• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHADES

I run my 4.2ghz 2600k and 670 on a 450w psu. You'll be fine.

Wow, FairPlay. Guess its my own fault for googling then reading all the comments on tomshardware "it'll go bang with anything less than recommended"

Note to self* stay the eff away from GPUboss, Tom's, any others while I'm at it?

Yousefb

Hey guys
I'm looking to get a small form factor pc for the living room pretty much just for gaming. I'm really illiterate when it comes to pc gaming so reading the OP section regarding SFFs left me sort of confused to be honest. Is there a site I can go to purchase the most optimal option? Or do I need to pick and build the individual parts? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Pricing is not really an issue I know PC'S can get high so I have been saving up for this. I guess ideally it would be sub-2000$. But yeah looking into getting into some high end pc gaming and would love to know your thoughts. Cheers

kharma45

I can run an OC'd 2500K and a 7850 off 430w
(although to be truthful that unit can actually provide 512w at full draw, quite overspecced)

Wow, FairPlay. Guess its my own fault for googling then reading all the comments on tomshardware "it'll go bang with anything less than recommended"

Note to self* stay the eff away from GPUboss, Tom's, any others while I'm at it?

r/buildapac too for the most part.

kennah

Hey guys
I'm looking to get a small form factor pc for the living room pretty much just for gaming. I'm really illiterate when it comes to pc gaming so reading the OP section regarding SFFs left me sort of confused to be honest. Is there a site I can go to purchase the most optimal option? Or do I need to pick and build the individual parts? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Pricing is not really an issue I know PC'S can get high so I have been saving up for this. I guess ideally it would be sub-2000$. But yeah looking into getting into some high end pc gaming and would love to know your thoughts. Cheers
This thread is more about building yourself. Fill out the survey in the op. Some of us will build for gaffers, but is really is quite easy to do

riflen

OP has recommended sites.

Yeah, here's a post of my case and Windows 8.1. All that's left is my processor.
10502127_10152551552401967_1692483534661865020_n.jpg

Hellix

That is odd. Here's the Unigine test on my system which is weaker than your hardware. Though my CPU is overclocked quite a bit (which isn't made clear on the results screen). Dunno if that would make a difference.

Yeah, I am not sure what is holding it back, or the card is possibly defective? Everything is stock at the moment, but I'd imagine my score should still be higher.

Which Anti Aliasing setting are you using.

x8

SHADES

ok guys, I've installed the GTX 670 ftw, checked for latest drivers and seems well but the Geforce GTX logo isn't illuminated on the card yet it was when i the seller ran benchmarks prior to sale. What am i doing wrong, or do I need to install a controller or enable it in which settings please??

NJDEN

All right, I'm probably what you'd consider a Nvidia fan boy, but only due to Nvidia being my first card and I've stuck with them ever since...

In the world of computers their are no brands, but only components and I'd like to learn a little bit about AMD cards, but I don't know anything about how they are organized or where to begin. I know Nvidia releases in series IE: 600, 700, 800 series and this method keeps it fairly organized.

How does AMD organize its line up, is their anything I should know about AMD cards?

LilJoka

All right, I'm probably what you'd consider a Nvidia fan boy, but only due to Nvidia being my first card and I've stuck with them ever since...

In the world of computers their are no brands, but only components and I'd like to learn a little bit about AMD cards, but I don't know anything about how they are organized or where to begin. I know Nvidia releases in series IE: 600, 700, 800 series and this method keeps it fairly organized.

How does AMD organize its line up, is their anything I should know about AMD cards?

Codename Volcanic Islands
Cards
Entry-level Radeon R5 210
Radeon R5 220
Radeon R5 230
Radeon R5 235
Radeon R5 235X

Mid-range Radeon R7 240
Radeon R7 250
Radeon R7 250X
Radeon R7 260
Radeon R7 260X
Radeon R7 265

High-end Radeon R9 270
Radeon R9 270X
Radeon R9 280
Radeon R9 280X

Enthusiast Radeon R9 290
Radeon R9 290X
Radeon R9 295X2

Pretty self explanatory, 295X2 is a dual GPU card. Some of the mid range cards are actually rebrands of the previous series which was in the format AMD 7xxx.

If yo are specifically using the AMD GPU for gaming in a single GPU configuration, there is no glaring aspects that can sway your decision. Generally nVidia seem to get new game support earlier compared to AMD. Also AMD doesnt have PhysX. Currently in the mid-high end range, AMD are doing well with the AMD R9 280/X with 3GB VRAM compared to the GTX 770 2GB in the same price range. If you go with one of the top end AMD cards get one with an aftermarket cooler, as the cards run very hot and noisy with reference design coolers. AMD GPUs tend to draw more power for similar performance to nVIdia, but nothing gigantic, explains why nVidia cards run a little cooler generally though.

G.Newell

Hey been building my new comp and I've run In to an issue. Everything is installed but the new ram though I'm using my old 2x2gb one. When I try Booting up it goes to a black screen. I've managed to get the gigabyte logo to flash up but it then flashes off and on and stays on a black screen regardless of what buttons I press. Ive tried a different gpu but I get the same problem. What could be the problem here?

LilJoka

Hey been building my new comp and I've run In to an issue. Everything is installed but the new ram though I'm using my old 2x2gb one. When I try Booting up it goes to a black screen. I've managed to get the gigabyte logo to flash up but it then flashes off and on and stays on a black screen regardless of what buttons I press. Ive tried a different gpu but I get the same problem. What could be the problem here?

Make sure you are connecting the Monitor cable to the GPU and not the onboard connector on the motherboard.
What happens if you spam F2 or Delete after turning the PC on?

G.Newell

Make sure you are connecting the Monitor cable to the GPU and not the onboard connector on the motherboard.
What happens if you spam F2 or Delete after turning the PC on?

It's actually connected to my TV from my gpu via hdmi as I don't have the correct adapter for the new gpu, i need a dvi d and I have a dvi I adapter. I've tried spamming f2 and delete and neither help, it just goes to the logo then blue screen of the TV then back to black screen.

LilJoka

It's actually connected to my TV from my gpu via hdmi as I don't have the correct adapter for the new gpu, i need a dvi d and I have a dvi I adapter. I've tried spamming f2 and delete and neither help, it just goes to the logo then blue screen of the TV then back to black screen.

What are the specs?
Did you plug power cables into all the GPU power sockets?
It is possible that the TV doesnt support the resolution, maybe try a monitor.

Aurarian

Hey guys, just wanted to post again my build to see if there's anything I'm missing or to make it cheaper. Already have a PSU from my previous PC, although I have a question concerning getting another one so that my mother may use the desktop. What is enough wattage for browsing/microsoft office use? Another question I have is what is a good headset for streaming use and is there one that you can use on your PS4 as well?

Here's the build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Rosewill RIKB-11002 Wired Slim Keyboard ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Cooler Master Recon Wired Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1082.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

kharma45

Hey guys, just wanted to post again my build to see if there's anything I'm missing or to make it cheaper. Already have a PSU from my previous PC, although I have a question concerning getting another one so that my mother may use the desktop. What is enough wattage for browsing/microsoft office use? Another question I have is what is a good headset for streaming use and is there one that you can use on your PS4 as well?

Here's the build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Rosewill RIKB-11002 Wired Slim Keyboard ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Cooler Master Recon Wired Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1082.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

For your mother's build, 430w would suffice.

If you don't mind the red colour you can swap to 1866MHz RAM for the same price as that white stuff.

If you're interested there is also a fella selling an R9 290 in the BST thread for $300. It's the ASUS DCU II one, and the warranty is transferable.

G.Newell

What are the specs?
Did you plug power cables into all the GPU power sockets?
It is possible that the TV doesnt support the resolution, maybe try a monitor.

I have connected all the power sockets to the gpu and the TV does work as ive used it before with my old computer. The problem is I can't even get to the bits screen.

I have a 4790k, a gigabyte ga-z97x-ud3h, a r9 290, a gold standard corsair psu. The ram is old 2x2gb mushkin ram as my new ram has been delayed twice by Amazon.

Schryver

Need to get my Windows 8 key on Reddit - I might as well get Pro right? And just get an N version since I can always download Windows Media Player if I want it?

Also, there's a couple R9 290 BF4 editions with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme Coolers installed on Craiglist near me. Seller is asking $350 for each. Seems like a decent deal but obviously there would be no warranty so not sure about that

Would anyone be willing to assist with a RAID 1 question?

I want to remove RAID 1 from my PC, leaving one of the drives with the OS/data intact. Then replace the second RAID drive with a larger HDD. Both then used for non RAID.

If I ctrl+I and reset one of the drives, I know that will wipe said hdd. But will that break RAID and leave the other drive intact? If so do I need to make any other changes before I install the new hdd?

Where's the best place to get a genuine copy of Windows? I saw some people in here saying reddit/softwareswap but has anyone actually done that, and found it to be legit/safe/legal etc?

tarheel91

This is only tangentially related to this thread, but does anyone know when the current AMD game reward codes expire. I know they have a system where you can wait and get games that come out later, but there IS an expiration date. The AMD website lists December 2013, so obviously that's no longer applicable.

kennah

Would anyone be willing to assist with a RAID 1 question?

I want to remove RAID 1 from my PC, leaving one of the drives with the OS/data intact. Then replace the second RAID drive with a larger HDD. Both then used for non RAID.

If I ctrl+I and reset one of the drives, I know that will wipe said hdd. But will that break RAID and leave the other drive intact? If so do I need to make any other changes before I install the new hdd?
Depending on your controller. The existing drive will just show up as a broken mirror. It will still work but it might constantly harass you to remirror it.

Where's the best place to get a genuine copy of Windows? I saw some people in here saying reddit/softwareswap but has anyone actually done that, and found it to be legit/safe/legal etc?
I used it. I downloaded genuine 8.1 Pro from the Windows website, it accepted the product key I'd purchased. I've been using it for several months now with no problems. I even made a fresh install on my new SSD yesterday.

fuzaco

I don't get this softwareswap thing. It's really no better than piracy and yet everyone recommends it here like it was totally legal. You're still not paying the company who made the software, so why even bother? You're probably just helping some college kid with inifinite "copies" to get wasted with that money.

Random question but I figure this is the best place to ask. I was wondering if you guys could recommend side tables to put on either side of my desk. My desktop doesn't fit under my proper desk and I could use some more real estate for my speakers and such.

Pic for reference:

RxAT53kl.jpg

eek5

I don't get this softwareswap thing. It's really no better than piracy and yet everyone recommends it here like it was totally legal. You're still not paying the company who made the software, so why even bother? You're probably just helping some college kid with inifinite "copies" to get wasted with that money.

How are these dudes getting unlimited keys? I don't get it.

edit: nm I guess it's a mix of Microsoft not-for-resale programs (Bizspark, Dreamspark, MSDN, or an academic agreement Microsoft has with a college tech program).

riflen

Firstly, not everyone recommends it. I'd never use it myself or suggest others do.
Secondly, it's not comparable to piracy. If Microsoft wanted to stop people going against their licence agreement, they could do. But it's not worth their time to go after this group. It's most likely a net gain for them getting all these people onto their platform. Much like Adobe not giving two shits about Photoshop piracy, because it puts their product into the hands of a large number of people, who then learn to use it and probably go on to use it professionally. Free publicity.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If it won't reach, yeah.

I had to use one for my PC. Mine would reach but it was fully taut over all my shit so I got an extender to route it around the back.

That's what I want to do. From all the vidoes I've seen, the short CPU power will get in the way of my gpu when I get one and possibly too close to the stock CPU fan

In my case there is no hole near the CPU power socket on the case

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'd say r9 290 4GB, it has the right quantity of ram, it's a bit faster than the gtx 780 6gb and a lot cheaper.

I'm contemplating a 290 but I was wondering if a i7 920 on an x58 motherboard will be tremendously limiting.

SHADES

Guys, what am I doing wrong? On my GTX 750 ti in DayZ SA out in the wild I hit 60 fps with High settings. I've installed this GTX670 after reinstalling geforce experience and downloading the latest drivers etc and I'm lucky to get 15 fps in the same spawn point(out in the wild) at the same settings my 750 ti was running at, which totally shouldnt be the case surely?
After installing it I ran a benchmark on heaven 4.0 with the following results

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3399MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 9.18.13.697 (2048MB) x1