• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing Deal! - Additional Academic 10% off here
  • Newegg Shell Shocker
  • $129.99 - $20 Rebate = $109.99
SeaSonic X-1250 ( SS-1250XM2 ) 80 PLUS GOLD Full Modular
hr4SwNLl.jpg

Damn that's a hell of a deal. I love the way that thing looks.

Durante

I'd argue that with an overall lower-end system you should rather go for the 750ti, due to NV's higher efficiency in DirectX. You'd be fine with the 260x in Mantle games, but most games aren't Mantle games.

coughlanio

So, I'm considering upgrading/sidegrading to a GTX 970/980. My 290x (4GB Reference) is starting to throttle itself (whenever it hits 94 degrees) in newer games, causing a dip in performance.

Worth the upgrade, or should I just deal with the throttling until next year?

Durante

That would really be more of a sidegrade. Not worth it IMHO, unless you really want some NV-specific features (such as DSR).

Maybe buy an aftermarket cooler for your 290x, though I don't know what's currently on offer in that area.

Darkroronoa

I'd argue that with an overall lower-end system you should rather go for the 750ti, due to NV's higher efficiency in DirectX. You'd be fine with the 260x in Mantle games, but most games aren't Mantle games.

Yeah, mantle support is really limited at the moment and tbh i am not that interested on the games that support it, the future sure looks good, its a nice plus but i guess i should not count on it.
So, nvidia is more efficient in direct x? I guess we are talking about overhead or something?

Maybe i should go for nvidia, i will make up the money difference from the power consumption and shadowplay looks neat.

d00d3n

I am thinking of upgrading my i5-3570k@4.6, 2x4 Gb ddr3 ram(1600), 2 x geforce 780 sli, geforce 750ti as dedicated physx card, 250Gb + 500Gb + 512Gb ssd system.

I am considering a i7-5820k cpu, asus x99-a motherboard, corsair vengence lpx 4x4 ddr4 ram(2666) system. The ssd drives and the physx card from my previous system will be retained. I will use my 2 x geforce 780 sli for the time being, and switch to a nvidia gm200 single card solution when the first gm200 card becomes available.

So ... Is it stupid to buy the cpu/motherboard/memory combo now instead of waiting for the release of gm200 gpus? Will the i7-5820k be a top of the line cpu choice six months down the line if gm200 is delayed?

My main motivation to do this upgrade is to get out of the destructive "waiting for good sli profiles that never come" mindset that has sucked out the enjoyment of AAA gaming this year. Upgrading cpu/motherboard/memory seems necessary to be able to have good performance in games down the line ... And it is nice to have taken the first steps to build a new system I guess.

Any reason why you want an ATX rig to do that? Consider mITX or atleast mATX, no need for a huge tower these days.

Heres an ITX example
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£238.74 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.82 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£94.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£61.04 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.68 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£267.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.75 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.00)
Total: £916.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 20:57 GMT+0000

This is pretty much exactly what I want although maybe with 16gb ram and a bigger SSD. Would this set up be noisy? I would prefer my next PC to be quiet because I want to have it in the front room.

tarheel91

I'd agree that 750Ti is the way to go with the options provided, but you can get a 265 for the price of a 750Ti and outpeform it pretty substantially.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJNQ8ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A 260X is 20%-25% cheaper than a 750Ti and not a direct competitor in my mind.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I paid the equivalent of $170 for the Seasonic G-750 this week. Boorns.
My main issue is that for the last rig I built, which was the 3930k, I ended up getting a nice Seasonic platinum 850 watt PSU and it would not bear the load of an overclocked i7 and 2 780 ti's.

It really put a damper on the rig because I ended up having to down clock the CPU and both GPUs in order for the rig not to turn off due to the load. That's why I want to avoid that particular issue with my high and rig for February. I didn't necessarily skimp for the PSU but I definitely undercut myself and the one listed earlier for 120 is an absolute steal for somebody building an enthusiast level multi GPU system.

That and a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU will churn over 500 Watts if you overclock.

axb2013

The G1 card length inside the case is just under (298.45 mm / 11.75 inch) long.
People have no idea how useful these posts can be, thank you for doing that.
Things have gotten a little better lately but just a year or two ago, one could easily run into conflicting info about dimensions. My clearance was 10.5", for the 7950 model I bought, there were no less than 3 different lengths listed, 10.28" (the correct one), 10.5" and 10.7".

dtcm83

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 is a very large card...I had no problem fitting my old Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 into my case (old-school Thermaltake Armor+ MX), but I did have to remove the internal HDD cage to fit the 970 inside. Measure your case first!

God damn. I wish I was in the market for a new PSU. I really want something modular and this is top notch. SSD and new monitor is way higher on the wishlist though.

If I had the money I would jump on that right now formy Haswell-E build. Most of the PSU's I'm scouting are in the 2-269 range.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=390

Points most docked for value for being too expensive (obviously not the case with this deal). Looks like a great PSU for the money.

I am in the market for when I upgrade my system (going to sell my current NZXT HALE90 750W), and I'm considering getting this and sitting on it until I do a full upgrade (buy and it will sit on the shelf lol). Not sure if I should do it haha.

I am in the market for when I upgrade my system (going to sell my current NZXT HALE90 750W), and I'm considering getting this and sitting on it until I do a full upgrade (buy and it will sit on the shelf lol). Not sure if I should do it haha.

You're more in the market for most of us. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have something I could already depend on. Do it. This deal won't come up that often.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
After a long week of assembling the parts and fumbling my way through a USB install of Windows, I finally have my PC all set up and ready to go! Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread who helped out along the way in putting together a pretty reasonably priced PC that is my first dip in PC gaming in about 10 years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.29 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($188.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS10B ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $735.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 12:35 EST-0500

I OC'ed my CPU to about 4.5GHz and I ran the Intel XTU stress-test yesterday for around two hours. After around 30-45 minutes temperatures stabilized at the 55-65C mark where they remained for the rest of the test, with the max hitting 70C. I didn't see any instabilities during this time so I assume that my PC will be fine. I've read people recommending that I should run the stress-test for 12 hours just to be sure. Is this necessary?

coughlanio

That would really be more of a sidegrade. Not worth it IMHO, unless you really want some NV-specific features (such as DSR).

Maybe buy an aftermarket cooler for your 290x, though I don't know what's currently on offer in that area.

I dropped my 290x into CEX this evening, should get €217 for it. Not bad considering you can pick one up new for about €300 these days. Once I have the cash I'll probably order a GTX 980. I am interested in some of the NVIDIA specific features, and it will nice to get away from AMD drivers.

Not expecting a performance upgrade or anything, but at least now I'll be able to OC my GPU.

Hanzou

I am on a budget and need to help my brother buy a GPU for the new pc we are building. He will be playing at 1080p and he is not super picky when it comes to framerate and fidelity so games do not need to run at 60 Al the time and don't need ultra setting with great aa. What is the cheapest we can go do you guys think. Looking at something in the $200 range but don't want something that will be struggling in a year. It's a new console era so I am having trouble guessing what is going to be needed In the future.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am on a budget and need to help my brother buy a GPU for the new pc we are building. He will be playing at 1080p and he is not super picky when it comes to framerate and fidelity so games do not need to run at 60 Al the time and don't need ultra setting with great aa. What is the cheapest we can go do you guys think. Looking at something in the $200 range but don't want something that will be struggling in a year. It's a new console era so I am having trouble guessing what is going to be needed In the future.
My reference R9 290 4GB :p
More vRAM seems to be a safer bet right now so the R9 280 with 3GB compared to 2GB should be good. If you want nVidia you'll have to spring a lot more money towards a 970.
After a long week of assembling the parts and fumbling my way through a USB install of Windows, I finally have my PC all set up and ready to go! Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread who helped out along the way in putting together a pretty reasonably priced PC that is my first dip in PC gaming in about 10 years.

I OC'ed my CPU to about 4.5GHz and I ran the Intel XTU stress-test yesterday for around two hours. After around 30-45 minutes temperatures stabilized at the 55-65C mark where they remained for the rest of the test, with the max hitting 70C. I didn't see any instabilities during this time so I assume that my PC will be fine. I've read people recommending that I should run the stress-test for 12 hours just to be sure. Is this necessary?
I don't anymore. Glad it's working!
Is this a decent motherboard for the price? My old one was not compatible with a i7 core. This one seems pretty decent.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=13-157-501
That is fine but I'd go with one in the OP unless you like the color scheme.
My main issue is that for the last rig I built, which was the 3930k, I ended up getting a nice Seasonic platinum 850 watt PSU and it would not bear the load of an overclocked i7 and 2 780 ti's.

It really put a damper on the rig because I ended up having to down clock the CPU and both GPUs in order for the rig not to turn off due to the load. That's why I want to avoid that particular issue with my high and rig for February. I didn't necessarily skimp for the PSU but I definitely undercut myself and the one listed earlier for 120 is an absolute steal for somebody building an enthusiast level multi GPU system.

That and a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU will churn over 500 Watts if you overclock.
That seems high? What voltages were you running and was the load artificial bench load or normal usage? The Seasonic Plat should be able to 'safely' overdraw into 1000W territory at Silver/Bronze levels which should be more than enough. Did you have a kill-a-watt or just experience symptoms?

LiquidMetal14

Holy shit! I did not know that.
That's if you plan on a modest 4.4+GHz OC. Its serious business.

But the power you draw is power that serves you via better performance.

I would rwcommend a minimum of 1000w Good/Platinum rated PSU if you're going to OC and go SLI/XF.

MetalDeer

Did anyone post that tiger direct has the 4690k on sale for $195?
http://slickdeals.net/f/7354012-int...150-processor-194-99-shipping-tigerdirect?v=1

Also, is that power supply really a deal at $20 off? I need one eventually so I'll buy now rather than wait for holiday deals if it is.

It's sold out now, sadly. The deal was half off plus a $20 rebate.

Unless you really need that much wattage, you can get a good PSU for most needs around $120 or less, anyways.

LiquidMetal14

That seems high? What voltages were you running and was the load artificial bench load or normal usage? The Seasonic Plat should be able to 'safely' overdraw into 1000W territory at Silver/Bronze levels which should be more than enough. Did you have a kill-a-watt or just experience symptoms?
1.360 for a stable 4.6. No kill-a-watt.

I read up on this at the time and found various users who measured and also showed over 500w on a 4.5ghz+ 3930k. I couldn't believe it but it is an consumer level enthusiast Intel CPU.

I won't be making the same mistake again for my Haswell-E build.

LiquidMetal14

Saved this question for a separate post.

Can those who built a Haswell-E rig chime in and list their parts with possible prices?

I sent a PM to a poster but he hasn't responded. I've already picked out the motherboard, memory, CPU, cooler, and power supply as of now. I'm trying to find a good middle ground and understand that some of these components are going to be a little more but to be honest the only one particular aspect of this build is the memory. DDR 4 is definitely at a premium due to the new car smell of the x99 platform.

As I said, any suggestions or input would go a long way to helping me narrow things down. Especially if it's coming from people who have actually built and x99 based PC.

I am thinking of upgrading my i5-3570k@4.6, 2x4 Gb ddr3 ram(1600), 2 x geforce 780 sli, geforce 750ti as dedicated physx card, 250Gb + 500Gb + 512Gb ssd system.

I am considering a i7-5820k cpu, asus x99-a motherboard, corsair vengence lpx 4x4 ddr4 ram(2666) system. The ssd drives and the physx card from my previous system will be retained. I will use my 2 x geforce 780 sli for the time being, and switch to a nvidia gm200 single card solution when the first gm200 card becomes available.

So ... Is it stupid to buy the cpu/motherboard/memory combo now instead of waiting for the release of gm200 gpus? Will the i7-5820k be a top of the line cpu choice six months down the line if gm200 is delayed?

My main motivation to do this upgrade is to get out of the destructive "waiting for good sli profiles that never come" mindset that has sucked out the enjoyment of AAA gaming this year. Upgrading cpu/motherboard/memory seems necessary to be able to have good performance in games down the line ... And it is nice to have taken the first steps to build a new system I guess.
I doubt much is going to change in the Haswell-E market for a while. Look up what happened with Ivy-E and Sandy-E, that'll probably tell you.

Do you really want X99 right now or is it just a way to scratch the itch until the single GPU comes out that you really want?

Darkroronoa

I'd agree that 750Ti is the way to go with the options provided, but you can get a 265 for the price of a 750Ti and outpeform it pretty substantially.

265 is tempting but consumes more power, although its not a huge difference, hmm..
And its pretty much about same price as the 750ti. Its really a nice choice.

Anyway, thanks for your answers guys! I will think about it through the weekend considering the feedback and i will make a choice :p

appaws

Banned

I really have to disagree with Durante here...

The 750ti is a fit in very specific circumstances where power limitations are the main thing. It gets recommended way too often to people who are not in that situation.

It is solidly outperformed by the AMD cards in the same price range.

paolo11

Ok, I know I asked about Windows 8.1 offline usage and all but..

Is it true that if you use Windows 8.1 offline for a long time, Windows will ask a validation check?

Also, I saw this micro ITX build kinda similar to my proposed build

XCube Titan Z build from Maingear:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97-ds3h USB 3.0 and SATA 6G

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Anniversary Edition G3258 (3M Cache, 3.20 GHz) with Intel® HD Graphics OVERCLOCKED TO 4.4GHZ

Memory: 8GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x4GB)

Hard Drive Bay One: 500GB Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA

Power Supply: 600W Corsair® Builder Series 80 Plus Certified PSU

for $1500.0

I am noob but will the CPU (Intel Pentium) bottleneck the Titan Z?

Addnan

Titan Z is a waste of money first thing and then a pentium is very much the bare minimum CPU for low budget build, would never pair with a high end card. You want a PC that makes sense in all departments.

paolo11

Hmmm Thanks for the response.

How about this question?

Is it true that if you use Windows 8.1 offline for a long time, Windows will ask a validation check?

Reason why I asked because my computer tech received some computers that were not working for a long time then when he opens the laptop, Windows 8.1 is asking for license key or validation check. Is this true?

garath

Hmmm Thanks for the response.

How about this question?

Reason why I asked because my computer tech received some computers that were not working for a long time then when he opens the laptop, Windows 8.1 is asking for license key or validation check. Is this true?

I've never heard of an OS that requires internet.

Every version of windows ever has required a license key. It MAY require a one time activation over the internet (or phone if you have no internet) but after that it should never ask again unless you change key hardware.

What type of motherboard & Power Supply would I need to run 2 GPUs?
Thinking of buying another 1GB card to add to my 3GB GPU.

Will a 600 PSU be enough?

Do the graphic cards have to be from the same brand/company?

Do I need any special modifications or apps to run that, or is it as simple as adding in ram?

paolo11

I've never heard of an OS that requires internet.

Every version of windows ever has required a license key. It MAY require a one time activation over the internet (or phone if you have no internet) but after that it should never ask again unless you change key hardware.

Key hardware? Like HDD and motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom