• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

100% agree where you're coming from. Been there myself. It's how my Pentium build turned into an i5 :lol

Don't discount used cards too. This is a good value 660 Ti, the 3GB model. Not sure if the warranty is transferable though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KFA2-Nvid...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4adda85c26

Edit - Seems warranty isn't transferable, shame http://www.kfa2.com/warranty.shtml

They're a lesser brand so can't charge a premium like others.

Although warranties in UK are not usually transferable, as long as you have the invoice they will sort it out.

As KFA say
Warranty coverage requires proof of purchase documentation evidencing the date of purchase (sales receipt or invoice), place of purchase, purchase price, item number or ID, and original packaging and accessories.

So even if you arent the original owner, but the person gives you these details, then it should be fine, since the company wont ask to prove the details are yours, they will onyl validate the information you provide.

If buying from ebay, just ask if the seller can provide that first.

kharma45

Good point, if you've the original receipt/invoice they'd sort you out. KFA2 (rather GALAX now) apparently have a pretty good RMA service, and it's UK based too.

yatesl

Just noticed the Amazon listing states 270X, but the image (and price) suggest it's a 270.

I'll send him the link, cheers for the help. He's looking at it before Christmas, so always time for a future bargain.

Zeth

What brand 970? MSI and Asus have a silent feature where they keep the fans off until the card breaks 60c. It'll ramp up as the card heats up and keep it under 80.

MSI - thank you! That indeed makes sense. I think my unfamiliarity with centigrade makes me more uncomfortable than I need to be about my gpu temps sometimes.

Tabasco

Story about my gaming mice shopping:

Ordered an FK1 and not sure if I liked it. About a week later I ordered a G402.

I can say that I like the G402 better, but for some reason I have that feeling like it's too much for what I need to use a gaming mouse for. That sniper button on it feels out of place since I'm not used to it. I don't even know if I would ever find a proper use for it, but while it's there it just feels weird on my thumb.

Also the price tag makes me not want to keep either of these two mice. I don't think I can get used to my thumb having a grip on that sniper button all the time. Also the placement of the back/forward buttons is awkward.

garath

MSI - thank you! That indeed makes sense. I think my unfamiliarity with centigrade makes me more uncomfortable than I need to be about my gpu temps sometimes.

Awesome. I have an ASUS. The card is perfectly happy under 80c. Instead of tinkering with it, I left my fan default as well. When I'm playing low impact games it never kicks on at all Lol.

SugarDave

Okay, I think I'm ready to start ordering my parts tomorrow. This build is mostly the same as one I've posted in the past but I thought I'd ask for some input before I take the plunge. I know I've gone a bit overboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£245.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.94 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£125.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£115.31 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£71.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£298.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.87 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.29 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor (£159.99 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.90 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Blade Master 76.8 CFM 120mm Fan (£7.73 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan (£8.57 @ Scan.co.uk)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard (£72.89 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse (£32.49 @ Ebuyer)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones (£117.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC) (£19.99)
Other: Creative A60 2.0 Desktop Speakers (£12.99)
Other: Masterplug SRG62-MP 6 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused (£10.03)
Other: SteelSeries Surface QcK Mass (PC) (£12.35)
Other: Eizo Foris FG2421 120Hz Monitor (£250.00)
Other: Zalman ZMMIC1 Lapel Microphone (£5.35)
Other: Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (£5.53)
Total: £1934.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-20 00:56 BST+0100

As for buying Windows, I've only just discovered that subreddit where you can buy licenses and this will be the first time I've ever installed an OS, so how does it work exactly? Is it as simple as just downloading the OS to my USB drive then putting in the license when I'm setting it all up?

Vamphuntr

So I checked things a bit and for my first gaming PC would it be good to build Haz's "Excellent" build from the OP?

CPU $240 i5 4690K 4C/4T @3.5
i7 4790K 4C/8T @4.0 (+$100)

Motherboard $125 GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H (+$50)

Graphics $330 GTX 970 4GB
R9 290 4GB (-$30)

SSD $110 Crucial MX100 256GB
Crucial MX100 512GB (+$100)

Storage $60 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
2TB HDD (+$40)

Power Supply $65 SeaSonic M12II 520 (EVO)
XFX PRO XXX 550/650 (UK £65)
CoolerMaster V750 (+$45)

Case $90 Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Corsair Air 240 (mATX)
Corsair Air 540 (+$50)

Optical Drive SATA DVD Burner (+$20)

Heatsink $35 CM Hyper 212 EVO

Sound Card Xonar DGX (+$40)
Creative SB Z (+$110)

I want to be able to run the new games in the coming years at 60 FPS @ 1080P at the very least. I'm kind of scared the CPU will get outclassed quickly since games already ask for a quad core i7. Is it worth it to spend a lot more to get a 6 core i7? Apparently you need a more expensive LGA1011-v3 board which only accepts DDR4 memory (which is bloody expensive right now). What do you think GAF?

So I checked things a bit and for my first gaming PC would it be good to build Haz's "Excellent" build from the OP?

I want to be able to run the new games in the coming years at 60 FPS @ 1080P at the very least. I'm kind of scared the CPU will get outclassed quickly since games already ask for a quad core i7. Is it worth it to spend a lot more to get a 6 core i7? Apparently you need a more expensive LGA1011-v3 board which only accepts DDR4 memory (which is bloody expensive right now). What do you think GAF?

You wont need a i7 5820k (or higher) for gaming, it is overkill. You are going to spend ~$600 alone in CPU, Mobo, and Ram if you go Haswell-E now.

OzPinoy

Banned
I have a i5 4590 cpu with a H100i in a push configuration. Is there any point upgrading to a i7 4970k in my situation? Should I wait for broadwell i7 K cpu to warrant such upgrade?
My mobo is a gigabyte Z97X-SOC btw

Vamphuntr

You wont need a i7 5820k (or higher) for gaming, it is overkill. You are going to spend ~$600 alone in CPU, Mobo, and Ram if you go Haswell-E now.

This is what I thought. Do you thing Haz's Excellent build is good for a while (how long)? How do I choose which GTX 970 to buy? Zotac or EVGA? It's the first gaming PC I'm building and I want something that will perform decently for a good amount of time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Would I be absolutely stupid to NOT get the Asus Swift and instead get the new LG 34" curved 21:9 monitor?

I want 144hz so bad; but I mostly play "cinematic" games; and while I play competitively with my friends, I am not anywhere near a professional player.

The LG just seems so damn immersive...

This is what I thought. Do you thing Haz's Excellent build is good for a while (how long)? How do I choose which GTX 970 to buy? Zotac or EVGA? It's the first gaming PC I'm building and I want something that will perform decently for a good amount of time.

People are still rocking i5 2500K so I don't believe something will come up this gen that will really stress a i7 4790K.

As for the 970's brand; I have a EVGA which I would choose over Zotac because of warranty and customer service, but people here like the Gigabyte, the MSI, and the ASUS better. I personally think the ASUS is the best one.

To add to my previous point. A i7 5820K machine with one GTX 970 will cost you as much or more than a i7 4790K machine with two GTX 970; and the later will just undoubtedly perform better for gaming.

edit; not to diss the i7 5820K, though, I have one and it saves me a lot of time for non gaming tasks.

Vamphuntr

People are still rocking i5 2500K so I don't believe something will come up this gen that will really stress a i7 4790K.

As for the 970's brand; I have a EVGA which I would choose over Zotac because of warranty and customer service, but people here like the Gigabyte, the MSI, and the ASUS better. I personally think the ASUS is the best one.

To add to my previous point. A i7 5820K machine with one GTX 970 will cost you as much or more than a i7 4790K machine with two GTX 970; and the later will just undoubtedly perform better for gaming.

Thank you so much. Over the week I'll check the list for the parts I need and post them for GAF approval/feedback before ordering.

I have a new build in progress, here is what I have ordered so far:

Core i7-4790K - $279.99 (microcenter)
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 980 - $579.99 (amazon)
Asus Maximus VII Gene mATX - $179.99 (microcenter $40 CPU combo discount)
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 16GB 2400MHz - $182.99 (amazon)
Corsair AX860 PSU - $169.99 (amazon)
Samsung Evo SSD 1TB (already had)
Corsair 350D case (already had)

I havent decided on the CPU cooler yet but I am trying to make this shit as close to silent when idle or casual use as possible so I am leaning towards a Be Quiet! CPU Cooler and a couple of their 140mm case fans

Whats the best red LEDs one can get for a case?

axb2013

Thank you so much. Over the week I'll check the list for the parts I need and post them for GAF approval/feedback before ordering.

What the other posters said. There is no game that somehow stomps the i5 2500K yet performs significantly better on much more expensive setups.

maneil99

X-post

Gold Seller

WTS

EVGA 780 GTX Superclocked ACX

Taken very good care (just ask anyone in the PC thread) overclocks to 1241mhz stable, runs cool, cleaned regularly, bios flashed to custom bios (Removes power limit, and disables downclocking in games unless lower then 50% GPU usage, can be flashed back before shoipping, really not a big deal, just gives a bit more power and gets rid of nvidias auto downclocking bs). Always kept under 75c (5c lower then 780's target), normally in the 50-60c range. Purchased in August of 2013, still has two years left on the warranty

335$ USD Free shipping from Vancouver
Evga_Geforce_GTX_780_Superclocked_ACX_PCGH.jpg

I got one too :-D
Nice! Really excited and hoping it doesn't take too long to ship. Oddly enough I had to pay shipping but at least newegg still doesn't charge tax in Texas. Hopefully it's worth the 809 dollars, but I imagine it will be. Experiencing gsync and 120FPS for the first time should be a pleasure.

That nowinstock site is quite helpful.

axb2013

Nice! Really excited and hoping it doesn't take too long to ship. Oddly enough I had to pay shipping but at least newegg still doesn't charge tax in Texas. Hopefully it's worth the 809 dollars, but I imagine it will be. Experiencing gsync and 120FPS for the first time should be a pleasure.

If you are anything like me, it will blow your mind just doing desktop stuff let alone gaming. I bought my Catleap after a friend assured me importing from Korea was safe. His overclocks but I was too late to grab it so my model doesn't. Pick a window and drag it around and you'll see what I mean.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm new to this whole thing, and I'm looking for a lower-mid range rig that can play games on medium. I've had a look around and this is the best I can come up with on my own. Any thoughts or issues with compatibility?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£140.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.37 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.24 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card (£119.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.36 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.82 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £523.31

I'm new to this whole thing, and I'm looking for a lower-mid range rig that can play games on medium. I've had a look around and this is the best I can come up with on my own. Any thoughts or issues with compatibility?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£140.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.37 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.24 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card (£119.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.36 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.82 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £523.31

Personally I would go with a slightly nicer motherboard, as that one only has 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports and only 2 RAM slots. I tend to add over time a bit though, so YMMV. I might also go for a WD Blue instead of the Seagate but I'm sure that drive is fine.

edit: I also know nothing about UK prices so someone else will have to chime in about that.

newbong95

hello guys i followed this forum for a long time but only recently my account got accepted in neogaf.
I have a core i3 ivy bridge cpu , 8 gb of ram and no gpu . I am planning to buy a gtx 970 4gb . My resolution is 1080p. I am trying to get as much Vram as possible within my budget. I am from India so gtx 970 and amd r9 290 is around the same price here .

So my query is will gtx 970 be bottlenecked by i3 and if yes then should i go for a gtx 760 with 4gb or wait for gtx 860?

i want to buy the card that will atleast be powerful enough to handle dx12 games @60fps with high settings.

My MSI GTX 970 that I bought to replace my whiney EVGA is coming in today.

Can we all join in a prayer to the coil-whine god on my behalf? Thanks guys.

hello guys i followed this forum for a long time but only recently my account got accepted in neogaf.
I have a core i3 ivy bridge cpu , 8 gb of ram and no gpu . I am planning to buy a gtx 970 4gb . My resolution is 1080p. I am trying to get as much Vram as possible within my budget. I am from India so gtx 970 and amd r9 290 is around the same price here .

So my query is will gtx 970 be bottlenecked by i3 and if yes then should i go for a gtx 760 with 4gb or wait for gtx 860?

i want to buy the card that will atleast be powerful enough to handle dx12 games @60fps with high settings.

What CPU is it?

LilJoka

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.94 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB ACX Video Card (£239.41 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £570.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-20 14:25 BST+0100

That will be Ultra settings 1080p60 mostly lol. It will allow overclocking of G3258 to get the most out of the CPU too.

hoserx

Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB ACX Video Card (£239.41 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £570.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-20 14:25 BST+0100

That will be Ultra settings 1080p60 mostly lol. It will allow overclocking of G3258 to get the most out of the CPU too.

That CPU with a 780 though.....

LilJoka

That CPU with a 780 though.....

I know i know lol. But nothing stopping him overclocking to 4.5Ghz, it shouldnt bottleneck it very much at all i suspect, unless the game is very CPU intensive.
If you want to play it safe, just get a slightly lower speced GPU.

hoserx

I know i know lol. But nothing stopping him overclocking to 4.5Ghz, it shouldnt bottleneck it very much at all i suspect, unless the game is very CPU intensive.
If you want to play it safe, just get a slightly lower speced GPU.

Maybe 3 years ago I'd say you could get away with a highly clocked dual core cpu..... but not anymore.

realzzz

Neo Member
Maybe 3 years ago I'd say you could get away with a highly clocked dual core cpu..... but not anymore.
I would say the samething I would go for an i5 at the very least. Dont get me wrong this chip is a amazing chip for the price but it wont be futureproof for the years to come. It will probably last 2 years max.

LilJoka

I would say the samething I would go for an i5 at the very least. Dont get me wrong this chip is a amazing chip for the price but it wont be futureproof for the years to come. It will probably last 2 years max.

In 2 years throw in a 2nd hand 4770k, its a good strategy to get into PC's imo.

You can go the other way, put in the i5, get a medicore GPU, live with crap settings/fps for 2 years, only to buy another mediocre GPU in 2 years. I prefer the other way.

Need a small PC.

Was looking at a Mac Mini but after buying one and getting a rack pad and keyboard it was £620.

I'm looking for something that can go under my TV. With a case preferably in white or if not black.

It needs Windows so I don't know how much that will cost.

It is for Photographs and Music so a 1TB Hard drive at least.

I have a big back log of games on Steam I would like to play still. I have an xbox one for my gaming needs, but would like to play games from last gen at a high setting at 30fps at least.

I've had bother with AMD graphics cards before so would like to stay away from them, and would prefer an i5 but know my budget may not stretch to that.

EDIT I'm in the UK

Mastadon

Banned
In 2 years throw in a 2nd hand 4770k, its a good strategy to get into PC's imo.

You can go the other way, put in the i5, get a medicore GPU, live with crap settings/fps for 2 years, only to buy another mediocre GPU in 2 years. I prefer the other way.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. When you say crap settings/fps, what does that mean practically? So say for example I went out and bought Shadow of Mordor for an i5 with a R9 270x gpu, what would that feasibly run at?

LilJoka

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. When you say crap settings/fps, what does that mean practically? So say for example I went out and bought Shadow of Mordor for an i5 with a R9 270x gpu, what would that feasibly run at?

Sorry i shouldnt have said crap, you would get what you asked for ie mid-high settings 1080p probably close to 60fps. 270X is 2Gb so for starters youd have to run medium textures on Shadow of Mordor, but thats not too common. Mainly console ports are needing more and more VRAM. Its a bit of a balancing act for sure.

Need a small PC.

Was looking at a Mac Mini but after buying one and getting a rack pad and keyboard it was £620.

I'm looking for something that can go under my TV. With a case preferably in white or if not black.

I have a big back log of games on Steam I would like to play still. I have an xbox one for my gaming needs, but would like to play games from last gen at a high setting at 30fps at least.

I've had bother with AMD graphics cards before so would like to stay away from them, and would prefer an i5 but know my budget may not stretch to that.

EDIT I'm in the UK

Small form factor can be expensive, but something like this may be a start point. Fractal Node 304/Coolermaster Elite 130 are also cases that you could use.

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.74 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£145.19 @ Aria PC)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (£62.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£72.00)
Total: £501.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-20 15:07 BST+0100

I think Windows is another 80£ on top. If you know someone at University, you can ask them for a license as they get one free.

Mastadon

Banned
Sorry i shouldnt have said crap, you would get what you asked for ie mid-high settings 1080p probably close to 60fps. 270X is 2Gb so for starters youd have to run medium textures on Shadow of Mordor, but thats not too common. Mainly console ports are needing more and more VRAM. Its a bit of a balancing act for sure.

Make sense, thanks again.

Durante

Need a small PC.

EDIT I'm in the UK
I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but you could actually get an Alienware Alpha.

Need a small PC.

EDIT I'm in the UK
The build above looks solid but from reorientation, you will regret not getting an SSD for the OS at least. Nothing worse than a hdd crackling along under your TV as it updates windows or something.
Resume and startup times as well as program loads will also make the whole experience nicer.

The 120gb 840 EVO is a good value shout now the fix is there.

clem84

Gold Member
Hey guys. I wasn't sure where to post this. I have a question about a few GPUs I have.

Earlier this year I bought a few 280x and used them for mining. Now, they were used for approximately 2 and a half months before I stopped. I've heard that extended mining can be harmful for GPUs.

1- Now, is 2.5 months long enough to do any harm? They were running 24/7.

2- Is there a program out there to test the reliability of my GPUs?

I've downloaded a few programs to benchmark them (3Dmark, Unigine). Everything seems to be ok but these programs measure performance right? (fps, temperature, etc...) They won't tell me if my GPUs are fully functional. Or maybe it's the same thing I don't know. I want to sell them and before I do I want to make certain that they're 100% functional. Any advice?

Smokey

What was your gameplan for this? Did you literally wait up and have the page open lol

I woke up this morning and saw the alert that it was in stock at 2am or so

BlizzyAzz

Need a small PC.

EDIT I'm in the UK

The Zotac Zbox EN 760 Plus could be something for you.

It has a Nvidia 860m gpu.

Digital Foundry Benchmark Video

To give you some perspective about the gpu:
Zotac-ZBOX-EN760-1080p-Performance.png

Benchmark and Reviews:
Forbes.com/
http://www.gamersnexus.net
http://www.pcworld.com

Edit:
We arrive to the question of who's best off buying this product. The EN760's small form factor, gaming performance, and GPU/CPU thermals are impressive when examined as a package -- especially at $540 pre-RAM / HDD. The price-point is exactly where it should be. I would advise against the "Plus" model. It takes all of 7 minutes to install the RAM and HDD the first time (and about 40 seconds the next time). As mentioned above, the $150 difference is better spent on a 128GB MX100 SSD ($75) and 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM ($80) for better speed, performance, and lower noise levels. If you need storage and can't use a NAS, a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD can be had at $80.

gn-editors-choiceAnyone looking for a discrete, easily-hidden living room gaming PC, console replacement, or DIY DVR (after buying the capture equipment) should investigate the ZBOX. Its gaming performance ensures you'll be playing most modern titles at some mix of high and max settings -- maybe dropping down to medium for the most intensive games -- while still running at moderate temperatures.

Corsair HX520 is buckling under GTX 970 full load it seems (more details here post #5976 and later).

I need a new PSU for this build. Something that will be VERY stable and future proof (5+ years). Dual GTX 970 at some point, maybe even some heavy CPU & GPU OC if I ever go on high resolutions and/or 144Hz, etc.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
Gigabyte GV-N970-G1 GAMING-4GD
Corsair HX520
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Antec P183

Is Coolermaster V850 the best choice in the 750-850W range?

Just an update on this. Bought and installed the V850 today. No buzzing/crackling issues whatsoever, so it was the HX520W buckling under pressure. :)
Glad I sorted that out.

When it comes to PC's, as someone once said, waiting for the next best thing is not necessarily a good strategy since you'll always be waiting because there's always something better coming. Go with what will really give you the performance upgrade you feel is necessary for the type of games/programs that you use.

I would be going from a i5-3750K to a new Broadwell i7. Or would is really Skylake going to make a huge difference in performance between the two? I also assume Broadwell will make DDR4 a standard correct?

So basically... should I just get a Broadwell chip? Or is that the one chip that will be phased out fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom