• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricki42

I had recently replaced the fan on my CM hyper 212 Evo, and I've now noticed how every so often the new fan will start making a irritating rattling noise. However If I slightly touch the fan, the rattling noise stops.
I realized that the cause of the noise is from not having these rubber pads on:

I ended up throwing the old rubber pads away when I had replaced the old fan. (They no longer would stick, and I had nothing to use to keep them in place.) Does anyone here know of a place where I can buy these type of rubber pads?

The cooler comes with a second set of mounting brackets and rubber pads. If you didn't mount a second fan, you could use those if you still have them.

garath

Out of curiosity I have a new job that requires me to travel quite a bit. Any recommendations on gaming/desktop replacement "laptops" I know I'll be paying out the ass for 2-3 years of life. But I won't be near my battle-station often enough for a while to use it.

I've always heard good things about MSI laptops when it comes to gaming.

h#shdem0n

I'm bummed at how quickly my 660 Ti has aged, but I kind of expected it due to the time I bought it (right before the announcement of next gen consoles).

I want the next graphics card I buy to have longer legs, even if it means waiting another year. Do you guys think the 900 series successor will let me play PS4 ports with at least PS4 performance? I will be gaming at 1080p and frame rate only bothers me when there is noticeable slowdown/skipped frames (ie: I'm not of those 60+ fps or bust fanatics). I am tempted to get a mid range 900 card, but I don't want to be in this situation again in 2 years.

Edit: I know these cards blow away PS4 specs, and I guess I realistically want > PS4 performance, not equal to. I want to be able to play games coming out in 2016 and beyond, maybe not at ultra everything, but at least the high res textures... I wanted to cry when Watch Dogs hi res textures made my PC choke.

I don't know if you guys know this, but Microcenter has a sweet bundle on the overclockable pentium. I'm thinking of picking it up and if I need more cores I can just upgrade later, anyone have expirence with these parts and gaming? Seems like the Pentium Aniversery Edition is pretty good for games.

appaws

Banned
I'm bummed at how quickly my 660 Ti has aged, but I kind of expected it due to the time I bought it (right before the announcement of next gen consoles).

I want the next graphics card I buy to have longer legs, even if it means waiting another year. Do you guys think the 900 series successor will let me play PS4 ports with at least PS4 performance? I will be gaming at 1080p and frame rate only bothers me when there is noticeable slowdown/skipped frames (ie: I'm not of those 60+ fps or bust fanatics). I am tempted to get a mid range 900 card, but I don't want to be in this situation again in 2 years.

Nobody can promise you anything as far as computer hardware 2 years down the road. Remember the 660ti was not high-end hardware even when it came out....

For what you are describing I would go buy a 970 and enjoy it. It's not like it is hard to duplicate (and far exceed) PS4 performance.

But over the next few years we are going to continue to see improvements in GPU performance, especially as 2560x1440, 4K displays, etc. penetrate the market and we all need the horsepower to drive them.

I don't know if you guys know this, but Microcenter has a sweet bundle on the overclockable pentium. I'm thinking of picking it up and if I need more cores I can just upgrade later, anyone have expirence with these parts and gaming? Seems like the Pentium Aniversery Edition is pretty good for games.

Yep, I'm pretty sure they've had that bundle ever since the processor was released. Great deal.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the card for 169.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127789&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-127-789-_-Product

That is a really good deal. Then there is this promo code:

+ 7% off w/ promo code PPSUSDFS8, ends 10/28

So that should work out to $156

The S340 is one of the better budget friendly cases I have seen come out in a while. It's gotten great reviews from the major players. I think it is MUCH better than that low-end Corsair. (Not that there is anything wrong with Corsair, I have an Air 540 myself.)

Check out this video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNWOgbEXMI

or this one by TTL from OC3d:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqRc64yqM8

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably jump on the card right now then, considering this seems like a really good deal.

Out of curiosity, will the R9 280 last me more than two years? Or will it be a card that I will look to replace in a year or two?

Really digging the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's a lot of case for $99!

dsc069378qufc.jpg

appaws

Banned
Awesome, thanks! I'll probably jump on the card right now then, considering this seems like a really good deal.

Out of curiosity, will the R9 280 last me more than two years? Or will it be a card that I will look to replace in a year or two?

"A year or two." I would not put that past any PC component. It's going to be a good card for 1080p gaming right now, and for a while depending on your own standards for what is good as far as settings, etc.

This is, after all, a part that is essentially a 7950...a great GPU but several years old. But you were building a machine with a budget of $800 for gaming at 1080p, so I think that this is a good deal for that build. But, I would not think of it as a long-term investment...no.

rawrbot

Neo Member
Currently running an i7 870 and a GTX 660. Limited to running at 1080p on my HDTV in my living room. Machine is used solely for gaming.

Tempted to upgrade to a GTX 970 or R9 290 to modernize things a bit.

However, I'm not sure if it's better to make the jump to Haswell (e.g. 4690k) and upgrade my GPU down the line. I feel like at that point I might as well build a whole new rig...

Thoughts Gaf?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
With my girlfriend finally moved in and settling down, I can turn my attention to my rig here. I'm still undecided on my future monitor choice, but I know if I want to go 1440p/144hz or 4k/60hz, I'm going to need some upgrades...but my girlfriend needs a PC now as well (she games as well).

I'm tempted to just give her my current rig and built a new one from scratch designed for high end awesomesauce stuff (while carrying over some components such as my 970).

Smart move? Dumb move? Nerdy move?

appaws

Banned
I know this is a parts build thread. But what's a mid range gaming pc to play games at say 60fps1080p+?

Not sure what you are asking....? Are you looking for something pre-built? Read through the OP and look at the builds there. When you say mid-range, what do you mean? That can mean a lot of different things to different people.

With my girlfriend finally moved in and settling down, I can turn my attention to my rig here. I'm still undecided on my future monitor choice, but I know if I want to go 1440p/144hz or 4k/60hz, I'm going to need some upgrades...but my girlfriend needs a PC now as well (she games as well).

I'm tempted to just give her my current rig and built a new one from scratch designed for high end awesomesauce stuff (while carrying over some components such as my 970).

Smart move? Dumb move? Nerdy move?

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. And how good of a rig you have to give her in order to keep her happy so you keep gettin' the sweet, sweet lovin....

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. And how good of a rig you have to give her in order to keep her happy so you keep gettin' the sweet, sweet lovin....

My current rig would be the best PC she's had in her life. As for the money? Looking at something around the Enthusist build level in the OP. Except I already have the CPU and RAM. Would need the case, mobo, power supply, ssd/hdd and another 970 for SLI.

(She has no problem this with arrangement. lol)

maneil99

Currently running an i7 870 and a GTX 660. Limited to running at 1080p on my HDTV in my living room. Machine is used solely for gaming.

However, I'm not sure if it's better to make the jump to Haswell (e.g. 4690k) and upgrade my GPU down the line. I feel like at that point I might as well build a whole new rig...

Thoughts Gaf?

Get a new GPU now and then get a new CPU when Broadwell releases or when you have the $. CPU is still decent. You will see a much bigger gain with upgrading the GPU.

arne

Couple of sort of stupid questions. For reference, here's my planned build...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Is it worthwhile at all to transfer over my old power supply?
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI-B 700W

I know this is *stupid* and a major bottleneck, but given the tight supply of some of the lower priced GTX 970 cards... if I sucked it up and only used it for internet use for the time being, could I also transfer over my old 9800 GTX+ (lol)?
It was this one, seems to fit in my case and associated connectors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Sorry for the silly questions. thanks!

colt92

Neo Member

Thoughts Gaf?

GPU first. I have an i7 860 and I noticed maybe a little bottleneck when I upgraded to my 970 last month. Also, even if it's a pain in the ass with the first gen, you can always overclock the CPU (if you haven't already).

Acheteedo

Kingston's 3000MHz DDR4 RAM comes out on Nov 1st and the price is really excellent, is it cheap for a reason? Should they be avoided??

Specifically it's the "HyperX XMP Predator Series 16GB (4x 4GB) 3000MHz CL15 DDR4 DIMM Memory Module".

M.D

I'm looking to upgrade my 2008 pc, but I want a pc that will play current gen games for the next few years without upgrading again

I will need to upgrade my mother board, cpu, gpu, ram and possibly hdd

I can get an i7 4970k + z97x gaming g1 for 389$

For gpu it seems like the gtx 970 would the best option, and ram/hdd are cheap so whatever

The only question is if my psu
CORSAIR 650W TX CMPSU-650TX and case ANTEC 900 will fit these parts, because buying a new psu and case would make it too exepnsive for me

Hey guys, thinking about the "Great" option on the first page. Here's my situation:

Many things fried on my production machine. Lightning struck and melted my cable outside, subwoofer upstairs, router, one of my USB hubs and holy shit, my microwave. Blasted straight through my Monster surge like a hot knife through butter.

Power supply is toast on my machine. Thankfully, that's all and thankfully, my gaming rig is safe. I was going to fix it but decided to build anew, fix my old machine and donate it. Current specs on production machine:

i5 2500k
GTX 570 (laugh it off, peeps, handled my things fine)
16gb RAM (used to do a SHITLOAD of audio)
Sabertooth p67

The ?s
For the "Great" option I plan on using a GTX 760 so thats an upgrade. For the CPU im going with the i5 but I am not overclocking so would I need a larger heatsink or will the stock box handle it OK? Should I up to Windows 8.1 or stick with 7? I believe 8.x performs better. Never had an SSD and always raided. I'm assuming the SSD is for windows and other is for programs n things? Or do I roll programs like Unity on the SSD and use the other for project files, etc?

Primary use:
Unity3D game development. We make games for consoles, too. They are all 2D at the moment. Performance wise we have no issues hitting 60 constant even on an Android device from 2012 with a million particle FX and things on screen. Never had an issue with my 570.

I program, but hardware specifics aren't my thing. I can build and troubleshoot but when it comes to the fresh smell of new electronics, I defer to GAF.

I don't use my gaming rig for production. I like to keep them separate since I'm always fiddling with something on my gaming machine and the hassle of deactivating and reactivating licenses for any small change is a pain (not to mention the "you seem to be reactivating a lot of licenses" emails) plus security of a closed environment.

Time is now, now. Order today or tomorrow or if I can fish from a local shop, pick up and build over the weekend.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Hey guys, thinking about the "Great" option on the first page. Here's my situation:

Many things fried on my production machine. Lightning struck and melted my cable outside, subwoofer upstairs, router, one of my USB hubs and holy shit, my microwave. Blasted straight through my Monster surge like a hot knife through butter.

Power supply is toast on my machine. Thankfully, that's all and thankfully, my gaming rig is safe. I was going to fix it but decided to build anew, fix my old machine and donate it. Current specs on production machine:

i5 2500k
GTX 570 (laugh it off, peeps, handled my things fine)
16gb RAM (used to do a SHITLOAD of audio)
Sabertooth p67

The ?s
For the "Great" option I plan on using a GTX 760 so thats an upgrade. For the CPU im going with the i5 but I am not overclocking so would I need a larger heatsink or will the stock box handle it OK? Should I up to Windows 8.1 or stick with 7? I believe 8.x performs better. Never had an SSD and always raided. I'm assuming the SSD is for windows and other is for programs n things? Or do I roll programs like Unity on the SSD and use the other for project files, etc?

Primary use:
Unity3D game development. We make games for consoles, too. They are all 2D at the moment. Performance wise we have no issues hitting 60 constant even on an Android device from 2012 with a million particle FX and things on screen. Never had an issue with my 570.

I program, but hardware specifics aren't my thing. I can build and troubleshoot but when it comes to the fresh smell of new electronics, I defer to GAF.

I don't use my gaming rig for production. I like to keep them separate since I'm always fiddling with something on my gaming machine and the hassle of deactivating and reactivating licenses for any small change is a pain (not to mention the "you seem to be reactivating a lot of licenses" emails) plus security of a closed environment.

Time is now, now. Order today or tomorrow or if I can fish from a local shop, pick up and build over the weekend.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Stock cooler will be fine if you don't want to overclock, unless you want it to be quieter.

I'd recommend Windows 8.1, performs better, more features, likely will cost less to upgrade to the new Windows.

You put Windows on the SSD and then programs you use a lot, Unity could work well on that.

Stock cooler will be fine if you don't want to overclock, unless you want it to be quieter.

I'd recommend Windows 8.1, performs better, more features, likely will cost less to upgrade to the new Windows.

You put Windows on the SSD and then programs you use a lot, Unity could work well on that.
Sweet. Good to hear. I found a combo on newegg for 825ish but the RAM speed is 1600, not the recommended in the profile. I'm on my phone now. When I get home from work I'll get at my other machine and do legit comparisons/pricing. Hard to do on phone. All in all this is the round about setup I am going with. Should work fine for 2D projects.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvW2FT/by_merchant/

I built that around 2 years ago now and I think it's time for a GPU upgrade. I'm between the 780Ti and the 970.

Pretty sure the 970 is the way to go. With that said, if I buy the Gigabyte version of the card (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH5T1MS/?tag=neogaf0e-20), can you guys tell me if that card will fit my case, and will I need to pay particular attention when installing it or will I literally swap it out with my old card, connecting the same cables and slots?

Any reason I should buy a different version of the 970 than the Gigabyte?

Thanks!

paskowitz

In case anyone was curious, NZXT's Grid+ and CAM software are absolute garbage. Do not even bother. All none NZXT products have a min of 40% fan speed, fan speed can only be adjusted across all fans not individually, the ports on the grid are very flimsy and cause the fan plugs to get stuck (requiring you to sometimes take apart the Grid+ module) and the software freezes, crashes, and basically is inoperable.

So yeah... bad experience. Corsair Link is FAR superior (I just wish it had less CPU overhead).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvW2FT/by_merchant/

I built that around 2 years ago now and I think it's time for a GPU upgrade. I'm between the 780Ti and the 970.

Pretty sure the 970 is the way to go. With that said, if I buy the Gigabyte version of the card (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH5T1MS/?tag=neogaf0e-20), can you guys tell me if that card will fit my case, and will I need to pay particular attention when installing it or will I literally swap it out with my old card, connecting the same cables and slots?

Any reason I should buy a different version of the 970 than the Gigabyte?

Thanks!

The 970 will fit if you remove the hard drive cage(s?) from your case. It'll be mostly a direct swap. That 970 needs one 6-pin VGA power cable and one 8-pin. They are in a 6+2 arrangement from your PSU so you won't have any issues.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
The 970 will fit if you remove the hard drive cage(s?) from your case. It'll be mostly a direct swap. That 970 needs one 6-pin VGA power cable and one 8-pin. They are in a 6+2 arrangement from your PSU so you won't have any issues.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

Now I try and hold off for a few weeks until they hopefully sell that card with FC4 or AC:Unity...

Additionally, it sounds like I may want more case fans for OCing with that. Which fans can go into my current build?

My build is doing great except for the headphone jack on my define r4. It works but the sound is definitely garbled. I thought maybe it was the driver but I installed the HD audio driver for my as rock z97 pro 3 and that didnt change anything. Anyone have any ideas on how to debug?

hey, i just built in an H440 and honestly i think the process would have been easier with a non-modular (or maybe just semi-modular) PSU. once it's installed it's so far back in its own little cove thing that hooking up cables for every component was actually the hardest part of the build. coming from an Air 240 where the PSU was super easy to access (yet still hidden from sight for aesthetics) it was massively annoying.

food for thought. it's a great case, BTW. so much bigger than i need (or would, if ASUS didn't make stupidly wide GPUs) but still pretty sleek.

[

Off the back of this I've actually switched to the 230T and changed my PSU to something a little cheaper....

Not quite what you recommended but seems a better choice

Be at least another week for my deposit return though - don't trust my ex-landlord so could be a wee bit longer.

Would like to go i7 like someone suggested but I can't quite push myself to stretch my budget for it yet....

Black and Red theme.... ssssh I know it's orange

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Orange ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.31 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan x 2
& Compulsory SSD Butchered from Laptop

thuway

Couple of sort of stupid questions. For reference, here's my planned build...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Is it worthwhile at all to transfer over my old power supply?
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI-B 700W

I know this is *stupid* and a major bottleneck, but given the tight supply of some of the lower priced GTX 970 cards... if I sucked it up and only used it for internet use for the time being, could I also transfer over my old 9800 GTX+ (lol)?
It was this one, seems to fit in my case and associated connectors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Sorry for the silly questions. thanks!
Your good to go, the PCI-Express slot will take it. I don't know if Nvidia still updates that card though.

Interesting that you didn't use the cutout in the "cable cover" to run your video card wires...

I actually like how yours looks, it looks cleaner, might have to re-wire mine!

I didn't really pay attention to be honest lol. I just figured I would try to see if I could hide it in the back. Some cables are sticking out in the picture, I will probably clean them up a little back, maybe with a cable tie or two.

Either way, this case is awesome for cabling. Took a little while the first time but I don't want to go back to a more traditional case now.

Has anyone moved away from physical hard drives altogether as internal drives? I believe my HDD broke yesterday, and I'm contemplating to just skip it and go full SSD instead. I'm not really using much HDD space anyway and I have an external HDD for storing pictures and whatnot.

Borderlands the Pre Sequel was being bundled very recently and that's brand new.

It was bundled with the 700-series.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
With 700 series cards though, not 970s as far as I know....

Gotcha. With that said, any reason I should get an Asus or MSI 970 rather than the Gigabyte G1 version? May head to Microcenter later this week and pick it up along with an extra fan or two.

hoserx

Gotcha. With that said, any reason I should get an Asus or MSI 970 rather than the Gigabyte G1 version? May head to Microcenter later this week and pick it up along with an extra fan or two.

I've got a Zotac Amp Omega 970, well two of them, and they run cool, quiet, and overclock to 1500mhz.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a Zotac Amp Omega 970, well two of them, and they run cool, quiet, and overclock to 1500mhz.

That one looks to be out of stock most places right now but I guess that would be yet another 970 option lol.

As far as OCing goes, I've never done it. Once I put whichever 970 I buy into my case and reboot, what's the next step to try overclocking?

My current build btw: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvW2FT/by_merchant/

hoserx

That one looks to be out of stock most places right now but I guess that would be yet another 970 option lol.

As far as OCing goes, I've never done it. Once I put whichever 970 I buy into my case and reboot, what's the next step to try overclocking?

Load up your software of choice (evga precision / afterburner) and start adding to the boost clock...... run something intensive........see if it crashes, repeat.

Antti

Alright, I'm thinking about upgrading (well, building a new one) my computer. Help me GAF!

Budget: ~1000€, from Finland

Main Use: Some gaming, mostly Football Manager I would think. Random movie here and there. Will be using my old video card.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p, will be using my old monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Football Manager, so a good CPU is a must.

Looking to reuse any parts?: ATI Radeon 5870 (I know it's not exactly new, but I can deal with it and it's upgradeable), BenQ 24" monitor, a couple of 1TB HDD's for storage

When will you build?: No deadline, but I would prefer sooner or later.

Will you be overclocking?: Probably.

Should I just go with the "Excellent" build from the chart? That's around my budget. Thanks guys!

appaws

Banned
Has anyone moved away from physical hard drives altogether as internal drives? I believe my HDD broke yesterday, and I'm contemplating to just skip it and go full SSD instead. I'm not really using much HDD space anyway and I have an external HDD for storing pictures and whatnot.

Yep. Love it. I don't do much with storing a lot of pictures or media or whatever, so it was an easy choice for me. Always hated the noise of the HDD. I still have all the drives I have amassed over the years sitting on a shelf. If I need anything off of them, I bought a cheap Rosewill adapter that has a USB on one end and Sata and IDE(!) on the other.

I had been using my external mostly for media since my old internal HDD was close to dying. Eventually, I'd like to move to just an SSD internally and a NAS for media, but with my new build I decided to get an internal for now.

mauinho

Neo Member
Just pulled the Trigger on this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33YMyc

Haven't built a PC in 12 years It's going to be fun and games haha
There's a 2 week wait on the 970 from Amazon UK and the h240x will also take 2 weeks to get here , the rest will be here by weeks end.
Lots of reading and video tutorials meanwhile.
I'm quite excited I have to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom