to check when I get home the exact model. How do those hold up today if I just got a new graphics card? I can play Diablo 3 on max settings still but noticed Elder Scrolls Online is doing very bad. Have to change to low-medium settings for that one to run decent.

What kind of new video card? Also if you have a i7 920 or better you are fine. The 920 has some serious legs.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
What kind of new video card? Also if you have a i7 920 or better you are fine. The 920 has some serious legs.

Awesome, I should be good on the processor then. I'm not sure about the card.. I haven't' done a ton of research. Nothing that would break the bank but right now I have a Radeon 6500.

Awesome, I should be good on the processor then. I'm not sure about the card.. I haven't' done a ton of research. Nothing that would break the bank but right now I have a Radeon 6500.

CPU's are given much more credence than they are due. It's GPU's that really matter when it comes to gaming. So long as you stick to intel, you are normally doing pretty good. There isn't a single game, that I have played, that maxes CPU usage or is CPU bottlenecked by the i7-920 I have upstairs. The same is true of the i7-3770k I have downstairs. All I've ever done is upgrade the GPU and they run whatever on max settings.

A grand for the R-295. Anymore than that and they can find a different sucker.

Mohonky

Okay having problems here.

Bought my gear and got it all hooked up now but having dramas.

I put my win 8 64bit disk in the drive, and tried to do a clean install. I have a 500gb ssd in sata 0, 1tb hdd in sata 1 and bluray drive in sata 2. Press F12 on boot, enter new install, custom settings, formatted all drives. Go to install, no probs, until the point the pc restarts during install, then I get a black screen and nothing. I have left it and nothing is happening.

I suspect something odd is going with the bluray drive. Sometimes when pressing F12 boot menu on start screen, the bluray drive isnt visible. I dont know why this is but it periodically just disappears. I find the same in the bios menu, for whatever reason, under peripherals (ga z87x oc gigabyte) the bluray drive is not visible.

At a loss as to what to do. Really need help as this is driving me up the wall.

Just to clarify on this I am using uefi and attempting to install under uefi. If I take the sata for the bluray drive out of one input and plug it in another it will find the drive, however on reboot it disappears again and reappears at random :/ really need help with this its killing me.

I took out my normal hdd sata plug and got win 8 at least installed so I can not at least try to make a usb boot to install to try and get round the problem but this is frustrating me as I dont know whether it will help with my bluray drive just coming and going.

My i7 920 is still rocking, pairing it with an R9 270 as a recent cheap upgrade and playing at 1680 x 1050. Looks great. Arkham Origins seems to run at 60fps, Witcher 2 runs at a high frame rate (seems to often hit 60 but I'm not super sensitive to it so may be wrong).

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
My i7 920 is still rocking, pairing it with an R9 270 as a recent cheap upgrade and playing at 1680 x 1050. Looks great. Arkham Origins seems to run at 60fps, Witcher 2 runs at a high frame rate (seems to often hit 60 but I'm not super sensitive to it so may be wrong).

That looks to be a good card for the money. I may end up getting that one.

Ashhong

I found air cans cost ineffective and they do a poor job. Even if cans can get most dust out, which would imply using them weekly, most people just take the side panel off and start spraying so in effect they just "kick the dust" up, once the computer is back on, circulation just recaptures the dust.

Isn't it the same procedure with a small compressor? How do you clean it if you use a compressor vs the can?

scogoth

What else can they possibly do?

I honestly think an air cooler would have more surface area coverage than that radiator. Im hoping that it has extremely high fin density but it looks like Asetek's stock regular 120mm radiator. Yes this design dumps heat outside the case unlike an axial cooler but I'm still sceptical of 500W of heat being effectively dissipated by such a small radiator.

Gumbie

I've got a strange problem I'm looking for advice on. I'm currently running gigabyte Windforce 770s in sli on a Asus Maximus V. Asus recommends the first red slot and the 2nd black slot so the cards don't use the PLX chip and run native. The problem is with the 2b black slot. If I put the card in and use the thumb screws to secure it....it's like the torque of the thumbscrews barely pulls the card up out of the slot just enough to make it not see the hardware. Looking at it with the screws in you would never know it wasn't in good. I just have to boot up and check the bios to see if it's seeing it. On the other hand if I leave the screws out it sees it perfectly but I really don't like leaving that heavy ass card just hanging there.

Meanwhile if I move to a different slot it works great but it using the PLX chip which makes me super paranoid about micro studdering. I think the problem is some how tied to the weight of the card because it's got that giant heatsink and 3 fans. Any ideas?

scogoth

I've got a strange problem I'm looking for advice on. I'm currently running gigabyte Windforce 770s in sli on a Asus Maximus V. Asus recommends the first red slot and the 2nd black slot so the cards don't use the PLX chip and run native. The problem is with the 2b black slot. If I put the card in and use the thumb screws to secure it....it's like the torque of the thumbscrews barely pulls the card up out of the slot just enough to make it not see the hardware. Looking at it with the screws in you would never know it wasn't in good. I just have to boot up and check the bios to see if it's seeing it. On the other hand if I leave the screws out it sees it perfectly but I really don't like leaving that heavy ass card just hanging there.

Meanwhile if I move to a different slot it works great but it using the PLX chip which makes me super paranoid about micro studdering. I think the problem is some how tied to the weight of the card because it's got that giant heatsink and 3 fans. Any ideas?

There should be a white plastic latch at the end of the PCIe slot to prevent the card from lifting like that.

Mad Max

That is not an adequate amount of cooling. There must be some huge down clocking going on with that card.

Well the VRM's seem to be cooled seperately, so for a card like this that should reduce the load on the closed loop quite a bit.

If this is an adequate amount of cooling then depends on the temperature difference that you want to reach. Even a small radiator can dissipate the ~300W the cores+memory generate fine if you allow for high temperatures. And since the 290 can handle 90+ degree core temps well enough, I think that's what they're aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom