• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

How much better will the i5-4690k be than my Q9400? My PC is starting to have problems, and given that it's almost 6 years old, I think it's time for an upgrade. But part of me wants to wait to see what Skylake brings. I mainly play lower requirement games like League of Legends and Counterstrike: GO so there's no immediacy, but if it's a sufficiently large jump I'll go ahead and do a new build.

It'd be a significant jump in CPU bound games, and there is decent OC potential with them too.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hey PCGaf, I'm about to build a small form factor pc for my brother who up until now has been using an incredibly old pc that is incapable of running Diablo 3. He has given me a budget of $700 and I'm trying to get it really close, but would ideally like to keep it as cheap as possible. My real issue is wanting to give him SSD performance as well as the R9 270x all in an Intel build. Please let me know if you see anywhere I can shave off some money without compromising too much performance! Thanks a ton!

This is what I've chosen thus far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $735.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-18 21:55 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ForrestCrump/saved/nY9nTW

Your Current Specs: Old ass pc, can't run Diablo 3, barely runs Starcraft 2
Budget: $700 USA
Main Use: Light Gaming, Casual Photo Editing, Video Playback
Monitor Resolution: 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: He will most likely play Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and the like, but I could see him trying some new games out with the build. 30fps will be just fine for him.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Absolutely not
When will you build?: Soon, but not pressed for time
Will you be overclocking? No

Out of curiosity, but do scalpers even bother with video cards?

I'd imagine the people in this market are more price-conscious than most.

I can't imagine sales being so high for, say, the GTX 970 at $450 when it defeats the entire purpose of why people are buying it.

Nah not really. Obviously second hand market prices will go up but not hugely. Closest to that was when bitcoin mining blew up last year. AMD prices in US were astronomical.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmmm, thanks. Don't you need a dvd drive to even install the OS though? Been like 5 years since I built a computer, so don't know if this has changed.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v9LnNG

Yep, ~$1,500 and then about $1,700+ after tax & shipping, then another $300-400 bucks for OS, Monitor, headphone & kb/mouse/controllers.

So let's switch this around. Say I was in a rush and dumb and already bought some of the parts and am committed partially outside of the GPU to this build. If I decide to keep this build for myself as a new computer for the next 4-5 years and get them something more reasonable (i5, 500V power, 8gb ram, 128 SSD, etc)...should I go for a 980 over a 970 considering everything else in the rig? Or should I stick with the 970 for a couple of years, then sell it and get another $350 card? I will never game over 1080p myself (since I play on a tv-out to a 1080p tv), but I do like 60fps and I do like running things maxed with like 4x AA.
Your link is fine, you can go i5 if you want and drop down to the SB SLI mobo. 970 more than enough.

Jimrpg

I just noticed in the OP, the Excellent and above builds have 16GB Ram...

Will there be a noticeable difference with the current crop of games (and next year's games) if I have 8GB? I'm building a system but I want to keep costs down. I'd rather get the Ram next year if I can hold off.

Also is the 1600Mhz v 1866Mhz much different in everyday use and gaming? It's another $30 for me.

I'm going with an i5 4690k and GTX970 so I don't really want a ram bottleneck...

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, to follow up on my previous posts today, I got my friend to buy my 4 year old build for $500 and I'm gonna build this new one in my link for myself. I was planning on upgrading in another year or two, but eh, I'm fine upgrading now. I guess I'll stop buying PS4 versions of multi-platforms and go back to getting PC again.

Now one question I have is my friend wants an SSD and I'm wondering if SSD's work on any old computer or if I'd need to change my motherboard?

This is my current PC:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5
i7 920 @ 2.67ghz w/Cooler Master Heatsink
6gb DDR3 ram
GTX 580
750W Power Supply
1 TB Sata drive
2 TB Sata drive

Also I'm guessing if I change my motherboard, I have to change the CPU & Heatsink as well since the CPU is glued on. So basically if this computer can't add-on an SSD, might as well build a new computer?

Thanks,

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Is that Intel I3 dual core REALLY better than an AMD 8320? Are there any reliable benches out there of them in games versus eachother?

I need to build a cheap PC for a friend and I feel really weary buying a dual core in this age.

edit: For this scenario, overclocking is out of the question.

Ok, to follow up on my previous posts today, I got my friend to buy my 4 year old build for $500 and I'm gonna build this new one in my link for myself. I was planning on upgrading in another year or two, but eh, I'm fine upgrading now. I guess I'll stop buying PS4 versions of multi-platforms and go back to getting PC again.

Now one question I have is my friend wants an SSD and I'm wondering if SSD's work on any old computer or if I'd need to change my motherboard?

This is my current PC:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5
i7 920 @ 2.67ghz w/Cooler Master Heatsink
6gb DDR3 ram
GTX 580
750W Power Supply
1 TB Sata drive
2 TB Sata drive

Also I'm guessing if I change my motherboard, I have to change the CPU & Heatsink as well since the CPU is glued on. So basically if this computer can't add-on an SSD, might as well build a new computer?

Thanks,

You can add an SSD.

Is that Intel I3 dual core REALLY better than an AMD 8320? Are there any reliable benches out there of them in games versus eachother?

I need to build a cheap PC for a friend and I feel really weary buying a dual core in this age.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_5.html#sect0
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/11/14/intel-core-i3-4130-haswell-review/5

And since the 4130 isn't far behind the 4330, you could check http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1192 or any 4330 review.

ekgrey

IPC really does matter more than cores for gaming. hence why the anniversary Pentium is the hot shit (when overclocked.)

Kevyt

Worth waiting for Skylake or do you think I should grab Broadwell when it comes out?

When it comes to PC's, as someone once said, waiting for the next best thing is not necessarily a good strategy since you'll always be waiting because there's always something better coming. Go with what will really give you the performance upgrade you feel is necessary for the type of games/programs that you use.

appaws

Banned
Before I pull the trigger on a Mini-ITX case, I would like to know what's the best alternative for a small case that can fit dual GPU's. Since I travel a lot I need a sturdy but a not too big case. My Cooler Master Storm Sniper got damaged by DHL, HDD/SSD cages are all broken.

You can't do multiple graphics cards on miniITX, you need to at least go microATX for that. It also depends a lot on how much you want to spend on a case...what's your budget?

I'm looking at picking up the Asrock Z97 extreme6 to go with my 4790K processor, mostly for the eSATA port (I have an old external with USB 2.0 and eSATA which I'm fond of). I know I'm stupid for buying this when I have little interest in overclocking right now but it seems like a fairly good board for the price. Any thoughts?

I'll be putting a 7870 and Xonar DG in it, and potentially a PCI WiFi card also.

Yes, according to Techreport the Z97 Extreme6 is a very good card for the price:
http://techreport.com/review/27181/asrock-z97-extreme6-motherboard-reviewed

PFD

I'm thinking of upgrading from my core2quad. Is the i7 devil's canyon getting updated any time soon? When can we expect to see something faster?

appaws

Banned

Yes. AMD is lagging far behind Intel in everything gaming related. Their "best" CPUs of now lag behind 3 year old Intel parts currently. There is no price point at which AMD is a valid choice for a gaming build over a similarly priced Intel part.

If I had to recommend parts to make your friend a cheap but good gaming build, I would suggest going with a Pentium Anniversary edition in a Z97 motherboard. A moderately priced CPU cooler like a CM 212 and an easy OC. That chip OCs like a beast. I believe some current information about overclocking today and how easy it is would help you or your friend get over any fear you may have about it. A few keystrokes in the bios=big free performance gain.

This also leaved an awesome upgrade path, because if you have Z97/1150....you can move up to a Haswell/Broadwell i5 or i7 down the road.

Hey PCGaf, I'm about to build a small form factor pc for my brother who up until now has been using an incredibly old pc that is incapable of running Diablo 3. He has given me a budget of $700 and I'm trying to get it really close, but would ideally like to keep it as cheap as possible. My real issue is wanting to give him SSD performance as well as the R9 270x all in an Intel build. Please let me know if you see anywhere I can shave off some money without compromising too much performance! Thanks a ton!

This is what I've chosen thus far.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $735.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-18 21:55 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ForrestCrump/saved/nY9nTW

Your Current Specs: Old ass pc, can't run Diablo 3, barely runs Starcraft 2
Budget: $700 USA
Main Use: Light Gaming, Casual Photo Editing, Video Playback
Monitor Resolution: 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: He will most likely play Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and the like, but I could see him trying some new games out with the build. 30fps will be just fine for him.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Absolutely not
When will you build?: Soon, but not pressed for time
Will you be overclocking? No

I would recommend the same thing to you that I did to the person above. A build like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YwGDmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YwGDmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $720.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 00:39 EDT-0400

In that small case you need to go with an AIO water cooler instead of a big air cooler. I also highly recommend a fully modular power supply. And double-checking to see how long of GPUs will fit in there...It seems to hold a pretty long GPU, listed at 343mm....

Kevyt

I would go with the 280x because of the Bundled games, the extra one gig of VRAM, and better performance than the 760. In that price range, you also have the r9 285 and the MSI GTX 770 which comes close in performance to the 280x, but I think the extra gig of VRAM gives the 280x the advantage for titles like Shadow of Mordor.

Pollux

Could this play FF. XIV, EU IV, Rome Total War 2, and most other games on high?

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 285 2GB TurboDuo Video Card
Case Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

mdsfx

What are the thermal limits of the 970 GPU? I've searched but can't find this info.

Im running the asus strix and was occasionally hitting 80°C with alien isolation, although averaging about 70°C. Just want to know how to set the curve for my fan settings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corsair HX520 is buckling under GTX 970 full load it seems (more details here post #5976 and later).

I need a new PSU for this build. Something that will be VERY stable and future proof (5+ years). Dual GTX 970 at some point, maybe even some heavy CPU & GPU OC if I ever go on high resolutions and/or 144Hz, etc.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
Gigabyte GV-N970-G1 GAMING-4GD
Corsair HX520
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Antec P183

Is Coolermaster V850 the best choice in the 750-850W range?
There's an EVGA 750W (NOT the G2) on super sale right now, not sure if there's anything funky with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438027

Also you sure it's the PSU having trouble? It is pretty old so the caps are aging, but you could try a Kill-A-Watt and see how much you are drawing (I'd like to know).

Otherwise yeah V850 is damn solid. You could go EVGA if you want the 10 YR warranty.
Ordered a processor from a website. Description said retail packaging. Site didn't look shady at all. But when my processor arrived the factory seal was broken. Seems it left the retailer this way as packaging wasn't damaged. My concern is that the warranty won't be valid. I've tried using Intel's warranty checker and I get the following result:

FPO Number : #########
ATPO Number : ###

The product number(s) you entered cannot be located in our records. Please try again or contact us.

I've contacted the retailer for explanation, I'm not overly fussy on stuff like this because I did make a slight saving. Any advice? (intel's live chat is currently at maximum capacity)
When I did an RMA I think I sent a chip back without the original retail box or one that had a different model on it. I don't think they care only date of manf.? Might be wrong here.
i think this makes a lot of sense. with so many (think Haz, mkenyon and LilJoka all?) saying that they believe mATX should be standard, i've wondered why that wasn't the default recommended config. when i built i went mATX with the Air 240 and if i hadn't decided since that tinkering is hella fun, i'd be entirely satisfied with that. as is though, i think i may end up with a hobby apart from just gaming...

edit: shit, sorry, i've been really bad about double posts recently.
I think it's important to make sure people know what they are giving up if they go mATX and that's pretty much all there is to do.
Could this play FF. XIV, EU IV, Rome Total War 2, and most other games on high?

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 285 2GB TurboDuo Video Card
Case Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Yup
What are the thermal limits of the 970 GPU? I've searched but can't find this info.

Im running the asus strix and was occasionally hitting 80°C with alien isolation, although averaging about 70°C. Just want to know how to set the curve for my fan settings.
IDK But you should be able to keep it under 70C without much noise. That's my personal limit :)

maneil99

Nvidia's default card's target 80c. Anywhere below 80c is better then even what Nvidia aims for at stock.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yes. AMD is lagging far behind Intel in everything gaming related. Their "best" CPUs of now lag behind 3 year old Intel parts currently. There is no price point at which AMD is a valid choice for a gaming build over a similarly priced Intel part.

If I had to recommend parts to make your friend a cheap but good gaming build, I would suggest going with a Pentium Anniversary edition in a Z97 motherboard. A moderately priced CPU cooler like a CM 212 and an easy OC. That chip OCs like a beast. I believe some current information about overclocking today and how easy it is would help you or your friend get over any fear you may have about it. A few keystrokes in the bios=big free performance gain.

This also leaved an awesome upgrade path, because if you have Z97/1150....you can move up to a Haswell/Broadwell i5 or i7 down the road.

I would recommend the same thing to you that I did to the person above. A build like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YwGDmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YwGDmG/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $720.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 00:39 EDT-0400

In that small case you need to go with an AIO water cooler instead of a big air cooler. I also highly recommend a fully modular power supply. And double-checking to see how long of GPUs will fit in there...It seems to hold a pretty long GPU, listed at 343mm....

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I've never built a water cooled unit before and I'm not sure that is something I would like do as a first time build for someone else, though I'm confident it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Is using a stock air cooler in a mini ITX case that big of an issue? Is it a heat issue or just a clearance issue?

Is there any way to find out what the system requirements for upcoming games will be? Because all I really want to play is Batman: Arkham Knight, and I'm trying to decide if it would be better to build a $600-700 PC (because that's how much I have) or just get a PS4. But I have no idea how powerful of a PC I'll need to play that game.

appaws

Banned
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I've never built a water cooled unit before and I'm not sure that is something I would like do as a first time build for someone else, though I'm confident it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Is using a stock air cooler in a mini ITX case that big of an issue? Is it a heat issue or just a clearance issue?

I'm not suggesting that you build anything. That is an AIO (all-in-one) cooler. You just put it in there, it's one unit. There is no filling it or anything. (Google it or look on Youtube)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

I just suggested that because of space/clearance concerns and because air coolers are ugly.. Sure you could use an air cooler no problem as long as you make sure it fits.

Not the stock air cooler though. You have to have aftermarket cooling in order to OC that puppy. That is the secret sauce that makes the anniversary Pentium such a steal at a low price....2 Haswell cores that you can overclock the bejeezus out of with pretty basic cooling, and at a low cost. A few changes in the bios is all it takes for a big performance boost.

RGM79

The Corsair H60 is a closed loop cooler, it's entirely self-contained with no assembly or work required beyond attaching it to the motherboard and a fan mount in a case. You won't need to mess around with coolant, hoses, or pumps. It's more or less the same amount of work as installing an air cooled heatsink.

The size of a heatsink that a case can accommodate depends on the design of the case. For the stock air cooler that comes with the processor, it's not a clearance issue. It's small and compact, nearly every mini ITX case will accommodate it. The stock heatsink isn't bad, it's just that it's just above the line for acceptable cooling. However, it's really only suitable if the processor is running at stock speeds, if the processor gets very hot, the fan can get pretty loud. For overclocking, it is highly recommended and pretty much required to get a better cooler.

forrest

formerly nacire
I'm not suggesting that you build anything. That is an AIO (all-in-one) cooler. You just put it in there, it's one unit. There is no filling it or anything. (Google it or look on Youtube)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

I just suggested that because of space/clearance concerns and because air coolers are ugly.. Sure you could use an air cooler no problem as long as you make sure it fits.

Not the stock air cooler though. You have to have aftermarket cooling in order to OC that puppy. That is the secret sauce that makes the anniversary Pentium such a steal at a low price....2 Haswell cores that you can overclock the bejeezus out of with pretty basic cooling, and at a low cost. A few changes in the bios is all it takes for a big performance boost.

The Corsair H60 is a closed loop cooler, it's entirely self-contained with no assembly or work required beyond attaching it to the motherboard and a fan mount in a case. You won't need to mess around with coolant, hoses, or pumps. It's more or less the same amount of work as installing an air cooled heatsink.

The size of a heatsink that a case can accommodate depends on the design of the case. For the stock air cooler that comes with the processor, it's not a clearance issue. It's small and compact, nearly every mini ITX case will accommodate it. The stock heatsink isn't bad, it's just that it's just above the line for acceptable cooling. However, it's really only suitable if the processor is running at stock speeds, if the processor gets very hot, the fan can get pretty loud. For overclocking, it is highly recommended and pretty much required to get a better cooler.

Hmm that cooler sounds incredibly awesome. As far as OC'ing the build, I really hadn't planned on it. It's for my brother and honestly every build that I've done in the past has supposedly been great for OC'ing and yet I've never had any luck whatsoever. That includes manually changing settings myself as well as using "one click overclock" applications.

I mean, I'm not against giving overclocking another shot, but I'll need some serious fundamental layman's intro to overclocking, etc. etc. as my last attempts were quite a few years ago.

Is there any way to find out what the system requirements for upcoming games will be? Because all I really want to play is Batman: Arkham Knight, and I'm trying to decide if it would be better to build a $600-700 PC (because that's how much I have) or just get a PS4. But I have no idea how powerful of a PC I'll need to play that game.

I wouldn't feel comfortable building a $600 PC for upcoming AAAs. The GPU I would recommend is basically half that price.

RGM79

Hmm that cooler sounds incredibly awesome. As far as OC'ing the build, I really hadn't planned on it. It's for my brother and honestly every build that I've done in the past has supposedly been great for OC'ing and yet I've never had any luck whatsoever. That includes manually changing settings myself as well as using "one click overclock" applications.

I mean, I'm not against giving overclocking another shot, but I'll need some serious fundamental layman's intro to overclocking, etc. etc. as my last attempts were quite a few years ago.

These videos are geared toward Asus motherboards, but the settings and tips apply to all motherboards. Just a small warning, sometimes the same features go by different names or are arranged differently by each motherboard manufacturer (different UI), but it shouldn't be too difficult.

General Haswell overclocking guide, setting by setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

Specific overclocking guide for the G3258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfXruwe8w4

I wouldn't feel comfortable building a $600 PC for upcoming AAAs. The GPU I would recommend is basically half that price.

So you think I should just get a PS4 instead?

What if I could maybe go up to $800?

I played around with the PCPartPicker website and came up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CNcv23

Let's say I'm perfectly content with running my games at 720p and everything on medium. Would this be at all a competent machine?

forrest

formerly nacire
These videos are geared toward Asus motherboards, but the settings and tips apply to all motherboards. Just a small warning, sometimes the same features go by different names or are arranged differently by each motherboard manufacturer (different UI), but it shouldn't be too difficult.

General Haswell overclocking guide, setting by setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

Specific overclocking guide for the G3258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfXruwe8w4

Awesome, thanks for the input!

LordAlu

So you think I should just get a PS4 instead?

What if I could maybe go up to $800?

I played around with the PCPartPicker website and came up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CNcv23

Let's say I'm perfectly content with running my games at 720p and everything on medium. Would this be at all a competent machine?
I'd go for this and nicely overclock the CPU up to 4-4.2GHz. Then when you want to you can always upgrade the CPU later to a K i5 or i7 (power supply is a little overkill but for $45 why not?).

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $738.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 06:08 EDT-0400

^^ to that I would add that you should be able find keys for windows 8.1 on ebay for much cheaper.

edit: you can chose to save on the SSD if you want, but only because it is not vital, even though it is a good thing to have. I would put those $72 it somewhere else if I had to choose.

LordAlu

Is it really necessary to have both a Solid State drive and a HDD? Couldn't I settle for just one or the other?
Sure - in that case go for the SSD.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $725.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 06:43 EDT-0400

Martal

Neo Member
Hey guys, was wondering if you could give me some quick help. I'm digging up my old PC. Its still pretty capable, but it hasn't been used in months. The reason behind that is that I didn't have any room to set it up. Now I do, so I'll spruce it up with a new monitor and an SSD.
Im good on the SSD but I know nothing about monitors. Cheap is the keyword here, but still wanted to show you one and see what you thought :

http://www.euronics.ee/t/58886/monitorid/22-full-hd-led-lcd-ips-monitor-lg/22mp55hq-p

It has a 5 ms "reaction time" , is that gonna be an issue?

Hey guys, was wondering if you could give me some quick help. I'm digging up my old PC. Its still pretty capable, but it hasn't been used in months. The reason behind that is that I didn't have any room to set it up. Now I do, so I'll spruce it up with a new monitor and an SSD.
Im good on the SSD but I know nothing about monitors. Cheap is the keyword here, but still wanted to show you one and see what you thought :

http://www.euronics.ee/t/58886/monitorid/22-full-hd-led-lcd-ips-monitor-lg/22mp55hq-p

IPS displays are great for graphic design because they have better color, but yes, they have a little bit more imput lag than TN panels. But if you are going for cheap and you are not doing photography,etc, there should be something else you can find cheaper than a LG IPS, .

Martal

Neo Member
IPS displays are great for graphic design because they have better color, but yes, they have a little bit more imput lag than TN panels. But if you are going for cheap and you are not doing photography,etc, there should be something else you can find cheaper than a LG IPS, .

Bizarrely, thats literally the cheapest one I've found. Can I get your 2 cents on this one as well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJS6QC6/

2San

I have nothing to say on that particular screen, since I know nothing about it. At 60Hz I would always choose colors over response time. If you are going to live in the past might as well do it prettily.

There's an EVGA 750W (NOT the G2) on super sale right now, not sure if there's anything funky with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438027
I'm not in the USA so Newegg is not an option. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also you sure it's the PSU having trouble? It is pretty old so the caps are aging, but you could try a Kill-A-Watt and see how much you are drawing (I'd like to know).
As I said in the 970 thread I'm sure it's the PSU (almost pressed my ear fully on the PSU).
As far as Kill-A-Watt goes, again, don't have it here in Croatia.

Otherwise yeah V850 is damn solid. You could go EVGA if you want the 10 YR warranty.
After thoroughly searching the available PSUs here, I'll go for Coolermaster.
It has great reviews, and its future proof enough for me. :)
EVGA isn't available here, and I don't want to order that online from the EU (eg. Germany), etc.
Thanks!

How does scaling on a 4K monitor work? Let's said I can't quite hit a steady 30 in a particular game, can you drop the resolution a bit or will it look like complete shit? Currently only have a single 780Ti and I'm waiting for the 8GB 980s to go SLI.

How about Bluetooth for a gamepad? Will I have to get a USB dongle, or is there something I can install internally? I can't find anything on this PC Part Picker site.

Thanks for all the help, by the way.

xBladeM6x

How about Bluetooth for a gamepad? Will I have to get a USB dongle, or is there something I can install internally? I can't find anything on this PC Part Picker site.

Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller + Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. Done. (I'm assuming you don't have a controller yet)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys I was wondering if when sticking the H60 cooler onto the cpu chip is causing the thermal paste to move from the centre if it slides a little when trying to put the screws in? I have tried this three times with the X, pea size, and card spread and this keeps happening.

WP_20141019_001_zps7cbf8c69.jpg

That was the pea trick above.

This is at 1.2 Volts for Haswell at 45. It's currently 45 idle and around 70 gaming.

You reckon I should try the smiley trick if I risk having the cooler sliding?

Is there a way for me to not have to reinstall windows when I build a new PC? I am planning to use my current SSD with the new build, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to just put the SSD in the new one and have it boot correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom