• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLma

I'm not 100% positive, but I think you're doing too much of an overclock on the memory. The core should be 1st priority, as it will result in the largest FPS gains.

780 cores overclock very well from what I've read.

XBOX WON

Banned
guys what you think of this GPU ? :

ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX770 2GB GDDR5 256-bit, DVI-I/DVI-D/ HDMI/DP PCI-Express 3.0 SLI ready Graphic Card OC-selected 1110MHz core

is it worth the money ? its on sale for 360$ ,any better options within this range ?

i want the best cards in terms of value for money , within 300$-400$ range .

Nakazato

yeah GPU first. By far the weakest link.

Sell the 2100 as suggested and you could look at used 2500K/3570K, could be a good saving.

Get the video card.

You could probably sell your i3 and existing video card for enough to get close to an upgrade for an i5

Thanks guys sadly can't sell the 2100 since it was hand me down. Ill sell my 5750 lol. Hoping when I get my check in the next 2 weeks there will be a sale on 760-770s

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
GAF are these temps normal cores 0 and 1 are always 5-10 higher? I haven't overclocked and my heatsink is a hyper 212 EVO. I moved my cpu and video card to an R4 from my old R3 and swapped my motherboard to a Asus P8 Z77-V Pro. I have reset the EVO four times and the temps are always similar to these and these are probably the best yet. I looked at the EVO to when I removed it to make sure the thermal paste was covering the CPU good too. These temps are better then my old R3 which hovered at ~40 idle with the hype 212+ that was on it.

SqckNts.png

Not really uncommon. Could be any number of things from the CPU itself to the way your thermal paste spread.

You don't want to remove and replace the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste though, since that can create air bubbles which trap heat and definitely cause variations in temperature like that.

Not really uncommon. Could be any number of things from the CPU itself to the way your thermal paste spread.

You don't want to remove and replace the heatsink without replacing the thermal paste though, since that can create air bubbles which trap heat and definitely cause variations in temperature like that.

Ok that is what I thought and yes I did replace the thermal paste between removals.

shwimpy

Noob question. What should I be installing to my SSD? Games? the OS itself? I don't think 250 GB is enough for all my games but I don't have the budget to go beyond that. Thanks.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Noob question. What should I be installing to my SSD? Games? the OS itself? I don't think 250 GB is enough for all my games but I don't have the budget to go beyond that. Thanks.

SSD would typically be your OS drive with extra room for more mission critical programs and games. Just be sure to deactivate disc defragmenting for the SSD after you have the OS up and running so you don't waste write cycles.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

OS, the multiplayer games that you go back to a lot, work stuff. then fill the rest with other games.

ok, so im thinking about finally upgrading my computer, from AMD Athalon II X4 620 to a Intel i7 ...question is, i currently have an 7850 Graphic Card, do i need to upgrade that now or i can wait a few more years?

kharma45

ok, so im thinking about finally upgrading my computer, from AMD Athalon II X4 620 to a Intel i7 ...question is, i currently have an 7850 Graphic Card, do i need to upgrade that now or i can wait a few more years?

That's up to you. Still a good GPU especially when overclocked. The time to upgrade it is when it no longer fulfils your needs.

NoRéN

I don't know about a few more years. I'm looking to upgrade myself.

I will say this, my Twin Frozr 7850 is running Crysis 3 on high settings at the moment. Not overclocked.

kharma45

NoRéN;100186169 said:
I don't know about a few more years. I'm looking to upgrade myself.

I will say this, my Twin Frozr 7850 is running Crysis 3 on high settings at the moment. Not overclocked.

Get playing with overclocking it. If you can get it up to 1.2GHz you're talking 7950 levels of performance.

Not all will OC though well though. I've had three and two could. My brothers doesn't either. Most should be able to get to 1050MHz easily enough.

I'll do one build with your current case and one sans it. Re use your RAM in both and your HDDs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: 8GB G.SKILL DDR2-1066 (Purchased)
Other: HDDs (Purchased)
Other: Antec 900 case
Total: $830.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 07:52 EST-0500)

Takes you slightly over but we could change the mobo if you wish to get under.

For one with a new case

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: 8GB G.SKILL DDR2-1066 (Purchased)
Total: $830.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 07:54 EST-0500)

Same deal again, we can change the mobo.

EDIT - I thought you had DDR3 RAM, so we will need to change it up a bit. Dropping the UD4H to the Biostar Z87W would enable you to slot in 8GB RAM.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Just to get a feel for the parts before I research exactly what I'm getting into: How do you think these specs will perform today and say, five years from now? Essentially, will I be able to handle newly released games on high/max with ease, and will I be on track to do another upgrade again in five years?

kennah

No one has any idea what the next five years will look like.

That said - I'd never expect anything to last 5 years anymore. We're damn lucky that the 2500K has lasted three - and maybe it will be good for another 2-3 years. But it's hard to say, since the new stuff is only 15-25% faster than the old stuff, what if something comes out that doubles speed?

But, even if something does a massive boost in speed, it'll be years before games catch up to the hardware enough to require that kinda thing. Sooo...yeah. No one knows. Anything could happen.

Spend what you can afford. Be prepared for upgrades. CPU every 3-5 years, GPU every 2-3 years.

kharma45

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Just to get a feel for the parts before I research exactly what I'm getting into: How do you think these specs will perform today and say, five years from now? Essentially, will I be able to handle newly released games on high/max with ease, and will I be on track to do another upgrade again in five years?

Honest answer, I don't know. If I was to guess CPU should still hold its own, GPU will need replaced by that stage. Also since I got your RAM mixed up I need to refine what I suggested

This first one is using the Antec 900 again

Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($74.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Antec 900 case
Total: $804.21
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 14:52 EST-0500)

If you wanted a different, quieter case the NZXT H230 is a solid buy at $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

It's quiet without having to pay near the $100 mark for an R4.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Does anyone know what's up with AVX2 heating up Haswell to seemingly unsafe temperatures? Check out this anandtech thread where the OP claims that the stock heatsink at stock settings will heat up to 100C with AVX2 instruction stress tests.

I believe him. I build quite a few PCs at work, and I'm teaching technicians how to do it so I can focus on more appropriate software development tasks.

With Haswell CPUs I have found that a really good closed loop cooler at a mere 1.25V fixed VCore will heat up to nearly 90C at 4.3 GHz with AVX2. I do this with Prime95 small FFTs. That's just fucking nuts. Without AVX2 these things barely hit 70C. I could easily jack up VCore to 1.3V and get most CPUs to 4.5 GHz, so this is lowering potential OCs.

Should we not worry about this considering Intel's own stock cooler/settings hits 100C?

Is Broadwell going to get rid of this absolute garbage thermal solder between the die/shield? Because with the same settings on Sandy Bridge at 4.6 GHz and 1.3 VCore, I barely breach 55C.

NoRéN

Get playing with overclocking it. If you can get it up to 1.2GHz you're talking 7950 levels of performance.

Not all will OC though well though. I've had three and two could. My brothers doesn't either. Most should be able to get to 1050MHz easily enough.

I got one that doesn't OC well. Kept crashing at 950MHz. :(

kharma45

Which to choose:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ML0MY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMLKA84/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I heard the GS is better than the Builder series of Corsair, but the Corsair builder is more popular and has receive more positive reviews.

What do you guys think?

650w modular Rosewill Hive on Newegg for $50 would be my choice.

NoRéN;100197215 said:
I got one that doesn't OC well. Kept crashing at 950MHz. :(

I know that feel :(

NoRéN

It may even have been you who posted the info for me to OC when i originally asked. I was so excited. I figured, small steps would be best.

It was like i got on a tricycle, pedaled once and somehow managed to fall and the tricycle blew up.

kyrax12

650w modular Rosewill Hive on Newegg for $50 would be my choice.

OOO THANKS FOR THAT!

What should I improve on then?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.48 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.23 @ Amazon)
Total: $641.65
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 16:46 EST-0500)

I am planning on taking out my laptop's SSD and putting on this computer though.

kharma45

NoRéN;100199177 said:
It may even have been you who posted the info for me to OC when i originally asked. I was so excited. I figured, small steps would be best.

It was like i got on a tricycle, pedaled once and somehow managed to fall and the tricycle blew up.

Both of ours are MSI TF3 cards too :( still happy enough with what it offers. I'll have it two years in April.

OOO THANKS FOR THAT!

What should I improve on then?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.48 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.23 @ Amazon)
Total: $641.65
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 16:46 EST-0500)

I am planning on taking out my laptop's SSD and putting on this computer though.

I wouldn't go AMD and you can do better than that case for $50. I'll get back to you with something.

Is Broadwell going to get rid of this absolute garbage thermal solder between the die/shield? Because with the same settings on Sandy Bridge at 4.6 GHz and 1.3 VCore, I barely breach 55C.

No, it'll never go back to the way Sandy Bridge was made. That'll be reserved for the Socket 2011 line.

So i just bought a new samsung monitor and im getting no signal whether i use hdmi or dvi. It works just fine when i plug it up to my HD tv but not the monitor. Any ideas?

teh_pwn

No, it'll never go back to the way Sandy Bridge was made. That'll be reserved for the Socket 2011 line.

What's going to prevent mobile haswell and slightly dusty desktops from bricking if they use AVX2 100% on all cores? I imagine that won't be uncommon anyone doing encoding in future software. That doesn't seem like ethical business; as in there could be a class action lawsuit.

Ieu

What's going to prevent mobile haswell and slightly dusty desktops from bricking if they use AVX2 100% on all cores? I imagine that won't be uncommon anyone doing encoding in future software. That doesn't seem like ethical business; as in there could be a class action lawsuit.

Throttling. You'd have to have an insane overclock for a processor to melt before it turns off/down.

teh_pwn

Throttling. You'd have to have an insane overclock for a processor to melt before it turns off/down.

I'm not so sure....maybe. I have seen a cooler's pump 90% fail so it cooled but so horribly that even at idle the CPU would creep up to 110C, bluescreen, and BIOS (because I use good motherboards) would catch the CPU error. Despite throttling down to 200 MHz, it wasn't enough.

Then, even if it throttles, what are the long term effects of 100C? Neighboring parts get damaged? Does the thermal paste deteriorate? AVX2 may be rare now, but I imagine it will be common with many apps starting to use secondary compute, like GPU acceleration.

It's not like this problem is going away. Skylakes' key performance feature is supposed to be some 512-bit super AVX.

Bydobob

[*]Change the RAM away from that stupidly tall stuff

What exactly is the deal here? Is it the cooler in his setup? I have 2 x 8Gb sticks of the stuff with an OC'd 4670k and Evo 212 but airflow doesn't seem to be a problem at all, with game temps rarely going over 50c. 3 case fans in a mid-tower case isn't exactly overkill either. I keep reading to go low profile but wondering if it actually makes much difference on most rigs.

kharma45

What exactly is the deal here? Is it the cooler in his setup? I have 2 x 8Gb sticks of the stuff with an OC'd 4670k and Evo 212 but airflow doesn't seem to be a problem at all, with game temps rarely going over 50c. 3 case fans in a mid-tower case isn't exactly overkill either. I keep reading to go low profile but wondering if it actually makes much difference on most rigs.

It can obstruct the mounting of some coolers, as well as providing no heat dissipation benefit for the sticks of RAM. They're entirely pointless.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
AMD cards just keep climbing.
You can get a 760 for the same price as a 270X now.

I think I'll hold off on building for a couple months.

kharma45

Quick question guys...

So I have a Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz right now with 8gb of ram and a GeForce 770.

Would buying something like that worth it? I have a bit of spare change after doing months of overtime at work and I have an itch to buy something lol.

http://products.ncix.com/detail/ncix-bundle-deal-msi-z87-g45-af-85023-1363.htm

Not really unless emulation was a big priority. Upgrade wise you could move to a 3770K for less, and if you've a Z series mobo overclock it too. Your i5 is still very solid though.

teh_pwn

Yeah. I'm pretty much sitting on my 6950 and I'm done with PC gaming until Witcher 3 comes out. I hope that once it does this shit is over with. The 290X really isn't that impressive. What is is...3x faster than the 6950? At 2x the price? Over 3 years after the 6950 came out? I'm not impressed at all. When I grew up we had 4x the performance gain over 3 years with price drops.

You also have Nvidia taking advantage of this selling their 780 TIs at $750 with a mere 3 GB of RAM. I'm not dropping a G on a card that will run reasonable fast in a year but will have to nerf texture/AA/resolution settings so I don't hit the memory pool limit. What they want you to do is spend another $300 on the Titan so you get the RAM, which probably costs them $50. Because fuck us that's why.

Serandur

I'm in the same boat. I'm quite sad, aftermarket 290s were looking so promising and even the 280X would have been an amazing deal at the price it was originally going for. I hope Maxwell starts shaking things up sooner rather than later.

Has anyone gone through the RMA process with Corsair?

My H80i's LED is constantly staying red even when I try to change it in CorsairLink, and on top of that, when I tried re-sitting the heatsink onto the CPU, I couldn't get the fan connector out of the heatsink and wound up pulling the whole connector socket out.

I'm curious to see if Corsair will even cover this.

teh_pwn

If there's any good from this, I hope that AMD is getting some of this cash. They're hurting bad as a company. I suspect they'll get bought out by someone like ARM holdings or IBM. Maybe even merge with an FPGA company as they're getting big.

Arksy

Hey guys, I tried googling but I couldn't find much info on the tri-x 290 vs the 290x from Nvidia.

I'm basically looking for the best value high performance card. So basically this generations equivalent of the 6970 or closest. Doesn't have to be ati....

teh_pwn

Hey guys, I tried googling but I couldn't find much info on the tri-x 290 vs the 290x from Nvidia.

I'm basically looking for the best value high performance card. So basically this generations equivalent of the 6970 or closest. Doesn't have to be ati....

There isn't value in the GPU market right now. I'm mean you're looking at the right card, but it's artificially $200-300 more expensive than it should be because of bitcoin mining.

I think you mean GTX 780 Ti from Nvidia.

Water

And I thought I should cut down on the 250GB to 120GB. =/ Is it a lot faster at loading up software and windows?
The read speeds are almost the same, so you shouldn't notice much of a difference in loading software. The bigger problem is simple lack of space. It's a good idea to keep a minimum of about 20% free space on the 840 Evo, and if you do that, the 120GB disk will have less than 100GB usable space. That's not much with a modern day OS and PC games. If you fill the disk up, it slows down.

The 250GB model is something like 50-90% faster on writes; that's going to be quite noticeable on tasks that involve writing to disk. The 250GB also costs slightly less per GB than the 120GB model. You wouldn't be wrong to buy the 120GB, but I think the 250GB is just a better deal if you can afford it.

I'm looking at getting a new GPU myself. Unfortunately, it's a bad time to go to AMD. They have great cards, but because of the litecoin/bitcoin/dogecoin miners, their cost has skyrocketed above the point where I feel their performance value is.

For the cost, it's better to go with Nvidia right now. I'm personally looking towards their 780 and 780 ti's. The 780 ti's are generally around $700 which is around where 290x's are lately, but the 780 ti's outperform the 290x's even with Mantle enabled in BF4. If the AMD cards were at their original MSRP (~$500 ish) then it would definitely be a different story.

Serandur

If there's any good from this, I hope that AMD is getting some of this cash. They're hurting bad as a company. I suspect they'll get bought out by someone like ARM holdings or IBM. Maybe even merge with an FPGA company as they're getting big.

Given it's retailers and not even AMD raising the prices, I wonder if AMD gets any additional profit from this at all... other than of course pretty much selling every GPU they push out. In the long run, I fear this may just be detrimental to AMD as instead of getting a surge in gaming GPU marketshare due to value, their cards are now completely unfeasible in a gaming machine with any further progress in pricing value they attempt to make in the market hampered because cryptocurrency just doesn't seem to die and seems plausible to ruin any consumer GPU line capable of good hash rates in whatever the latest popular altcoin is.

Nvidia are already in a dominant position in both marketshare and brand popularity and coin miners are not exactly a stable consumer base. AMD cannot bring in competitive pressure in pricing when retailers will inflate the prices, nor in marketshare when their cards are now unreasonably expensive and/or out of stock, and subsequently they cannot bring competitive pressure for adopted features (like Mantle) in an environment where they further lose brand recognition and leverage in the gaming GPU market. That's just me being cynical and expecting the worst, but I hope crytocurrency mining dies a swift, merciless, and permanent death... at least with consumer or rather even just gaming parts.

GetemMa

Just ordered a new build and the parts are already filtering in.

Gigabyte GA - AMD 990FX Motherboard
AMD FX-9370 8 Core CPU@4.4 GHz w/ 8MB L3 Cache
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/ 4GB
16 GB RAM [8 GB x2] DDR3 - 1866
120 GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
2 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM w/ 64 MB Cache
850 Watt - 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified PSU
2 120mm Silent Fans (Push/Pull Air Flow setup)

I have erection right now and I won't apologize for it.

I'd like to thank kharma54, because that build was great. I finally bought the rest of the parts. I never built my own rig before so this was my first, and it worked perfectly on my first try. I need a new keyboard because the one I'm using right now has a broken spacebar. I'm "ctrl+v"ing every space. I'll post some pics later, though I don't have much cable management, it runs cool and no problems so far.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just ordered a new build and the parts are already filtering in.

Gigabyte GA - AMD 990FX Motherboard
AMD FX-9370 8 Core CPU@4.4 GHz w/ 8MB L3 Cache
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/ 4GB
16 GB RAM [8 GB x2] DDR3 - 1866
120 GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
2 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM w/ 64 MB Cache
850 Watt - 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified PSU
2 120mm Silent Fans (Push/Pull Air Flow setup)

I have erection right now and I won't apologize for it.

Why did you go with the FX-9370?

Yet another total noob question here.

I'm getting an Intel NUC mainly for emulation, stuff from GoG, some less intensive indie stuff on Steam. I'd like to try out some HTPC stuff like XMBC but I'm not counting on that being a primary use. I typically just stream media - I don't have a hard drive full of movies or TV shows.

My question is - how large of an SSD should I get to hold my OS and a great selection of ROMs, emus and a front end? I am totally new to emulation.

Why did you go with the FX-9370?

My guess would be lower price point than say a 4770k i7 or an FX-9590 and still allowing some OC breathing room. Single Core performance will still suffer a bit comparably, but if I were on a tight budget I'd consider the 9370. Though, I don't know how hot the thing will run to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom