• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a new computer for my Dad. He won't overclock. He won't play games (or very little). He'll listen to music, do work (he'll be looking at images but not editing them), internet, and movies.

He basically is using a 10 year old computer and wants top of the line (more or less). I want something super fast but also super reliable for him as well. Any and all thoughts would be great. We are in Canada.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($358.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.07 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.66 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($223.89 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1045.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-27 11:20 EDT-0400

Looks pretty good though I think you could probably save a ~100 bucks by using a 4690K, or even a 4690 no K if your 100% sure he'll never OC (personally I'd stick the the K and leave OCIng as an option down the road when the computer starts to age). I'd also drop the sound card, on board sound is fine for your purposes. I think you made the right choice sticking with the intel onchip video, should be fine given this use case. Lastly, I personally would probably go with a more established brand than A-data for RAM, my only experience with them is for flash drives and thumbsticks.

kennah

Building a new computer for my Dad. He won't overclock. He won't play games (or very little). He'll listen to music, do work (he'll be looking at images but not editing them), internet, and movies.

He basically is using a 10 year old computer and wants top of the line (more or less). I want something super fast but also super reliable for him as well. Any and all thoughts would be great. We are in Canada.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/VVVxVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($358.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.07 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.66 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($223.89 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1045.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-27 11:20 EDT-0400
If you're just going for a computer with no GPU and an SSD why not go small form factor? You're going to have a hell of a lot of wasted space in that case.

Stat!

Looks pretty good though I think you could probably save a ~100 bucks by using a 4690K, or even a 4690 no K if your 100% sure he'll never OC (personally I'd stick the the K and leave OCIng as an option down the road when the computer starts to age). I'd also drop the sound card, on board sound is fine for your purposes. I think you made the right choice sticking with the intel onchip video, should be fine given this use case. Lastly, I personally would probably go with a more established brand than A-data for RAM, my only experience with them is for flash drives and thumbsticks.

He's a big audiophile which is why I figured the sound card. Who should I go for RAM?

This work? http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl

Is the $100 difference just not worth the speed? He wants something super fast and doesn't mind spending the money if it means he upgrades in 5 years and not 4.

MoonGred

The Air 240 is an amazing case. I can take some pictures of the install if you like.

I did an mITX build with a Node 304 and GTX 760 for my dad a few months back and though I loved the challenge of getting it all together and getting it to run super quiet, I like this build much better. The seperator chambers allow for such a clean install.

If you can that would be great. I've been eyeing off a h100i as well, the fact that it fits makes it the cherry on top.

Uzny

My new PC arrived! To quote myself, here are the specs:

And here it is in all of its glory

ib6VWcq3LlMeb.png

This thread has been a godsend, special thanks to Hazo for that op. I've been overclocking using some guides today, got my 4690k to 4,5ghz and 970 to ~1500 Mhz boost (doing 13700 graphics score in 3d mark fire strike, will try to push for more tomorrow). Now on to some games :)

Stat!

If you're just going for a computer with no GPU and an SSD why not go small form factor? You're going to have a hell of a lot of wasted space in that case.

So what would you recommend? I want something super fast (price isn't an issue but probably something not more than $1500). Super reliable and easy to build. I'd like to keep the CPU, and the sound card. I'm in Canada.

kennah

So what would you recommend? I want something super fast (price isn't an issue but probably something not more than $1500). Super reliable and easy to build. I'd like to keep the CPU, and the sound card. I'm in Canada.

The sound card is pointless. Onboard has made huge huge strides in the last few years. You really only need one if you're going to be using it with multi hundred dollar headphones or multi thousand dollar stereo systems. As well, you can just try with the onboard first and if he doesn't like it add a sound card later.

Take a look at the cases in Post number 3 of this thread and see if you like the look of any of them. There are recommended builds there.

Cruz

Neo Member
Have you considered Haswell-E? The 5820k at microcenter is only $20 more than the 4790k. You'd have to get DDR4 instead of DDR3, but it would be more future proof. You mentioned video editing and wanting to treat yourself, so Haswell-E might be something to look at.

Thanks dude for the info !

I'm going to reuse my cpu cooler how do I clean it?

You mean cleaning off thermal paste? I'm guessing isopropyl alcohol but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Unless you mean dust, in which case just compressed air.

Is this a decent place to ask questions about monitors or is there a more fitting thread for such questions?
This thread is fine, though if you have a question specific to 144hz displays there's always this other thread.

No, my iiyama monitor died today as it refuses to show any image (including the tv settings menu), despite still receiving signals from several of my connected machines.

I've tried everything I could think of and nothing has worked, but the issue is that I need a new monitor fast and am unfortunately in a bit of a tight spot. I only have a budget of $250 at the moment and am just looking for a 1080/60 monitor for gaming. More specifically looking for the best possible monitor in terms of IQ and low input lag for that price. I'm not expecting much due to that budget, but I'll take whatever I can get. I might go for something better later, but I have no time to wait right now.

Ah yeah, sounds like it's dead. Check the OP for some monitor suggestions.

Leckan

Agreed. Get a Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU cooler. Ditch the DVD drive. Get your OS through Reddit's /Softwareswap (~$20 for W8.1) and bring the ISO and product key to Microcenter on a USB drive..

Softwareswap don't allow sales of Windows keys anymore. You can buy them at G2a r/microsoftsoftwareswap but but there are multiple reports of users claiming Microsoft have banned keys even after activation since those keys were never meant to be sold.

As far as I know there aren't any safe ways of getting cheap Windows keys from third-parties for unfortunately. Do so at your own risk.

georgc

Sup Gaf I'm going to put together mini ITX build and I'm wondering what's the best CPU cooling I can do. Any help would be awesome thanks

Moobabe

At my wit's end here.

So - I'd been getting numerous BSOD over the past year - almost all of them were "atikmdag.sys" or "atikmpag.sys." I was due an upgrade on my card anyway - so I have done; an ATI R9 280.

I'm still having errors - specifically when I'm playing games (though right now as I look at the screen there's fine lines running across it (which don't exist if I uninstall all ATI drivers and boot in safe mode.)

I've run Who Crashed and it's flagging up both the errors I've posted at the top. Googling simply suggests uninstalling the drivers, removing all ATI programmes and reinstalling drivers, which I've done.

I need help GAF, what do I do?

LilJoka

At my wit's end here.

So - I'd been getting numerous BSOD over the past year - almost all of them were "atikmdag.sys" or "atikmpag.sys." I was due an upgrade on my card anyway - so I have done; an ATI R9 280.

I'm still having errors - specifically when I'm playing games (though right now as I look at the screen there's fine lines running across it (which don't exist if I uninstall all ATI drivers and boot in safe mode.)

I've run Who Crashed and it's flagging up both the errors I've posted at the top. Googling simply suggests uninstalling the drivers, removing all ATI programmes and reinstalling drivers, which I've done.

I need help GAF, what do I do?

Try Display Driver Uninstaller.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, quick question here. The last time I came on this thread about a month or so ago I was recommended the build below as I was trying to stay underneath $800. I plan to buy most of these parts during Black Friday but I wanted to see if anyone would recommend any changes to this build before then? I know some new nVidia cards were released but I'm not sure that they fit into my budget, so for all I know this build is still the one I should go with. Either way I just wanted to check in here to be sure before I start dropping cash on these parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $798.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 10:49 EDT-0400

jrush64

Banned
Hey gaf, so this is my final build. Very ready to order, just need final confirmation.

GTX 970 has been ordered.

About to order:

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory for Mac CT2C8G3S160BM

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

BitFenix No Power Supply MicroATX Tower Case BFC-PRM-300-WWXKW-RP (Bitfenix Prodigy M)

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

I also added some thermal paste.

Is my choice of power supply and cooler good enough?

paskowitz

Ok will look into getting a non referenced card if its that much of a issue or need and yes your right about 4k then ( i can always add on down the road on this machine i think ?)but i will be getting a 50-55 inch sony led tv (120hz but 1080) but will get a side smaller acer monitor , but is the video am getting going to get 1440P at 120fps easily on most games? thanks for all the info too much help man !

No problem. Since your TV is 1080p/120hz you will not be at 1440p (unless your side monitor has that spec). The 970 overclocked should be enough for "most" games at 1080p/120hz. You may not be able to max every title (Crysis 3, Watch Dogs, Witcher 2, etc) but you should be able to run at least high settings.

With 4K and 1440p, you need SLI / CF to maintain good fps using high / max settings. It's actually more easy to get 4K@60fps vs 1440p@144fps. Now, 1080p is definitely doable on one card.

I test my 980 with DSR (~1440p@144fps) and it runs most games at max and a few at high (minimal AA). I guess a 970 may struggle a bit more.

Softwareswap don't allow sales of Windows keys anymore. You can buy them at G2a r/microsoftsoftwareswap but but there are multiple reports of users claiming Microsoft have banned keys even after activation since those keys were never meant to be sold.

As far as I know there aren't any safe ways of getting cheap Windows keys from third-parties for unfortunately. Do so at your own risk.

I did not know that... that is unfortunate. My copies of W8.1, W7, and Server 2008 are all still working. Good to know though.

Strazyplus

I been really interested in the steam machines for a while now, and my home has a good wifi router and I really like to stream my PC to the TV in the living room though Wifi. I heard there was going to be a cheap steam machine that was created to do that just stream to the TV in the living room while your PC does all the work.

I have been looking for something such as this and have not found anything or yet barely and I now wonder does anyone else stream to their TV, does anyone know a easier as well cheaper way to achieve this?

The Llama

Just wondering, where'd ya see this?

SugarDave

Struggling to decide between the i5 4690K and i7 4790K. Gaming will the primary use of my build but I am interested in possibly dabbling in making videos and stuff like webm's. Just from looking around, it seems like the biggest difference between them is stuff like rendering times (in which the i5 doesn't appear to be a slouch anyway). I do have the money to spare for the i7 if it's a better long term purchase, but I'm not really sure.

About that software swap subreddit, can I use it if I'm in the UK? How does it work exactly? I pay them through PayPal, they send me a license key and a download link and that's it?

ekgrey

So I took all your advice and well.... after a days deliberation I scrapped it all to chase a red and black theme....

It's about a week till I can place this order so yeah....Watch me change again.

hey, i just built in an H440 and honestly i think the process would have been easier with a non-modular (or maybe just semi-modular) PSU. once it's installed it's so far back in its own little cove thing that hooking up cables for every component was actually the hardest part of the build. coming from an Air 240 where the PSU was super easy to access (yet still hidden from sight for aesthetics) it was massively annoying.

food for thought. it's a great case, BTW. so much bigger than i need (or would, if ASUS didn't make stupidly wide GPUs) but still pretty sleek.

edit: also, Smokey, i hate you. why couldn't you have posted those a week ago, huh? when i was still shopping for both a GPU and a monitor? ugh. >:[

ekgrey

Struggling to decide between the i5 4690K and i7 4790K. Gaming will the primary use of my build but I am interested in possibly dabbling in making videos and stuff like webm's. Just from looking around, it seems like the biggest difference between them is stuff like rendering times (in which the i5 doesn't appear to be a slouch anyway). I do have the money to spare for the i7 if it's a better long term purchase, but I'm not really sure.

About that software swap subreddit, can I use it if I'm in the UK? How does it work exactly? I pay them through PayPal, they send me a license key and a download link and that's it?

i don't think Windows keys are region locked so yes. they don't send you a download link, though. you can legit download an ISO from Microsoft's site anyway. you just need to input the key while making your USB boot drive. eezee-peezee

LordAlu

Hey gaf, so this is my final build. Very ready to order, just need final confirmation.

GTX 970 has been ordered.

About to order:

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory for Mac CT2C8G3S160BM

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

BitFenix No Power Supply MicroATX Tower Case BFC-PRM-300-WWXKW-RP (Bitfenix Prodigy M)

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

I also added some thermal paste.

Is my choice of power supply and cooler good enough?
Cooler is fine, power supply is okay at best, though I'm more concerned about the laptop RAM?

paskowitz

I been really interested in the steam machines for a while now, and my home has a good wifi router and I really like to stream my PC to the TV in the living room though Wifi. I heard there was going to be a cheap steam machine that was created to do that just stream to the TV in the living room while your PC does all the work.

I have been looking for something such as this and have not found anything or yet barely and I now wonder does anyone else stream to their TV, does anyone know a easier as well cheaper way to achieve this?

A very long HDMI cable.

knitoe

I test my 980 with DSR (~1440p@144fps) and it runs most games at max and a few at high (minimal AA). I guess a 970 may struggle a bit more.
I am sure it may run "most" games at 1440p@144fps at max, but when people get a new highend cards, they want to know how it runs new games. Doubtful, it's getting that with Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, NBA2K15, Ryse, Metro Redux and etc. with just one card. I know my SLI Titans setup couldn't.

paskowitz

I am sure it may run "most" games at 1440p@144fps at max, but when people get a new highend cards, they want to know how it runs new games. Doubtful, it's getting that with Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, NBA2K15, Ryse, Metro Redux and etc. with just one card. I know my SLI Titans setup couldn't.

I can only speak for SOM, and yeah no it doesn't. With the settings on high and no AA it is relatively stable. pCARS is a good example though. 1440p and 144fps with FXAA low and a setting or two turned down is doable (just one car though and no weather).

jfoul

Coil whine on my Strix 970 ended up being much worse after going through some games. This is a video of the noise produced while running Witcher 2, and can be easily heard 12 feet away from the desktop. Card is being sent back to Newegg tomorrow for an exchange. They sent me a return label for free and upgraded it to priority shipping. They told me I can exchange for another manufacturer if the new card also has coil whine. It's a shame, this card has an ASIC quality of 83.9%.

One thing that really sucked about the P67 chipset is that it was the last mainstream chipset that didn't support integrated video. I can't use my desktop until EVGA sends me the replacement card.

appaws

Banned
Hey guys, quick question here. The last time I came on this thread about a month or so ago I was recommended the build below as I was trying to stay underneath $800. I plan to buy most of these parts during Black Friday but I wanted to see if anyone would recommend any changes to this build before then? I know some new nVidia cards were released but I'm not sure that they fit into my budget, so for all I know this build is still the one I should go with. Either way I just wanted to check in here to be sure before I start dropping cash on these parts.

Looks good to me. Yeah, the new Nvidia cards are the choice at $300+, but at your range you should probably stay with AMD.

I am looking, and I think you can get an MSI Twin Frozr 280 for 156 right now with a Promo Code and a rebate (at Newegg). You could use that money to get an NZXT S340....a new and much better case than that Corsair 200R.

hey, i just built in an H440 and honestly i think the process would have been easier with a non-modular (or maybe just semi-modular) PSU. once it's installed it's so far back in its own little cove thing that hooking up cables for every component was actually the hardest part of the build. coming from an Air 240 where the PSU was super easy to access (yet still hidden from sight for aesthetics) it was massively annoying.

food for thought. it's a great case, BTW. so much bigger than i need (or would, if ASUS didn't make stupidly wide GPUs) but still pretty sleek.

:[

Wow. Would have thought it be easier with a fully modular psu with the 440.

How wrong am I.

Cheers for the advice. I'll revisit my PSU

I am troubleshooting my neighbor's dell dimension 5100 pc. Doesn't power on, mobo light still green but I am assuming its the psu. Now I am looking for a replacement psu. the psu model is l305n-00

Is this gonna be okay? Trying to keep cost down for them since its a pc on its way out for them but they would like to ride it another couple months

or is there a replacement from newegg that someone could recommend. Looks like I'll need right angle sata connectors

Cruz

Neo Member
I can only speak for SOM, and yeah no it doesn't. With the settings on high and no AA it is relatively stable. pCARS is a good example though. 1440p and 144fps with FXAA low and a setting or two turned down is doable (just one car though and no weather).

^^^

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good to me. Yeah, the new Nvidia cards are the choice at $300+, but at your range you should probably stay with AMD.

I am looking, and I think you can get an MSI Twin Frozr 280 for 156 right now with a Promo Code and a rebate (at Newegg). You could use that money to get an NZXT S340....a new and much better case than that Corsair 200R.

Ooh interesting. Do you happen to have the promo code, or a link to where I can find it? And would this be cheaper than waiting until Black Friday to pick it up on sale?

Also I'm not really familiar with cases - why is the NZXT S340 better than the Corsair 200R?

I had recently replaced the fan on my CM hyper 212 Evo, and I've now noticed how every so often the new fan will start making a irritating rattling noise. However If I slightly touch the fan, the rattling noise stops.
I realized that the cause of the noise is from not having these rubber pads on:

I ended up throwing the old rubber pads away when I had replaced the old fan. (They no longer would stick, and I had nothing to use to keep them in place.) Does anyone here know of a place where I can buy these type of rubber pads?

Out of curiosity I have a new job that requires me to travel quite a bit. Any recommendations on gaming/desktop replacement "laptops" I know I'll be paying out the ass for 2-3 years of life. But I won't be near my battle-station often enough for a while to use it.

appaws

Banned
Ooh interesting. Do you happen to have the promo code, or a link to where I can find it? And would this be cheaper than waiting until Black Friday to pick it up on sale?

Also I'm not really familiar with cases - why is the NZXT S340 better than the Corsair 200R?

Here is the card for 169.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127789&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-127-789-_-Product

That is a really good deal. Then there is this promo code:

+ 7% off w/ promo code PPSUSDFS8, ends 10/28

So that should work out to $156

The S340 is one of the better budget friendly cases I have seen come out in a while. It's gotten great reviews from the major players. I think it is MUCH better than that low-end Corsair. (Not that there is anything wrong with Corsair, I have an Air 540 myself.)

Check out this video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNWOgbEXMI

or this one by TTL from OC3d:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqRc64yqM8

RGM79

I am troubleshooting my neighbor's dell dimension 5100 pc. Doesn't power on, mobo light still green but I am assuming its the psu. Now I am looking for a replacement psu. the psu model is l305n-00

Is this gonna be okay? Trying to keep cost down for them since its a pc on its way out for them but they would like to ride it another couple months

or is there a replacement from newegg that someone could recommend. Looks like I'll need right angle sata connectors
From a cursory search, the Dimension 5100 doesn't seem to have a proprietary power supply, so any decent 300 watt ATX power should do. Check craigslist if you need something cheap and temporary.

I had recently replaced the fan on my CM hyper 212 Evo, and I've now noticed how every so often the new fan will start making a irritating rattling noise. However If I slightly touch the fan, the rattling noise stops.
I realized that the cause of the noise is from not having these rubber pads on:

I ended up throwing the old rubber pads away when I had replaced the old fan. (They no longer would stick, and I had nothing to use to keep them in place.) Does anyone here know of a place where I can buy these type of rubber pads?

On the cheap? Check dollar stores, or stretch wide rubber bands around to cover the spots where the pads would go. You could try contacting Cooler Master support, they may be able to get you accessories if it's still under warranty support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom