• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

I'm at my wit's end here. Still at this new build. I5 gigabyte z87n. This system will not even turn when the 2x2 12v power connector (next to the CPU) is plugged in. If just the 24pin connector is plugged in, the system will turn on (fans spin, etc) but will cycle on and off over and over (as the 2x2 power isn't plugged in, it won't continue.

I have tried two PSUs with same results, tried mono, CPU, PSU only, one ram, both ram, etc. I'm just confused. This mono doesn't appear to have a speaker either so there are no POST sounds. =(

Try just MB, CPU and PSU outside of the case. If the CPU fan runs, add ram and use the integrated graphics.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thanks to both tips. The front inputs are correct (power led turns on when on and off when off). As for video card, I've tried both with and without the GPU plugged in. Same result. I really, really hope I didn't fuck up the CPU on either the install of it or the CPU fan (cooler master hyper 212 evo). Since this plug powers the CPU, it could be that. =(

Also, when it does power on, the CPU fan and case fans do run for the short period its on.

Revision 2.0 of the mobo.

axb2013

Last time I had a similar problem was 2005. IIRC, I forgot to plug in the 4 pin molex and caught on 15 minutes later just as I was getting ready to call DOA on the mobo.

Take a breather, step away for a few minutes, if the parts are OK, it will come to you and you'll laugh about it.

riflen

Last time I had a similar problem was 2005. IIRC, I forgot to plug in the 4 pin molex and caught on 15 minutes later just as I was getting ready to call DOA on the mobo.

Take a breather, step away for a few minutes, if the parts are OK, it will come to you and you'll laugh about it.

That's not his problem here. The machine doesn't power up with the 12v plugged in.

Thanks to both tips. The front inputs are correct (power led turns on when on and off when off). As for video card, I've tried both with and without the GPU plugged in. Same result. I really, really hope I didn't fuck up the CPU on either the install of it or the CPU fan (cooler master hyper 212 evo). Since this plug powers the CPU, it could be that. =(

Also, when it does power on, the CPU fan and case fans do run for the short period its on.

Clear CMOS instructions are on page 29.

You'd have to be pretty clumsy to kill the CPU. I'm more inclined to think the board has a problem. I assume you have no other PC you can test this CPU in?

I'd also concur with the guy who suggested running it without installing the board in the case.
I'd unplug all the front-panel headers and use a screwdriver or something to bridge the power switch pins. Your best bet is to eliminate all possible parts.

Not terribly helpful, but I found a guy on Tom's with the same mobo, and same problem. The thread just dies, but it seemed he probably RMA'd after voltage tests showed the board wasn't taking power.

Kintaro

That's not his problem here. The machine doesn't power up with the 12v plugged in.

Clear CMOS instructions are on page 29.

You'd have to be pretty clumsy to kill the CPU. I'm more inclined to think the board has a problem. I assume you have no other PC you can test this CPU in?

I'd also concur with the guy who suggested running it without installing the board in the case.
I'd unplug all the front-panel headers and use a screwdriver or something to bridge the power switch pins. Your best bet is to eliminate all possible parts.

Worth a shot. Nah, no other system to test the CPU. My other PC is a sandy.

I,all get everything out and give it a whirl.

Weird thing, it did boot up once. The very first time I attempted to boot. Booted into bios, I was going to make it boot to USB and before I got the USB stick out of my drawer, it cut off. Its been doing this ever since.

NoRéN

Weird thing, it did boot up once. The very first time I attempted to boot. Booted into bios, I was going to make it boot to USB and before I got the USB stick out of my drawer, it cut off. Its been doing this ever since.
My first build booted and was able to install the os and everything. After a day of use I turned it off and that was that. Did all the troubleshooting in the OP and nothing. Got a replacement and tadah! it happens.

riflen

Good luck.

axb2013

Ugh I know the feeling. Look at it this way, if you won the broken parts lottery this time around, chances are from now on you are good to go for a while.

Kintaro

Okay, took it out of the case. Just CPU, mobo and PSU. Same thing. Pops on without CPU power in, nothing with it plugged in. Leaning towards a bum mobo. =

This tablet's autocorrect sucks. =(

Kintaro

Time to get the horn to Amazon! I'm considering asking if I could replace it a normal atx motherboard though and keeping my "normal" case. The node is cute, but its pretty cramped and I keep thinking that I may want the option to SLI in the future. Not to mention multiple HDDs/SSDs. I back up my entire movie/anime collection after all. A Node build with a 750 may be nice my girl though...

Thoughts?

NoRéN

First off you bought off amazon so enjoy the quick turn around and great service. Good move there.

amazon wont let you swap. In the past, certain things I've had to return gave me a few options:

-standard refund
-instant refund (give card deposited immediately to account) and you need to return item
-apply refund to something in your cart

if you get any of the last two options that would help you get the motherboard you want.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 50' Seiki 4k tv. I posted this in the HDTVs thread, but not much activity is going on over there.

So basically, I've read that people have successfully gotten it to display 1440p 60hz properly. Has anyone here on Gaf done this?

LilJoka

Question: Do I absolutely need thermal paste and/or a cpu cooler?

Here is my projected build currently: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3lEI0

The CPU will come with a heatsink with thermal paste pre applied. But if you want to overclock itll be no good. For a medium OC the Hyper 212 is a good place to start. It comes with thermal paste, but for a couple degrees benefit you may want a tube of Arctic Cooling MX4 or similar product. So it depends on your OC intentions. You may find the stock cooler to spin up frequently in higher ambient conditions as Haswell runs hot.

Also any reason for buying that particular SSD?

The CPU will come with a heatsink with thermal paste pre applied. But if you want to overclock itll be no good. For a medium OC the Hyper 212 is a good place to start. It comes with thermal paste, but for a couple degrees benefit you may want a tube of Arctic Cooling MX4 or similar product. So it depends on your OC intentions. You may find the stock cooler to spin up frequently in higher ambient conditions as Haswell runs hot.

Also any reason for buying that particular SSD?

Won't be overclocking so I guess I'm fine. The S3500 was recommended to me by a fellow gaffer. I'm worried about a sudden power outage wrecking my ssd, but apparently the S3500 is one of the few with 100% reliable power loss protection. Of course if you have a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Mohasus

These speeds are low for a Samsung Evo 840 250GB right?

w5ep35G.png

What may be causing this?

edit: installed Samsung Magician, it is slower than my old Intel 330 60GB.

GOXeBd3.png

Kintaro

Spoke with azon, mobo packed up and rdy for return. In the meantime. Ill rebuild my.old rig in the maintime. =)

Thanks for the help guys. I <3 you.

Bii

NoRéN;106979324 said:
I hear ya. i keep looking at my pc and think, "what else can i do?"

I'm glad I'm not the only one. There have been times when I'm sitting at my PC, thinking of what I can add or upgrade next. I've been tinkering with the idea of purchasing another SSD just to have; I don't have an immediate use for it but it's been on my mind these last few days.

http://i.imgur.com/w5ep35G.png

http://i.imgur.com/GOXeBd3.png

Those speeds are pretty slow for a Samsung EVO. Not sure what to say but you don't have any background applications that are reading/writing to the disk as your running the benchmark are you?

NoRéN

I'm glad I'm not the only one. There have been times when I'm sitting at my PC, thinking of what I can add or upgrade next. I've been tinkering with the idea of purchasing another SSD just to have; I don't have an immediate use for it but it's been on my mind these last few days.

Those speeds are pretty slow for a Samsung EVO. Not sure what to say but you don't have any background applications that are reading/writing to the disk as your running the benchmark are you?

Same here. Been eyeing another Samsung EVO. Why? I don't need it. i have enough space. But, why not? I want to have an SSD dedicated to having my go to games installed.
I recently upgrade to a GTX680. Everything looks so good and instead of being happy I keep wondering "how good will stuff look with, say, a 780? I blame you all for this addiction!

As for the dude's EVO, I'm fairly certain i know what the issue is. i just want to see what they say first.

TheD

The Detective

w5ep35G.png

GOXeBd3.png

Is it connected to an Intel SATA3 slot or a shitty marvell or asmedia or whatever provided slot?

Think I'm at the breaking point with my cfx 5870s. What would be a quality replacement for the duo in the $350-$450 range? AMD or Nvidia, shouldn't matter... unless I can hot swap with AMD (I'm totally lazy and recently remormatted to install an ssd).

DoomGyver

I built my first PC tonight (budget build for my parents), man that was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The OP helped a ton. Now i've got the confidence to build myself a gaming pc in a year or so.

Feels good man.

Smokey

i wouldnt buy a 4k monitor for gaming. that's about as far into diminishing returns territory as you can get right now. but for reading stuff while web browsing/coding and for a generally crisp and clean look? sure.

4k is not diminishing returns

it is heaven

I'm working on building myself a pc in the near future (like a couple months down the road). I'm more than likely gonna go with a build from the OP. Now, regarding the monitors, I was either gonna go for the Dell U2412M or the Eizo Foris FG2421 but my cousin is telling me to go for the BenQ RL2455HM. Now I am conflicted, which of the three do I get? I know nothing about pc's or monitors and he knows more than me, but he seems to buy generic products, stuff I have seen GAF frown upon, which causes me some concern.

shawnhi

My birthday is tomorrow and I still don't know what to decide on......

Intel i5-4570k vs. AMD A10-7850k vs. AMD FX-8350

+

Radeon R7 260X vs. R9 270 vs. Geforce GTX 750 Ti

Basically, ~$200 CPU and sub-$200 GPU. Best bang for the buck, but cheaper is better. Too. many. possible. combinations.

Edit: Some more background -- I mainly want to play Everquest Next/Landmark, but also want to check out DayZ, PSO2, Dolphin emulation of Xenoblade, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

FLAguy954

+

Basically, ~$200 CPU and sub-$200 GPU. Best bang for the buck, but cheaper is better. Too. many. possible. combinations.

Edit: Some more background -- I mainly want to play Everquest Next/Landmark, but also want to check out DayZ, PSO2, Dolphin emulation of Xenoblade, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Since you are looking into Dolphin emulation, that automatically means you should get the i5 4670K. In regards to the GPU, see if you can find a good deal for the R7 265 or a R9 270 (I think you missed the VMEMADNESS deal from a week ago).

axb2013

+

Intel is better for mid range and high end which I think applies to you. If you want to save a buck scan deal sites or buy used. With a little common sense you can avoid trouble and buy on FS/T threads on tech forums.

fuzaco

Hi guys, I have a question. I have a non-cable management case, and I'm kinda bothered by the chaos in it. Is it safe to use duckt tape to make some order inside?

appaws

Banned
Think I'm at the breaking point with my cfx 5870s. What would be a quality replacement for the duo in the $350-$450 range? AMD or Nvidia, shouldn't matter... unless I can hot swap with AMD (I'm totally lazy and recently remormatted to install an ssd).

The 770 4gb is around 400 bucks and the 2gb version is $350. Great cards.

The R9 290 would be the easy choice at around $400 which is the MSRP. Maybe a bit more for a custom cooler OCed one. The MSI ones seem to be at $469 on Amazon and Newegg...which is still high.

Things seem to be coming down...but I can't escape the feeling that these retailers are purposefully moving slowly....milking the aftermath of the mining thing for all the markup they can. No evidence, just a hunch here.

appaws

Banned
Hi guys, I have a question. I have a non-cable management case, and I'm kinda bothered by the chaos in it. Is it safe to use duckt tape to make some order inside?

It's probably safe. But its not like some zip ties are expensive or anything...

IceIpor

Things seem to be coming down...but I can't escape the feeling that these retailers are purposefully moving slowly....milking the aftermath of the mining thing for all the markup they can. No evidence, just a hunch here.

It's true. Especially Canadian retailers. *grumbles*

shawnhi

Since you are looking into Dolphin emulation, that automatically means you should get the i5 4670K. In regards to the GPU, see if you can find a good deal for the R7 265 or a R9 270 (I think you missed the VMEMADNESS deal from a week ago).

This is my first real gaming build, so.. sorry, I'm new to this. Is there a reason why the i5 is preferred over the FX-8350 for Dolphin emulation?

This is my first real gaming build, so.. sorry, I'm new to this. Is there a reason why the i5 is preferred over the FX-8350 for Dolphin emulation?
Sorry to butt in, but my understanding is that Intel processors, especially the latest i-series, have much better individual performance per core, as well as being able to perform more instructions than an AMD CPU at the same speed. Haswell CPUs are great for emulation as well. The i5 will get more done at a lower power draw than the FX will.

That 4670K overclocked to 4Ghz will be fantastic for Dolphin. (I'm regretting not waiting a bit longer and going with a K processor, actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom