• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Can anyone identify this issue I'm having?

It began yesterday, the right side of my monitor started flickering purple/pink. I unplugged the DVI cable and the monitor still looked funny. Weirdly enough, when I enable two monitors, the issue sort of goes away then comes back. Now today I'm still having that issue but my screen blacked out a couple minutes ago. I checked my GPU and it was getting really hot (but I turned the fans to 100% and it's cooling down).

Here's a pic of the issue.
ii97fEhGC9epD.JPG
That's suppose to be black but these pink flickering lines show up in their place.

Specs:
Asus VH236
HD 7770
i7 860
12GB ram
FSP350-60MDN?
Don't know motherboard

Nothing is overclocked and I haven't played any intensive games (I've mostly been using photoshop and playing HD videos). I also updated my drivers yesterday but it didn't fix it.

Edit: The pink flickering only shows up on my Asus monitor and not the Cintiq. This is weird.

Mozendo

Anyone here have experience with Micro Center & MSI rebates?
I bought a MSI 970A-G43 MoBo and I'm doing the MSI rebate and I just got to the part it's asking for my order/invoice number.

I'm assuming this is the reference number that's on the receipt, but I just wanted to be certain because I have to mail it pretty soon and I don't want to be rejected and send another copy for which will arrive too late.

Now that I solved one problem, MSI doesn't know where I should ship the rebate to.
seriously MSI? ;_;

Hey guys.

I have a problem.I just bought a new PC:

MSI H87M-G43
Asus Radeon 270x
Intel i5-4570

Everything works... besides using a second screen.
If I only connect the TV, I can see the desktop-screen. If I connect the monitor though, the PC only shows the monitor and not the TV-Screen, even though its connected.
I am using the latest Catalyst drivers.
Also wont work with Win+P.

Its strange, since I can see the the screen on the TV,when I disconnect the monitor.

JordanN

Banned
Hey guys.

I have a problem.I just bought a new PC:

MSI H87M-G43
Asus Radeon 270x
Intel i5-4570

Everything works... besides using a second screen.
If I only connect the TV, I can see the desktop-screen. If I connect the monitor though, the PC only shows the monitor and not the TV-Screen, even though its connected.
I am using the latest Catalyst drivers.
Also wont work with Win+P.

Its strange, since I can see the the screen on the TV,when I disconnect the monitor.

Are you using "Extend these displays" under "Screen Resolution"? Also, make sure the cables are fully plugged into the GPU or Monitor ports.

Also for the monitor, make sure you have it set to the right display port (so if it's HDMI, set your monitor to HDMI mode).

ColEx

Iv been out of the GPU game for awhile now, my current card is a 5770, had it since it launched and its served me well.

The current spec of my PC is 3570k, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd.

Would a 7850 be a worth while upgrade for 1080p medium/high no aa PC gaming?

I read that the 7850 is inbetween a 260x and 270x, which sounds like a good upgrade for the price they can be found at.

Iv been out of the GPU game for awhile now, my current card is a 5770, had it since it launched and its served me well.

The current spec of my PC is 3570k, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd.

Would a 7850 be a worth while upgrade for 1080p medium/high no aa PC gaming?

I read that the 7850 is inbetween a 260x and 270x, which sounds like a good upgrade for the price they can be found at.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/538?vs=549

Yes it would be, wasn't expecting they would still be in stock though.

maneil99

Okay, so when BF4 came out I had an issue with a red checkerboard artifact crash that would hardock my system. I lowered my Vram OC by 40mhz ( 40mhz x 2 = 80hz ) aswell as updated the driver and BF4 had an update. The issue went away for months. I stopped playing for 3 weeks and just came back. While I was gone I did a driver update and BF4 had an update. Now I got it again. Any idea? GPU is a 780 GTX SC, my GPU shouldn't be degrading like this should it? Most likely a driver issue no?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
help!

Was just playing minecraft and my display went blank and my PC restarted. Now I'm getting no video signal and my GPU is running at full fan speed

I've switched to the onboard video and the computer seems fine, but what do I do next? Card is an AMD 7950

Totakeke

Wow, after weeks of using my PC without shutting down (because it won't turn on after sleep or shutdown), I now find out the culprit are the displayport cables. Apparently this issue is quite common and most cables on Amazon have people stating this be an issue. What a piece of crap standard.

jonno394

Finally obtained a Windows iso so I can forgo getting the disc :)

Just a question my zx87-d3h has uefi dual bios. Do I need to make a uefi flash drive with the iso using rufus or can I just make a normal fat32 Flash drive? Ive looked through this thread and seen differing answers.

Danther

Neo Member
help!

Was just playing minecraft and my display went blank and my PC restarted. Now I'm getting no video signal and my GPU is running at full fan speed

I've switched to the onboard video and the computer seems fine, but what do I do next? Card is an AMD 7950

I had the same problem with an old 4870, had to buy a new one.

Got a Steambox at Dev Days and planning to shift existing monitor over to it. Debating whether to replace my gaming PC's old old Dell 24" Ultrasharp with either a 27" Dell Ultrasharp, or maybe a 24" Asus VG248QE, or last, wait till G-Sync is available more widely (have a GTX 690). What are people feeling?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
16 Gig of RAM is completely pointless unless you're using your computer for work.

Ever? Because it's best to buy RAM now since the price is just going up and up.

riflen

Finally obtained a Windows iso so I can forgo getting the disc :)

Just a question my zx87-d3h has uefi dual bios. Do I need to make a uefi flash drive with the iso using rufus or can I just make a normal fat32 Flash drive? Ive looked through this thread and seen differing answers.

Seems we don't know for sure. A couple of guys here had no problem creating GPT partitions with the Win 8 installer using a fat32 memory stick. It didn't work for me, so I used rufus.

HoosTrax

Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz ordered.

Can't wait to kick my 7970 Ghz to the curb. Going up for sale once I RMA it. I suspect Payday 2 is what killed the fan (80C on a not demanding game), but even at 100% fan speed, it should't have died after a couple hundred hours.

jonno394

Seems we don't know for sure. A couple of guys here had no problem creating GPT partitions with the Win 8 installer using a fat32 memory stick. It didn't work for me, so I used rufus.

Hmm, I can't use rufus to make it as im on win xp, and you need Vista/7 to make the GPT partitions with Rufus. Might try it on my mates next saturday, or just turn it in to a bootable DVD (i'd have no issues from installing from that rigjt) if all else fails i'll just buy a proper windows disc.

keffri

I have a question about the MSI Click 4 BIOS.

I am planning on putting together a computer very soon, and I am wondering if a wireless mouse/keyboard through USB would work for navigating the BIOS. I have a Razer Anansi/Naga Epic but both of those require drivers so I am not sure if they would work. If the wireless won't work I'll just go out and buy a cheap wired for first time set up of the BIOS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
by the time 16GB is necessary, ddr4 will be more prevalent than today's ddr3

Yeah, but that will just make ddr3 more expensive. And I won't be upgrading to ddr4 for awhile.

hwateber

Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz ordered.

Can't wait to kick my 7970 Ghz to the curb. Going up for sale once I RMA it. I suspect Payday 2 is what killed the fan (80C on a not demanding game), but even at 100% fan speed, it should't have died after a couple hundred hours.
I'd like to buy that 7970 off you when it's back from RMA! I just bought a qnix but my single 7970 isn't really enough to do 1440p at the frame rates I want

I have a question about the MSI Click 4 BIOS.

I am planning on putting together a computer very soon, and I am wondering if a wireless mouse/keyboard through USB would work for navigating the BIOS. I have a Razer Anansi/Naga Epic but both of those require drivers so I am not sure if they would work. If the wireless won't work I'll just go out and buy a cheap wired for first time set up of the BIOS.

I've got an MSI mobo and my logitech wireless kbm worked no problem. I think the pairings might be stored in the dongle and peripherals since this kbm worked on other mobos as well

Update on my situation: borrowed a motherboard and the PC works now. Seems like I got a dud motherboard from newegg. Happy to have a working PC, though. The motherboard I have now doesn't fit in my case so it'll just be a really weird external setup till newegg sends me the new motherboard.

NoRéN

Update on my situation: borrowed a motherboard and the PC works now. Seems like I got a dud motherboard from newegg. Happy to have a working PC, though. The motherboard I have now doesn't fit in my case so it'll just be a really weird external setup till newegg sends me the new motherboard.

It's rare but it does happen. My first build last year, got a bad motherboard. I couldn't believe my luck but it's not a common occurrence. At least you were able to isolate the problem and get it resolved.

scogoth

NoRéN;97692365 said:
It's rare but it does happen. My first build last year, got a bad motherboard. I couldn't believe my luck but it's not a common occurrence. At least you were able to isolate the problem and get it resolved.

Happened to me a couple years ago but I thought it's was something else. Replaced everything including the CPU 3 times. When I went to return the motherboard they didn't believe me so they tested in the store and were just as surprised as I was.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I need a new keyboard, the shift key on mine is forever stuck. I had the Logitech solar-powered K750.

I want a chiclet/island-type full keyboard that is robust (no broken/stuck keys), either solar-powered or with a cord. Any recommendations?

NoRéN

Happened to me a couple years ago but I thought it's was something else. Replaced everything including the CPU 3 times. When I went to return the motherboard they didn't believe me so they tested in the store and were just as surprised as I was.

Fuck, I would be so pissed if that happened to me. Luckily I bought off amazon so returning was easy.

DTKT

It's possible to recommend 16GB for specific applications or heavy virtualization. I have 5 VM running and they are consuming a bit over 14G.

Tried metro 2033 as the first game for my new rig. It seems to chew up the 770 gtx like it was nothing. 1080p and everything max leaves the game hovering around 45 fps most of the time. Jeez. Hopefully, the next few benchmarks I do don't leave my poor rig feeling down about itself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need a new keyboard, the shift key on mine is forever stuck. I had the Logitech solar-powered K750.

I want a chiclet/island-type full keyboard that is robust (no broken/stuck keys), either solar-powered or with a cord. Any recommendations?

I have two logitech K750 solar keyboards - one for my personal computer, and one for my work laptop. Like them a lot - usual decent logitech unified receiver, nice feel to the keys and the solar is a bonus so never need to worry about batteries.

brentech

I have two logitech K750 solar keyboards - one for my personal computer, and one for my work laptop. Like them a lot - usual decent logitech unified receiver, nice feel to the keys and the solar is a bonus so never need to worry about batteries.
Same. I use it on my desktop. It's so basic, yet has a really good feel for games and everything. Sure, I wish it had some extra key bindings, but whatever. It's awesome.

SO i got my new vidcard installed and everything ( GTX 770 4GB), seems to work just fine in game, 60fps on ultra at 1080p in BF4 looks amazing. THe problem is in a ton of games there's a long period of blackscreen/apparent loading when they first start or when I try to change resolution or mjor graphics settings. I cn still get in game, but like Fallout 3 and Metro 2033 both took a solid 30-40 seconds of black screen loading til I got to the intro, and Battlefield 4 does the same just to get to the ACTUAL loading screen, which it definitely did not do when I first plugged it in the other day.

Any ideas? I've thought about maybe trying either beta drivers or rolling back to some older ones.

EDIT: NVM simple reset seems to have fixed it. In case it was relevant in the future, though, GeForce experience was locking up too whenever I tried to open it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Would be great if not for the price and the fact that it doesn't seem to be a true island-style keyboard.

Erm... I appreciate you trying to help me out, but I did say my previous keyboard was a K750. And I agree, it's great... If for the fact that mine had a sticky key syndrome which apparently tends to happen with this model (+ the keys do feel a bit flimsy). So I'm not buying another one.

So I built my (1st) PC a few days ago and it was running great until today it suddenly crashed (not doing anything taxing haven't overclocked yet, just watching a youtube video or something). I attempt to reboot and it says I have no bootable drive intstalled. I have a 120 gb samsung 840 evo SSD and a 1 tb wd drive. Windows 8.1 along with a couple of programs and games were installed on it. I go into the bios and it shows no drive in the SATA port where the drive was installed, but the 1 tb drive does show up.

I've gone in and attempted to see if the connection of the SATA or power cable wasn't good but no dice as of yet. The SATA or power cable doesn't have a satisfying click when I plug it in, so I'm still hoping the cables just havent plugged in well or something has loosened on the port (rather than it being dead). Is there anything I can do to see if the drive is or isn't dead? Is there something I could have done wrong that messed with the SSD? I followed one of the guides listed in the OP about optimizing performance.

Any help would be appreciated

what's everyone's opinions/thoughts on the new AMD Apu's? i don't have a gaming pc right now and i saw they just released the new ape's and was thinking about those. i have a keyboard, mouse, xbox 360 controller for gaming, and a 256 ssd drive right now.

Sami+

Not particularly looking to buy anything new right now, but I'm curious if it would be possible for me to upgrade my current rig without having to start from scratch?

I'm using this pre-built set from iBuyPower -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

I heard from my friend that if I want to play newer games I'd basically have to rebuild from scratch because newer and better GPUs wouldn't be compatible with the other parts?

kennah

Your friend is wrong. While the cpu in that tower isn't great, you would see a huge performance improvement from a new gpu.

kennah

Is it fine to keep your rig on the floor?
Depends on a lot of factors. What kind of case, where the intakes are, how dusty your house is, if you have pets, what kind of floor it is, if you have filters or not.

Basically - sure as long as your intakes aren't blocked by carpet. If it's carpet put the computer on a board or something.

Sami+

Your friend is wrong. While the cpu in that tower isn't great, you would see a huge performance improvement from a new gpu.

What are the steps I should take if I want to hit 1080p 60fps on most games? In the case of a new GPU, what would you recommend? I'm sure I'd also need a better power source and cooling solution as well, but for gaming would the rest be okay? Or are the returns I'm seeking impossible with that CPU?

Edit - Jesus that's a lot of question marks. I'm sorry if I'm being annoying or anything, I've never built a PC before haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom