• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

Does anyone have experience with the nzxt h440h?
I'm looking at upgrading my case to something that would fit AIO watercooling and that's fairly quiet.
Any other suggestions are welcome, preferably a mid size tower, as I can't be bothered getting a new motherboard.

GHG

Gold Member
Is it a bad idea to invest in the 2011 socket now? A 3930k is damn well tempting at the moment.

If I get one and an x99 motherboard will I be able to carry over the 16gb RAM in my existing machine (3570k build) or will I need to buy new RAM as well?

Or should I just wait until the next round (I have a 4.6 ghz 3570k at the moment)?

I would be pairing this with sli 970's or 980's or a Titan Z by the way (still undecided here).

Damerman

Does anyone have experience with the nzxt h440h?
I'm looking at upgrading my case to something that would fit AIO watercooling and that's fairly quiet.
Any other suggestions are welcome, preferably a mid size tower, as I can't be bothered getting a new motherboard.

I've seen plenty of reviews for it and if i could, i would have got it over the NZXT s340. The only thing that bothers me about that case is the fact that its 20 inches tall rather than 17 inches like the s340.

The case is very nice looking, sound dampeners, a lot of cooling options and very easy cable management. I'd go for that case no matter what.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Is it a bad idea to invest in the 2011 socket now? A 3930k is damn well tempting at the moment.

If I get one and an x99 motherboard will I be able to carry over the 16gb RAM in my existing machine (3570k build) or will I need to buy new RAM as well?

Or should I just wait until the next round (I have a 4.6 ghz 3570k at the moment)?

I would be pairing this with sli 970's or 980's or a Titan Z by the way (still undecided here).

X99 uses ddr4, so you need new expensive ram :(.

Kezen

Banned
Yeh I just looked at the prices of DDR4... Holy batman. Is this stuff worth the extra cost?

It does not yield better performance. DDR3 is also pretty expensive these days.

But that's the price to pay to be ahead of the curve.

MoonGred

I've seen plenty of reviews for it and if i could, i would have got it over the NZXT s340. The only thing that bothers me about that case is the fact that its 20 inches tall rather than 17 inches like the s340.

The case is very nice looking, sound dampeners, a lot of cooling options and very easy cable management. I'd go for that case no matter what.

Yea the reviews I read all seemed pretty good as well, only one random one got me worried for some reason.
I'm a bit put off by the sound dampening ripping when putting the right side on though.

GHG

Gold Member
It does not yield better performance. DDR3 is also pretty expensive these days.

But that's the price to pay to be ahead of the curve.

If it's not yielding better performance I'm not really seeing the point in spending all that cash then.

Is a x79 motherboard a bad investment at the moment?

Does the 3930k work on those boards?

Fxp

Should get K processor and OC it. Free 1GHz increase is a huge performance gain for gaming. From 3 years ago, a 2500 would need to be upgraded while a 2500K@4.5GHz will still be viable for awhile.

And, with the new hardware, time to upgrade to at least 1080p monitor.

So, which K processor would you recommend, i5-4690K?

I've recently moved to a country where the cost of electricity increases exponentially as you use it. So, I need to build an HTPC that is as low powered and cheap as possible to be on 24/7 as my phone will be connected to it. It will be used exclusively to watch movies and talk VOIP. This is what I've been playing around with, PC Partpicker has it at 74W, total. Before anyone asks, the G3258 pulls over twice the watts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.40 @ Amazon)
Case: Apevia X-FIT-100 Mini ITX Tower Case w/250W Power Supply ($49.51 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG BT30N Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $290.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 15:38 EST-0500

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks guys.

Might just stick with my 3570k for a while longer and see how I go then.

Will just do the GPU upgrade for now. I'm just sceptical about how long 4gb VRAM will last for, especially when I plan on upgrading to 4k in the near future. Might go for the titan z just for the 6gb.

Boss Man

I've recently moved to a country where the cost of electricity increases exponentially as you use it. So, I need to build an HTPC that is as low powered and cheap as possible to be on 24/7 as my phone will be connected to it. It will be used exclusively to watch movies and talk VOIP. This is what I've been playing around with, PC Partpicker has it at 74W, total. Before anyone asks, the G3258 pulls over twice the watts.
You should get a SSD for storage. Going to add to the cost, but the performance boost and energy savings are hard to pass on.

You should get a SSD for storage. Going to add to the cost, but the performance boost and energy savings are hard to pass on.

That's a balancing act between cost/TDP/storage space. Going with a reasonably priced SSD would require that I buy a HDD for storage anyway. That would increase the wattage and price. I can't justify dropping a $400 SSD into a $200 build.

RedSwirl

Never asked this before actually but: What's the best/cheapest way to get a remote to control your PC? Particularly for multimedia tasks?

My PC is hooked up to a TV but I never got around to investigating actual remotes. My wireless keyboard (that works with a USB dongle) has play/pause buttons that work with most media programs I guess. I imagine there are remotes that work with the same kind of signal? And I'm pretty sure XBMC is designed to work with that kind of stuff right?

Lastly, if I were to upgrade to Windows 8 one day (it does seem to make more sense on an HTPC), there are ways to get regular remotes to control the Metro UI right? Or at least an Xbox controller.

Kezen

Banned
If it's not yielding better performance I'm not really seeing the point in spending all that cash then.

DDR4 consumes less power I think, and there must be a technical reason why it's mandatory for the latest batch of enthusiast CPUs.
I don't think the 3930K works.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No reason to get a 1250W PSU. Even a good bit overclocked a single 970 only draws about 200W.
A 6 core Intel draws over 500w by itself overclocked though. I'm not playing it safe with another 850w PSU and 3 potential GPU's.

I have a very good idea in terms of what the power requirements would be on even a 5930 ok. That's why I don't want to settle on a meager 850w PSU. I'm coming right now with a Sandy Bridge E x99 based system. I understand the thoughts and prices regarding a high end build.this is why the only thing that looks out of line with me, as someone you should consider an enthusiast builder, I really only consider the memory cost as something more of a premium. I'm carrying over optical and hard drives and my case. This will probably at least see me in the neighborhood of around four to six hundred dollars on this particular build. I'm really only investing in five core components. CPU, 2 or 3 GP use, motherboard, memory,and a good CPU cooler.

Intend to stay high end as I've had enthusiast level rigs for around 2 to 3 years now. Even before that I had a very good Sandy Bridge 2500 K based system. It also helps that I'm offsetting costs of this particular haswell-e build with me selling my current X 79 build.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Thanks guys.

Might just stick with my 3570k for a while longer and see how I go then.

Will just do the GPU upgrade for now. I'm just sceptical about how long 4gb VRAM will last for, especially when I plan on upgrading to 4k in the near future. Might go for the titan z just for the 6gb.

I bet not long, I assume by next October reference boards will start at 6 gb.

LilJoka

A 6 core Intel draws over 500w by itself overclocked though. I'm not playing it safe with another 850w PSU and 3 potential GPU's.

I have a very good idea in terms of what the power requirements would be on even a 5930 ok. That's why I don't want to settle on a meager 850w PSU. I'm coming right now with a Sandy Bridge E x99 based system. I understand the thoughts and prices regarding a high end build.this is why the only thing that looks out of line with me, as someone you should consider an enthusiast builder, I really only consider the memory cost as something more of a premium. I'm carrying over optical and hard drives and my case. This will probably at least see me in the neighborhood of around four to six hundred dollars on this particular build. I'm really only investing in five core components. CPU, 2 or 3 GP use, motherboard, memory,and a good CPU cooler.

Intend to stay high end as I've had enthusiast level rigs for around 2 to 3 years now. Even before that I had a very good Sandy Bridge 2500 K based system. It also helps that I'm offsetting costs of this particular haswell-e build with me selling my current X 79 build.

hmm i used a Killawatt on my 3960x running 4.6Ghz 1.40v, prime95 small fft, hit around 250-300W at the wall. At 80% efficiency thats 240W from the PSU 12v rail. 500W would be insane! No conventional cooling could even dissipate that. I was using a Thermalright Silver Arrow SB Extreme air cooler. PSU was a Corsair TX650.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member

That's not true. I assume you arrived at that 500W figure by measuring by a power meter via. the wall, which means that figure also includes the power consumed by the motherboard, storage, GPU etc.

SugarDave

Almost done with my first ever build. Before I install the GPU, I just have the storage devices next. The SATA cable that goes into the PSU has 3 connectors to go into the hard drives. can I use the one cable to power both my HDD and SSD, or do they each need their own cable?

knitoe

So, which K processor would you recommend, i5-4690K?
The 4690K would be great. It's recommended in the OP.
Almost done with my first ever build. Before I install the GPU, I just have the storage devices next. The SATA cable that goes into the PSU has 3 connectors to go into the hard drives. can I use the one cable to power both my HDD and SSD, or do they each need their own cable?
You can connect them to the same sata power cable.

LilJoka

That's not true. I assume you arrived at that 500W figure by measuring by a power meter via. the wall, which means that figure also includes the power consumed by the motherboard, storage, GPU etc.

Even that is unrealistic, unless you ran some GPU bench simultaneously with a CPU stress test.

LilJoka

Yes 3930k works on X79 along with the 4930k. 3930k generally overclocks better than the 4930k. 4930k at about 200Mhz lower speed than a 3930k will give same performance.

ombz

You can power both on one cable so config it to whatever fits best in your case.
To be clear the SATA cable connects your HDD and SSD to your motherboard so make sure you have that connected also.

Edit: maybe the power cable is also called SATA? Either way make sure everything is connected

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

This can't be right! I'm running an overclocked Sandy-E 3930K with a 290 (also OC'ed), 2 SSHD, 2 SSD all on a 500W PSU with no issues.

I did some more research and was wondering if this would a good deal to get now, or if I should wait until black friday to see if I can get a better deal.

Budget: 1,500
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
(Price: 279.99 @ Microcenter)

Ram: AMD 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
(Price: 160 @ Amazon)

MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
(Price 124.20 @ Newegg)

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
(Price 286.53 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
(Price:34.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
(Price: 65 @ Microcenter)

Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
(Price 65.49 @ Amazon)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
(Price: 27.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
(Price: 16.99 @ OutletPC)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
(Price: 279.99 @ Microcenter)

Total: 1061.18

I want to get this pc mainly for gaming and working on my artwork. I'm going to use it for slight video editing and making music. I also don't want to overclock it, so I'm not sure if my power supply is too powerful. .

I'm still not sure what monitor/headset/keyboard/and mouse to get.

My deadline would be black friday/cyber monday.

SugarDave

Which cables should I use to power my Gigabyte GTX 970? It's got an 8-pin and 6-pin connector. The cables labelled VGA with my PSU only have 6+2 pin connectors and the card itself came with 8-pin and 6-pin molex(?) connectors.

Do I just need to use two of those VGA cables (using one with 6+2 pin connected and the other with just the 6) or should I be using those ones that came with the GPU?

RGM79

Which cables should I use to power my Gigabyte GTX 970? It's got an 8-pin and 6-pin connector. The cables labelled VGA with my PSU only have 6+2 pin connectors and the card itself came with 8-pin and 6-pin molex(?) connectors.

Do I just need to use two of those VGA cables (using one with 6+2 pin connected and the other with just the 6) or should I be using those ones that came with the GPU?

Don't use the cable adaptors that came with the card. Those are only to be used in case you have an older power supply that doesn't come with the right cable connectors.

Yes, just plug in your power supply's 6+2 pin cable into the 8 pin port, and just the 6 pin without the extra 2 pins into the 6 pin port.

hey all , havent built a pc in forever and was looking for advice. So im looking to spend around 1300$ and want a gaming rig. was shopping around and fell on this which seems interesting and wanted opinions or better options.
http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=9554B1C9-626D-4C13-87DC90D921007B06-6127903

thanks for the help :)

That system cheaps out on the motherboard, they went with a older B85 chipset instead of the usual Z97 performance motherboard. Here's the value of all the parts if you choose to buy them yourself. That doesn't include extras like the 2 free games, free hat and T-shirt, of course. You stand to save $140+ if you build it yourself, as well as being able to change some parts out for better ones.

I have a technical question regarding some BIOS settings.

I've recently unearthed my ancient Toshiba Satellite 2410 featuring a Pentium 4-M. While rummaging through its somewhat rudimentary BIOS, I've noticed that you can choose/switch the CPU's cache write policy between write-through and write-back. Which one would be better for an old gaming laptop? I'm trying to squeeze as much power out of it for classic turn-based stuff like Heroes 3, Disciples 2 etc.

Write-back.

ricki42

Use the PSUs VGA cables.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I read up on this over a year ago on my 3930k. The thing is, maybe mine required more juice ad that's the kind of choose I got. 2 OC'd 789ti's and the 4.6ghz CPU at 1.360 vcore caused my 850w to kick off. And that thing pulls almost 1000w from the wall.

I suppose that running the two high end graphics cards as well as probably 12 chassis fans and all the other components put my PSU through its paces. I really don't know but I went through all this trouble shooting and all this last year when I had my overclock on the six core CPU and two very high end graphics cards. I went ahead and read several reviews from websites that pulled these numbers from my CPU. I suspect the 5930k is more power efficient but I can only remember what I read and once I turn down my overclocks and basically went back to stock levels on both the CPU and two GPUs, everything was more stable and I had less or no more system shutdown s.

kevm3

How necessary will it be to have a card with 8gb vram? I bought a 970 4gb now, but I'm concerned with whether or not I should return it and get the 8gb version when it comes out.

LilJoka

How necessary will it be to have a card with 8gb vram? I bought a 970 4gb now, but I'm concerned with whether or not I should return it and get the 8gb version when it comes out.

Have fun with what you have, don't work yourself up about these things, you never know what will happen in the future. Also remember consoles have a shared memory architecture, so 8gb gddr5/3 includes system memory and graphics memory. I think 4gb should be good for a few years.

kevm3

Have fun with what you have, don't work yourself up about these things, you never know what will happen in the future. Also remember consoles have a shared memory architecture, so 8gb gddr5/3 includes system memory and graphics memory. I think 4gb should be good for a few years.

I'll most likely end up keeping it since I got it for $350 and the ones that are in stock are selling for $400. I'll be playing at 1080p as well, so I won't have to worry about requirements for 4k. I was just concerned with games in the upcoming future being vram hogs, akin to Evil Within and Mordor.

kharma45

No chance of an 8GB any time soon, and I don't see the need for them either.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
halp!

My monitor has a mini-hdmi connector and I want to hook it with my PS3/4.

When doing that, however (hdmi from PS3 -> minihdmi to monitor) it doesn't give me a signal... no sound, no picture. What do I do :(?

Also, if my monitor doesn't have built-in speakers, what do I have to do in order to get sound from my PS3?
. Anyone?

SugarDave

PC works!
3AQmK.gif
Nothing happened when I first pressed the power button but it suddenly came on after a few seconds, almost kicked off big time. I'm a little surprised and disappointed how I'm not more excited, having been planning this for a year, but I suppose that's down to it taking me bloody ages to put it together and it's 2AM now. I'll install the OS tomorrow.

I did want to ask though, it can't be normal for the CPU to be at like 55°C just in the BIOS, right? My CPU is a i7 4790K and the boost clock had it going at 4.4Ghz so I get it might be a little hotter than some other CPUs, but I wouldn't have thought that hot. I'm using a Hyper 212 cooler with it which had two fans attached. I'm not sure if it might be down to me cocking up slightly when installing the cooler. The cross-arm screw thingymajig needed a bit of force for me to get all of the screws in (not too forceful or anything, but I did almost shit myself doing it) and perhaps the thermal paste didn't get a completely clean spread as the heat sink moved slightly a few times.

ricki42

I did want to ask though, it can't be normal for the CPU to be at like 55°C just in the BIOS, right? My CPU is a i7 4790K and the boost clock had it going at 4.4Ghz so I get it might be a little hotter than some other CPUs, but I wouldn't have thought that hot. I'm using a Hyper 212 cooler with it which had two fans attached. I'm not sure if it might be down to me cocking up slightly when installing the cooler. The cross-arm screw thingymajig needed a bit of force for me to get all of the screws in (not too forceful or anything, but I did almost shit myself doing it) and perhaps the thermal paste didn't get a completely clean spread as the heat sink moved slightly a few times.

55C sounds too much. I have a 4790k and with the same cooler I had low 30s idling. What are the voltage settings in the BIOS?
And yes, mounting that cross-arm thing was a bit finicky.

Cross-posting from the 970/980 thread, since there's not much activity there. Would love some thoughts.

Ordered two MSI 970 Gaming cards to replace my two 7970 GEs.

Amazon finally has a date and is prepping them for shipment, so I want to get some feedback while I still have time to cancel.

I'm pretty concerned about the lack of a backplate as it relates to card sag. My 7970s also don't have backplates, and there's very noticeable sag on the freestanding edge, particularly in the corner farthest from the motherboard. It seems like a backplate would help prevent that asymmetrical sagging and give the card rigidity.

But is it worth the extra $40 to bump up and get Gigabyte G1s? I'm not sure.

tl;dr are backplates that big a deal?

Ratrat

Newbie here. I've been looking around on pcpartpicker and ended with the below for the important stuff. Will a build based on that run? I'd want to play AC Unity and pcsx2 in 1080p

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I'm especially lost when it comes to picking a motherboard.

SugarDave

55C sounds too much. I have a 4790k and with the same cooler I had low 30s idling. What are the voltage settings in the BIOS?
And yes, mounting that cross-arm thing was a bit finicky.

I'll check it out again in the morning/afternoon and report back. I had it on for about 20 minutes and it was only that hot for a couple of minutes, it seemed to be around 42°C otherwise. Hopefully it's just a easy voltage change away from fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom