• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

that CPU is the standard right now. If you can, i'd go for that. if you were just going to game, the i5 is more than competent.

W8.1 is totally worth it in my opinion. it boots faster, games got a boost from it and DX12/W10 are coming for free next fall for people who own windows 8.1.

G-sync essentially puts the monitor at the mercy of ur GPU on a hardware level. Benefits of this is that monitors wont screen tear and the spikes and dips in frames per second are not as noticeable. going from 30 to 40 on a normal monitor is jarring... on G-sync its smoother. here is a review that really helped me understand G-sync and why i own one right now.

In regards to resolution... i would go for this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PG278Q-Widescreen-Monitor-2560x1440-NVIDIA/dp/B00LBZLIXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1415386964&sr=1-1&keywords=g-sync its more pricey, but i think that this is going to future proof the hell out of ur set up. it has the resolution and so much more. so its around 190-200 pounds more expensive. Be weary though, this monitor only has one Displayport 1.2 connector... so no HDMI or anything else.

ok thanks, that's a big help! :D

Might go for W8.1 then if I get free W10 next year. Is it worth going for Pro over normal?

Damerman

ok thanks, that's a big help! :D

Might go for W8.1 then if I get free W10 next year. Is it worth going for Pro over normal?

I would just go for the normal. I don't know how, but i have pro and i can't seem to see any distinct features compared to the normal version.

Just installed my GTX 980. Got a scare when it said plug PCI-E in. The freaking modular cable somehow came lose. Anyways, I just installed the driver.

I only selected the graphics driver and PhsyX is that cool? The 3D stuff is useless to me and I'm not sure what the Nvidia Experience is. I also notice the fans aren't spinning on the GPU but I'm guessing it does that only when it gets hot? It's idling at 30c right now.

Go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE, or vice versa depending on what your current default is.

It will impact some of the SSD speed, but it may likely fix your freezing issue.

Try it out for a few hours, repeat what caused you to freeze the first few times and see what happens.
Damn. Wouldn't even boot to windows. Thanks tho.

Edit:
Hasn't happened at all today. Been working fine since i switched back. Could have easily been a fluke. Will continue trucking.

Need to get a new CPU for my rig, is the 4790k worth it or am I just as good with the 4690k? Just going to be using it mainly for gaming and planning to overclock

jrush64

Banned
Yup. See what happens.

Trouble shooting parts can be a pain, but try everything out lol

EDIT: I'm gonna be AFK for a while, good luck.

Thanx for all the help. I connected the PC without the RAM but I heard no beeps. The Video still didnt come on.

Even tried with my video card but no luck.

The fans all started working along with the light on the pc case.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanx for all the help. I connected the PC without the RAM but I heard no beeps. The Video still didnt come on.

Even tried with my video card but no luck.

The fans all started working along with the light on the pc case.

I don't know what to do anymore.

What cable are you using to output to your monitor? Try something else, e.g. if you're using HDMI try VGA or DVI, etc.

Addnan

CPU, 1 stick of RAM and monitor connected to onboard onboard (if you have onboard) otherwise leave the GPU in. Remove everything else, HDD, DVD drive etc.

paskowitz

Just installed my GTX 980. Got a scare when it said plug PCI-E in. The freaking modular cable somehow came lose. Anyways, I just installed the driver.

I only selected the graphics driver and PhsyX is that cool? The 3D stuff is useless to me and I'm not sure what the Nvidia Experience is. I also notice the fans aren't spinning on the GPU but I'm guessing it does that only when it gets hot? It's idling at 30c right now.

Fans not spinning is normal. They don't spin all the way up to 60c. That is a really low idle. Mine idles as like 40c. Which card do you have?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It seems recommended specs of the newer releases lately (excluding AC Unity's ridiculous specs) are in the Nvidia 600 series or AMD 700 series range. How much do you want to spend?

You can get a gtx 670 superclocked for ~$200 USD on
Amazon
right now (not sure what the rules are for website mentions/links). If you want to save a few bucks you could grab a GTX 750ti, performance won't be quite as good as a 670 but its like ~$150 USD and will perform well with today's games.

If you fancy AMD, I'd aim for an R270x or R280x ($180 / $220).

I would recommend a GTX 670, I have one now and have had zero problems so far at 1080p / 60fps with recent releases. For reference, Dragon Age is recommending a 660, and FC4 a 680 (680 is barely more powerful than a 670).

Pretty sure any and all vendor links are okay, havent ever seen rules against it I know of. This GTX 670 Superclocked seems to be out of stock a lot of the normal places I check here in the UK so thats a bummer. Probably looking to swap from AMD because its all about Nvidia these days, rarely see any Radeon advantage that I know of.

Also, as above, my "not properly 750W" PSU is the limiting factor and I'm not sure what requirements these big ol beast cards require these days.

£120 is around about what I'd think about paying since otherwise we're getting near "entire new console" prices which make me sketchy.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm pretty sure my GTX 460 is dying. I'm in a tight spot because I wasn't looking to upgrade anything for maybe another year. Right now I have a slightly overclocked i5 750, and play games at 1920x1080. I'm kind of on a budget, but I don't want to buy something I'll need to replace right away. I want to spend $200 but I'm willing to go up to $250 (maybe $300) if people think it's necessary. I was thinking of getting a GTX 760 2GB, but I'm wondering if I should get a card with 3 or 4GB.

garath

I'm pretty sure my GTX 460 is dying. I'm in a tight spot because I wasn't looking to upgrade anything for maybe another year. Right now I have a slightly overclocked i5 750, and play games at 1920x1080. I'm kind of on a budget, but I don't want to buy something I'll need to replace right away. I want to spend $200 but I'm willing to go up to $250 (maybe $300) if people think it's necessary. I was thinking of getting a GTX 760 2GB, but I'm wondering if I should get a card with 3 or 4GB.

At $250 as a hard stop, The R6 290 seems like a good purchase. I'd really really see if you could stretch a 970 but that is a solid chunk over your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E16814202103&gclid=CKDV5tq85sECFew7MgodfkMAtQ

vocab

Asrock z97 extreme 6 is the same price as extreme 4 on newegg. Really tempted. Anyone have this board? IF so what do you think of it.

Chinbo37

I want to get a new monitor, 24 or 27 inch.

Simple question. Do I want 144hz or do I want 1440 p?

It seems like I can't have both.

garath

I want to get a new monitor, 24 or 27 inch.

Simple question. Do I want 144hz or do I want 1440 p?

It seems like I can't have both.

Llama beat me to it. ASUS ROG Swift is both. Expensive though.

I want 144hz 1080p 24" with gsync though. I want to get a lot of mileage out of my 970 with snappy performance.

appaws

Banned
IMG_0657_zpse4958aa5.jpg

got my cooler and my Acer 1080p 27" monitor... waiting on the GTX 970 now.

Should i put the Radiator at intake or exhaust?

I would say to put it on as the back panel exhaust...depending on what case you have of course.

Asrock z97 extreme 6 is the same price as extreme 4 on newegg. Really tempted. Anyone have this board? IF so what do you think of it.

I don't have it but I have read excellent reviews. Like this:

http://techreport.com/review/27181/asrock-z97-extreme6-motherboard-reviewed

Inkwell

Banned
At $250 as a hard stop, The R6 290 seems like a good purchase. I'd really really see if you could stretch a 970 but that is a solid chunk over your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E16814202103&gclid=CKDV5tq85sECFew7MgodfkMAtQ
I would like to stick with nvidia if I could. My past 3 cards have been nvidia cards and I'm more familiar with them. It's been awhile since I've researched cards, but I remember ati cards having more issues with drivers and issues with games. Things have probably changed though. I'll look more into that card later. I'm on my phone so it's a bit tedious to compare things. Also my phone keeps trying to autocorrect cards to cats and is irritating.

Fans not spinning is normal. They don't spin all the way up to 60c. That is a really low idle. Mine idles as like 40c. Which card do you have?

EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0. I should note it's kinda cold in my room right now so that probably helped the idle temps drop lol.

I haven't run Furmark on it yet but played a little Walking Dead S2 on it and got up to 64c. How long should I run Furmark on it for stability?

Addnan

EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0. I should note it's kinda cold in my room right now so that probably helped the idle temps drop lol.

I haven't run Furmark on it yet but played a little Walking Dead S2 on it and got up to 64c. How long should I run Furmark on it for stability?
You shouldn't. Furmark is stupid.

Damerman

I would say to put it on as the back panel exhaust...depending on what case you have of course.
I have a thor v2 where my exhaust is the top of the case. Intake are the side left panel(removed it though because its too much dust) and front. Ill try to post a pic with drawings.

Namius

So I'm currently considering an upgrade of my PC and not sure how far I should go. My current setup is as follows:

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 ghz CPU
EVGA nForce 750i FTW motherboard
6 Gigs of RAM
2 x 8800 GT (SLI)
Samsung EVO 840 (just upgraded)

So I'd like to upgrade my PC, mainly so I can play some of the more recent games but am unsure if I need to upgrade my CPU and motherboard or if I'd be okay just upgrading the video card alone. Would I be bottlenecking a new GPU?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

awesome. Let us know how it is, if you don't mind.

My G-sync monitor came in also, but i'm waiting for the video card to get here to try it.

First off, the bad, which isn't as bad as I feared. I'm used to my IPS monitor so colors and blacks are off, though not nearly as bad as the last TN monitor I used and viewing angles are way better than I feared. Not as good as my old ASUS IPS but compared to cheap TN displays I've used in the past, it's worlds better. I don't notice any uniformity issues. I wish I knew what I was doing when it came to adjusting picture settings. I just dropped the brightness from 100 - 50. Out of the box it was blindingly bright, and messed with the contrast a little.

Now for the good and I've just tested BF4 test range so far. My PC typically maintains a framerate between 120-200 fps in BF4, in the test range it closer to the high end. Everything is much more defined and fluid and with GSync, I get the high variable framerate (though it seems to cap at the refresh rate with GSync enabled) with no tearing. This is my first time with a high refreshrate monitor and that fluidity of motion is what I've always wanted. I'm looking forward to trying some additional games, especially games that I was forced to use vsync to get a smooth experience.

Edit:

Just tried GTA IV because it's a game that can still dip into the 40s even with my new PC to see how GSync handles it. You can definitely notice that the framerate has drop once it gets in to the 40s but the motion is still fluid and of course no tearing. So as it should, it eliminates judder that triple buffered vsync would introduce. Smaller dips into the 50s are where GSync shines. With my last monitor dips into the 50s were the most annoying because it's just a few frames below 60 but it was so damn noticeable. You're so close to a perfectly smooth experience but because you fall just short, you get hitches or tearing, pick your poison. That goes away.

appaws

Banned
I have a thor v2 where my exhaust is the top of the case. Intake are the side left panel(removed it though because its too much dust) and front. Ill try to post a pic with drawings.

I just looked at a picture...you have an exhaust in back, right behind the CPU...above the PCI covers...

tarheel91

So I've changed the registry value, used various programs to do it for me, and nothing I do will prevent core parking. The core parking programs all say my cores should be unparked, but in practice, they still park. Any idea why this might be happening? Windows 8.1/5820k.

Damerman

First off, the bad, which isn't as bad as I feared. I'm used to my IPS monitor so colors and blacks are off, though not nearly as bad as the last TN monitor I used and viewing angles are way better than I feared. Not as good as my old ASUS IPS but compared to cheap TN displays I've used in the past, it's worlds better. I don't notice any uniformity issues. I wish I knew what I was doing when it came to adjusting picture settings. I just dropped the brightness from 100 - 50. Out of the box it was blindingly bright, and messed with the contrast a little.

Now for the good and I've just tested BF4 test range so far. My PC typically maintains a framerate between 120-200 fps in BF4, in the test range it closer to the high end. Everything is much more defined and fluid and with GSync, I get the high variable framerate (though it seems to cap at the refresh rate with GSync enabled) with no tearing. This is my first time with a high refreshrate monitor and that fluidity of motion is what I've always wanted. I'm looking forward to trying some additional games, especially games that I was forced to use vsync to get a smooth experience.

Edit:

Just tried GTA IV because it's a game that can still dip into the 40s even with my new PC to see how GSync handles it. You can definitely notice that the framerate has drop once it gets in to the 40s but the motion is still fluid and of course no tearing. So as it should, it eliminates judder that triple buffered vsync would introduce. Smaller dips into the 50s are where GSync shines. With my last monitor dips into the 50s were the most annoying because it's just a few frames below 60 but it was so damn noticeable. You're so close to a perfectly smooth experience but because you fall just short, you get hitches or tearing, pick your poison. That goes away.
Much apreciated. I was afraid of the tn panel being unbareble coming from an IPS, so the bad news isnt so bad. Also very nice to know that it makes a differnece. Really hoping i didnt soend all that money for nothing.

bro1

Banned
My PC is doubling as a space heater! I can't believe how much warmth I can feel coming off of it in this cold weather. Does anybody else get this effect? If I leave my PC in my office with door closed it's like walking into a wall of heat.

Addnan

My PC is doubling as a space heater! I can't believe how much warmth I can feel coming off of it in this cold weather. Does anybody else get this effect? If I leave my PC in my office with door closed it's like walking into a wall of heat.
No, do you have stock AMD card?

The Llama

Specs?

tarheel91

So I've changed the registry value, used various programs to do it for me, and nothing I do will prevent core parking. The core parking programs all say my cores should be unparked, but in practice, they still park. Any idea why this might be happening? Windows 8.1/5820k.

Bumping for next page.

So with the slew of good PC games coming out from now until mid-next year, I was contemplating some upgrades. Primarily my monitor and my GPUs.

I am using a 2600K which is OCd to 4.6Ghz and have 16GB of RAM. In addition, I currently have a Benq XL2720Z and am running a pair of EVGA 670 GTX 4GB SLI cards. My reasons for the upgrade is because I miss having more real estate on my monitor in terms of resolution and clarity and also because GSync is really intriguing. So 1440p at 60FPS minimum is the goal.

The upgrades I am looking at are a pair of 970s and the monitor I want is the Asus 27 ROG Swift.

Would these go well together? Are their any issues with SLI and GSync together? I never want to see screen tearing ever again essentially and was hoping someone could let me know if these are gonna be worth it. Any input would be fantastic! Thanks!

The Llama

So with the slew of good PC games coming out from now until mid-next year, I was contemplating some upgrades. Primarily my monitor and my GPUs.

I am using a 2600K which is OCd to 4.6Ghz and have 16GB of RAM. In addition, I currently have a Benq XL2720Z and am running a pair of EVGA 670 GTX 4GB SLI cards. My reasons for the upgrade is because I miss having more real estate on my monitor in terms of resolution and clarity and also because GSync is really intriguing. So 1440p at 60FPS minimum is the goal.

The upgrades I am looking at are a pair of 970s and the monitor I want is the Asus 27 ROG Swift.

Would these go well together? Are their any issues with SLI and GSync together? I never want to see screen tearing ever again essentially and was hoping someone could let me know if these are gonna be worth it. Any input would be fantastic! Thanks!

SLI works with GSync. Sounds like a damn good upgrade.

So I got my free game code for buying the GTX 970. How does this work? I mean, I know where to redeem but is it a direct download or will I be given another key for something like steam? I just don't want to enter the code and then have it be a download locked to my laptop rather than my new PC. Guess I could just wait until I build it.

vocab

So I got my free game code for buying the GTX 970. How does this work? I mean, I know where to redeem but is it a direct download or will I be given another key for something like steam? I just don't want to enter the code and then have it be a download locked to my laptop rather than my new PC. Guess I could just wait until I build it.

What game? If it's AC Unity, it's tied to uplay. So don't worry about it being locked to a computer.

Kiru

All keys are for uPlay, ubisoft's client, something like steam. You can install it everywhere you want, no problem.

I knew Ubisoft would do that too. That's why I got FC4 on PS4 and I'll just use my GTX 980 code on AC:U for PC. I hate UPlay. Can't believe those guys pulled their games on Steam and Gaben was issuing refunds. Freaking hate Ubisoft. Lucky for them I like their games so I'll put up with their shenanigans for now.

I've run into so many issues with UPlay in the past it almost seems inevitable Ubisoft will put those games back up on Steam at some point. I know I'm not the only one. If UPlay wasn't a steaming pile of dung I wouldn't care. You want to make more money on your games by putting them on your digital service fine...but at least make a competent service.

garath

I knew Ubisoft would do that too. That's why I got FC4 on PS4 and I'll just use my GTX 980 code on AC:U for PC. I hate UPlay. Can't believe those guys pulled their games on Steam and Gaben was issuing refunds. Freaking hate Ubisoft. Lucky for them I like their games so I'll put up with their shenanigans for now.

I've run into so many issues with UPlay in the past it almost seems inevitable Ubisoft will put those games back up on Steam at some point. I know I'm not the only one. If UPlay wasn't a steaming pile of dung I wouldn't care. You want to make more money on your games by putting them on your digital service fine...but at least make a competent service.

They're already back on steam :)

PC-GAF, I need some help.

I have no desire, zero desire, like negative desire, to build my own PC. Despite being a mid-40s homeowner, handyman is not in my resume. I feel pretty strongly that 1, I would fuck it up and 2, I would hate every second of having to do it.

So, I need some advice on where to head with that info.

Here's the deal. I have a laptop. It's an ASUS N53S:
- i7-2670, 2.2 GHz
- GeForce GT 630M 2GB
- 6 GB of memory

It's about two years old. I like it quite a bit, but with a Nexus 7 for mobility, the laptop basically sits in one room. I treat it like a desktop.

It plays a decent number of games, though we're starting to see some come out (Shadow of Mordor, for instance) where the old girl doesn't meet minimum specs.

So, I've begun to wonder whether I should just pony up for a desktop. Given Christmas is approaching, I've considered starting by putting a monitor on my wish list, which could temporarily be attached to the laptop.

I've been looking at this one.

At some point I would then need to go with the full kit and kaboodle and buy a desktop. Something capable of playing games but preferably in the $600-$700 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom