• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezen

Banned
Jay, installed the new RAM, and now everything works perfectly! No more blue screens during advanced warfare! However, when checking if everything works fine, something else made me worried: MSI afterburner gave CPU temperatures in the 90-100 degrees range. Idle it is a stable 55 degrees, but when playing a game or downloading something, it skyrockets to around 95 degrees. That isn't very healthy, right?

Something is wrong, is your heatsink well in place ? Change the thermal paste.

Jay, installed the new RAM, and now everything works perfectly! No more blue screens during advanced warfare! However, when checking if everything works fine, something else made me worried: MSI afterburner gave CPU temperatures in the 90-100 degrees range. Idle it is a stable 55 degrees, but when playing a game or downloading something, it skyrockets to around 95 degrees. That isn't very healthy, right?

Heatsink isn't set up right. Clean it, reapply paste, reattach.

edit: what he said^

Pehesse

-Yes, I think a 970 would be a good fit, 980 would work too if it fits the budget. Maybe go up to 16GB RAM, I wouldn't change anything else.

-You can and should definitely do it yourself, it's easy and be done within a few minutes.

Thanks a lot for your advice! What's the main difference between a 970 and a 980? I see a difference of about 200 euros between the two (French prices here). Is the performance difference so great to warrant this (other budget considerations non withstanding)? Would it be better to go for a 970+8 more GB of RAM compared to a single 980?

Also, on the subject of streaming, I forgot to mention that I have a Netgear CG3700B. Is that enough to stream to a shield tablet? I can't really seem to find info in regards to that...

Effect

Don't get the 8320. It will be a bottleneck for games.

A friend of mine settled for that instead of jumping to an 8350 or even a decent i5 CPU for around 30 more.

Thanks. I'm also looking at the prices of the motherboards as well and not just the cost of the cpu.

When people say "bottleneck" are they saying that with the assumption one will be attempting to play at max settings and higher resolutions? Or just at any setting?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks. I'm also looking at the prices of the motherboards as well and not just the cost of the cpu.

When people say "bottleneck" are they saying that with the assumption one will be attempting to play at max settings and higher resolutions? Or just at any setting?
To try and put it simply, you will feel the strain from that CPU and what it lacks compared to a slightly more pricier offering on the MD or preferably the Intel side. This is what I did for a friend that wanted that same CPU but I talk to him about spending a little more for an i5 4320 or something in that range. It worked out really well. Not only did he get himself a nice lowering quad core Haswell processor, he open the door for a potential upgrade to something like a 4770 K CPU. So it's not just about getting or compromising on a CPU but opening the door for a more than rock solid future upgrade to a viable CPU that will fit in the same socket.

That 8320 will affect your over gamibg and general system speed of things which require more grunt.

So I have a GTX760 2GB I bought back in July.

If you were me, would you get a 970 and sell the 760?

I don't know why but I want a 970.

I was a in a similar situation, as I bought my 760 last summer and felt the urge to get a 970 recently.

Bought the EVGA 970 FTW and its a nice upgrade over the 760, especially if you want to mess around with DSR in games.

I plan on keeping my 760 for when I build a small form factor PC down the road since it was still a perfectly capable card for most of the games I was playing.

Certain games are cpu bound. If the cpu is struggling to work the math for a scene the framerate suffers. The gpu is what draws the scene.

Get a Z97 mobo and a Intel G3258. You'll outperform that AMD at a lower price too. Later on you can upgrade to a 4xxx series since it's on the same socket.

LiquidMetal14

Get a Z97 mobo and a Intel G3258. You'll outperform that AMD at a lower price too. Later on you can upgrade to a 4xxx series since it's on the same socket.
Anything that opens up better CPU upgrades on the same socket is great. That's why even jumping from a good know end Haswell to a high one is a nice options to have.

axb2013

Thanks a lot for your advice! What's the main difference between a 970 and a 980? I see a difference of about 200 euros between the two (French prices here). Is the performance difference so great to warrant this (other budget considerations non withstanding)? Would it be better to go for a 970+8 more GB of RAM compared to a single 980?

Also, on the subject of streaming, I forgot to mention that I have a Netgear CG3700B. Is that enough to stream to a shield tablet? I can't really seem to find info in regards to that...

In terms of price and performance, 980 doesn't offer an advantage that "justifies" it's higher cost. 980 makes sense if there is other criteria in play such as higher resolution or downsampling. To put it differently, it's easier to reason into buying 2 970's for a minor price increase over a single 980 and get more bang for buck. Going to 16GB + 970 for less than a 980 is a financial issue only, it doesn't have an impact on the GPU performance but on overall experience, it doesn't make a case against the 980 outside the budget concern. CG3700B is not the weak link, it's more about the shield's connectivity.

It all depends how each user weighs criteria individually. If you are gaming at 1080p, I would go 970+16GB.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

First, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the MSI gaming app twice now but when I launch it it just appears as a tray icon but then it disappears when I mouse over it. The app itself never even shows up. Help?

Second, here are some benchmarks from my MSI Gold edition. How do these look to you guys? Can you give me any indicators on what I can or should push up anymore using Afterburner or should I be happy with these results and stop with the benchmark insanity?

No manual OC applied, right out of the box.
OCdl1Wu.png

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4718525?

3rd run after doing some gaming:
Core clock 1,279 MHz
Memory bus clock 1,819 MHz
Graphics Score 12752
Overall 9567

To be clear, those are the numbers from the 3DMark page, not the Nvidia Inspector numbers.

Thanks!

Installed my first SSD last night with Windows 8.1.

2 minute boot time went to a less than 10 second boot time.

Holy hell, I've been missing out!

LiquidMetal14

I have, whatcha need?
Parts and prices as well as some of your thoughts. I'm mainly buying the motherboard, CPU, PSU, CPU cooler, and new graphics cards. I'm basically transplanting my Corsair 500r, optical and hard drives, and any other things such as fans, case filters, etc.

roytheone

Something is wrong, is your heatsink well in place ? Change the thermal paste.

Fixed the problem. I had to update my bios in order to make it recognize the new ram, and somehow, that also messed with my CPU clock speeds. After putting everything back to stock settings, I get temperatures between the 75 and 85 degrees. Still a little bit hot, but a lot better than before. Still, I haven't cleaned my CPU fan in a long time, so it is probably smart to do it anyway.

coughlanio

How much of an issue are AMD drivers? I'm going to be building a PC for the first time this coming Black Friday and thought this would be good to know.

Also, you couldn't overclock before?

Well the issue with the 290x is that it has a 95 degree thermal limit, which it reaches easily at stock clocks, causing it to throttle to stay within the 95 degree limit. Overclocking just meant it was hitting that limit sooner.

If you're set going with AMD, then make sure you get a 290x with a custom cooler.

In terms of driver issues, I was having DisplayPort syncing issues, where it wasn't detecting the monitor correctly, forcing a low resolution. This could well be an issue with my monitor, but it works fine with over DP with my laptop which has an Nvidia GPU.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Parts and prices as well as some of your thoughts. I'm mainly buying the motherboard, CPU, PSU, CPU cooler, and new graphics cards. I'm basically transplanting my Corsair 500r, optical and hard drives, and any other things such as fans, case filters, etc.

I went with the 5820k cpu, no real need to go higher than that and you can get it for 299 and Microcenter. The 28 lane vs 40 lane is a moot point even for sli, the performance gains 16 vs 8 is unnoticeable.

For the motherboard I got the Asus x99 deluxe, but a lot of people just went with the regular Asus x99, depends on the features you want. Newegg had the better deal again here.

For ram, really depends, I wanted to overclock and heard G.Skill ram was a beast so went with 32 gigs @2400mhz but 2133 will service you just fine. Newegg had better prices than amazon here!

Cooling I went with Corsair H110, great solution that keeps everything cool and nice!

Graphics go with gtx 970, I have twin 290x but I already had one so figured I would hold for a killer upgrade once we get some better video cards with 6 gigs of ram on reference boards. The 980gtx seems sweet, but I would wait before spending 500+, more powerful solutions coming next year with more ram.

Always check this site : http://pcpartpicker.com/search/?cc=us&q=Samsung+UN65HU8700

Check the best price from numerous vendors.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Well the issue with the 290x is that it has a 95 degree thermal limit, which it reaches easily at stock clocks, causing it to throttle to stay within the 95 degree limit. Overclocking just meant it was hitting that limit sooner.

If you're set going with AMD, then make sure you get a 290x with a custom cooler.

In terms of driver issues, I was having DisplayPort syncing issues, where it wasn't detecting the monitor correctly, forcing a low resolution. This could well be an issue with my monitor, but it works fine with over DP with my laptop which has an Nvidia GPU.

Yep, agreed! If you want the best of the bunch get the MSI 290x Lightning. A beast of a card, 970 have newer tech however and consume less power but they are a tiny bit slower on some games at Higher rez, otherwise 970 takes the crown slightly at a better price.

Pehesse

In terms of price and performance, 980 doesn't offer an advantage that "justifies" it's higher cost. 980 makes sense if there is other criteria in play such as higher resolution or downsampling. To put it differently, it's easier to reason into buying 2 970's for a minor price increase over a single 980 and get more bang for buck. Going to 16GB + 970 for less than a 980 is a financial issue only, it doesn't have an impact on the GPU performance but on overall experience, it doesn't make a case against the 980 outside the budget concern. CG3700B is not the weak link, it's more about the shield's connectivity.

It all depends how each user weighs criteria individually. If you are gaming at 1080p, I would go 970+16GB.

Many, many thanks for your overall insights! I'll follow your advice and go 970+16GB then :)

for ordering a GTX 970

is a GTX 970 Asus Strix okay
Yeah those are good. I was debating between an MSI Gaming and an Asus Strix and only got the MSI because it was the first one on sale that I could find.

thanks.... looked around and I see it benchmarking quite niceley

I also like the fan feature

Hey guys, what are some of the best internal blu-ray reader/writers for my desktop? I want one for Christmas, but I want to be able to tell my GF which one I want.

for ordering a GTX 970

is a GTX 970 Asus Strix okay

Yeah those are good. I was debating between an MSI Gaming and an Asus Strix and only got the MSI because it was the first one on sale that I could find.

Kezen

Banned
Fixed the problem. I had to update my bios in order to make it recognize the new ram, and somehow, that also messed with my CPU clock speeds. After putting everything back to stock settings, I get temperatures between the 75 and 85 degrees. Still a little bit hot, but a lot better than before. Still, I haven't cleaned my CPU fan in a long time, so it is probably smart to do it anyway.

75-85 on load is too much. My 4770K with OCCT is around 55-60.

Want to replace a 6850 1gb.

Suggestions?

I'm looking to support 1080p and maybe some down sampling. Prefer "ultra" settings and want DX12 support to future proof my rig for a while.

...what would be a good amount of vram?

Addnan

Want to replace a 6850 1gb.

Suggestions?

I'm looking to support 1080p and maybe some down sampling. Prefer "ultra" settings and want DX12 support to future proof my rig for a while.

...what would be a good amount of vram?

4x GTX 980s.
What is your budget and PSU?

paskowitz

Just a nice discovery. I am using my CM Hyper 212 Evo fan on the bottom of my case since I switched to water cooling my CPU. At first had it screwed into my Fractal Design R4 and the vibration was pretty bad, even below 1000rpm. So I decided to gorilla glue duct tape some rubber washers to the bottom of the fan and then tape that case... no more vibration!

This kinda got me thinking (higher end) case manufactures should put soft materials on fan mounting points. Are there any cases that do this?

My front 140mm case fan that came with the case and the stock H100i fans rattle like crazy. I think the front fractal fan has to do with the plastic mounting frame, while the H100i fans just suck.

I know everybody will tell me that I should just have to test every single part, but I'm having a huge problem and feel like I'm at a loss. My computer hangs at the BIOS splash screen. Many times it will start and quickly shut off before rebooting, but it will then stay on and hang at the splash screen. I have taken out various components one by one. So far, it does not appear to be either my hard drives, 780 graphics card, or RAM.

I know it probably sounds obvious that it is the PSU since it will shut off and reboot itself, but I can't understand why the fans and leds all work and will stay on just fine, and it will continue displaying the splash screen (although no options will work). I have even tried shorting the CMOS. I guess I really just don't want to replace my expensive 1500w PSU if I can avoid it. This literally occurred overnight, as it worked fine two days ago (with never a problem before) and it just refuses to work now.

It is a GA-X79-UP4 motherboard. I apologize that I don't have specifics about the processor or other parts (it is a prebuilt iBUYPOWER that I bought secondhand approximately a year ago, and some of the details slip my mind). I wanted to see if anyone had any immediate suggestions. Thanks guys.

So I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing. I recently bought an MSI R9 270x TWIN FROZR card to upgrade my PC from an HD 6670 and for the first 4 or so hours it seemed fine so I went to bed after installation. After I woke up however it's been nonstop issues of this thing just refusing to work anymore. I've tried different PCI-E slots, I've tried every possible connector from the PSU, I've tried multiple different drivers, I've tried switching the little switch on the card itself over and getting absolutely nothing.

The farthest I can manage to surmise is that the issue is driver related because whenever I try to update the drivers at this point after rolling everything back to normal is it getting the installed the AMD Display Adapters and then going into a black screen in which the PC is still on and everything still works but I simply can't see anything on screen and upon rebooting it just stays hung up on a black screen after the Windows logo while also shutting off power from both my mouse and keyboard. Changing from DVI to HDMI doesn't seem to fix anything either. Please help. =(

My exact build is as followed in this link though I'm now using Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7 and I no longer have the disc drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/VidulaSaix/saved/yf3ypg

Just ordered a new PSU, wanted one with full modular cables.

About to pull the trigger on the 970, ASUS seems to be tops right?

Also - my motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V, and it has been fine for me, but I want to add some more fans to my case (Fractal R2 Define).

Right now I have 1 front intake, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 side exhaust, plus a Hyper 212 EVO with just one fan. That takes up 4 of the 5 fan jacks on the MB - I need to buy a fan controller to get extra connector/power ports right?

LiquidMetal14

I went with the 5820k cpu, no real need to go higher than that and you can get it for 299 and Microcenter. The 28 lane vs 40 lane is a moot point even for sli, the performance gains 16 vs 8 is unnoticeable.

For the motherboard I got the Asus x99 deluxe, but a lot of people just went with the regular Asus x99, depends on the features you want. Newegg had the better deal again here.

For ram, really depends, I wanted to overclock and heard G.Skill ram was a beast so went with 32 gigs @2400mhz but 2133 will service you just fine. Newegg had better prices than amazon here!

Cooling I went with Corsair H110, great solution that keeps everything cool and nice!

Graphics go with gtx 970, I have twin 290x but I already had one so figured I would hold for a killer upgrade once we get some better video cards with 6 gigs of ram on reference boards. The 980gtx seems sweet, but I would wait before spending 500+, more powerful solutions coming next year with more ram.

Always check this site : http://pcpartpicker.com/search/?cc=us&q=Samsung+UN65HU8700

Check the best price from numerous vendors.
I'm already ahead of the game regarding that and that website. But I do appreciate you sharing the other components you got. Without getting specifics on the makes and manufactures I so far have gone with either the Asus Pro for around 329, 16 gigabytes 2800 g.skill memory which is also around 329, the 5930 K which is about 529 on newegg right now, and a 1250 watt gold rated PSU for around 209. I also am either going with an h110i or any of the ones in the 120 range. Provably with the 140mm fans.

For GPU's, I'm probably going to go with two 970's or two 980's.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I'll give it till December before I just say fuck it and go with the mATX x99 ASrock mobo then waiting for the gigabyte mATX X99.

ricki42

Just a nice discovery. I am using my CM Hyper 212 Evo fan on the bottom of my case since I switched to water cooling my CPU. At first had it screwed into my Fractal Design R4 and the vibration was pretty bad, even below 1000rpm. So I decided to gorilla glue duct tape some rubber washers to the bottom of the fan and then tape that case... no more vibration!

This kinda got me thinking (higher end) case manufactures should put soft materials on fan mounting points. Are there any cases that do this?

My front 140mm case fan that came with the case and the stock H100i fans rattle like crazy. I think the front fractal fan has to do with the plastic mounting frame, while the H100i fans just suck.

My Fractal Design R4 came with a bunch of rubber washers for extra fans. I also got some Noctua fans that have soft material around the screw holes. I don't think it would make sense to put the material on the case's fan mounting points, since those are often designed to accommodate different fan and radiator sizes. Just get some rubber washers for your rattling fans.

I'm already ahead of the game regarding that and that website. But I do appreciate you sharing the other components you got. Without getting specifics on the makes and manufactures I so far have gone with either the Asus Pro for around 329, 16 gigabytes 2800 g.skill memory which is also around 329, the 5930 K which is about 529 on newegg right now, and a 1250 watt gold rated PSU for around 209. I also am either going with an h110i or any of the ones in the 120 range. Provably with the 140mm fans.

For the price of two 980s,you can get 3 970s

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Definitely 2x970. You'll need to upgrade next year anyway if you want to stay on the bleeding edge so save yourself a few hundred now.

Edit: I would also replace the 5930k for a 5820k. You won't see any difference between the 2 even in sli. Then again I consider this upgrade a middle of the road one, this will just hold me off until faster 8 cores come out with the x99 successor.

Fxp

A time has come to upgrade my CPU and GPU. Based on this topic I have chosen i5 4460 and GTX 970. Not trying to reach for the stars here, just build he PC that will last for next ~ 3 years. I'm still playing on my old LCD 4:3 monitor with 1600x1200 native resolution.
Maybe some little extra money will get me better gaming CPU? I don't plan to overclock anything.

knitoe

A time has come to upgrade my CPU and GPU. Based on this topic I have chosen i5 4460 and GTX 970. Not trying to reach for the stars here, just build he PC that will last for next ~ 3 years. I'm still playing on my old LCD 4:3 monitor with 1600x1200 native resolution.
Maybe some little extra money will get me better gaming CPU? I don't plan to overclock anything.
Should get K processor and OC it. Free 1GHz increase is a huge performance gain for gaming. From 3 years ago, a 2500 would need to be upgraded while a 2500K@4.5GHz will still be viable for awhile.

And, with the new hardware, time to upgrade to at least 1080p monitor.

M.D

I should receive my i7 4790K tomorrow and potentially have my new PC at home by monday.. so exciting ;p

Do you guys know if the free game deal is only for certain countries? Its not mentioned by any retailer here

Hope I won't miss out on Far Cry 4 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom