• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

How are you guys doing overclocking your 4790Ks? Any results yet?

Most sites aren't getting any higher clocks than the 4770k could get. This makes sense since many of the serials seem to indicate Intel has been binning 4770k procs to sell as 4790ks since last year. They just came off the line and tested stable at what Intel is billing the 4790k stock speeds as.

Most sites aren't getting any higher clocks than the 4770k could get. This makes sense since many of the serials seem to indicate Intel has been binning 4770k procs to sell as 4790ks since last year. They just came off the line and tested stable at what Intel is billing the 4790k stock speeds as.
That's sad...

SHADES

For some reason the gpu clock speed wasn't going over something like 350Mhz and the gpu was only using about 15% use. I just uninstalled MSI afterburner and rebooted then went into Nvidia control panel and the clock speeds gone up to 1175 Mhz.

Anyone with any idea's what was causing this?

EDIT* Its just dawned on me, would the seller having this gpu in sli configuration cause me to be having the issues I'm having? I've just gone in evga precision monitoring settings as the total mem used wasn't showing, the limit was set to 3072, but this is a 2gb card so thats sli right?

What else do I need to do to get this gpu's settings back to a single card set up?

Sinfamy

My Battlestation: TOKUSENTAI

MvsZvKp.jpg

YAokGmq.jpg

Specs:
Intel Core i7 3770K 4.2GHz + Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
MSI-GD65 Z77 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 1866Mhz DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SuperClocked 3GB GDDR5
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD + 8TB Storage
Corsair AX 750W Power Supply
Fractal Design Define R4 Case
Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech G602 + SteelSeries Mousepad
LG 27" 1080p IPS + ASUS 23.6" 1080p LCD + ASUS 17" LCD
Harman Kardon Soundsticks III
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1

Renekton

Some did record lower overall temperature for the same OC clock speed though, Toms recorded 6°C cooler for 4790K at 4.2Ghz. I guess the new TIM is doing work.

Kogepan

Quick question, I'm interested in getting one of the 'cheapish' 28" 4k monitors that are coming out. I know the Asus can do 4k 60hz as a single tile with display port. Can the Samsung and Philips also do this?

Also, i don't play games so i'm just using the integrated HD graphics from my i5-2400 + intel DZ68DB (with display port). Will this be able support the 4k desktop or will I have to get a discrete video card? Again, no games at all, just use it work work and some multimedia files so would prefer not to have to go the discrete route. Thanks for your assistance!

dmr87

Need some quick tips on a cheap, built in speakers and fast monitor, don't care about IQ just response time. I'm looking at the ASUS 24" VN247H (guess it's called vn247h-p in the US), seems good enough. Thinking about getting one for fighting games and just as an extra screen.

Renekton

Need some quick tips on a cheap, built in speakers and fast monitor, don't care about IQ just response time. I'm looking at the ASUS 24" VN247H (guess it's called vn247h-p in the US), seems good enough. Thinking about getting one for fighting games and just as an extra screen.
Response is definitely good, usually TN pros and cons, speakers are bleh, tiny black border.

Im having problems with my oc on my 4790k. I have a h100i and while priming it to 4.6 it sits 70-75c and like 30 minutes in itll just randomly shoot up to 100c. Did I get a bad chip or something?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Overclock that 920 and it won't be all that limiting.

I think I'm going to do a rope-a-dope on my systems.

I'm probably going go ahead and buy the 290 and move the 760 670 from my (main system) 3930K x79 over to the 920 x58 system. I'll move the DH-14 fan to the 920 that uses the cosmos case as well and use the H55 liquid set on my smaller silver stone which never seemed to use DH-14 well.

This should work out until 2015... hopefully something exciting in processers/memory/video will happen like it did in 2008 when I first got my 920. Here's to hoping for 2.5/3D transistor tech.

Edit: life sux. ;_; my x58 only supports pcie 2.0 :(

kharma45

I think I'm going to do a rope-a-dope on my systems.

I'm probably going go ahead and buy the 290 and move the 760 670 from my (main system) 3930K x79 over to the 920 x58 system. I'll move the DH-14 fan to the 920 that uses the cosmos case as well and use the H55 liquid set on my smaller silver stone which never seemed to use DH-14 well.

This should work out until 2015... hopefully something exciting in processers/memory/video will happen like it did in 2008 when I first got my 920. Here's to hoping for 2.5/3D transistor tech.

Edit: life sux. ;_; my x58 only supports pcie 2.0 :(

2.0 fine for any single GPU out there. Makes zero difference.

Cizard

Firstly, not everyone recommends it. I'd never use it myself or suggest others do.
Secondly, it's not comparable to piracy. If Microsoft wanted to stop people going against their licence agreement, they could do. But it's not worth their time to go after this group. It's most likely a net gain for them getting all these people onto their platform. Much like Adobe not giving two shits about Photoshop piracy, because it puts their product into the hands of a large number of people, who then learn to use it and probably go on to use it professionally. Free publicity.

It is the same thing as piracy though. Just because Microsoft won't and possibly can't do anything about it doesn't make it any less so. In the example you mentioned Adobe piracy and that is also still piracy. You're using software you didn't pay for with a license you don't have any rights to. Just because the license does work doesn't mean it's not piracy.

Uh, sorry to drop in on you guys like this, but this keeps happening to me.
I have looked it up and it appears to be an issue with amd drivers or something, but most of the people that had this problem had it on boot, mine occurs during normal operation.
Can anyone advise?

i5 2500k stock
P8Z77V-LK
AMD 7950 stock
Latest drivers.

Found this googling for BSODs related to atikmdag,sys, seems to have worked for this guy at least. Haven't had the issue myself.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...sed-atikmdag-sys-windows-amd-radeon-7700.html

riflen

It is the same thing as piracy though. Just because Microsoft won't and possibly can't do anything about it doesn't make it any less so.

I consider this a semantic argument over the use of the word piracy. The software has been paid for by the educational institution. This is breaking an EULA.

In the example you mentioned Adobe piracy and that is also still piracy.
No shit? I said it was piracy in my post. I was referring to people widely cracking Adobe Photoshop. No one is suggesting people crack Windows.
I was using it as an example as to why MS doesn't care about individuals breaking an EULA which is probably not even enforcible in most jurisdictions.

You're using software you didn't pay for with a license you don't have any rights to. Just because the license does work doesn't mean it's not piracy.
It is paid for. This is a fruitless discussion. You think it's wrong, others don't.

lustrate

I'm going to be running an R9 290, and I'm curious what resolution monitor you guys would recommend. I'm mostly interested in a heavily modded Skyrim; it's imperative that I'm able to max that out with all sorts of graphic mods.

Do you guys think I'd be better off with the tried and true 1080P or the relatively new 1440P?

Lumine

I asked about these parts last week and Monosukoi was a great help, thanks again! However I decided to wait the weekend before deciding to pull the trigger and I think I'm ready to just go ahead and order everything. Still I wanted to run it by you guys one last time. There's still some stuff I'm not completely sure about.

- ASUS Z97-A - Motherboard or Gigabyte Z97-D3H - €135/110
I can't decide between these. According to Techreport the Asus mobo is a more polished package and perhaps easier to install, but it also costs €25 more. I don't know if that's worth it though and between most mobo's I really can't tell what the difference is. Which should I go for?
- Intel Core i5 4690 / 3.5 Ghz - €180
I could still go for the 4690K, but I think I won't be overclocking after all. I'm a little scared I end up breaking and voiding the warranty all for the sake of squeezing a few extra fps out of a handful of games. So why not save the €30 right?
- MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GB DDR5 1137MHz - €280
I think I'll stick with this one. Unfortunately it went out of stock over the weekend, argh!
- Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4) 1600MHz DDR3 - €80
- Crucial MX100c 256 GB SSD - €95
Switched to this one instead of the Samsung based on Monosukoi's recommendation. Unfortunately it's out of stock and it's listed with a 10+ delivery time, which sucks. I don't want to spend ~€1000 on all these parts only to have them sit in a corner for more than 10 days without knowing if the SSD will even arrive by then. So maybe I'll go for the 128GB MX100. It's only €20 less though, so it'd be a crappy buy compared. :(
- Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB 64MB - €110
- Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Midtower - €55
Couldn't find another case I like better. So it being cheap is just a good thing I'll presume. Hopefully it'll all fit properly.
- SeaSonic M12II EVO 620 Bronze - €70
Had the Corsair listed before, but switched to Monosukoi's recommendation. Made sense to me, even if it's a little pricier.
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - €30
Damnit also out of stock! Though it should only be for a few days. I'm more concerned about that complex looking installation I saw in the OP though! :( Besides, that thing is huge! And it looks like the it would blow its air straight at my videocard? I suppose you can install it to blow upwards instead? I honestly have no idea. I'm not even sure I need this if I'm not OCing, but I do like the idea of keeping my PC extra cool and quiet anyway. Maybe you guys have another recommendation for this one? Maybe one that's a little easier to install? Or should I just stop being a pussy about it? :p
A few others I've been looking at are the Cooler Master Hyper 412S (also out of stock), DeepCool NepTwin and the DeepCool GammaXX 300 ( a lot cheaper, but probably worse.) I think it being quiet is more important for me than actual temperatures as I probably won't OC.
- Samsung SH-224DB DVD reader/writer - €19

Total: €1030 - 1055 :(

I also forgot to ask: Windows 8, should I go for it? I just assumed I would stick with Win7, but maybe I should upgrade to 8? What do you guys think?
Last question: do I need to buy some extra things to get started? I presume all screws get delivered with the parts and I should have plenty of screwdrivers already. How about thermal paste though? That should come with the Cooler Master 212 evo right? Honestly the install of that thing scared me enough that I'm really considering getting something else. Do I need to buy rubbing alcohol like I saw in some videoguides? It should be clean when I take it straight out of the package and handle it with care right? Zipties maybe? Or do they also come with the parts? Anything else I'm missing?

Sorry for throwing such a load of questions at you guys. This is the first time I'm building from scratch, I've only ever upgraded my GPU and HDD. So I'm both excited and scared by doing this. :p

Thank you guys in advance! Your help is very much appreciated!

It is the same thing as piracy though. Just because Microsoft won't and possibly can't do anything about it doesn't make it any less so. In the example you mentioned Adobe piracy and that is also still piracy. You're using software you didn't pay for with a license you don't have any rights to. Just because the license does work doesn't mean it's not piracy.

No. Microsoft is actively giving away free product keys in order to increase their user base within niche markets. Are the people breaking the EULA? Maybe. Are they altering the purpose of these keys? No, not really. I wouldn't be on 8.1 without one...

Nice! cause i just need one. but does the key works world wide? or only in the us?

I'm not sure.

Water

I'm going to be running an R9 290, and I'm curious what resolution monitor you guys would recommend. I'm mostly interested in a heavily modded Skyrim; it's imperative that I'm able to max that out with all sorts of graphic mods.

Do you guys think I'd be better off with the tried and true 1080P or the relatively new 1440P?
For Skyrim I understand you should stick to 60Hz or things start breaking, and GPUs of the 290's caliber eat 1080p 60Hz for breakfast. 1440p 60Hz should run okay and look a lot more impressive, but you'll probably be at least a little constrained with what mods/configurations you can use without sacrificing smoothness.

If you weren't set on a 290, I think 1440p G-Sync would be really really good for that use case. It would let you use all the performance you have, as opposed to holding back a large buffer of performance that is only needed 10% of the time to keep you above 60FPS. And it would let you swap mods like socks without the hassle of having to balance settings for an exact framerate afterwards.

If you want something like this, 1440p will be difficult:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?

Hell, even at 1080p you might not get a stable 60fps if you want everything maxed.
I'ts a terrible game anyway

ombz

@Lumine

I haven't looked it up but I believe people have mentioned that overclocking a I series processor does not void the warrenty.

lustrate

For Skyrim I understand you should stick to 60Hz or things start breaking, and GPUs of the 290's caliber eat 1080p 60Hz for breakfast. 1440p 60Hz should run okay and look a lot more impressive, but you'll probably be at least a little constrained with what mods/configurations you can use without sacrificing smoothness.

If you weren't set on a 290, I think 1440p G-Sync would be really really good for that use case. It would let you use all the performance you have, as opposed to holding back a large buffer of performance that is only needed 10% of the time to keep you above 60FPS. And it would let you swap mods like socks without the hassle of having to balance settings for an exact framerate afterwards.

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing some reading around various sites/forums and it seems for my needs I'd be better off at 1080p for now. I'll most likely add a 1440p monitor later on.

If you want something like this, 1440p will be difficult:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?

Hell, even at 1080p you might not get a stable 60fps if you want everything maxed.
I'ts a terrible game anyway

I've put tons of hours into Skyrim on a lesser PC and I'm pretty partial to it. It's more than worth it to me.

kiyomi

- ASUS Z97-A - Motherboard or Gigabyte Z97-D3H - €135/110
I can't decide between these. According to Techreport the Asus mobo is a more polished package and perhaps easier to install, but it also costs €25 more. I don't know if that's worth it though and between most mobo's I really can't tell what the difference is. Which should I go for?
- Intel Core i5 4690 / 3.5 Ghz - €180
I could still go for the 4690K, but I think I won't be overclocking after all. I'm a little scared I end up breaking and voiding the warranty all for the sake of squeezing a few extra fps out of a handful of games. So why not save the €30 right?
- MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GB DDR5 1137MHz - €280
I think I'll stick with this one. Unfortunately it went out of stock over the weekend, argh!
- Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4) 1600MHz DDR3 - €80
- Crucial MX100c 256 GB SSD - €95
Switched to this one instead of the Samsung based on Monosukoi's recommendation. Unfortunately it's out of stock and it's listed with a 10+ delivery time, which sucks. I don't want to spend ~€1000 on all these parts only to have them sit in a corner for more than 10 days without knowing if the SSD will even arrive by then. So maybe I'll go for the 128GB MX100. It's only €20 less though, so it'd be a crappy buy compared. :(
- Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB 64MB - €110
- Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Midtower - €55
Couldn't find another case I like better. So it being cheap is just a good thing I'll presume. Hopefully it'll all fit properly.
- SeaSonic M12II EVO 620 Bronze - €70
Had the Corsair listed before, but switched to Monosukoi's recommendation. Made sense to me, even if it's a little pricier.
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - €30
Damnit also out of stock! Though it should only be for a few days. I'm more concerned about that complex looking installation I saw in the OP though! :( Besides, that thing is huge! And it looks like the it would blow its air straight at my videocard? I suppose you can install it to blow upwards instead? I honestly have no idea. I'm not even sure I need this if I'm not OCing, but I do like the idea of keeping my PC extra cool and quiet anyway. Maybe you guys have another recommendation for this one? Maybe one that's a little easier to install? Or should I just stop being a pussy about it? :p
A few others I've been looking at are the Cooler Master Hyper 412S (also out of stock), DeepCool NepTwin and the DeepCool GammaXX 300 ( a lot cheaper, but probably worse.) I think it being quiet is more important for me than actual temperatures as I probably won't OC.
- Samsung SH-224DB DVD reader/writer - €19

Total: €1030 - 1055 :(

I also forgot to ask: Windows 8, should I go for it? I just assumed I would stick with Win7, but maybe I should upgrade to 8? What do you guys think?
Last question: do I need to buy some extra things to get started? I presume all screws get delivered with the parts and I should have plenty of screwdrivers already. How about thermal paste though? That should come with the Cooler Master 212 evo right? Honestly the install of that thing scared me enough that I'm really considering getting something else. Do I need to buy rubbing alcohol like I saw in some videoguides? It should be clean when I take it straight out of the package and handle it with care right? Zipties maybe? Or do they also come with the parts? Anything else I'm missing?

It's fine if you don't feel comfortable overclocking, but there are a lot of good guides out there that explain it. In short, you change a few values in the BIOS, save, exit, and attempt to boot into Windows. If it boots, you stress test it for stability, if it doesn't boot, you change the values again, and try again. It just takes some patience. You'd have to make a big big big mistake to damage anything.

If you decide you don't want to overclock, then you don't need a Z97 motherboard really, and you don't need the 212 Evo unless you just want something quieter. You can always buy one later if noise is a problem for you.

Are you sure you can't find RAM that's cheaper?

Try and get the 256GB MX100 if you can wait, it's worth it over the 128GB.

The power supply I recommended isn't the best-amazing-thing-ever, but the website you're buying from has a poor selection of PSUs to be honest. It's solid though.

As for Windows, if you feel comfortable with 7, just stick with 7, unless you just want something newer.

Yes, all screws should come with the case/motherboard. You should get zipties with the case, with the PSU, the motherboard, almost everything.. they practically gift them out. :p

kennah

@Lumine

I haven't looked it up but I believe people have mentioned that overclocking a I series processor does not void the warrenty.
It does not. Intel will even do a one time replacement on a fried processor for like $35 (if you get their insurance plan)

Lumine

@Lumine
It does not. Intel will even do a one time replacement on a fried processor for like $35 (if you get their insurance plan)
It's fine if you don't feel comfortable overclocking, but there are a lot of good guides out there that explain it. In short, you change a few values in the BIOS, save, exit, and attempt to boot into Windows. If it boots, you stress test it for stability, if it doesn't boot, you change the values again, and try again. It just takes some patience. You'd have to make a big big big mistake to damage anything.

Damnit you guys aren't making this easier. :p Perhaps I will get the 4690K then. How much of a boost are we talking about here though? I understand that in theory it'd be worth it, but I'm really wondering how often in practice I'd actually be using that extra CPU power and if it's not just running hot for no reason most of the time.

If you decide you don't want to overclock, then you don't need a Z97 motherboard really, and you don't need the 212 Evo unless you just want something quieter. You can always buy one later if noise is a problem for you.

Are you sure you can't find RAM that's cheaper?

Try and get the 256GB MX100 if you can wait, it's worth it over the 128GB.

The power supply I recommended isn't the best-amazing-thing-ever, but the website you're buying from has a poor selection of PSUs to be honest. It's solid though.

As for Windows, if you feel comfortable with 7, just stick with 7, unless you just want something newer.

Yes, all screws should come with the case/motherboard. You should get zipties with the case, with the PSU, the motherboard, almost everything.. they practically gift them out. :p
I think I'd rather just get the Z97 board either way to have it future proof. Then perhaps in a few years I'd only have to upgrade the CPU instead of also the mobo, or is that unrealistic?

I looked at some other ram, but it looks like most of it is priced pretty equally so I figured I might as well go for a brand that's tested positively.

I really do want to get the Crucial MX100 256GB, but it's currently listed as out of stock for 10+ days. :( I kinda need one to get the system running, but not sure I want to wait that long. The 512GB seems a little excessive. Perhaps I'll go for a Samsung then or just stick with the Crucial 128GB even if it's not as cost-effective..

Yeah it's too bad they don't have more choices in PSU's, but I guess it'll do.

Stick with Windows 7 huh? It was my initial plan anyway, but I hadn't thought about that Win 8.1 might be an actual improvement. I guess it's not then!

So at least it looks like the GTX770 is back in stock, yay! Too bad that doesn't go for the Crucial MX100 256GB or either of the Cooler Master coolers. Really unsure what to pick as a cooler at the moment. I'm not getting much faith from the internet in the stock Intel coolers. I definitely do want something quiet, but also one that is easy to install. How do the ones I listed before compare?

Also thanks for the replies so far guys!

Mascot

Dumb question time: with 128gb USB 3.0 thumb drives tumbling in price (£30-odd and falling), why don't people use them instead of an internal SSD?

Reliability?
Speed?

riflen

Dumb question time: with 128gb USB 3.0 thumb drives tumbling in price (£30-odd and falling), why don't people use them instead of an internal SSD?

Reliability?
Speed?

Performance. Not all flash memory is the same. Also memory sticks don't have a disk controller processor which performs many tasks and provides lots of the features of the ssd.

This is a dumb question but its been awhile since I've done this.

If I go out and pick up Windows 8.1(non OEM) and do a clean install, how will it know to install the 64 bit version?

teiresias

Some did record lower overall temperature for the same OC clock speed though, Toms recorded 6°C cooler for 4790K at 4.2Ghz. I guess the new TIM is doing work.

Well, yeah, I don't mean their the same assembled CPU - I meant Intel has been binning the dies coming off the wafers for use as 4790k CPUs. Obviously the 4790ks have the new TIM and the extra bypass caps on the power which will help a bit in the temperature department after assembly.

tarheel91

It really depends on how deep you wanna go with the mods. You could bring a 295X2 to its knees on just 1080P with indiscriminate mod installation.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hey guys, need help here.

I just had a PC built. Used an old Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500w PSU though.

When I switch the button on the back of the PSU to on, this blue LED on the front of the chasis, the power button that is, turns to blue, but the system doesn't switch on. What can be the probable issue here?

Here are the things i bought:

Gigabyte AMD Radeon 270x OC
Intel Core i3 4130 processor
MSI B85-G41 Motherboard.
Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3 ram.

boneso

Hey guys, i have just ordered all of the following parts for my latest build. I am going to want to max out games for at least the next year or 2. Really looking forward to Dragon Age:Inquisition, Alien:Isolation and The Witcher 3!

Let me know what you think:

i5 4670k
Corsair H100i
Msi z87-gd45 Gaming
16gb Corsair Vengeance
EVGA gtx 770 SC with ACX (2gb) 2xSLI
1tb WD Black HDD
EVGA supernova 1000w G2
Thermaltake Urban S31

Undecided on SSD model and size, any recommendations are welcome.

Cheers guys

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I did something weird:

So last week I ordered 2x240GB SSD to replace my 1x60GB SSD that was dying. While ordering those, one of my 2x3TB HD that I was using as an overrun and installing larger software died. So I did something without too much research...

I got 2x2TB SSHD that I plan to run mirrored just like my 2x240GB SSD. People have seen interesting success with SSHD performance but can I expect the same sort of performance savings when it comes to mirroring them? My main concern is read performance.

2.0 fine for any single GPU out there. Makes zero difference.

Thanks for the confirmation. I just ordered it. I got the cheapest one on the market... the Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB. I'm not sure why it's significantly cheaper than everything else in the market but I'm sure its something regrettable :( Regardless, the hope is that this will drive my 3440x1440 monitor (...whenever it gets here) on my Bethesda player.

The Llama

Hey guys, i have just ordered all of the following parts for my latest build. I am going to want to max out games for at least the next year or 2. Really looking forward to Dragon Age:Inquisition, Alien:Isolation and The Witcher 3!

Let me know what you think:

i5 4670k
Corsair H100i
Msi z87-gd45 Gaming
16gb Corsair Vengeance
EVGA gtx 770 SC with ACX (2gb) 2xSLI
1tb WD Black HDD
EVGA supernova 1000w G2
Thermaltake Urban S31

Undecided on SSD model and size, any recommendations are welcome.

Cheers guys

You don't need that big of a PSU. You'll be fine with a 600w, or 700w if you still want overkill. Get a Z97 mobo with the extra money. Get a Crucial MX100 SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom