• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you planning to use the stock CPU cooler? If you plan to overclock (since you got the unlocked chip) you should probably add a cooler.

I guess I'll ask: what does overclocking do? lol

Also, is it worth it to invest in a monitor or do most just use their T.V.'s these days?

Zaph

bulbasarous

Neo Member
Tech specs suggest it's variations in ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio. The J is 80000000:1, while the P is 50000000:1.

I think it's one of those horrible dynamic contrast features which you'll probably keep disabled anyway.

Thanks! I looked through it twice but couldn't spot the difference.

jrush64

Banned
I've connected everything I should connect. But the PC doesn't seem to be coming on. The fan's don't move at all.

The motherboard power's on as I see lights on it.

vocab

Anyone have experience with an asrock z97 extreme 4? Would you recommend it? Its like the only z97 board I'm seeing that has what I want. I can't justify buying an Asus z97a when it has a lesser onboard audio and its more expensive. The only negative thing I see is thin pcb, which is worrisome.

Those gigabyte options are cheap but I'm just reading a lot of negative feedback about gigabyte this time around.

I just can't pick a board.

Its alive !!! after 3 days of building its done ! :D

[
B1wksLXIYAATdMM.jpg

B1wmr8_CMAALPCR.jpg

happy happy joy joy :D

bro1

Banned
These new nvidia drivers suck. Sli seems broken in a few games and installing them was a pain as my monitor was not recoginzed at first. Seems to be an issue common with some on the geforce forums. Anyone else have any issues?

garath

I just went ahead and ordered the BenQ XL2420G without any reviews like a crazy person. With my luck with impulse buys, this was probably a huge mistake but I really wanted a 144Hz 1080p Gsync monitor. It's expensive, I know. I just hope it doesn't have any inherent issues.

jrush64

Banned
Alright thanx. I got PC working. But it seems so start up and stop.

Can't see anything on the screen. The Fans work fine though.

garath

That's much better. Pretty much confirms what has been suspected. The extra RAM does nothing for 1080p gameplay and only offers a slight improvement even for 4k with current games.

It's an option for future proofing or if you really really like that 4k resolution. Personally I'd rather a good 1080p 60-80fps experience over a 30-40 4k. But that's just me!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, I'm trying out a vga cable to see if the dvi port on one of my old cards is borked. My monitor is 120hz, but I wasn't aware vga doesn't support 120hz until just now. I could instantly tell it was back to 59hz. It's actually messing with my eyes and feels horrible now, lol.

edit: Something else is also going on, apparently. My mouse is randomly moving itself to the left side of my screen. Ugh.
edit2: It's my mouse. :(
edit3: hooray, I fixed it.

Damerman

I just went ahead and ordered the BenQ XL2420G without any reviews like a crazy person. With my luck with impulse buys, this was probably a huge mistake but I really wanted a 144Hz 1080p Gsync monitor. It's expensive, I know. I just hope it doesn't have any inherent issues.

i was on the verge of buying that one because some one misinformed me on the amount of display connections it has(HDMI Displayport 1.2 DV-I), and for some odd reason i can't go lower than 27 inches. so i got the Acer XB270H 144hz and g-sync. I don't know where I'll connect my PS4 since i'm giving my old LG 27" monitor to my brother.

Jonm1010

Banned
So this is my first attempt at building a computer so excuse any ignorance.

My current computer is the late 2012 X51, so it has the old power board that is giving trouble to people trying to insert a 970. Which is forcing me to rebuild.

I have had a hard time tracking down more specifics but I have:

I7-3770 CPU @3.4ghz
Nvidia 660 1.5gb Vram
2tb HD
16 gig ram
DVD Burner DRive
330w PSU

Budget:
Pretty open but would prefer under $1000

Main Use:
Hardcore Gaming. Would like to play most upcoming games on high to ultra settings at 1080p. Don't want to go lower then a 970. Would also like room to swap and add additions like maybe SLi 970 or something.

Re-use Parts:
I would like to re-use as much as possible to keep costs low for right now but have in my mind to basically upgrade everything eventually.

Monitor:
My 50 in Plasma TV

Cabinet Space:

The cabinet is 14in height, and depth of 14 in. However I can easily turn the case sideways and have a much larger space. Basically my only limitation is 14in height and the case needing to be less then 14 inches either in width or length.

Curious if anyone has some recommendations of cases they have used for living rooms and in cabinets.

My Main Concerns:

1.) What if any of my parts from the X51 can I hold onto and use in my new computer?

2.) What cases should I consider?

3.)What parts should I invest in now and what can wait?

4.) Any other advice I may need that I am completely ignorant of as a newbie to this.

Thank to anyone that has any suggestions.

appaws

Banned
So this is my first attempt at building a computer so excuse any ignorance.

My current computer is the late 2012 X51, so it has the old power board that is giving trouble to people trying to insert a 970. Which is forcing me to rebuild.

I have had a hard time tracking down more specifics but I have:

My Main Concerns:

1.) What if any of my parts from the X51 can I hold onto and use in my new computer?

2.) What cases should I consider?

3.)What parts should I invest in now and what can wait?

4.) Any other advice I may need that I am completely ignorant of as a newbie to this.

Thank to anyone that has any suggestions.

Well it seems to me that you could do a mini-itx build and use a good bit of your old parts in it. You could use a case like the Node 304, the depth is 14.72 inches....width and height are both less than 10.

You could get a mini-itx Z77board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131932) $125 after rebate at Newegg. The new Gigabyte small version of the GTX 970, an SSD and maybe a new power supply.

AndreH121

Neo Member
I have an 80GB Intel SSD and a Samsung 7200RPM 1TB Hard Drive and was wondering what would be the best way to configure it. I'm guessing install Windows 8.1 on the SSD and use it as a boot drive and store and play all the games from the hard drive? Would that even make that big of a difference in loading speed?

The Llama

LilJoka

Thanks. But after reading a review on it I'm thinking of paying more and getting either the COUGAR POWERX PX700V2 700W or COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W... not sure what the difference between them is other than watt rating (found them for the same price locally).

Just spend a little more money and get a proper PSU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

The EVGA you posted before is more than enough for your rig, just not great quality, but good enough to recommend - Not by me though.

Also its a good idea to stay away from multi 12v rail PSUs, you want a single 12v rail.

Why pay $250 for a 760 4GB, just seems poor value when you can get an R9 290 for $250 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...02103&cm_re=290-_-14-202-103-_-Product&cm_sp=

:O

Reviews on that card are sorta making it out to be sketchy. I believe I'm rocking a 600w power supply, so it looks like I'd need to buy a new 750w one to properly run it. Seems like a great value if I didn't have to buy another power supply.

Looks like a good value. Now just to decide whether I'd want to risk it. edit; Thanks for letting me know of that card, btw.

edit: for what I'd pay (for both card and a new PSU), I could get this GTX 970 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH5ZNWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 More research to do. :/

Just spend a little more money and get a proper PSU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

The EVGA you posted before is more than enough for your rig, just not great quality, but good enough to recommend - Not by me though.

I have to buy it locally (I live in middle east) so I don't have a lot of choices within my budget. I'll look for other options though.

Also its a good idea to stay away from multi 12v rail PSUs, you want a single 12v rail.

That's good to know, thanks!

Edit: a quick google search revealed the thing about multi 12v rail vs single is a myth...

garath

Damn, I just bought this from Amazon for $309.99 after the $20 rebate. I just installed it maybe 1-2 hours ago.

It's worth contacting Amazon customer support. They're usually pretty good about honoring competitor prices provided it's the exact same card.

tarheel91

Reviews on that card are sorta making it out to be sketchy. I believe I'm rocking a 600w power supply, so it looks like I'd need to buy a new 750w one to properly run it. Seems like a great value if I didn't have to buy another power supply.

Looks like a good value. Now just to decide whether I'd want to risk it. edit; Thanks for letting me know of that card, btw.

edit: for what I'd pay (for both card and a new PSU), I could get this GTX 970 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH5ZNWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 More research to do. :/

I have a 290 on a 520W PSU with an overclocked CPU. You'd be fine at 600W.

jrush64

Banned
Can anyone please help me with this. I got the PC build connected. But when I turn it on, I get no video whatsoever and the DRAM red light on the motherboard stays on.

xBladeM6x

Can anyone please help me with this. I got the PC build connected. But when I turn it on, I get no video whatsoever and the DRAM red light on the motherboard stays on.

Pull out your RAM sticks, and try booting the PC with only 1 in. If it boots, try with 2 sticks, then 3 and so on. Remember that a set of RAM goes in every other slot. So like, slots 1 & 3, for one pair, and 2 & 4 for the second pair. I've also had this problem when the RAM sticks aren't fully pushed into the slot, so much sure they've clipped down all the way.

jrush64

Banned
Pull out your RAM sticks, and try booting the PC with only 1 in. If it boots, try with 2 sticks, then 3 and so on. Remember that a set of RAM goes in every other slot. So like, slots 1 & 3, for one pair, and 2 & 4 for the second pair. I've also had this problem when the RAM sticks aren't fully pushed into the slot, so much sure they've clipped down all the way.

Ive already tried those things and it didn't work. I pushed them down and they clipped themselves.

I have to try and disassemble it and build it again. I hope its not the motherboard as I can't get a new one where I am right now.

Is there anyway I can test if the motherboard is fine?

xBladeM6x

Ive already tried those things and it didn't work. I pushed them down and they clipped themselves.

I have to try and disassemble it and build it again. I hope its not the motherboard as I can't get a new one where I am right now.

Is there anyway I can test if the motherboard is fine?

Did your motherboard come with one of those speaker things?

If so, plug it into the "Speaker" pins, and listen for the amount of beeps. That should tell you what is wrong.

I'm curious, do you get a video signal if you plug the monitor into the motherboard and not the GPU? I had a motherboard where the PCI-E was disabled so nothing would show up on the display, until I enabled it in the BIOS.

appaws

Banned
Thanks. But after reading a review on it I'm thinking of paying more and getting either the COUGAR POWERX PX700V2 700W or COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W... not sure what the difference between them is other than watt rating (found them for the same price locally).

Oh if you haven't bought it yet then yeah definitely do better. I've never even heard of Cougar power supplies to be honest, wouldn't get either of those.

I just went and looked around the net for some thoughts in general on Cougar power supplies. I was hoping to find some good news because they do make good fans. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be all that great. Corsair (at the higher end), Seasonic, and EVGA still seem to be the way to go.

I can't imagine why that 290 would be "sketchy?" Sapphire makes great stuff. I think this is just probably an example of the internet giving voice to those with complaints. The masses of satisfied customers don't bother posting.

any help on this?

Are you talking about Bitfenix cable EXTENSIONS... or REPLACING the cables that came with the PSU? I thought for REPLACEMENT of the cables that came with a power supply, you pretty much need to go with the brand that matches the power supply. But for extensions that go on the end of the cables that came with your PSU, the Bitfenix ones are great for the price.

It's cheap and looks great to use extensions, but the drawback is that you have to have someplace to put all that long cable length. I use the white ones....but I have an Air 540 so hiding the big ugly cables in the back is no problem.

I just went and looked around the net for some thoughts in general on Cougar power supplies. I was hoping to find some good news because they do make good fans. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be all that great. Corsair (at the higher end), Seasonic, and EVGA still seem to be the way to go.

Yeah I looked at some reviews and gathered as much. At the next price bracket there are a few EVGA and Seasonic PSUs I can choose from. I'll stick to one of those I guess.

appaws

Banned
Yeah I looked at some reviews and gathered as much. At the next price bracket there are a few EVGA and Seasonic PSUs I can choose from. I'll stick to one of those I guess.

Yeah. But if you get an awesome deal or if that is all you have available....they don't seem to be terrible. Just average-slightly below average.

I admit that those of us in America get very spoiled always having pretty much everything available to us, and at lower prices generally...I know it is not like that everywhere.

If you are looking for good power supply reviews, I like JonnyGuru.com. Tiny Tom Logan does video reviews of some on youtube where he shows you all the testing, but he generally sticks to the highest-end enthusiast units. The AX1500i is amazing in theory, but how many of us besides Smokey will ever spend that much on a PSU.

Damerman

Are you talking about Bitfenix cable EXTENSIONS... or REPLACING the cables that came with the PSU? I thought for REPLACEMENT of the cables that came with a power supply, you pretty much need to go with the brand that matches the power supply. But for extensions that go on the end of the cables that came with your PSU, the Bitfenix ones are great for the price.

It's cheap and looks great to use extensions, but the drawback is that you have to have someplace to put all that long cable length. I use the white ones....but I have an Air 540 so hiding the big ugly cables in the back is no problem.

i was referring more to replacement cables. I got a fully modular PSU, but since you say that i need a matching brand... I'll take that into consideration. thanks. Also, i would have used the extensions, but like you mentioned they probably wont be hidden too well in my case. thanks for the response.

kennah

i was referring more to replacement cables. I got a fully modular PSU, but since you say that i need a matching brand... I'll take that into consideration. thanks. Also, i would have used the extensions, but like you mentioned they probably wont be hidden too well in my case. thanks for the response.
Yeah you can't mix and match the cables. And often even ones from the same manufacturer don't match up between models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom