• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungOne

2600K is from 2011. You want the 4770K if you're going Intel and a Z87 motherboard.

Look at the 4770K, UD3H and a different PSU, as well as a different case. Take a look at the OP for suggestions. Change to a WD Blue 1TB HDD.

Part list link doesn't work btw
Thanks for the reccomendations. I see some of that stuff is in the $840 build in the OP so I will use that one.

Boogybro

Just ordered the last piece to my first build!!! Should be here monday if all goes well. Thanks Kharma45 for suggesting I wait on the OC gpu.

- NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Big Tower Chassis - White
- ASUS Z87-PRO Socket 1150 4xDDR3 Max 32GB ATX Intel Z87 PCI-E 1x D-Sub DVI HDMI DisplayPort
- Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
- Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
- Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (3.5 inch)
- Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
- Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X "BF4 Edition" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

iudzBrCaQ1Tst.gif

Sajjaja

Just ordered the last piece to my first build!!! Should be here monday if all goes well. Thanks Kharma45 for suggesting I wait on the OC gpu.

- NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Big Tower Chassis - White
- ASUS Z87-PRO Socket 1150 4xDDR3 Max 32GB ATX Intel Z87 PCI-E 1x D-Sub DVI HDMI DisplayPort
- Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
- Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
- Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (3.5 inch)
- Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
- Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X "BF4 Edition" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

iudzBrCaQ1Tst.gif

That feel. I just ordered my first gaming PC too!

maneil99

Okay, so when BF4 came out I had an issue with a red checkerboard artifact crash that would hardock my system. I lowered my Vram OC by 40mhz ( 40mhz x 2 = 80hz ) aswell as updated the driver and BF4 had an update. The issue went away for months. I stopped playing for 3 weeks and just came back. While I was gone I did a driver update and BF4 had an update. Now I got it again. Any idea? GPU is a 780 GTX SC, my GPU shouldn't be degrading like this should it? Most likely a driver issue no?

I've ordered first parts of my build. You think this will be okay and work together?

I've ordered:

Corsair 200R Case
Antec VP450P PSU

Going to get, after payday:

Intel i5 4670K
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
120GB SSD

Then I'll put a hard drive in as well.

Does that seem all right? I don't want to get the wrong things.

mkenyon

Banned
If you get the 4670K, you need a Z87 motherboard. If that's too pricey, then downgrade the processor for even more savings.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
One of my front panel audio sockets no longer detects when I insert a device to it, when in Windows. It shouldn't be hardware-related as it works in Linux. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?
I had ti recently buy a new front I/O panel for my 500r. In case it's bad then you may have that as an option.

clem84

Gold Member
Kinda torn between those two cards.

EVGA 780 03G-P4-2784-KR
+ many great reviews for this one.
+ Price seems to be reasonable.
- My local computer store tells me it's hard to get for the time being so I might have to wait a little

Gigabyte 780 GV-N780GHZ-3GD
+ Price/performance ratio seems pretty good.
+ Outperforms the EVGA slightly
+ easily available
- not as many reviews out for it

Any suggestions? Between EVGA and Gigabyte, is one generally more reliable then the other?

bro1

Banned
Next time you want to be snarky and unhelpful, type it out but don't hit submit.

It's more likely the router, or possibly malware through torrents.

Yeah, those need some water. They over clock like crazy once you get the cooling sorted. Going to need a good number of rads to dissipate that 600W of GPU heat.

It'll fit fine. 7990 even fits.

My immediate suggestion is thrown off by the fact it works in Linux. Only thing I can think of is some random check box or setting in the Sound Devices section.

I replaced the router with a new Apple Extreme AC router and I still have slow internet. Also, I am SO PISSED OFF. I was opening the router on my desk and it slipped out of the box and tumbled out, putting a chip on my new desk. Router seems fine (IT"S HUGE) but my paranoia is getting to me.

No speed improvements so far. I ordered a new NIC intel gigabyte which should be here on Monday. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

TheD

The Detective
Actually no not all games respond faster with higher frame rate. BF3/4 have a 10Hz tick rate so as long as you are over 10fps your going to be responding just as fast as everyone else. CS:GO yeah 150fps helps

No.
The game logic would have to be updating at a faster rate than 10Hz!
If it was only updated 10 times a second you would have a ton of horrible warping of objects!

maneil99

Kinda torn between those two cards.

EVGA 780 03G-P4-2784-KR
+ many great reviews for this one.
+ Price seems to be reasonable.
- My local computer store tells me it's hard to get for the time being so I might have to wait a little

Gigabyte 780 GV-N780GHZ-3GD
+ Price/performance ratio seems pretty good.
+ Outperforms the EVGA slightly
+ easily available
- not as many reviews out for it

Any suggestions? Between EVGA and Gigabyte, is one generally more reliable then the other?
EVGA has much better RMA then Gigabyte, Gigabyte is trash when it comes to RMAs. If you are planning to OC EVGA allows it in there warranty, plus if a 870/880GTX comes out in the next 3 months you can upgrade to that for the difference. EVGA also comes with a free copy of PainKiller DeadFall and Rise of the Triad

I have the ACX Superclocked, runs at 1241/6560mhz

The Stealth Fox

Why is it that Intel processors have advanced so slowly? Is it because of the lack of competition from AMD?

I'm stuck on a 955BE and am thinking about upgrading. Even a 2500k would be a significant upgrade, but old hardware never drops in price...

Jibbed

Can anyone tell me if this version of Windows is the one id go to for an os on a new build? All the different versions are confusing me lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRAE7MU/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare

The only real difference is being able to remotely access your PC's files from another computer if you have Windows 8.1 Pro. For the money you'd save, go for the standard W8.1.

There are many places (I'm not sure I'm allowed to link you to) where you can just buy a standalone Windows 8.1 key from for like $5-20, then download the OS from wherever you like and verify it once installed.

Basic question, but how will Haz's 'excellent - best overall' PC build last me in terms of the next few years of games? I can tell it's a solid build but I can't quite quantify just how future-proof it would be (sorry for the lazy term there).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Basic question, but how will Haz's 'excellent - best overall' PC build last me in terms of the next few years of games? I can tell it's a solid build but I can't quite quantify just how future-proof it would be (sorry for the lazy term there).
Considering the 2500K came out 3 years ago and is still fantastic, CPU chipsets change ever year for no reason, and GPUs aren't drawing tons more power, all you have to do is swap the GPU out and overclock your CPU (or not) and you should be set for 2-4 years.
Why is it that Intel processors have advanced so slowly? Is it because of the lack of competition from AMD?

I'm stuck on a 955BE and am thinking about upgrading. Even a 2500k would be a significant upgrade, but old hardware never drops in price...
AMD has had lackluster gains in IPC and it matters a lot for gaming. Their chips ARE a lot better now, Kaveri is a step in the right direction, it's just not enough clockspeed even with the 10-20% IPC gain. Bulldozer was just so bad.
You can get a used P67 / Z77 motherboard for cheap (<$80) and put in a used 2500K/3570K ($150) if you like.

Qassim

The focus on mobile. Intel design their architectures for mobile first (laptops, now tablets and phones) and then scale upwards. For consumer stuff anyway. It's all about energy efficiency these days.

The demand for high end desktop consumer CPUs is decreasing YoY.

Considering the 2500K came out 3 years ago and is still fantastic, CPU chipsets change ever year for no reason, and GPUs aren't drawing tons more power, all you have to do is swap the GPU out and overclock your CPU (or not) and you should be set for 2-4 years.

AMD has had lackluster gains in IPC and it matters a lot for gaming. Their chips ARE a lot better now, Kaveri is a step in the right direction, it's just not enough clockspeed even with the 10-20% IPC gain. Bulldozer was just so bad.
You can get a used P67 / Z77 motherboard for cheap (<$80) and put in a used 2500K/3570K ($150) if you like.
Thanks Haz! I might just go for it in that case. Cheers for the useful info.

I'm in the UK and the parts are more expensive overall but I'm happy to invest.

jonno394

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare

The only real difference is being able to remotely access your PC's files from another computer if you have Windows 8.1 Pro. For the money you'd save, go for the standard W8.1.

There are many places (I'm not sure I'm allowed to link you to) where you can just buy a standalone Windows 8.1 key from for like $5-20, then download the OS from wherever you like and verify it once installed.

Yeah but obtaining the iso is proving a pain in the bum so I'm going legit. All these windows software say they're for upgrading from old versions hence why it is confusing me as my new build won't have a former version. My mate pointed me in the direction of an oem version but I heard these are locked to the motherboard?

jonno394

All of my parts have arrived. Building tomorrow afternoon with my friend who has done this once before

*super nervous*

I have two weeks until my build and I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I've been watching videos and reading articles on the process but nothing will compare to doing it myself.

Coreda

I seem to remember reading recently that OEM Win 8 works differently than previous versions of Windows, allowing the user to install on whatever systems they like provided they have only one active activation. Unlike Win 7 OEM which is locked to the one motherboard.

Someone correct me if this isn't the case, I'd love to know.

bro1

Banned
I replaced the router with a new Apple Extreme AC router and I still have slow internet. Also, I am SO PISSED OFF. I was opening the router on my desk and it slipped out of the box and tumbled out, putting a chip on my new desk. Router seems fine (IT"S HUGE) but my paranoia is getting to me.

No speed improvements so far. I ordered a new NIC intel gigabyte which should be here on Monday. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Did a full reformat and still no speed improvements. going to hook another computer into the router and see if that is different. really pissed off

TheD

The Detective
"There are many factors that can influence input lag, including low game tick rate (e.g. Battlefield 4, which runs at a very low tick rate of 10 Hertz)"

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

That site is stupidly wrong, if it only updated at 10Hz (which is 100 ms), how did they measure average input lag of 70 odd ms on all the tests?!
If it was in fact only 10hz they should have an avg of around 50 ms with data points both below and above it (due to 100ms being the max latency that could go down to near 0 if you sent an input just before the game updated).
And then you have the fact that everything would stutter around like crazy!

Edit: I have just done a bit of googling and that "10 Hz" thing seems to be the rate at which the server sends updates to the client, that is not the same as how many times a second the local game updates and it will not cause input lag unless the game needs the the server to confirm an action before it takes place.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That site is stupidly wrong, if it only updated at 10Hz (which is 100 ms), how did they measure average input lag of 70 odd ms on all the tests?!
If it was in fact only 10hz they should have an avg of around 50 ms with data points both below and above it (due to 100ms being the max latency that could go down to near 0 if you sent an input just before the game updated).
And then you have the fact that everything would stutter around like crazy!
You can not understand something and also not call that site stupidly wrong.

Tick rate / input delay / server update are all different things.

https://twitter.com/Kalmalyzer/status/185830528681910273
http://np.reddit.com/r/battlefield_...e_what_tickrate_are_servers_running_at_on_pc/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493774073983/

TheD

The Detective

You are the one that does not seem to understand it, not me!
Have you read any of the links you posted?
They are talking about the server update rate being 10hz, not the local game update rate!

That site with the tests is just written by a fool that does not understand that the number of times the server sends updates is not the same as the local engine's update rate (which is what handles the firing of a gun, like in those tests!).

clem84

Gold Member
This might seem like a stupid question but do you guys order all your PC parts online?

I'm a little paranoid about ordering a 500$ gfx card that will be thrown around while in transit, like from a Canada post employee who's had a bad day. That's why I always order my stuff from brick and mortar stores.

However my local store can't get the stuff that I want, or not fast enough anyway. It's getting more and more tempting to order from online retailers.

Am I just being paranoid? Do you guys have generally good experiences when ordering PC parts online?

Zaph

Only use retailers with a good returns reputation and try to buy parts from manufacturers with local RMA locations.

Inspect the outer box on arrival and make sure you write 'Unchecked' in the signature box (that might just be a UK thing).

neoism

Are SSD prices stable right now? Planning to upgrade my 80GB Intel to a 250GB, either Crucial M500 or Samsung 840 EVO.

just got this...

DAMN... buy it now if you've never used ssd.... my hdd of like 5 years died and I lost like 100gbs of files... this thing is amazing will never use hdd again.

HoosTrax

This might seem like a stupid question but do you guys order all your PC parts online?

I'm a little paranoid about ordering a 500$ gfx card that will be thrown around while in transit, like from a Canada post employee who's had a bad day. That's why I always order my stuff from brick and mortar stores.

However my local store can't get the stuff that I want, or not fast enough anyway. It's getting more and more tempting to order from online retailers.

Am I just being paranoid? Do you guys have generally good experiences when ordering PC parts online?
I've never had anything I ordered online broken in transit. I think the only thing I buy from brick and mortar stores these days is food (and I also buy some of my food online as well, from Amazon).

The Stealth Fox

Where would I find that? Craigslist?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You are the one that does not seem to understand it, not me!
Have you read any of the links you posted?
They are talking about the server update rate being 10hz, not the local game update rate!

That site with the tests is just written by a fool that does not understand that the number of times the server sends updates is not the same as the local engine's update rate (which is what handles the firing of a gun, like in those tests!).
Oh whoops, yeah I just got defensive of blurbusters because they do good work on 120Hz+/Strobing, but yeah you are correct. He is trying to correlate two different things.
I've had too many discussions about server and tick rate in another game and it makes everyone stupid I swear.
Where would I find that? Craigslist?
eBay / BST threads on forums

Curious about this. If the latest AMD cores have gained over 20% of IPC, why isn't this making much of a difference? Or is the 7850K a bad overclocker?

I've got such a bad case of blue balls right now. I ordered my parts tuesday last week, case arrived on monday while the rest was shipped on wednesday and it's not here yet >.>

I seem to remember reading recently that OEM Win 8 works differently than previous versions of Windows, allowing the user to install on whatever systems they like provided they have only one active activation. Unlike Win 7 OEM which is locked to the one motherboard.

Someone correct me if this isn't the case, I'd love to know.

Yeah it is true, it is not really the same type of OEM anymore.

Guys, I've been struggling to get my PC to boot up. I built the computer using the specs listed in the small form factor guide in the OP but the PC won't start. First time I tried turning it on it was on for like 2 seconds and turned off. Now, if I try turning it on the CPU fan just jerks for a moment and nothing happens. I've tried removing the ram and leaving one stick, tried swapping the sticks, tried taking the heat sink off and placing it back on, went to the store and got another psu and nothing. The case doesn't have standoff screws for the board since it already elevates the motherboard so there isn't contact. Ive spent all day on this and I have nothing to show for it. Anyone have any advice?

Clott

Damn it, I can't find a dock that can handle two 1TB SSD, I need to move files from a raid onto them so I can continue working on this project.

All the docks I find online seem to have a catch!! I can't figure this out.

clem84

Gold Member
Guys, I've been struggling to get my PC to boot up. I built the computer using the specs listed in the small form factor guide in the OP but the PC won't start. First time I tried turning it on it was on for like 2 seconds and turned off. Now, if I try turning it on the CPU fan just jerks for a moment and nothing happens. I've tried removing the ram and leaving one stick, tried swapping the sticks, tried taking the heat sink off and placing it back on, went to the store and got another psu and nothing. The case doesn't have standoff screws for the board since it already elevates the motherboard so there isn't contact. Ive spent all day on this and I have nothing to show for it. Anyone have any advice?

Seems like you've tried to isolate the problem as much as you could. Could it be the motherboard? Did you buy the parts online?

As a last resort, you could try taking it to a local computer store and have them take a look at it.

Zaph

Damn it, I can't find a dock that can handle two 1TB SSD, I need to move files from a raid onto them so I can continue working on this project.

All the docks I find online seem to have a catch!! I can't figure this out.
Not sure if it's in your price range, but we use Blackmagic Multidocks for this exact purpose (you'll need a Thunderbolt PCIe card if you don't already have one). Blazing fast.

Seems like you've tried to isolate the problem as much as you could. Could it be the motherboard? Did you buy the parts online?

As a last resort, you could try taking it to a local computer store and have them take a look at it.

All of it was bought online. I guess taking it get looked at is my last option. Bah.

Clott

Not sure if it's in your price range, but we use Blackmagic Multidocks for this exact purpose (you'll need a Thunderbolt PCIe card if you don't already have one). Blazing fast.

Is there anything on the market for less than 500? I wouldn't want to pay more than 200 for a dock.

DarkFlow

Banned
Alright, so this is what I'm decided as of now to upgrade to. I already have a HAF 912 and RAM so that's why it's not in the list.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $860.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-18 20:10 EST-0500)

I'm trying to go as cheap as I can, but not to the point I'm getting crap.

Zaph

Is there anything on the market for less than 500? I wouldn't want to pay more than 200 for a dock.
Yeah, I believe there's a ssd thunderbolt dock for around 200, but it's only single slot.

Anything thunderbolt is gonna have a nasty markup as it's pro/semipro. But for easily managing massive project files across several SSD's, nothing beats it at that price point IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom