• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxon

NoRéN;97615025 said:
Is this a good time to buy a video card? Or will the upcoming batch lower the price of the current ones?

In general, once Maxwell's 880/70/60 series hits (current rumor is just a 750Ti), the existing series will see price cuts. The 700 series, however, just was cut with the AMD GPUs forcing the cuts, so who knows--could still be a ways off for the 800 series.

bro1

Banned
Tested out my internet both wired and unwired on a PC and Mac. Speeds are still half of what I should get. My ISP says their tests are normal. At a loss here. Any advice?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Alright, so this is what I'm decided as of now to upgrade to. I already have a HAF 912 and RAM so that's why it's not in the list.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dwzs/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $860.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-18 20:10 EST-0500)

I'm trying to go as cheap as I can, but not to the point I'm getting crap.

Is there a reason you are going with a microATX?

DSix

Banned
I figured most of my config now, except for the motherboard. The biostar stuff in the OP seems rare and expensive in France, so that's out of the question for me.

Which one should I take, an Asus B85-PLUS C2 or an MSI B85-G43 Gaming?
I'm going for B85 instead of Z87 since i have absolutely no interest in overclocking.

Here's the rest of my future config for reference:
- i5 4570 3.2ghz
- AMD R9 270X 2GB
- 8gb DDR3 Kingston at whatev speed dont care
- my good old Corsair 530HX, about 5 years in use and probably going for 5 more.

Alright, I got this budget build off reddit awhile ago. I'm a bit broke, so I'm not buying everything immediately, but I was wondering if someone could look at this and tell me if it's decent. I think I need to change motherboard cause the one on this list is sold out in some places, and maybe you guys could recommend replacements. It's for gaming and I know it's a budget build, but I'm looking for as high frame rates possible. I'm talking 120 fps in DOTA 2, and the rest of Valve games. I already have some hard drives and some ram laying around so I removed those from my link.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Taco_Human/saved/3sqR

Thoughts?

Sajjaja

Alright, I got this budget build off reddit awhile ago. I'm a bit broke, so I'm not buying everything immediately, but I was wondering if someone could look at this and tell me if it's decent. I think I need to change motherboard cause the one on this list is sold out in some places, and maybe you guys could recommend replacements. It's for gaming and I know it's a budget build, but I'm looking for as high frame rates possible. I'm talking 120 fps in DOTA 2, and the rest of Valve games. I already have some hard drives and some ram laying around so I removed those from my link.

Thoughts?

You forgot the RAM.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
@Hazaro, that's why i was asking if the chip doesn't overclock well. Wonder how high it could go with same voltage and what gains it could achieve this way.
They seem to OC to 4.2 alright, it's a valid purchase if you dont plan on upgrading the PC right now and are aiming for best $/value.

Thoughts?
Go by the OP builds, updated and better.
Guys, I've been struggling to get my PC to boot up. I built the computer using the specs listed in the small form factor guide in the OP but the PC won't start. First time I tried turning it on it was on for like 2 seconds and turned off. Now, if I try turning it on the CPU fan just jerks for a moment and nothing happens. I've tried removing the ram and leaving one stick, tried swapping the sticks, tried taking the heat sink off and placing it back on, went to the store and got another psu and nothing. The case doesn't have standoff screws for the board since it already elevates the motherboard so there isn't contact. Ive spent all day on this and I have nothing to show for it. Anyone have any advice?

I know it's a pain but did you go go though the trouble shooting steps (all of them) in the second post? Main thing is out of case bare minimum assembly.

I need help purchasing a monitor. Ideally I'd like to spend $150ish but full disclosure I'm willing to go up to about $230ish. Don't take that as find the most expensive one, I'm going for bang for buck here.

I'm new to PC gaming and probably couldn't tell you the difference between response times. This monitor is going to be directly next to my TV which my PC is connected to. I'm doing a lot of couch gaming so this monitor doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. I would like at least 1080p though. 60hz is fine as well. Honestly my MAIN concern is the stability of the monitor on its base. I absolutely hate wobbly monitors. Why every monitor manufacturer decided that a 1" attachment from base to screen is sturdy is beyond me.

I also would like to buy one at B&M stores if at all possible. I have a Fry's near my and literally pushed every monitor's side to check for wobble. The only one I liked was This one, Dell S2340M. Really though, stability of the monitor will trump most other features for me. Anyone have opinions on Dell monitors?

I know it's a pain but did you go go though the trouble shooting steps (all of them) in the second post? Main thing is out of case bare minimum assembly.

Yup, several times in fact. I just RMA'd the motherboard because there isn't anything else I could do. If the new one doesn't work then it's probably a CPU issue. Thanks for the advice, though.

Now that the new consoles are out, when is it expected that it will be an 'optimal' time to build a new PC? I know things always get updated etc etc, however I bought a decent PC and put it together in Feb 2011 which has been great these past few years. i5 2500K, Radeon 6900 series, 4GB Ram, runs most things on max or close to max like a dream, the only things it doesn't run well are things that are generally considered to be poorly optimised (example - AssCreed 4 it will go from running 50fps+ with literally everything maxed to 10fps with everything on low when too many trees come in)

I'm happy to wait but I'm also looking at potentially upgrading, as I feel that part of why my PC ran everything perfectly so long is because of the consoles keeping gaming back so long, and now that shitty ports are coming from next gen games I will be held back. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do next?

Also 3D gaming is it still a massive hassle/money sink?

NoRéN

In general, once Maxwell's 880/70/60 series hits (current rumor is just a 750Ti), the existing series will see price cuts. The 700 series, however, just was cut with the AMD GPUs forcing the cuts, so who knows--could still be a ways off for the 800 series.
My 7850 is still good enough for me at the moment but I definitely want an upgrade. Main thing I hate is seeing a price cut right after i buy so I suppose that's what I'm afraid of. When are the new video cards supposed to debut if they do?
Yes. You can get a new gtx 770 for $329 now.

I don't know if I can justify minimal gains over a 760 for about $80 more. The 760 was the card I'm leaning toward unless something newer and better were to release for a similar price.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yup, several times in fact. I just RMA'd the motherboard because there isn't anything else I could do. If the new one doesn't work then it's probably a CPU issue. Thanks for the advice, though.
Bummer to hear that, the only thing I can think of if inspecting the CPU socket for pin damage and reseating memory. CPU failures are extremely extremely rare, hope it's just the mobo.
Now that the new consoles are out, when is it expected that it will be an 'optimal' time to build a new PC? I know things always get updated etc etc, however I bought a decent PC and put it together in Feb 2011 which has been great these past few years. i5 2500K, Radeon 6900 series, 4GB Ram, runs most things on max or close to max like a dream, the only things it doesn't run well are things that are generally considered to be poorly optimised (example - AssCreed 4 it will go from running 50fps+ with literally everything maxed to 10fps with everything on low when too many trees come in)

I'm happy to wait but I'm also looking at potentially upgrading, as I feel that part of why my PC ran everything perfectly so long is because of the consoles keeping gaming back so long, and now that shitty ports are coming from next gen games I will be held back. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do next?

Also 3D gaming is it still a massive hassle/money sink?
Just OC your 2500K, get 8GB of RAM and swap in a new GPU. No point in buying new other stuff.

3D gaming is meh imo, all about that 120Hz

Bummer to hear that, the only thing I can think of if inspecting the CPU socket for pin damage and reseating memory. CPU failures are extremely extremely rare, hope it's just the mobo.

Just OC your 2500K, get 8GB of RAM and swap in a new GPU. No point in buying new other stuff.

3D gaming is meh imo, all about that 120Hz

Didn't even think of that re: RAM and GPU, so dumb of me.

Any decent OCing websites/blogs for the non techy of us out there? :)

DarkFlow

Banned
Why not just put an i5 or an i7 in that?

No PCI express 3.0, or usb 3.0. I could get a Ivy Bridge CPU, but it's the same as a Haswell, and I want PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0. I have a i3-2120 so I'm upgrading 2 gens, and feel it's worth the cost of a new MoBo.

kennah

No PCI express 3.0, or usb 3.0. I could get a Ivy Bridge CPU, but it's the same as a Haswell, and I want PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0.

USB 3 I can understand, but nothing takes advantage of PCI 3.0 yet. Sure you can't get away with upgrading to Ivy and a USB3 add in card? (Not that I'm trying to talk you out of upgrading or anything)

DarkFlow

Banned
USB 3 I can understand, but nothing takes advantage of PCI 3.0 yet. Sure you can't get away with upgrading to Ivy and a USB3 add in card? (Not that I'm trying to talk you out of upgrading or anything)

GTX 780 uses PCI 3.0 does it not? I could, but 60 more bucks is not all that much more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No PCI express 3.0, or usb 3.0. I could get a Ivy Bridge CPU, but it's the same as a Haswell, and I want PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0. I have a i3-2120 so I'm upgrading 2 gens, and feel it's worth the cost of a new MoBo.
USB 3.0 card is $20 and PCI-E 3.0 doesn't matter (Sub 1%), not really a good reason to upgrade from a value perspective now.

kennah

And since you're not going over clocked i5 anyway, you wouldn't see that much of a boost from Haswell versus Ivy. Maybe 10%. i think you'd see much better value in just adding a USB3 Card and getting a 3770 (non K).

Then again, you'd recoup that $60 easily selling your i3 and motherboard, so it's six of one half a dozen of the other.

Just doing the upgrade would save you reloading windows at least.

DarkFlow

Banned
USB 3.0 card is $20 and PCI-E 3.0 doesn't matter (Sub 1%), not really a good reason to upgrade from a value perspective now.

Haswell not a big upgrade over Ivy? Also I'm basically going to take all the guts out of the my current rig, and stuff them in a HTPC case for my TV. Just need some RAM and little HDD for it.

kennah

Haswell not a big upgrade over Ivy? Also I'm basically going to take all the guts out of the my current rig, and stuff them in a HTPC case for my TV. Just need some RAM and little HDD for it.

It's a very small difference in performance (around 10% faster clock for clock), unless you're running emulation like Dolphin (20% and above faster).

Having the other stuff for an HTPC is a good argument. Hard to say. Since you're trying to save cashola... hmm.

Big Chungus

A little bit each time my knee knocks or I put a USB cable in the side, but IMO the elevation is worth it. They also have the Phenom which is very similar in layout, but no risers.

What do you mean by the elevation?

I really want to buy this case but i'm just worried that it'll tip over..

DarkFlow

Banned
It's a very small difference in performance (around 10% faster clock for clock), unless you're running emulation like Dolphin (20% and above faster).

Having the other stuff for an HTPC is a good argument. Hard to say. Since you're trying to save cashola... hmm.

Well I need to find a case that can fit the ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM, or I'll have to just buy a ITX board anyway. I'm not trying to go super cheap, I have about 1500 to use, but I'm also looking to get a NAS for media, and a asus rt-ac66u router. I have about 3 weeks to play around with all this, so I'll see what I can do.

Scum

I need help with RAM. Here's the build I'll be ordering.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro

Cheers.

kennah

Well I need to find a case that can fit the ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM, or I'll have to just buy a ITX board anyway. I'm not trying to go super cheap, I have about 1500 to use, but I'm also looking to get a NAS for media, and a asus rt-ac66u router. I have about 3 weeks to play around with all this, so I'll see what I can do.

AH, in that case... yeah. Since you're not over clocking, just upgrade what you have now and get an APU in a TINY CASE for the HTPC. You'll have much better results overall.

Heck, you could even get one of the Xeons listed in the CPU Support Page for your motherboard. They're basically an i7 without the overclockability or on chip graphics.

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Cheers.

Whatever you can find cheapest that is 1.35 or 1.5V, 1600MHz and of one of the following brands (Kingston, Corsair, GSkill, Patriot). Don't worry about getting anything higher than 1600MHz, nothing really takes advantage of it in games. Don't buy 1.6V ram, it runs hot. Make sure to get LOW PROFILE ram and nothing that has ridiculous heat spreaders. They do nothing.

DarkFlow

Banned

Cheers.

The PSU is overkill IMO. You could easily use a 600-650 w Bronze or higher and be fine.

As for Ram, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na 16GB should do ya, or 8 if you want to save some cash.

Zaph

What do you mean by the elevation?

I really want to buy this case but i'm just worried that it'll tip over..
The gap between the floor and the bottom of the case - over an inch of clearance. There is slight wobble, but you won't tip it over without a large amount of force - it's a wide case so the centre of gravity is low.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I took your advice and said, screw the new Mobo and Haswell. Going to get a Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor for $229. I'm getting a GTX 780, so I don't need the CPU video anyway. i7 power for i5 price!

kharma45

So I took your advice and said, screw the new Mobo and Haswell. Going to get a Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor for $229. I'm getting a GTX 780, so I don't need the CPU video anyway. i7 power for i5 price!

Good value chips those if you don't care about OCing.

kennah

Great! I'm excited to see what you do for your SFF computer now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom