• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a wireless Sensei, Razor, or Logitech mouse? Thinking of getting a new mouse to replace my wonderful G5 and was wondering if wireless was finally feasible.

MoonGred

Anyone have a wireless Sensei, Razor, or Logitech mouse? Thinking of getting a new mouse to replace my wonderful G5 and was wondering if wireless was finally feasible.

I bought a razor ouroboros when it was cheap not too long ago. It does everything that my old logitech mouse did. I've yet to have any issues with it. Bear in mind I don't play competitive games on a serious level. I'm just as good/bad at cs go with this mouse.
My biggest gripe however is that sometimes the mouse doesn't power of when I turn my pc off, leaving me with a drained battery. You get a long usb cable with it and the battery life is surprisingly good for me.

Smokey

Cross posting from B/S/T thread:

***WTS EVGA Superclock Geforce Titan BLACK***

Will throw in a unused back plate as well. Paypal payment. Continental US. I have sold multiple GPUs to GAFers over the years:

Price: $525

Don't have a pic of a Black by itself, but so basically one of these guys :p

15382954376_36387f313d_c.jpg

***WTS Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor***

15640794922_ebd0a3f3f3_c.jpg

Price: $450

MoonGred

Will throw in a unused back plate as well. Paypal payment. Continental US. I have sold multiple GPUs to GAFers over the years:

That titan black price looks so appealing.

What monitor do you use as your daily btw?

Soodanim

What sort of temperature increase would a GPU OC usually give? My stock Galax 970 EX OC hit 71 last night when I tried Sleeping Dogs and I don't know how safe it would be to push it.

MoonGred

What sort of temperature increase would a GPU OC usually give? My stock Galax 970 EX OC hit 71 last night when I tried Sleeping Dogs and I don't know how safe it would be to push it.

Edit: reread your question. It depends on how you overclock. I don't see an increase if I just change the clock speed/memory, you could push your card a bit further by upping the voltage and that's when you start seeing temp increase.
I'd just play around with the latter to begin with.

LilJoka

71c is nothing, its 80c when nVidia default thermal limit starts dropping boost clocks. And on the 7 series that could be raised to 95c.

Just increasing clocks can have a small temp impact, but increasing voltage and clocks together will have the biggest effect.

Find a good setting that maximises efficiency, usually that is highest stable clocks close to stock voltage or even at stock voltage.

So I took all your advice and well.... after a days deliberation I scrapped it all to chase a red and black theme....

It's about a week till I can place this order so yeah....Watch me change again.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular
Extra Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan

Fully modular PSU I'm told suits the case better and that was the cheapest I could see (UK)

Kezen

Banned
So I took all your advice and well.... after a days deliberation I scrapped it all to chase a red and black theme....

It's about a week till I can place this order so yeah....Watch me change again.

I would advise you to opt for an I7 instead. There will be multiplatform games which will benefit from more cores and DX12 will make it easier for developers to use them.

bro1

Banned

Whaa??!! Why Smokey? Why are you doing this??

bro1

Banned
Looking for the smallest case to fit the following:
ATX mobo
Corsair H100i CLWC
2X GTX 780 TI
AXi1200 PSU
3xSSD
1xOD

Looking for a case that can be use either under a monitor or in a Home Theater Rack.

Smokey

Whaa??!! Why Smokey? Why are you doing this??

Just making moves. I haven't really really played on the PC in a while. I've ran BF4 to the ground. With Master Chief Collection hitting in two weeks it's literally the only new game I need this year and for some time going forward. I won't play much else. I'm just reducing the overkill from ridiculous to slight :p

Now someone take me up on my great offer. Enjoy 6GB VRAM and be worry free for less than a 980!

xBladeM6x

Just making moves. I haven't really really played on the PC in a while. I've ran BF4 to the ground. With Master Chief Collection hitting in two weeks it's literally the only new game I need this year and for some time going forward. I won't play much else. I'm just reducing the overkill from ridiculous to slight :p

Now someone take me up on my great offer.

xgL4eSV.gif

bro1

Banned

It was never over kill, it was just right....You were my aspiration....you were my everything

I would pick up the mantle but I am just rocking the 2x GTX 780 TI SLI and my mobo can't handle a third.

kennah

Can I pay in installments :p

Fuck this is a good deal

Godan

So I think my GPU may be overheating and casueing my PC to restart. This only happens when I play game though.

I currantly have a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 but about a month ago when I would play a game now and then it would restart my computer. I noticed that heat was coming off the card when this happend but the fan speed would never change. It's only when I have the EVGA software you get with it open that I can hear the fan speed change. I have now set this software to startup when I turn my computer on in the hopes that this may fix my problem.

bro1

Banned
the little screw that holds my Gtx 780 ti to the case bracket has fallen out. I've reatched it using a different screw that doesn't fit 100%. any danger in this?

Vhalyar

Question question about the GTX 970: Is there any noteworthy difference between the Gigabyte and the ASUS Strix?

I have a Bitfenix Phenom case, so if there's not much of a difference I'd lean on the ASUS due to it being smaller.

Stat!

Building a new computer for my Dad. He won't overclock. He won't play games (or very little). He'll listen to music, do work (he'll be looking at images but not editing them), internet, and movies.

He basically is using a 10 year old computer and wants top of the line (more or less). I want something super fast but also super reliable for him as well. Any and all thoughts would be great. We are in Canada.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($358.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.07 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.66 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($223.89 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1045.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-27 11:20 EDT-0400

Cruz

Neo Member
I need Gaf's help, I want to have a high end pc and my budget is around 1,500, I don't want to build one due to the fear and luck i have of screwing something up. So I went to Microcenter and told them what i want and this is what they got. Any suggestions or things to avoid or to add? What do you guys think please![

URL=http://imgur.com/xWhTCo0]
xWhTCo0.jpg
[/URL]

xBladeM6x

How long can someone expect a good SSD to last? I know it's based on read / writes, but still figured I'd ask how many years I can expect. Lol

hoserx

How long can someone expect a good SSD to last? I know it's based on read / writes, but still figured I'd ask how many years I can expect. Lol

I've been running my system off of an x25-m 80 gb Intel SSD for nearly 5 years now... I have other SSD in my system but I have kept windows / etc on this drive (through a couple formats). So basically, it has been through the ringer and still rocks pretty hard.

xBladeM6x

I've been running my system off of an x25-m 80 gb Intel SSD for nearly 5 years now... I have other SSD in my system but I have kept windows / etc on this drive (through a couple formats). So basically, it has been through the ringer and still rocks pretty hard.

Oh wow. I was looking at getting the extremely overpowered 850 Pro for windows / a couple games on it, and the rest on an HDD.

LordAlu

I need Gaf's help, I want to have a high end pc and my budget is around 1,500, I don't want to build one due to the fear and luck i have of screwing something up. So I went to Microcenter and told them what i want and this is what they got. Any suggestions or things to avoid or to add? What do you guys think please![

xWhTCo0.jpg
[/URL]
If it was me I would:
  • Drop the DVD drive.
  • Change Windows 7 Pro for standard Windows 8.1.
  • Change that Corsair CX700M PSU for something lower wattage and better quality.
  • Put a CM Hyper 212 EVO in there.
Otherwise it's not a bad list at all.

paskowitz

xWhTCo0.jpg
[/URL]

If it was me I would:
  • Drop the DVD drive.
  • Change that Corsair CX700M PSU for something lower wattage and better quality.

Agreed. Get a Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU cooler. Ditch the DVD drive. Get your OS through Reddit's /Softwareswap (~$20 for W8.1) and bring the ISO and product key to Microcenter on a USB drive.

I have a GTX980 w/4670k (both OC'd) and I only need 650w PSU. Get a 650w Gold rated PSU.

I would also ask yourself what you are using your computer for. If it is primarily gaming, you really do not "need" an i7 or 16gb of ram. i5 (4690k) and 8gb of ram will do just fin 99% of the time. If you plan on doing stuff like video editing or any other creative task, then stay with the i7 CPU and 16gb ram.

Also, if possible, you really do not need Microcenter to install anything other than the motherboard into the case, and maybe the wiring of the PSU cables. Hard drives and RAM are pretty much plug and play. You run very little risk messing something up doing those yourself.

Newegg's YouTube channel has great guides for PC assembly. I knew NOTHING about PC's and I built my first desktop using their videos. I will admit it was not what I would call "simple" but if you are methodical, follow the instructions and do everything slowly you will be fine. Just an option if you are feeling brave.

Cruz

Neo Member
If it was me I would:
  • Drop the DVD drive.

So no DVD Drive at all and any recommend on something other than the Corsair ( also thanks i thought i would be doing myself a favor by not using windows 8.1)

If it was me I would:
  • Drop the DVD drive.

Also, I'm not sure but that might be the reference version of the 970... you'll want a non-reference card, Cruz.

paskowitz

Also, I'm not sure but that might be the reference version of the 970... you'll want a non-reference card, Cruz.

I agree. MSI Twin Frozr or Gigabyte Windforce. If you can find them online... and are willing to install them yourself.

Also, you may want to wait until Blackfriday to start your buying process. It is not inconceivable you could save $100-200.

Cruz

Neo Member
Agreed. Get a Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU cooler. Ditch the DVD drive. Get your OS through Reddit's /Softwareswap (~$20 for W8.1) and bring the ISO and product key to Microcenter on a USB drive.

I have a GTX980 w/4670k (both OC'd) and I only need 650w PSU. Get a 650w Gold rated PSU.

I would also ask yourself what you are using your computer for. If it is primarily gaming, you really do not "need" an i7 or 16gb of ram. i5 (4690k) and 8gb of ram will do just fin 99% of the time. If you plan on doing stuff like video editing or any other creative task, then stay with the i7 CPU and 16gb ram.

Also, if possible, you really do not need Microcenter to install anything other than the motherboard into the case, and maybe the wiring of the PSU cables. Hard drives and RAM are pretty much plug and play. You run very little risk messing something up doing those yourself.

Newegg's YouTube channel has great guides for PC assembly. I knew NOTHING about PC's and I built my first desktop using their videos. I will admit it was not what I would call "simple" but if you are methodical, follow the instructions and do everything slowly you will be fine. Just an option if you are feeling brave.

Thank You for the info for the OS will check out and i will do more research, am trying to eventually get 4k gaming and slowly get into editing videos, and other hobbies i find, I just tend to be the person who wants the best at times and how things are going financially for myself i want to treat myself and not worry about a computer down the road

paskowitz

Thank You for the info for the OS will check out and i will do more research, am trying to eventually get 4k gaming and slowly get into editing videos, and other hobbies i find, I just tend to be the person who wants the best at times and how things are going financially for myself i want to treat myself and not worry about a computer down the road

No problem. With that in mind... I would stick with the i7 but sill drop to 1 stick of 8gb of ram. You can always get another stick once the need arises.

If you want to game in 4K you may want to consider a GTX980. The 970 is not strong enough for 4k and SLI is hit or miss with games. If you plan on doing SLI in the future, you will also need a much strong PSU (~800w+). Both of those will push you over $1,500, especially if you stick with Microcenter.

Just personal opinion, 4K is not worth it, nor are we "there yet" in terms of affordable GPU power at 4K. 1440P at 120fps is much more attractive and obtainable IMO. 4K is great if you have a 60 inch plus TV... but otherwise... eh.

Rookie question "non-reference card "?

Reference:

Non reference:

Basically Nvidia/AMD's stock design vs manufacturer (MSI, EVGA, etc) modified design (better cooling, different circuitry arrangement, etc).

JudgeN

Got a question, anyone know the max volts I can give a i7 5820k for 24/7 use? I think i got the worst chip in history as it takes 1.4v to hit 4.3 GHZ stable. It could be my motherboard though as the GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 has a known shit bios right now. Its a shame I was hoping to get to 4.5GHZ but I would imagine the difference is like 1 frame so its probably not a big deal.

I upgraded from an i7 920 @ 4.ghz.

Cruz

Neo Member
No problem. With that in mind... I would stick with the i7 but sill drop to 1 stick of 8gb of ram. You can always get another stick once the need arises.

If you want to game in 4K you may want to consider a GTX980. The 970 is not strong enough for 4k and SLI is hit or miss with games. If you plan on doing SLI in the future, you will also need a much strong PSU (~800w+). Both of those will push you over $1,500, especially if you stick with Microcenter.

Just personal opinion, 4K is not worth it, nor are we "there yet" in terms of affordable GPU power at 4K. 1440P at 120fps is much more attractive and obtainable IMO. 4K is great if you have a 60 inch plus TV... but otherwise... eh.

Reference:

Non reference:

Basically Nvidia/AMD's stock design vs manufacturer (MSI, EVGA, etc) modified design (better cooling, different circuitry arrangement, etc).

Ok will look into getting a non referenced card if its that much of a issue or need and yes your right about 4k then ( i can always add on down the road on this machine i think ?)but i will be getting a 50-55 inch sony led tv (120hz but 1080) but will get a side smaller acer monitor , but is the video am getting going to get 1440P at 120fps easily on most games? thanks for all the info too much help man !

knitoe

Ok will look into getting a non referenced card if its that much of a issue or need and yes your right about 4k then ( i can always add on down the road on this machine i think ?)but i will be getting a 50-55 inch sony led tv (120hz but 1080) but will get a side smaller acer monitor , but is the video am getting going to get 1440P at 120fps easily on most games? thanks for all the info too much help man !
With 4K and 1440p, you need SLI / CF to maintain good fps using high / max settings. It's actually more easy to get 4K@60fps vs 1440p@144fps. Now, 1080p is definitely doable on one card.

Chojka

The 290mm seems way off to be honest. I haven't seen the case in real life but it looks likes there's a lot more room.

Anyone else having any recommendations for small form factor cases that would fit a Gigabyte 970?

The Air 240 is an amazing case. I can take some pictures of the install if you like.

I did an mITX build with a Node 304 and GTX 760 for my dad a few months back and though I loved the challenge of getting it all together and getting it to run super quiet, I like this build much better. The seperator chambers allow for such a clean install.

Have you considered Haswell-E? The 5820k at microcenter is only $20 more than the 4790k. You'd have to get DDR4 instead of DDR3, but it would be more future proof. You mentioned video editing and wanting to treat yourself, so Haswell-E might be something to look at.

jfoul

I received my ASUS 970 Strix today. Installed without a hitch, and the 0dB mode works as advertised. The ASIC quality is 83.9%, which is the highest of any GPU I've owned.

I listened for the coil whine with two case fans running in silent mode. The Strix does have like a ticking coil whine during Metro LL, Valley Bench and Furmark. It's pretty noticeable if my ear is 6 inches or less from the card. I can't really hear it beyond one foot of the card, with my head at case level.

My EVGA 780 SC ACX didn't have coil whine in this same setup. I will hold onto the Strix for a couple days before deciding on a return. If I do, I might go with the EVGA 970 FTW.

Crossposted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom