• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Thanks for the info kharma.

i guess the idea i had would be that it is the first upgrade i do to the computer -- just throw in the second card in a couple of years to make the machine better.

is it not worth doing?

cool, thanks for the suggestion here.

i guess most of the reason why i chose that one is cause i like the look of it. i'm okay with spending more on the case since that is re-usable down the line.

are there any technical reasons i should get a smaller tower? does heat dissipate better or something?

thank you for this, i'll definitely take a deeper look at what you listed. i only bought 2 pieces so far, so i'm still flexible here.

no, i just thought it'd be easier to see what things they were if they were all just at Newegg. Right now, i'm shopping around at Newegg/Amazon/Fry's Elecronics. There's a Micro Center around here, but they seemed to only have a good price on the processor and motherboard (which I've bought).

Chances are if it's years down the line (2+ years) you'd be better off just getting a new single GPU. 20nm tech would've matured by then so we should be getting a good boost over the 28nm cards of today. You can get the big wattage one if you want just in case you ever do go SLI but my feeling is if you're not doing it from the off it's likely you won't do it in 2-3 years, rather just change to a new single GPU solution and save yourself from the headaches that SLI will bring.

Of course looks are important in choosing a case, so it is important to choose something that pleases you aesthetically. The cases I'm looking at like the R4 would have you spending less than you are now. To give you an idea what size the R4 is (and that NZXT) for fitting stuff in it this is it with 2 GPUs and an air cooler, and one of the front drive cages are removed

900x900px-LL-2be7ce61_upgrade.jpeg

The NZXT is similarly spacious. This is it with a single GPU and a closed loop water cooler

DSC_1407.jpg

Now for the XL R2 (or any other full tower case) they're really designed for doing one of these two set-ups, either 3-4 GPUs or full on water cooling like in the pictures below

Caseedited-X3.jpg

fractal2.jpg

My opinion would be that for 2 or less GPUs then a mid-tower is more than enough room. There's no need for a full tower unless you're doing one or both of the scenarios above. It's not a great quality image but here's the size difference between two Fractal cases, one is a mid tower (like the R4) and the other a full tower (like the XL R2)

fractcal-037.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
100% agreed with everything above. Mid towers are huge now, and provide enough cooling for most builds. Heck, mATX I think could easily become standard with stuff like the 350d and Arc Mini.

kharma45

Thanks guys, ordered one.

Now I pretty much have the entire enthusiast build from your Prodigy build, mkenyon. Really loving the Asus VI Impact motherboard (first Asus board ever) :p

Make sure and post some pics when you're done! We don't get enough pictures of completed builds in here for my liking.

100% agreed with everything above. Mid towers are huge now, and provide enough cooling for most builds. Heck, mATX I think could easily become standard with stuff like the 350d and Arc Mini.

It still feels like mATX boards though in the mid-range are poorer cousins to their ATX versions, although this is me going by 1155 ones. I've not really looked in to 1150 boards to see how the two sizes shape up at the more affordable end.

Yep. Always forget there is one, as at that wattage the Antec BP550 is such a better deal. But it's definitely not as quiet.

It is yeah, but I've found more often than not now there is usually a better option than it around the $60 mark. The problem is keeping track as the offers change so quick. Today for instance the Rosewill Capstone 550w is $50.

mkenyon

Banned
Make sure and post some pics when you're done! We don't get enough pictures of completed builds in here for my liking.
Ask and ye shall receive.

So i was thinking about building a PC to go in my living room, but would have liked it to fit in my stand: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OS1WGQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
is this not feasible? all the cases i see in the micro are still too tall. I could probably create a floating shelf for the pc, just hoping to fit it into a cubby.
Check this out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95808604&postcount=3

thespot84

said htpc build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($103.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.67 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($59.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.94 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $468.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 15:31 EST-0500)

thoughts?

kharma45

said htpc build:

thoughts?

Do you already own the i3 by any chance? As it's two generations old otherwise and there are better options.

Different PSU needed too. Are you looking for an HTPC in the same of say a PS4 or something? As the Prodigy is quite big

small_vs_large_PCs.jpg

kharma45

Thanks, but the specs on that thing says 210mm, which is over 8 inches, while the cubby is 6 inches tall.

What are you looking to do with it? I was throwing this together for the guy up above as an option

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.66 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $400.60
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 15:51 EST-0500)

Only downer with it is if you need an optical drive it's no good.

thespot84

What are you looking to do with it? I was throwing this together for the guy up above as an option

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.66 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $400.60
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 15:51 EST-0500)

why the WD over a hitachi, I figured after that failure report hitachi was the way to go...

I'm looking for a gaming PC. Was eyeing the parts in the 1k model in the OP. would something like that fit the case, or would i need to order special parts to fit? No optical drive needed. would just be using wifi, bluetooth keyboard/mouse/controller, and have HDMI out.

mkenyon

Banned
I have the R4 case and this same cooler (H80i), and currently I have the fan, radiator, fan. Is it beneficial to just have the radiator and the fan as an exhaust?
As long as both fans on your H80 are the same, and are pointing in the same direction (hopefully exhaust out the back), then it'll perform better than a single fan.
I'm looking for a gaming PC. Was eyeing the parts in the 1k model in the OP. would something like that fit the case, or would i need to order special parts to fit? No optical drive needed. would just be using wifi, bluetooth keyboard/mouse/controller, and have HDMI out.
Again, I'd direct you to the SFF guide, and the RVZ01.

I'd also advise for standard radio wireless over Bluetooth. BT has some pretty nasty input lag.

Dawg

Can someone explain to me again how GPU wattage works again? Like, I've seen someone say a GPU with 2x8pin = 300W + 75W from the PCIe slot. (375W total for just the GPU)

However, I then looked up a review for a GPU with two 8pin slots and the entire system pulled around 303W in stress.

Coreda

Has anyone here used Thermolab CPU coolers before? They're a Korean brand that seem to make rather remarkable low profile coolers.

y618eFz.jpg

Their BADA model received a 94% review score on FrostyTech, outperforming many other larger, well-rated coolers. The updated BADA2010 model also rating highly and improving the noise levels, besting the Noctua U9B in temps and being almost equal in noise.

Hard to find many user reviews of these as they don't appear to be sold many places internationally, but from what I've read owners have been pleased with their low temps. It seems they don't offer an international warranty, but otherwise I've been seriously considering one.

mkenyon

Banned
Can someone explain to me again how GPU wattage works again? Like, I've seen someone say a GPU with 2x8pin = 300W + 75W from the PCIe slot. (375W total for just the GPU)

However, I then looked up a review for a GPU with two 8pin slots and the entire system pulled around 303W in stress.
They're rated for absolute worst case scenario, as well as overhead for overclocking. If you OC a GPU to the limit of the silicon, and then ran it in something like Furmark, you might get pretty close to the max draw.

You definitely can not determine a videocard's draw by pin configuration.

Dawg

They're rated for absolute worst case scenario, as well as overhead for overclocking. If you OC a GPU to the limit of the silicon, and then ran it in something like Furmark, you might get pretty close to the max draw.

You definitely can not determine a videocard's draw by pin configuration.

Figured something like that when I saw a guru3d review of a GTX 770 with full system wattage at 303W :p Little hard to believe the rest of the system would only pull 3W :p

Thanks for the info.

And Kharma, here's a picture, I've posted it a while ago in this thread. Only upgrading the PSU because it's getting noisy

20131112_2014579ojbw.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I love that keyboard, so nice. For some reason, it feels better than the few other Cherry Red boards I have around. Plus TKL.

Gorgeous setup.

So I finally set up my new laptop, and now I'm looking for a wireless mouse. Any suggestions?

I don't need anything fancy, just something that is reliable, easy to use, and suitable for general computer stuff but is still good for some gaming. Preferably inexpensive too.

kharma45

why the WD over a hitachi, I figured after that failure report hitachi was the way to go...

The WD figures are skewed by their Green drives which have a fairly poor reliability record. The Blue's are solid as HDDs go.

Figured something like that when I saw a guru3d review of a GTX 770 with full system wattage at 303W :p Little hard to believe the rest of the system would only pull 3W :p

Thanks for the info.

And Kharma, here's a picture, I've posted it a while ago in this thread. Only upgrading the PSU because it's getting noisy

20131112_2014579ojbw.jpg

Nice.
Has anyone here used Thermolab CPU coolers before? They're a Korean brand that seem to make rather remarkable low profile coolers.

y618eFz.jpg

Their BADA model received a 94% review score on FrostyTech, outperforming many other larger, well-rated coolers. The updated BADA2010 model also rating highly and improving the noise levels, besting the Noctua U9B in temps and being almost equal in noise.

Hard to find many user reviews of these as they don't appear to be sold many places internationally, but from what I've read owners have been pleased with their low temps. It seems they don't offer an international warranty, but otherwise I've been seriously considering one.

What sort of price is that?

Yeah that case I suggested ain't no good. It's for HTPC rather than SFF gaming. As mkenyon said look to the RVZ01 case for an ITX chassis. It should fit.

So I finally set up my new laptop, and now I'm looking for a wireless mouse. Any suggestions?

I don't need anything fancy, just something that is reliable, easy to use, and suitable for general computer stuff but is still good for some gaming. Preferably inexpensive too.

I've liked Logitech's stuff. Depends on whether you want a full sized or a travel sized one. I've an M510 for desktop use (well I used to, lent it to my brother) and an M305 for my laptop. Very happy with both.

I've liked Logitech's stuff. Depends on whether you want a full sized or a travel sized one. I've an M510 for desktop use (well I used to, lent it to my brother) and an M305 for my laptop. Very happy with both.
Yeah, I was looking at some Logitech stuff. The track pad keys on my new laptop are so damn sensitive that it's driving me crazy. (I know this a common issue with new laptops, but it's making me nuts.)

Plus I prefer the precision of a mouse.

Thanks.

kharma45

About $40-60 depending on where it's bought. Thermolab's site has a reseller list here, however only one US distributor had it in stock. Also found it on Gmarket.com for around $30 minus shipping.

Pricey enough.

Yeah, I was looking at some Logitech stuff. The track pad keys on my new laptop are so damn sensitive that it's driving me crazy. (I know this a common issue with new laptops, but it's making me nuts.)

Plus I prefer the precision of a mouse.

Thanks.

No worries.

Where's the cheapest place to get a Windows 8 key?

Reddit on r/softwareswap

Dawg

great mouse

Yeah, it's amazing. Only thing I seem to notice is some kind of... resistance? Like it skips movement every now and then. Is that what people mean when they say "angle snapping"? When I'm playing WoW and I'm dragging the mouse icon really fast to the taskbar and then stop, I feel like it skips or doesn't do the angle the way my hand does it.

It's kinda hard to explain. Maybe it's negative acceleration? So many mouse terms, I don't understand half of them :p

thespot84

i'm gonna step in and tell you to grab a gigabyte z87 UD3H or 4H because it has better VRMs than the MSI
am I doing it right? PS i love my ud4h

Geneijin

My current PC:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HD MI PCI-Express Video Card HD485XZNFC
HDD: Samsung Electronics MZ-7PD128BW 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: Corsair CX Series 500 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 456 Power Supply CX500M
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

I'm indecisive right now. I'm content with my PC with what I currently use it for - general web browsing, HD video playback, and SD video streaming. But I have a strange urge to build a PC finally (I commissioned friends to help me build prior) for reasons... I'm not interested in PC games, but PS2 emulation is something I would be into. HD video streaming too depending on how much it'd be?

Budget: $600 U.S. I guess?
Looking to reuse any parts?: Definitely the soundcard. Probably the SSD too. Maybe the case. I'm leaning towards making my old PC the secondary spare. Thoughts?
When will you build?: No deadline really. That i5 4570 3.2 ghz for $180 is tempting, but my friend advises me that I should wait til Intel's new line of products arrive for sales on old stuff. Would it be worthwhile waiting though?
Will you be overclocking?: Not at all.

Edit: What I've gathered so far. How does it look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $672.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-07 02:54 EST-0500)

so, as some of you know, some hdds i had were getting some bad sectors, and i bought new ones. finally came back from the trip, to find that the hdd where steam games were stored got corrupted for some reason, and practically my whole games library got corrupted.
My question: should i try using those recover programs(recuva, etc) or it would be really not organized, as in it would be easier to just download everything again instead?

Whogie

The HDDs in my Fractal R4 are vibrating the case and driving me nuts. I need a way to reduce their vibrations.

maneil99

so, as some of you know, some hdds i had were getting some bad sectors, and i bought new ones. finally came back from the trip, to find that the hdd where steam games were stored got corrupted for some reason, and practically my whole games library got corrupted.
My question: should i try using those recover programs(recuva, etc) or it would be really not organized, as in it would be easier to just download everything again instead?

Start from scratch if I were you, I hate having a clogged HDD, I have OCD though so... Also depends on Bandwidth caps

maneil99

New goods. Change of mind, instead of getting the EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX, I got the MSI GTX 780 Lightning:

Nice box.

Nicer box inside.

Lo and behold, the card itself.

Seriously this thing is a mammoth.

Setup inside.

Lightning card on.

Damn MSI wasn't playing around with this card, this thing is a beaut. Now it's time to actually play with it!

I'd download a custom Bios if I were you. All they do is remove the stupid TDP cap on the card. For instance my 780 throttled because it hit the 108% limit (270w~) now it has access to 350w although it never uses anything close to that.

I'd download a custom Bios if I were you. All they do is remove the stupid TDP cap on the card. For instance my 780 throttled because it hit the 108% limit (270w~) now it has access to 350w although it never uses anything close to that.

Yeah I was planning on doing that after reading up on it. Any source on where to d.l the bios?

HoosTrax

So the RMA didn't turn out nearly as bad as I feared:

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be though, since there's no such thing as a 6GB Vapor-X 7970. Unless he really means the Toxic, which I guess has a Vapor-X cooler.

edit: nvm, I found it -- there really is a Vapor-X 6GB. never saw that one at NewEgg

mkenyon... that BitFenix Prodigy build... I'm getting sweaty...

EDIT: How much of an upgrade would a 770 be to a 7850? I've got the upgrade itch but I don't really know what or when to buy. That bitcoin bullshit inflating prices and what not -_-

onken

If several games are having problems, it probably means drivers are to blame. Make one change at a time, so you can keep track of things in case you introduce a new problem.
Make certain you have the latest drivers from Gigabyte for your motherboard, including network and audio.
If this doesn't help, try using the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia for the GPU.
If you get to this point and there's still no joy, I would check the BIOS firmware version you are using on the motherboard and see if there are any more recent releases. The 780Ti is a new card and some motherboards need to be updated to support it properly.

Will try, thanks for the advice!

Tablo

EDIT: How much of an upgrade would a 770 be to a 7850? I've got the upgrade itch but I don't really know what or when to buy. That bitcoin bullshit inflating prices and what not -_-
That would be a pretty big upgrade, and alot more software features would come into play. Go for it. 770 pricing seems sane.

kharma45

My current PC:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HD MI PCI-Express Video Card HD485XZNFC
HDD: Samsung Electronics MZ-7PD128BW 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: Corsair CX Series 500 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 456 Power Supply CX500M
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

I'm indecisive right now. I'm content with my PC with what I currently use it for - general web browsing, HD video playback, and SD video streaming. But I have a strange urge to build a PC finally (I commissioned friends to help me build prior) for reasons... I'm not interested in PC games, but PS2 emulation is something I would be into. HD video streaming too depending on how much it'd be?

Budget: $600 U.S. I guess?
Looking to reuse any parts?: Definitely the soundcard. Probably the SSD too. Maybe the case. I'm leaning towards making my old PC the secondary spare. Thoughts?
When will you build?: No deadline really. That i5 4570 3.2 ghz for $180 is tempting, but my friend advises me that I should wait til Intel's new line of products arrive for sales on old stuff. Would it be worthwhile waiting though?
Will you be overclocking?: Not at all.

Edit: What I've gathered so far. How does it look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $672.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-07 02:54 EST-0500)

You might as well re-use your Corsair CX PSU too, and just buy another 4GB of RAM. 8GB is plenty for that set up but if you want 12GB go ahead, it's just a bit overkill. Unless that is you want to keep those bits for a second PC as you've suggested. As that case is still good to go too.

Since emulation is important I recommend getting a 4670K and a Z87 motherboard so you can overclock. The bits you've chosen cannot do that and emulation benefits greatly as it's a CPU bound task.

This is also a better PSU for less than the Antec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Picking your parts will all depend on what you're going to do with what you have. Either carry most over or create a second PC from it.

I forgot to ask, why do you recommend switching to that mobo? Reviews seem to be lower for it.

User reviews? None are great for Z87 on Newegg. It's a better board than the G45, and if you're doing to overclock you want the better VRMs and VRM cooling it offers

16a.jpg

CM 690 II I'd not get either. Better choice would be something like the Fractal R4 or the NZXT H230.

It'd be a big jump. Try OCing your 7850 first to see if that helps with the performance itch. A lot of them can reach 1.2GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom