• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
Why did you go with the I5 over the I7?

Two reasons. First was budget, I was trying to keep everything together not too much above $1000.

The second reason is that in your survey you filled out, you seemed to want a primarily gaming build with low interest in editing, rendering, etc. The benefits of an i7 lie more in that area as opposed to gaming, where 95% of games will not use the extra cores/threads.

The i7 4790k is a great part and if you can afford to switch out the i5 for that, by all means do so. I was just watching the $$$.

Bebpo

Banned
So, just like every time I build a computer, everything always goes wrong. I got all my parts today and right away the Phantek Enthoo case is insanely big. Like I've always used full towers my whole life and this is replacing a full tower but it's still an extra 2 inches taller and 1 inch longer...which means it doesn't fit in my computer desk now fffffuuuuu. I've literally never seen a case this size before, it's like an elephant.

I should have read the OP more carefully for measurements and stuff but I just assumed all towers were the same size and was building from the enthusiast build in the OP. Now I have to decide whether I want to put it by the side of the desk instead of under the desk or sell it and buy a new case :( fffuuuu

Bebpo

Banned
If I put it on the side of my desk, is there any issue with having a computer 2 inches from a subwoofer in terms of magnetism effects and stuff? Don't want to damage either item.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This NVidia DSR stuff creates the ultimate placebo effect and acts as a great advertisement for high-end cards. Just fucking around with 4x resolutions in games can be addicting. Unfortunately i think i will rarely use it in my case. I game on a 1080p TV so the native contrast of a tv seems to eradicate most of the noticeable differences i might detect in downsampling. Proper monitors you are sitting next to though i can see really benefiting.

xBladeM6x

This NVidia DSR stuff creates the ultimate placebo effect and acts as a great advertisement for high-end cards. Just fucking around with 4x resolutions in games can be addicting. Unfortunately i think i will rarely use it in my case. I game on a 1080p TV so the native contrast of a tv seems to eradicate most of the noticeable differences i might detect in downsampling. Proper monitors you are sitting next to though i can see really benefiting.

Best display of it for me, was Alien Isolation going from 1080p -> DSR 1440p and it got rid of essentially all aliasing in that game.

The Llama

Er, if you can notice the difference, its not a placebo effect.

I really need a Gsync monitor. For awhile now I've been mostly playing multiplayer fpses. When I play MP games I play with vsync disabled to eliminate input lag. Today I tested out Bioshock Infinite to see how it runs on my new PC, and it runs great but I decided to turn on vsync to eliminate the tearing and man, I have become sensitive to the additional input lag. Maybe it's the input lag of SLI on top of the vsync input lag, but I don't know if I can play that way. At the same time, I really don't want to deal with tearing.

Wellscha

Hey guys, a friend of mine who's not a GAF member needs help. he just assembled his new PC, and keeps getting a certain error:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

and his PC won't even boot to windows.

all help is appreciated.

maneil99

I know this isn't a great place to ask and don't want to clutter it from actual people that need one. But if anyone is selling a 780 ti or 970 pm me.

Hey guys, a friend of mine who's not a GAF member needs help. he just assembled his new PC, and keeps getting a certain error:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

all help is appreciated.

WHEA errors are often CPU overclock related

I really need a Gsync monitor. For awhile now I've been mostly playing multiplayer fpses. When I play MP games I play with vsync disabled to eliminate input lag. Today I tested out Bioshock Infinite to see how it runs on my new PC, and it runs great but I decided to turn on vsync to eliminate the tearing and man, I have become sensitive to the additional input lag. Maybe it's the input lag of SLI on top of the vsync input lag, but I don't know if I can play that way. At the same time, I really don't want to deal with tearing.

144 fps > Gsync

all help is appreciated.

Is he overclocking? I get that when my OC isn't stable.

appaws

Banned
So, just like every time I build a computer, everything always goes wrong. I got all my parts today and right away the Phantek Enthoo case is insanely big. Like I've always used full towers my whole life and this is replacing a full tower but it's still an extra 2 inches taller and 1 inch longer...which means it doesn't fit in my computer desk now fffffuuuuu. I've literally never seen a case this size before, it's like an elephant.

I should have read the OP more carefully for measurements and stuff but I just assumed all towers were the same size and was building from the enthusiast build in the OP. Now I have to decide whether I want to put it by the side of the desk instead of under the desk or sell it and buy a new case :( fffuuuu

Which one did you get? Did you get the Primo...? If so, then I think the Luxe and/or Pro are a bit smaller while still being full towers...although you should double check that...

A mid-tower with good space optimization might be a good option for you as well.

Kvik

That Enthoo Primo looks like a great case, if I'm in the market for a new one, I'll probably have a tough time deciding between it and Obsidian 900D:

Code:
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate 250mm x 650mm x 600mm (WxHxD)
Obsidian Series 900D 252mm x 692mm x 650mm (WxHxD)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well you guys got me a solid PC nearly two years ago, still rocking on. Added an SSD for an even bigger boost.

Now I kinda need a new laptop. Budget is around $700. Will be used primarily for programming. Any ideas?
If I was buying I would get a Lenovo Y410P/Y510P I think. But ask the laptop thread (first link of the OP)
OK, here is a build I threw together. I used the GPU that you posted in your original thoughts, but I changed what I thought needed to be changed. You said your budget was $1000 "+"....so this is a little higher than that, depending on what the "+" means you could adjust it up or down....

I love the NZXT S340 case....it comes in black or white....you could of course change that to whatever you want...as cases are a matter of personal taste. That R4 you had in your original build is a great case.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M2mcyc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M2mcyc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1093.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 17:29 EDT-0400
No reason to get the Extreme 3 over the Pro 4 or the GB SLI board. Went through SKU hell for that.
Rest solid, just bump ram to 1966Mhz.
So I saw enough deals today that I decided to pull the trigger on my ultra-budget build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B85M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($34.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $336.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 17:56 EDT-0400

Looking to add a video card to this. Ideally priced between $120-180. Just looking for something that can play WoW, Diablo3, Valve games, Minecraft, and some MMOs maxed or near-maxed out at 1080p.

Candidates are:
GTX 750 Ti
GTX 760 (some are dropping at my price range with MIRs)
R9 270X
R9 285?

Anything else I might be missing?
760 if you can foot the upfront cost with MIR. AMD the power you get from the 280/280X that are going on sale sometimes is ridiculous.
That Enthoo Primo looks like a great case, if I'm in the market for a new one, I'll probably have a tough time deciding between it and Obsidian 900D:

Code:
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate 250mm x 650mm x 600mm (WxHxD)
Obsidian Series 900D 252mm x 692mm x 650mm (WxHxD)
The Primo doesn't offer much over the regular Ethnoo unless you really need the extra stuff. It is nice though.

Bebpo

Banned
So after five hours building my computer and lots going wrong (IO strip not fitting, coolmaster Evo screws having problems and taking like 2 hours to get the freaking cpu cooler on with worrying it would fuck up and take the cpu the whole time, bending the pins of the front USB 3.0 connector, etc...)

I got it to boot to bios but uh, it says there's no bootable drives attached. This is my first time using an SSD and I just connected a SATA3 strip from the motherboard to the SSD...do I need to do something else? It's pretty tiny so it's not like old HDD where you set the pins to master and such.

Thanks

Ronabo

You just have the one SATA3 cable attached? If so you need the Serial ATA power connector too.

serialataii03.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, shoot, I haven't used SATA much, been using IDE for a while and totally forgot how to do SATA power. Umm, I have plenty of SATA power cables to plug into devices, but nothing to plug the SATA power cables into on my power box, what do I plug the SATA power cables (not the side that goes into devices) into to power them?

knitoe

Yeah, shoot, I haven't used SATA much, been using IDE for a while and totally forgot how to do SATA power. Umm, I have plenty of SATA power cables to plug into devices, but nothing to plug the SATA power cables into on my power box, what do I plug the SATA power cables (not the side that goes into devices) into to power them?
Power cable comes from your power supply. The data cable connects the drive to the MB.

Thought this might be the right place to ask this:

Is there any way to use DSR while replicating the image on 2 screens? I've tried when having it both on an lcd monitor and a led tv/monitor, and it seems all downsampling options (both in nvidia control panel and in-game) disappear when trying to outsource the image to both at once. If I only have the image on 1 at a time, it works fine. (Probably a dumb question)

Ronabo

You should have this if it is a modular power supply.

1__11744_zoom.jpg

the one end with the clip will go into your power supply. The other ones are the SATA power ones for doing multiple drives on one cable.

Bebpo

Banned
It has 8 Sata power cables, but they're not connected to the supply, they came separate and I can't find anything coming out of the supply to plug into them to power them. That's the problem I'm having.

There's 4 cables coming from the box:

1) Motherboard cable -> to motherboard
1) 4x4 pin CPU 12v -> goes to motherboard
2) 6 x 2 PCI, one goes to my GPU, other is left open right now

The open 6x2 PCI won't plug into any of the SATA connectors so I don't know how to power them?

Bebpo

Banned
Oh wow, I'm dumb. You can plug things into the power supply! In my 30 years with computers I've never seen a power supply you could plug things into. They've just been closed boxes with a ton of cables coming out. Now everything's working!

Smokey

Oh wow, I'm dumb. You can plug things into the power supply! In my 30 years with computers I've never seen a power supply you could plug things into. They've just been closed boxes with a ton of cables coming out. Now everything's working!

haha

Bebpo

Banned
So the Phantak Enthoo case I'm using (the $90 one in the OP, not the Pro one that's $10 more) says for the case fans to work they have to be plugged into CPU_FAN on the motherboard and not the CPU_FAN 1/2/3/4.

But the heatsink goes into CPU_FAN and heatsink is really freaking important. I tried plugging the case fan system into CPU_FAN4 and nothing happens, they don't move at all.

What should I do? Is it cool to put the heatsink on a different connector from the motherboard? It's a short cable so I dunno if it'd even reach anywhere else.

I really dislike this case btw. The last case I had was screwless and it's really annoying going back to screws everyone when my old case just clicked and slid. Also it has weird stuff that's not explained in the manual and this whole cpu_fan thing is annoying me. Plus it's just insanely big and tough to fit in a desk setup. Otoh there's plenty of space and the cables are neatly tied up. I'll live with it for the next 4-5 years but next time I'm making sure I get another screwless case.

balohna

So I'm in the market for a motherboard, with some specific wants:

- i5 4430 compatible
- 4 DDR3 sockets
- one or more IDE ports (muh burner)
- surround output
- I don't care at all about on board video, and would almost prefer less here if it cuts down the price
-sub $200

Is there anything like this on the market? I think I've seen it all but no IDE and often there will be 2 RAM sockets and just the 3 standard audio ports. I get that IDE is old but would rather not shell out for a new drive just so I can rip a CD or watch a DVD once in a while.

Rafy

So the Phantak Enthoo case I'm using (the $90 one in the OP, not the Pro one that's $10 more) says for the case fans to work they have to be plugged into CPU_FAN on the motherboard and not the CPU_FAN 1/2/3/4.

But the heatsink goes into CPU_FAN and heatsink is really freaking important. I tried plugging the case fan system into CPU_FAN4 and nothing happens, they don't move at all.

What should I do? Is it cool to put the heatsink on a different connector from the motherboard? It's a short cable so I dunno if it'd even reach anywhere else.

I really dislike this case btw. The last case I had was screwless and it's really annoying going back to screws everyone when my old case just clicked and slid. Also it has weird stuff that's not explained in the manual and this whole cpu_fan thing is annoying me. Plus it's just insanely big and tough to fit in a desk setup. Otoh there's plenty of space and the cables are neatly tied up. I'll live with it for the next 4-5 years but next time I'm making sure I get another screwless case.

I have the same case. What the manual is referring to is the fan hub on the back of the mobo tray. You can completely ignore that. Plug in the heatsink where it needs to go then for the case fans, that are already connected to the hub, find another 4pin fan connector on your mobo and connect the fan hub to it. Simple as that.

The screws are there because this is an enthusiast case and can be literally be torn apart by unscrewing it. It was made to cater to modders and people that watercool.

Jindrax

For gaming of course,

Processor Intel i5 4430 €165
Motherboard Asus H97M-E €80
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01 €55
PS CX 500 V2 €65
GFX card MSI GTX 760 2GB €202
RAM Corsair Vengeance LP 8Gb €80
HDD WD Black 1TB €70

TOTAL: 717

I want to keep it around 700€

What do you guys think? Any recommendations?

jrush64

Banned
Hey guys so I need some help. I've read the OP and I'm having a hard time understanding things. I'll appreciate it if someone can please help.

I'm looking for a PC that can play The Sims 4 at the highest setting and maybe some new games at high settings. Including being able to play games like Skyward Sword at max settings on dolphin.

I want to have a dell xps case with the $800 gaming build on PC parts picker.

I just wanted to know if it's possible?

Unbreakable

Neo Member
Gaffers I'm in a bit of a pickle.
I've been using the Samsung SA700 120hz monitor for gaming, but after playing the PS4 on the 55' Sony W900 since last November, I just can't go back to gaming on my PC monitor which has terrible contrast.
So my question is if there exists or can anyone recommend a monitor with high refresh rate and good picture/contrast with preferably 1440p res. I guess what I'm describing is probably a VA panel monitor.. Are there any good ones coming out, apart from the foriz eizo.
Before anyone suggests hooking the W900 to my PC, that just can't be done with my current setup.

Bebpo

Banned
I have the same case. What the manual is referring to is the fan hub on the back of the mobo tray. You can completely ignore that. Plug in the heatsink where it needs to go then for the case fans, that are already connected to the hub, find another 4pin fan connector on your mobo and connect the fan hub to it. Simple as that.

The screws are there because this is an enthusiast case and can be literally be torn apart by unscrewing it. It was made to cater to modders and people that watercool.

Ah, thanks!

After the fan recommendations I ended up getting the Alpenfohn Wing Burst 2 off overclockers as they were going for about £7 each for pwm versions, which is quite a bit cheaper than most of the other recommended fans here.

Installed them last night and am really impressed. Made a huge difference to my case noise, at idle at least, and the rubber case mounts are excellent for vibration reduction. No clicking evident at 600rpm pwm either.

I'll stress test at the weekend and hopefully they perform as well at full speed.

Addnan

G3258 4.5 on stock cooler with 1.25v staying under 80C in a cm elite 120 that looks like it has zero space to breathe. Quite impressive.

LordAlu

For gaming of course,

Processor Intel i5 4430 €165
Motherboard Asus H97M-E €80
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01 €55
PS CX 500 V2 €65
GFX card MSI GTX 760 2GB €202
RAM Corsair Vengeance LP 8Gb €80
HDD WD Black 1TB €70

TOTAL: 717

I want to keep it around 700€

What do you guys think? Any recommendations?
Reasonable. What country are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom