• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soodanim

The rest of my PC parts get here in 3-4 hours. I don't have any rubbing alcohol, which the OP recommends even on new builds. Am I already dead?

jrush64

Banned
I've picked out the parts that I want from Build a pc.net:

-Rosewill ATX 12V 650-Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply Hive-650

-EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2972-KR

-WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

-ASRock ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4

-Intel I5-4440 Processor BX80646I54440

Can i use any case or must it be the specially picked case for this build?

RulkezX

Planning a new build, might even pull the trigger today....

Is it worth dropping the extra £60 getting a 4790k over the 4690k given the direction PC ports are going ?

Soodanim

Is it worth dropping the extra £60 getting a 4790k over the 4690k given the direction PC ports are going ?

I'm no expert, but I'd say the biggest question is whether your budget allows for it. I wouldn't get a better CPU at the expense of the GPU, but if you can afford it you can. I know you want to future-proof, but I don't have any idea how many games take advantage of hyper-threading at the moment and whether it will extend that far. For PC gaming i5s seem to be plenty because they're so much better than AMD CPUs.

LordAlu

This is all based of German prices but you'd probably be able to get pretty close:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (€59.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€32.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€78.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (€70.39 @ Hardwareversand)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€90.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card (€199.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€37.58 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€58.09 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €627.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 13:30 CEST+0200
Overclock that Pentium and you've got a stonker of a machine - upgrade later to a 4690K.

Garou

So I noticed a strange noise in my PC, like a small 2.5" hard drive seeking, except that I only have an SSD in there. The sound seems to come from either PSU or GPU, any idea/experiences with something like that?

riflen

I really need a Gsync monitor. For awhile now I've been mostly playing multiplayer fpses. When I play MP games I play with vsync disabled to eliminate input lag. Today I tested out Bioshock Infinite to see how it runs on my new PC, and it runs great but I decided to turn on vsync to eliminate the tearing and man, I have become sensitive to the additional input lag. Maybe it's the input lag of SLI on top of the vsync input lag, but I don't know if I can play that way. At the same time, I really don't want to deal with tearing.

Are you at 60Hz? I'm sensitive to latency and I had no problems playing this game from start to finish using SLI with Vsync enabled at 120Hz. It was quite lovely actually. This is a frametime capture from 5 minutes of play on my machine with those settings.

14497146745_ba705ac013_o.png

I recently got the ASUS ROG Swift monitor and I can't say that I notice reduced latency in this game using G-sync mode compared to Vsync enabled on my old 120Hz display (which isn't surprising).

G-Sync is great for a lot of situations, but there's no substitute for running a game with 8-10ms frametimes on a display that can update at the same rate.

SLI could be making things worse for you if your frametimes are not great. SLI will add an extra frame of latency (so the legend goes), so if the last frame took 8.3ms (120fps), adding another 8.3ms is not going to be a big deal most of the time.
If your last frame took 25ms (40fps), then another 25ms could be enough for you to notice latency between input and display. Basically, SLI and Vsync become less and less of a problem the higher the performance and the higher the display refresh.

tl;dr - 120/144Hz display + low frame times are unbeatable (duh). If you get a G-Sync display, make sure it's 144Hz also, so you have as much choice as possible as to how to enjoy games. Apologies if you know all this already.
You could also try forcing Max GPU buffered frames to 1 in the NVCP for this game, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't do anything when AFR mode (SLI) is enabled.

xBladeM6x

For those who remember me talking about RMA'ing my 980 (I didn't), it turns out the recent Game Ready Drivers fixed my issues. It's odd, because I did insanely clean sweeps of the drivers prior to this, when I'd replace them. It seems 344.16 wasn't agreeing with my system, however the new one is. Also, I have a monitor (MSI Afterburner) running to keep an eye on things, and my card always hovered at a base 1240 clock, and wouldn't downclock. Turns out there's an option in Logitech G35 software that enabled hardware acceleration. Once I disabled it my clock went down to 135. Can't believe the solution was literally right under my nose the whole time.

Faabulous

Any Brazillians here? I live in Brazil and I'd like to upgrade my HD7770 into something better. I only have 720p gaming in mind, I'd like to run Witcher 3 and GTA5 in the future (which I don't think will run on my current rig). I'm also on a tight budget.

Aside from the HD7770 I run:
i5 2500K
GA-H61M-S1 MoBo
8GB of RAM

riflen

Gaffers I'm in a bit of a pickle.
I've been using the Samsung SA700 120hz monitor for gaming, but after playing the PS4 on the 55' Sony W900 since last November, I just can't go back to gaming on my PC monitor which has terrible contrast.
So my question is if there exists or can anyone recommend a monitor with high refresh rate and good picture/contrast with preferably 1440p res. I guess what I'm describing is probably a VA panel monitor.. Are there any good ones coming out, apart from the foriz eizo.
Before anyone suggests hooking the W900 to my PC, that just can't be done with my current setup.

Once the display you describe exists, I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes. The number of people waiting for something similar is pretty huge.

At the moment, there is nothing, with the Eizo probably being your best bet. 144Hz IPS panels are coming, but there's been no announcement of any products using those panels yet, which is usually a good indication that they are quite a long way off. As ever, the display industry moves much more slowly than we'd all like.

Are you at 60Hz? I'm sensitive to latency and I had no problems playing this game from start to finish using SLI with Vsync enabled at 120Hz. It was quite lovely actually. This is a frametime capture from 5 minutes of play on my machine with those settings..

Yes, I'm still on a 60Hz monitor. I'm waiting for the Benq XL2420G, for now. I considered the Asus ROG Swift but I'd rather just focus on higher framerate and stick to 1080p to help insure that I'm able to reach those higher framerates more consistently.

appaws

Banned
Hey guys so I need some help. I've read the OP and I'm having a hard time understanding things. I'll appreciate it if someone can please help.

I'm looking for a PC that can play The Sims 4 at the highest setting and maybe some new games at high settings. Including being able to play games like Skyward Sword at max settings on dolphin.

I want to have a dell xps case with the $800 gaming build on PC parts picker.

I just wanted to know if it's possible?

Ok thanx. I have this PC at home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KE80VV6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would this case work? I don't know if it's ATX though.

So you are saying that you want to buy a new build....but put it into that Dell case...?

For gaming purposes it's a tough call. If you have the money, I would say go for it. But understand that 95% of games are not going to use the extra threads and the i5 would be just as good (in general terms).

For that other 5%, and for other tasks or apps like editing, rendering, etc. That is where the i7 can use its muscle.

Also, with Devil's Canyon as opposed to earlier Intel generations, I notice that the stock clock in the i7 is proportionately jacked up higher than the i5. I wonder what this says about tighter binning, etc.?

So I'm in the market for a motherboard, with some specific wants:

- i5 4430 compatible
- 4 DDR3 sockets
- one or more IDE ports (muh burner)
- surround output
- I don't care at all about on board video, and would almost prefer less here if it cuts down the price
-sub $200

Is there anything like this on the market? I think I've seen it all but no IDE and often there will be 2 RAM sockets and just the 3 standard audio ports. I get that IDE is old but would rather not shell out for a new drive just so I can rip a CD or watch a DVD once in a while.

Modern DVD burners are like $15-$20. Instead of shoehorning yourself into some weird motherboard just get a new dvd drive and a recommended board, you're better off that way.

maneil99

Back to the 780 Ti vs 970. I have the ability to get a 780 Ti Classified for 20$ more then a 970. Again, 1080p gaming mostly, although with downsampling it would be nice for the extra 1gb Vram. Call of Duty AW also recommends 4gb 760 GTX. Should I be going with the 780 Ti Classified or 970.

xBladeM6x

Back to the 780 Ti vs 970. I have the ability to get a 780 Ti Classified for 20$ more then a 970. Again, 1080p gaming mostly, although with downsampling it would be nice for the extra 1gb Vram. Call of Duty AW also recommends 4gb 760 GTX. Should I be going with the 780 Ti Classified or 970.

970. Overclocking brings it up to 780 Ti performance.

970 easily.

I'd go for the 970 as well. The only reason I got a 2nd 780 Ti was because I didn't feel like switching out the original and they're both good overclockers, but the 970 makes more sense for most people unless you get a good deal.

maneil99

Decided to go with the 780 Ti. Going from a 780 the 970 is far to close in performance to be worth it. Plus this is only until the real Maxwell launches. With the 780 Ti Classified being the same price I decided to go with it.

Decided to go with the 780 Ti. Going from a 780 the 970 is far to close in performance to be worth it. Plus this is only until the real Maxwell launches.

Yeah in that case it doesn't matter much, it's not gonna matter if you're not in it for the long haul. I will probably be waiting it out until something that is demonstrably much faster than my SLI 780 Ti's is out as a single GPU.

Goddamn why don't the H440 or the S340 have fan controllers on their cases? I might just give up and lay my motherboard on some cardboard since I can't find a case that isn't ugly, too small, too expensive, or too limited.

Nikokuno

Any Brazillians here? I live in Brazil and I'd like to upgrade my HD7770 into something better. I only have 720p gaming in mind, I'd like to run Witcher 3 and GTA5 in the future (which I don't think will run on my current rig). I'm also on a tight budget.

Aside from the HD7770 I run:
i5 2500K
GA-H61M-S1 MoBo
8GB of RAM

Ain't from Brazil but I think you should tell us your budget and if you want new or used GPU.

Hey guys looking to build my first proper gaming rig (on a budget), would appreciate any advice. I've been suggested this build by a friend but was looking for some opinions.

Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Mid-Tower Case
Intel Core i5 4690K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
ASRock Z97-Anniversary Intel LGA 1150 Motherboard
G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce OverClocked 4GB
Cooler Master Vanguard 650W 80+ Gold Modular PS
Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB
Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

Does this look okay or should I be making some changes?

Hey guys looking to build my first proper gaming rig (on a budget), would appreciate any advice. I've been suggested this build by a friend but was looking for some opinions.

Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Mid-Tower Case
Intel Core i5 4690K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
ASRock Z97-Anniversary Intel LGA 1150 Motherboard
G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce OverClocked 4GB
Cooler Master Vanguard 650W 80+ Gold Modular PS
Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB
Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

Does this look okay or should I be making some changes?

Go for the newer MX100 256GB.

Going back to my previous processors doubts. Intel have confirmed that the warranty is valid, the serial checks out with the details on the box. The retailer in question (247electronics.co.uk) offered to replace it but I'm satisfied that it was probably damaged in transit. Wouldn't normally be so fussy but processors are not cheap. They should probably be using more padding and spend less on free next day delivery.

Aside from a bit of difficulty getting ahold of Intel through live chat I've been pretty happy with both parties. Strange how it didn't show up on Intel's warranty checker though. Has it been reliable for most of you in the past?

Last thing I need to pick up is some ram and I'm ready to get building.

Kornflayx

Hey guys, for the first time I'm putting together a PC on my own. I've got everything set up but the PSU. The main power connector is plugged in. Now I've got JPWR2, JPWR3 & JPWR4 left, with 8, 6 & 4 pins respectively.

Do I have to plug a power cord into all, or do I leave some open. Oh, the mainboard is a MSI Z97 MPOWER

LilJoka

Going back to my previous processors doubts. Intel have confirmed that the warranty is valid, the serial checks out with the details on the box. The retailer in question (247electronics.co.uk) offered to replace it but I'm satisfied that it was probably damaged in transit. Wouldn't normally be so fussy but processors are not cheap. They should probably be using more padding and spend less on free next day delivery.

Aside from a bit of difficulty getting ahold of Intel through live chat I've been pretty happy with both parties. Strange how it didn't show up on Intel's warranty checker though. Has it been reliable for most of you in the past?

Last thing I need to pick up is some ram and I'm ready to get building.

I bet nobody in this entire thread has had a CPU fail. Its like a brick in terms of reliability. At work we treated CPUs like crap, throw them around, deal static damage, never had one issue.

LilJoka

Hey guys, for the first time I'm putting together a PC on my own. I've got everything set up but the PSU. The main power connector is plugged in. Now I've got JPWR2, JPWR3 & JPWR4 left, with 8, 6 & 4 pins respectively.

Do I have to plug a power cord into all, or do I leave some open. Oh, the mainboard is a MSI Z97 MPOWER

JPWR1 and JPWR2 is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom