• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - taking the plunge (again)

Robbing a spare Samsung Pro SSD 240GB for this build
I'm using Scan, Amazon & Ebuyer only. (easier returns)

I think this is all good but happy to take tweaks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Total: £807.17

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6sBnNG

LilJoka

Right - taking the plunge (again)

Robbing a spare Samsung Pro SSD 240GB for this build

I think this is all good but happy to take tweaks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Total: £807.17

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6sBnNG

Fine build, but are you sure about going full ATX, and the 650W PSU isnt enough for SLI comfortably, but too much for a single GPU setup.

Fine build, but are you sure about going full ATX, and the 650W PSU isnt enough for SLI comfortably, but too much for a single GPU setup.

What would you suggest for a single GPU smaller build?
Those parts were only picked because of the value (trying to stick to £800)

The PSU was just one of the cheaper ones of the bunch tbh

LilJoka

What would you suggest for a single GPU smaller build?

(The PSU was just one of the cheaper ones of the bunch tbh)

A mini ITX build, would you prefer a tower style PC, or do you mind having a cube style?
Some examples: Silverstone RVZ01, Fractal Node 304, Coolermaster Elite 130.

I assume budget is £800?

LilJoka

So lets say I switched.... Keeping to £800

Z97MX Gaming 5 Intel S1150 Gigabyte Micro ATX Motherboard?
Zalman Z11 Plus?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/b2NhYJ

Well half way there, thats an ATX case, just a mid tower, that means less HDD drives than a full tower, not really small.

Either get a mATX case, like a silverstone TJ08E, or go mITX like this:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kffzHx
Case comes in black too. I also chose the corsair RAM since it doesnt have tall heatsinks that can be problomatic with CPU coolers in the future.

The RoG Swift is huge! Not going to mess around with it too much as I have a night shift coming up soon but I'm so excited for when I get back! So thin and pretty :D
The blurbusters motion test doesn't seem to recognizing that I have a 120Hz+ monitor though? Set it to 144hz mode

Well half way there, thats an ATX case, just a mid tower, that means less HDD drives than a full tower, not really small.

Either get a mATX case, like a silverstone TJ08E, or go mITX like this:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kffzHx
Case comes in black too. I also chose the corsair RAM since it doesnt have tall heatsinks that can be problomatic with CPU coolers in the future.

Cheers - Think I'll switch the mobo out and go for the Asus Z97I-PLUS (prefer them over Gigabyte)

I'll order tomorrow evening when I'm paid

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The RoG Swift is huge! Not going to mess around with it too much as I have a night shift coming up soon but I'm so excited for when I get back! So thin and pretty :D
The blurbusters motion test doesn't seem to recognizing that I have a 120Hz+ monitor though? Set it to 144hz mode
Try other browsers and make sure they are updated

Any Brazillians here? I live in Brazil and I'd like to upgrade my HD7770 into something better. I only have 720p gaming in mind, I'd like to run Witcher 3 and GTA5 in the future (which I don't think will run on my current rig). I'm also on a tight budget.

Aside from the HD7770 I run:
i5 2500K
GA-H61M-S1 MoBo
8GB of RAM

Not from Brazil but I wish I was for the ladies. Ahem..... We don't kniow the actual system requirements for Witcher 3 or GTA 5 just yet. I know a post was posted elsewhere but Project Red said they haven't optimized the code yet so those aren't 100% correct.

That said your processor may be long int the tooth but it's still good. I'd upgrade the video card to maybe a GTX 750 TI to save some cash and maybe another 8GB of ram.

Or just wait until we know the official specs then panic ;)

BTW: What is your budget?

Ashhong

Hey guys got a tech support question, hope you don't mind.

I have been running a TP Link powerline adapter on my new desktop for a few months now with no problems. I recently upgraded our router from an old netgear to a new Dlink with dual band, gigabit ports, etc.

Ever since then my internet randomly goes out on the powerline and I dont have access to the network. No IP address, etc. If I reconnect the ethernet on the router it works again. Is this a faulty router? Faulty powerline? Some kind of compatibility issue?

Try other browsers and make sure they are updated
I am an idiot and forgot to change the framerate via the nvidia control panel, figured it would do it automatically. 120 FPS is neat! ULMB makes a big difference too. How does it work with games though? Started up Doom 3 BFG and it seems to automatically turn off because the screen gets much brighter.

This is all new to me!

Vamphuntr

I'm in a waiting queue for the Asus GTX 970 T.T . It seems everyone wants it. The store i bought it front showed it as in stock only to tell me the next batch might be next Tuesday/Wednesday :(

It's slowing down the building of my PC quite a bit.

I'm in a waiting queue for the Asus GTX 970 T.T . It seems everyone wants it. The store i bought it front showed it as in stock only to tell me the next batch might be next Tuesday/Wednesday :(

It's slowing down the building of my PC quite a bit.

The GPU is at least something you can put last, buy some cable ties and give that boy some nice cable management in the meantime.

I definitely need to get a second 780Ti though, because of the jump to 2560x1440 a lot of recent games have dropped from the 50s to the high 30s which apparently even gsync can't save.

Thinking I'll just get another 780Ti instead of upgrading to the 980s as the 8GB models aren't out yet and I'm not running at 4K. Will do a full upgrade when the 980Tis or whatever come out.

Why does 144hz cause my GPU to constantly run where 120 lets it idle?

forrest

formerly nacire
So as I get closer to finalizing a mini itx build on a 700$ budget for my brother, I'm trying to decided between the EVGA Hadron Air vs. Cooler Master Elite 130 + PSU + AIO Water Cooler. I really like the idea of the cooler master, but it would seem the Hadron air will save me money overall. Any input on these cases and the direction I will be lead choosing one over the other?

If I go with the Hadron Air, I'll likely stick with the stock cooler for the cpu or look for an extremely cheap after market cooler. But either way I think the EVGA case will come in a bit cheaper.

jrush64

Banned
So you are saying that you want to buy a new build....but put it into that Dell case...?

Yeah I will like to do that. But I've looked at some more cases. I don't want a giant case like a tower case. I would prefer a small case like a MicroATX Mini Tower case.

Would that work for my build?

-Rosewill ATX 12V 650-Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply Hive-650

-EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2972-KR

-WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

-ASRock ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4

-Intel I5-4440 Processor BX80646I54440

Once again I'm very new at this so please excuse my ignorance? Also If it helps, Im not going to use to tp game heavily.

I've been meaning to upgrade to a full tower and a modular PSU for a while.

...but then I realize that if I buy those I am halfway to the cost of a GTX 970, which is a much more tangible upgrade (currently have an unlocked 6950).

...but then I don't want to spend the full cost of a 970.

What do? :lol

ekgrey

So as I get closer to finalizing a mini itx build on a 700$ budget for my brother, I'm trying to decided between the EVGA Hadron Air vs. Cooler Master Elite 130 + PSU + AIO Water Cooler. I really like the idea of the cooler master, but it would seem the Hadron air will save me money overall. Any input on these cases and the direction I will be lead choosing one over the other?

If I go with the Hadron Air, I'll likely stick with the stock cooler for the cpu or look for an extremely cheap after market cooler. But either way I think the EVGA case will come in a bit cheaper.

there was someone in this thread some weeks back who had some problems with the Hadron Air...can't remember what it was, maybe noise? i'd looked at it for my own build, as i like the low profile PSU and the HSF they make for it is pretty nifty, but that discouraged me.

the CM is pretty highly regarded, but i couldn't use it because i think their logo is ass ugly haha.

Looks more like missing chipset drivers to me.

I reinstalled the chipset drivers and that got rid of almost everything in that list, but I still have a failure of the AMDA00 drivers to load properly. Some more Googling has found other people with similar issues, seems related to WUDFR (Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework) and something not working properly with it.

The only thing left in Device Manager that's failing is 2nd Intel Ethernet adapter on my X99Deluxe. Not a huge issue as I only use one at a time but I'd prefer if it was working if I ever need it. It is enabled in the UEFI.

EDIT: I fixed the Intel Ethernet issue, found newer drivers on Intels site that were not on the motherboads "approved" driver download list that are working fine.

Leckan

What is everyone thoughts on RAM in the future. I've noticed that some recent games have had 8 GB as recommended. Will 8 GB be enough for the next few years or is 16 GB adviced for more future-proofing (DDR3).

Kvik

The only thing left in Device Manager that's failing is 2nd Intel Ethernet adapter on my X99Deluxe. Not a huge issue as I only use one at a time but I'd prefer if it was working if I ever need it. It is enabled in the UEFI.

I assume you've downloaded the latest Ethernet driver from Intel website? I used to have similar problem with my old Gigabyte P55 mobo, so I unpacked the .exe manually and used the "Have Disk" to update the driver manually.

EDIT: I fixed the Intel Ethernet issue, found newer drivers on Intels site that were not on the motherboads "approved" driver download list that are working fine.

lol, beat me to it :p

SugarDave

So I've ordered everything for my PC except for the CPU and OS now. I can't really decide between the i5 4690K and i7 4790K. On one hand, I've spent nigh on £2000 on this build already and the extra £75 for the i7 doesn't sound all that bad when you put it like that, especially when you factor in that I've saved like crazy and have a lot of disposable income at the moment with no other responsibilities I need to spend money towards. On the other hand though, I don't really need it (at the moment). I'm hoping that this PC will last me a fair amount of time and while I understand that you lot can't predict where things are going to go I'd have no qualms about paying the premium for something that will last me longer. Thoughts?

As for the OS, what is the cheapest way to get Windows 8.1 in the UK? How does that software swap subreddit work exactly?

My Fractal R4 case arrived today. A bit bigger than I expected but it looks lovely and the clicky power button is so satisfying to press. Full towers must be massive.

legacyzero

Banned
Need help GAF. So a few months ago, I got a BSOD, and then my PC refused to show a picture afterwards. I noticed there was a red light shining on my Motherboard. A quick google noted that it's a RAM issue, and to start pulling sticks one by one until it's fixed. First one I pull (first on the right side) fixes the issue. So that's a relief.

ibsjiwRlUHcT2m.jpg

So I attempted to plug the stick back in, hoping it was just a fluke, and sure enough, red light and no screen again.

So here's my question: How do I tell if it's a bad stick, or a bad port?

Addnan

Need help GAF. So a few months ago, I got a BSOD, and then my PC refused to show a picture afterwards. I noticed there was a red light shining on my Motherboard. A quick google noted that it's a RAM issue, and to start pulling sticks one by one until it's fixed. First one I pull (first on the right side) fixes the issue. So that's a relief.

So I attempted to plug the stick back in, hoping it was just a fluke, and sure enough, red light and no screen again.

Try a working stick in that slot?

You have a MemOk button, will it launch with that?

LilJoka

That easy, eh? Just checking :p

I dont know a whole lot about what goes on in this thing. What would the MemOk button do?

How would one do that?

Make a memtest86+ USB Stick. That will bootup into the memtest86+ test and itll automatically run a memory test pointing out any errors. Even a single error points towards defective ram.

That easy, eh? Just checking :p

I dont know a whole lot about what goes on in this thing. What would the MemOk button do?

How would one do that?

Try one of the 'good' sticks in that 4th slot as well, in case it's the motherboard and not the ram that's busted.

4 slots, 4 sticks, combinations of them will tell you what's at fault. Also memtest is good stuff.

Kvik

Make a memtest86+ USB Stick. That will bootup into the memtest86+ test and itll automatically run a memory test pointing out any errors. Even a single error points towards defective ram.

YMMV though, in my experience, some bad sticks can actually cleared the first pass of memtest86+. But when I used this memtest it actually found it below 100% coverage.

Finally got all my parts in today and got it put together. 4690k, define r4, cm212 evo, 256gb Samsung 840, evga 970.

I'll make a post with pics later. I'm posting this from my nexus 7 because my PC is busy updating. Cpu temps are hovering around 30c and everything seems to work except my front headphone jack but that might just need a driver update from my mobo. It seems to work but is missing some sounds. I didn't get to install all of the drivers because I didn't put an optical drive in.

I forgot how much I don't like actually putting the PC together (always afraid I'm going to break something), but the define r4 was great to work in. The biggest problem I had was the 8pin connector to the mobo. It was just barely long enough and took me a while to get it locked in.

xBladeM6x

I currently have 2 monitors. Basically, one in the GPU, and the other in the motherboard. (Believe me, there's a reason why they're not both in the GPU yet) I'm wondering if I should set my Nvidia Control Panel gpu acceleration to multi-monitor, or single monitor. Naturally I'd do Multiple, but I only have 1 monitor in the GPU, soooo....

appaws

Banned
Yeah I will like to do that. But I've looked at some more cases. I don't want a giant case like a tower case. I would prefer a small case like a MicroATX Mini Tower case.

Would that work for my build?

-EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2972-KR

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

Once again I'm very new at this so please excuse my ignorance? Also If it helps, Im not going to use to tp game heavily.

I don't think you should build into that old Dell case....

Yeah, I think something like an mATX build would work well for you. If I remember right we estimated about 500 Euros for you, or roughly 650 USD.....here is a pretty decent mATX build for 1080p gaming....with the potential to upgrade to a Broadwell i5 or i7 down the road.....

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qkWQLk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qkWQLk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $666.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 23:22 EDT-0400

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, new computer up and running, temperatures in the 30C for CPU, ~41-43 for GPU while just doing internet stuff. Gonna install some games and test them out. SSD is so fast!

Now question, I've been using Rivatuner/D3D Overrider for V-sync for the last 4 years for gaming. Is that still the best or should I be using Nvidia's options in their control panel?

jrush64

Banned
Yeah, I think something like an mATX build would work well for you. If I remember right we estimated about 500 Euros for you, or roughly 650 USD.....here is a pretty decent mATX build for 1080p gaming....with the potential to upgrade to a Broadwell i5 or i7 down the road.....

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qkWQLk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qkWQLk/by_merchant/

Alright thanx. But i have 2 more questions. This is my new breakdown, it will cose $970 to $1000

Would a mini atx or micro atx case work?

Does it matter what make of Gefore GTX 970 card I buy? Must it be EVGA?

Amaya

Banned
Someone please help! I can't connect to the Internet. Windows network diagnosis says "you're computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding.

I tried resetting modem and router. Then I tried changing IPv4 DNS to google and global dns. Nothing!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom