• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped a buddy put together his PC this weekend and everything was working fine the first night. We got the OS installed and the first round of windows updates without any issues. He then went to update the NVIDIA driver and the PC shut down and hasn't turned back on since. It's like a seconds worth of power hits the PC and it just shuts down right away.

I don't see how NVIDIA drivers could have anything to do with this, but I'm wondering if anyone on GAF has any ideas/tips to help get his beastly machine back up and running. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pachimari

1) why not use a mobile device and the plex app?

2) why not windows 8?

3) why not zoidberg?

1) It's just nice if me and my now gf can look around our movie library on the tv together. Also when we have friends over.

2) Somehow I had a hard time getting used to Windows 8 and I weren't too fond of all the apps. And all of my web design / database stuff is done in Windows 7 on my school laptop. :)

3) What is that? Edit: Oh, Futurama.

You can pay for the postage.

Home Premium.

8 is better mind.
I'll go with Home Premium then, thank you. :)

jonno394

I helped a buddy put together his PC this weekend and everything was working fine the first night. We got the OS installed and the first round of windows updates without any issues. He then went to update the NVIDIA driver and the PC shut down and hasn't turned back on since. It's like a seconds worth of power hits the PC and it just shuts down right away.

I don't see how NVIDIA drivers could have anything to do with this, but I'm wondering if anyone on GAF has any ideas/tips to help get his beastly machine back up and running. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm still a relative noob at all this but they always say remove the component and tes without it, to see if it's an issue relating to that specific hardware, so first things first, remove the video card and connect the monitor via the video output on the motherboard. If somehow that means you can get the PC running, then it is an issue with the drivers/video card, so it'd be a case of rolling back/uninstalling the drivers for the videocard and trying again.

I'd also imagine it could be something to do with the power supply, what PSU is he using, what graphics card is it?

mkenyon

Banned
Check out Kaveri overclocked:

crysis-3-frametimes2.png

metro-last-light-frametimes2.png

tomb-raider-720p-frametimes.png

luxmark-cpu.png

photoshop-tilt-shift1.png

Here's hoping for an Athlon variant without the GPU on die. Even then, that's very playable at 720p for a crazy budget system that could fit in a tiny HTPC chassis.

Branson

Ah tax time. The part of the year where I don't know if I want to upgrade my PC or just save my money. There's always something new on the horizon and I never want to spend enough to get the best of the best. The main thing is my video card and over clocking my 2500k. The 780 looks fine price wise but the Ti exists and it would bug me not to get that but at $750 that's more than half of my return gone. I wish the 880s were coming sooner than expected. I want to upgrade my 580

Epix

Just upgraded from a 5+ year build (Q6600, GTX 260, no SDD) to a i7-4770k, GTX 780, and a 256 GB SSD. Out for delivery today. Excited.

I'm still a relative noob at all this but they always say remove the component and tes without it, to see if it's an issue relating to that specific hardware, so first things first, remove the video card and connect the monitor via the video output on the motherboard. If somehow that means you can get the PC running, then it is an issue with the drivers/video card, so it'd be a case of rolling back/uninstalling the drivers for the videocard and trying again.

I'd also imagine it could be something to do with the power supply, what PSU is he using, what graphics card is it?

That was the first thing we tried (removing GPU) and it still won't start.

It's an antec 850W gold 80+ rated PSU and perhaps that's went bad already. I will have him try a different PSU and post the results as I think that's what it is as well. Thanks for the reply.

Pachimari

You'll be better off with 8, trust us! Don't let the blind internet hate sway you!

You guys get me into such a dilemma now haha. I really don't know if I'll go 7 or 8 at this point but I have some weeks to think about it. For the matter, I haven't tried 8.1.

Another thing I'm more interested in at this point is, if I need a sound card, if I am running my movies through Plex to my AV receiver (and HDTV) which are connected to a 5.1 surround sound set.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, I never knew this existed! I've been after something like this for ages, my house is super dusty and I've got to clean my laptop fans out pretty regularly. Do you know if there is a cheaper version? It's £90 (~$147) on Amazon.co.uk atm :(

That is the cheapest one I found and 10 dollars less than what seems like an identical one on Amazon as well.

I gave the GPU OC a go and didn't get much further with the core but the memory got me another 250mhz. Any tips for getting more out of the core would be appreciated. Temp target is 95C since you can't see that on the caps. Will cross post this in the benchmark thread.

Hey guys. I'm running a nice rig but to max out ff14 it says I need a better video card.

I'm currently using a 2500k and a 560ti with two gigs of memory.. I think.

But what's the best bang for the buck I could get? 660ti?

I want to upgrade but I don't want buy something that's unnecessary. I'm pretty much fine with a card that's good enough.

kharma45

NoRéN;100298750 said:
that first boot. so good!

I rebooted a few times I was so amazed.

Hey guys. I'm running a nice rig but to max out ff14 it says I need a better video card.

I'm currently using a 2500k and a 560ti with two gigs of memory.. I think.

But what's the best bang for the buck I could get? 660ti?

I want to upgrade but I don't want buy something that's unnecessary. I'm pretty much fine with a card that's good enough.

Look to the 760.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You guys get me into such a dilemma now haha. I really don't know if I'll go 7 or 8 at this point but I have some weeks to think about it. For the matter, I haven't tried 8.1.

Another thing I'm more interested in at this point is, if I need a sound card, if I am running my movies through Plex to my AV receiver (and HDTV) which are connected to a 5.1 surround sound set.

8.1 made a lot of improvements that I really like. It was jarring at first, but I have grown to love it.
  • You no longer have to deal with the Metro UI if you don't want to. (Only forced on you in 2-3 places)
  • It's possible to boot straight to desktop now instead of the start screen.
  • You can set up the start screen to just show your applications in a similar fashion to the start menu folders. This way you don't have to look at the stupid Metro tiles.

The boot times are crazy fast compared to 7 as well. Also 8's task manager is far superior to 7's. You can easily check which programs are loading on startup as well and choose which ones you want to leave enabled and disable ones you don't.
Grab a key from here.

Edit: Just checked and my full boot time is just 14 seconds from off to desktop with just an HDD.

garath

8.1 made a lot of improvements that I really like. It was jarring at first, but I have grown to love it.
  • You no longer have to deal with the Metro UI if you don't want to. (Only forced on you in 2-3 places)
  • It's possible to boot straight to desktop now instead of the start screen.
  • You can set up the start screen to just show your applications in a similar fashion to the start menu folders. This way you don't have to look at the stupid Metro tiles.

The boot times are crazy fast compared to 7 as well. Also 8's task manager is far superior to 7's. You can easily check which programs are loading on startup as well and choose which ones you want to leave enabled and disable ones you don't.
Grab a key from here.

Edit: Just checked and my full boot time is just 14 seconds from off to desktop with just an HDD.

Wow. I wonder how that guy gets retail keys for $25. Must be through a company.

mkenyon

Banned
Nice, How are they? I plan on getting one and going to use an full size atx board, Anything I should look out for? This is basically going to be a full fledged gaming/HTPC build.
They're solid. The only thing you really have to look out for is CPU cooler clearance.

FWIW, unless you want two video cards, there isn't a significant reason to go with an ATX board/build over an ITX system. Something to consider since you'll be putting this in a living room.

mr2xxx

Banned
Nice, How are they? I plan on getting one and going to use an full size atx board, Anything I should look out for? This is basically going to be a full fledged gaming/HTPC build.

Great case but you can't use a Blu-ray/DVD drive with a full size ATX board.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Ocho

My PC used to shut down like that. My PSU was faulty.

Bloodsent

Grab a key from here.

You know if this guy on Reddit is still offering up keys? Looks like his username is gone now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What are your temps like in the 500r with that style of cooler?

gputempsrbspy.png

This is with the OC and running benchmarks for an hour.

Of note, the card is already factory overclocked a good amount and then I added 30 to the core and 225mhz to the memory.

I also want to clarify that my fan profile could be even more aggressive and the GPU's reached those temps without even utilizing the full fan strength. I could have made the profile go to 100 at around 70C so it's not the most aggressive profile.

EDIT 3 - Fans are really quiet even at 80%.

They're solid. The only thing you really have to look out for is CPU cooler clearance.

FWIW, unless you want two video cards, there isn't a significant reason to go with an ATX board/build over an ITX system. Something to consider since you'll be putting this in a living room.

Ok... I already have an i5-3570k, so I'll have to get an 1155 board. Any recommendations? Also, the gpu I plan to buy is a gtx 780.

mkenyon

Banned
Thoughts on refurbished GPU's?

I'm looking at EVGA's B-stock (refurbed), and their prices for 780 Ti's and 780 Ti Classifieds are pretty darn good. $620 and $640, respectively.

I'm on the fence, but for anyone who's considering, here's a link: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8
I'd honestly feel more comfortable buying a used part that you know works, as then there's no possible chance of having to send it in for RMA.

But, I would feel pretty good about that too. Worst case scenario, EVGA replaces it.
Ok... I already have an i5-3570k, so I'll have to get an 1155 board. Any recommendations? Also, the gpu I plan to buy is a gtx 780.
ATX or ITX?

I'd honestly feel more comfortable buying a used part that you know works, as then there's no possible chance of having to send it in for RMA.

But, I would feel pretty good about that too. Worst case scenario, EVGA replaces it.

ATX or ITX?

You were saying I should look at a itx. I already was looking at the asrock z77 extreme4 board which is an atx board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom