• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen K

Help! Just finished a new build and it wont start! I press power and all fans start for a second then they go off. I have rechecked the power connectors, all seems ok. there is a solid green light on the motherboard.

core i3 4130
Asus B85M-G Micro ATX
4gb ram
corsair 430m psu
palit gtx 750 ti

I've built a few pc's in my time and never had this happen :(

Any suggestions?

NoRéN

I have shoprunner, how do I go about using it for the RMA (already requested the RMA through customer service, nobody asked about shoprunner)?

it should have been an option through your order history on newegg or through the shoprunner site. I can't remember exactly but I had to return a monitor as well and it was a fairly painless process.

Citizen K

Help! Just finished a new build and it wont start! I press power and all fans start for a second then they go off. I have rechecked the power connectors, all seems ok. there is a solid green light on the motherboard.

core i3 4130
Asus B85M-G Micro ATX
4gb ram
corsair 430m psu
palit gtx 750 ti

I've built a few pc's in my time and never had this happen :(

Any suggestions?

Oh crikey i'm rusty. I didnt plug in the cpu power connector. its 8 pin but the mobo has a 4 pin. do i just split this 8 pin one, it looks like it detatches?

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
I have a 5870 which had enough juice to run hi-res eyefinity of most games that were designed for x360/ps3 but that was last gen. For the newer DX11 games, a drop in resolution has been required.

Is there a card out not for the PC that can pump out ps4 quality stuff at 5760x1080 with all the bells and whistles or is it too soon for such godliness?

Serandur

NoRéN;106846475 said:
it should have been an option through your order history on newegg or through the shoprunner site. I can't remember exactly but I had to return a monitor as well and it was a fairly painless process.

Why did you return it? I'm worried specifically because of the physical deformities of the stand. Did they charge you a restocking fee or fee of any kind?

Miguel81

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Intel CPU/Mobo, and a new case.

Intel Core i5-4670K
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3

Everything else is pretty much set. Should I expect much improvement in the realm of random framedrops coming from an 8320 at 4.0Ghz? My GPU is a 7950, and RAM is 8GB G.Skill 1600(no need to upgrade, I assume).

Tablo

I have a 5870 which had enough juice to run hi-res eyefinity of most games that were designed for x360/ps3 but that was last gen. For the newer DX11 games, a drop in resolution has been required.

Is there a card out not for the PC that can pump out ps4 quality stuff at 5760x1080 with all the bells and whistles or is it too soon for such godliness?
780 ti for a single GPU card.

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
780 ti for a single GPU card.

Is that packing enough juice for the whole of this generation? Just asking because the 5870 was some of the best money I ever spent, beating the Nvidia Fermi to market by a good 6 months with enough grunt to run things like L4D2 at 6 times the x360 res and double the frame rate to boot! There seemed no point upgrading from the 5870 as most development was aimed at console which were static.

What I'm asking is the 780ti the same thing to this console generation, 3 ps4's bolted together?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

LilJoka

Is that packing enough juice for the whole of this generation? Just asking because the 5870 was some of the best money I ever spent, beating the Nvidia Fermi to market by a good 6 months with enough grunt to run things like L4D2 at 6 times the x360 res and double the frame rate to boot!

What I'm asking is the 780ti the same thing to this console generation, 3 ps4's bolted together?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I dont think anyone can predict the future, but the 780ti is one heck of a GPU right now.

We need a new desktop pc in the house, so I'm attempting to build one myself for the first time. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. Here are the parts I picked: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3luD3

Some (probably noob) questions:

- From what I've read online, most SSD's can get damaged from a power outage. Is this still true? It's the reason I picked an HDD over an SSD.

- Do I need to buy any network adapters or sound cards?

- What's the difference between the Z87-Pro and the Z87-Pro (V edition)?
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87pro
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87provedition

-With the full modular power supply, should I be worried about missing cords?

Thanks in advance.

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
I dont think anyone can predict the future, but the 780ti is one heck of a GPU right now.

Fair do's. I'll check it out. I would like to make my GPU upgrade the equivalent of a console purchase and buy one that does the job for the whole console generation (the 5870 spoiled me). I wondered if I might have to wait a year or so for GPU tech to get to the "we can do that but with triple screens" but if you say we are already there I might have to start saving.

Thanks!

I need help with something. I've noticed in a few games that the game will appear to have rubber band lag.

Skyrim and the Witcher 2 are the ones I've noticed this the most. Essentially what happens is I'll be moving the character forward or side to side or whatever and the game stutters for a split second and seems to move back a frame or two. The games are running at 60FPS according to FRAPS.

Here's the funny thing. I wanted to make a video to post and show you guys exactly what was happening. Except when I started FRAPS recording the problem went away completely. I also noticed the frame rate drop from 60FPS to ~45-50 as soon as FRAPS started to do its thing. So I don't have a video to share but I think this might be some insight into what's causing my problem. Perhaps it's related to my monitor/refresh rates or whathaveyou? I don't know. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what might be up.

I've done a bit of research into rubberbanding lag and that seems to be an issue that plagues online games and is a result of the server you're playing on. So I don't think I'm using the correct terminology but verbage wise it's the closest I can come up with to describe what the image is doing.

I also thought it might be because I'm running two GTX760's in SLI. I know SLI configurations are sometimes known to have issues with microstutter. However, I think I doubt that this is actually the case, since what I'm experiencing doesn't seem to match the descriptions I've read regarding what Microstutter actually looks like.

NoRéN

Why did you return it? I'm worried specifically because of the physical deformities of the stand. Did they charge you a restocking fee or fee of any kind?

Dead pixels and the hdmi output did not work. I was worried about that too since I've seen alot of bad stories about that. But, I got my refund in full.

kennah

Fair do's. I'll check it out. I would like to make my GPU upgrade the equivalent of a console purchase and buy one that does the job for the whole console generation (the 5870 spoiled me). I wondered if I might have to wait a year or so for GPU tech to get to the "we can do that but with triple screens" but if you say we are already there I might have to start saving.

Thanks!
You are the only one who can decide this. A 780ti is Titan levels of oower. Should easily last with acceptable frame rates (if you were happy with the 5870 that long) for years.

But we don't know the future. Computing is weird and unpredictable right now.
Just a note to anybody considering an EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified. This card is loud! I mean louder than any card I've had in the past year which includes a 660, 670, and 770 sli. The only card that I had that was louder were the 660's in SLI. Card runs great and is cool, just very very loud.
If you have an evga classified running on air you are doing it wrong. The cards are designed for water.

KJRS_1993

I've spent a while mucking around, and I've put this together for a first-time build:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3ls8O

Does anyone know if this set-up is particularly good value for money, and make any recommendations to improve if they have them?
What kind of performance can be expected from this build that costs £492 + Power Supply is £48, so £540 in total? (Just shy of $900)

Thanks

are you overclocking (i assume so since you ordered a 4770k 'k' being unlocked) If so grab a gigabyte z87 UD3H. If you're not overclocking you can get a cheaper chipset (not z87) and a cheaper chip (not K)

I wasn't planning on OCing immediately, but it seems to be quite simple with these mobos, so maybe I will. The UD4H is cheaper than the UD3H, so I'm assuming the higher number means it's better. Would I be able to comfortably OC to like 4.0 GHz with the stock cooler? Or should I look into getting a 212 Evo or whatever.

This PSU may switch off when the CPU goes into the C7 Power State. Recommend you pick a Haswell certified Seasonic.

Can't I just disable C6/C7 sleep states in my BIOS?

DoomGyver

I bought a linksys wireless card for my first pc build, it says I have to install the drivers before I install the hardware, is this necessary? Since I'm building the pc tomorrow it would be easier to just install all of the hardware and then the driver for the linksys..

The deed is done, ordered everything. Please tell me i'm not making a huge mistake.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1369.92

BIGWORM

So I just bumped on the base clock and vcore in the BIOS, and right now I'm running my 4670k at 4.4 on 1.25. Some people were saying that OC with that vcore is actually pretty good. Idling at low to mid 30s. Gonna run some LinX passes in a bit.

Should go with an aftermarket 780 for like 10-20$ more, its worth it.

Well I ordered the SC w/ACX model from Best Buy actually, I gave them a call and got them to price match Amazon's $509.99. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, i'm still new at this PC lingo.

Either that or a 250GB Evo

Well, i figured 120gb was enough for only the OS and couple games I frequent the most.

I'm thinking of just waiting for a 500gb SSD to become affordable for me and never look back.

can i get some help. friend wants help building a pc.

Budget: $1500-$1800
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming (5), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (5), 3D/Model work (and what program) (3), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5). main uses would be game and a media center
When will you build?: going to start asap. hoping to have it done by may
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

thanks.
havent been keeping up with the tech so any help would be appreciated

Lizardus

Installed the 2TB HDD from my old PC into new one so now I have 3 TB HDD and 120 GB SSD. I think I am set for some time.

Is it better to partition the HDDs or just leave them like that? Also, where does everyone in Canada order their cables from? I need some longer DVI cables and USB extenders. We don't have any PC stores in my town.

M3z_

Cross post

US48 only, paypal, no trades

EVGA ACX FTW GTX 750ti $130 Shipped This card goes over 1400mhz

1PAspLnl.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028

i3 4340 $100 Shipped Plenty powerful for gaming, ran Titanfall at 60fps high/very high settings with the card above

YQoQJ34l.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116944

Marceles

Received everything but the case, power supply and RAM for my build. They won't be here until next week. I'll just have to cuddle with the GPU until then...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Your link is brokd, but the GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H is okay.
Cross post
Good deals
Installed the 2TB HDD from my old PC into new one so now I have 3 TB HDD and 120 GB SSD. I think I am set for some time.

Is it better to partition the HDDs or just leave them like that? Also, where does everyone in Canada order their cables from? I need some longer DVI cables and USB extenders. We don't have any PC stores in my town.
I just leave it.
Amazon.ca? NCIX?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
- From what I've read online, most SSD's can get damaged from a power outage. Is this still true? It's the reason I picked an HDD over an SSD.

I believe the M500 series comes with power-loss protection. But if you're wanting it to be completely reliable, then get an Intel S3500.

- Do I need to buy any network adapters or sound cards?

The default sound and network functions of the average consumer motherboard are good enough. So no. Your two ASUS boards mentioned have sufficient audio & network capabilities.

The V Edition lacks Wi-fi:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/overview/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PROV_EDITION/overview/

-With the full modular power supply, should I be worried about missing cords?

I wouldn't be worried about missing cables. If you're worried about not getting enough cables, check the manufacturer's website and check the box contents before you buy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is my i5 750 (2.66Ghz but overclocked to 3.4Ghz - super stable and never over 65°/70° while gaming)
still good enough for gaming under every condition when @1080p/60fps/max settings/+some AA?

Looking to upgrade my PC (definitely GPU and RAM) but possibly keep my motherboard and CPU, what kind of bottleneck am I looking at with such CPU?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still no luck with my build. Cant even get any post sounds. I just get... nothing. =( I woner if the mobo is dead. I tried another psu and nothing.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, since it's about those standard laptops and not about creating a custom build.

I'm looking to get a new laptop tomorrow, around the $500-800 range, though I would like to keep it as cheap as possible because I'm not the one paying for it. I'll probably be getting it from Best Buy or something local. Can you guys give me some examples of the best laptops at that price range? Ideally, I'd like to run Steam games off it, but I'm not expecting to run taxing games like Dark Souls or Sleeping Dogs obviously... I'd also be using it for programming and possibly Photoshop if I can still get a hold of CS6 since I don't want to be bound by a subscription.

Sorry for the late notice on this, I would've asked earlier if my other computer were working. It shuts down after about 30 seconds to a minute regardless of what's going on, like whether I'm attempting start up repair, checking the disk for consistency, on the log on screen, etc. Sometimes I'll be able to surf the internet for 5 minutes if it boots up fine and gets to desktop okay. It does this whether on battery or on the charger, and I even tried another fully functioning charger to check if this was a power issue. Needless to say, it still happened on the other one, so I figure it's a motherboard failure or something. I was able to borrow a computer now, but I really need my own laptop for school.

So yeah, any help is appreciated.

edit: next time, I should probably read the OP... If anyone can still help with this I'd be grateful though.

BIGWORM

can i get some help. friend wants help building a pc.

Budget: $1500-$1800
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming (5), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (5), 3D/Model work (and what program) (3), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5). main uses would be game and a media center
When will you build?: going to start asap. hoping to have it done by may
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

thanks.
havent been keeping up with the tech so any help would be appreciated

Check OP. Hoping to have it done by May? You can have your parts shipped and rig up and going within a couple days.

Is my i5 750 (2.66Ghz but overclocked to 3.4Ghz - super stable and never over 65°/70° while gaming)
still good enough for gaming under every condition when @1080p/60fps/max settings/+some AA?

Looking to upgrade my PC (definitely GPU and RAM) but possibly keep my motherboard and CPU, what kind of bottleneck am I looking at with such CPU?

I say keep it.

Pascal's going to require a whole new system so might as well upgrade everything once that comes out 2016.

I believe the M500 series comes with power-loss protection. But if you're wanting it to be completely reliable, then get an Intel S3500.

The default sound and network functions of the average consumer motherboard are good enough. So no. Your two ASUS boards mentioned have sufficient audio & network capabilities.

The V Edition lacks Wi-fi:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/overview/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PROV_EDITION/overview/

I wouldn't be worried about missing cables. If you're worried about not getting enough cables, check the manufacturer's website and check the box contents before you buy.

A thousand thank you's! I'll see if I can find a good deal on a S3500 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom