• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoSLR

Neo Member
Best cooler for a stock R9 290X that only occupies 2 slots? I saw the gelid icy-vision 2, but the little 290X kit for it is hard to find. Any other options besides the massive Accelero Xtreme IV?

Renekton

Would a 290X non reference run most games on ultra at 1440p settings?
According to benchmarks, you'll be expecting around 40-60fps with < 2014 games, excluding other component bottlenecks or general "unoptimized PC port" issues.

Bear in mind we're still in cross-gen year, no idea what happens when games stop catering to PS360.

fierro

Banned
Just got my Asus PB287q 4k 60hz monitor with my 2 r9 290 video cards and honestly, 4k gaming is ultra is the most amazing thing like ever. 1080p just plain sucks and 1440p isn't even worth the jump.

Hawk269

Just got my Asus PB287q 4k 60hz monitor with my 2 r9 290 video cards and honestly, 4k gaming is ultra is the most amazing thing like ever. 1080p just plain sucks and 1440p isn't even worth the jump.

Congrats! What games are using to test your 4k/60fps? If you don't mind posting your games and what frame rate you are getting at that resolution it would be great. I myself am running 4k at 60fps on my rig and I love it!

kennah

alright haha

i just have two more questions for anyone who wants to answer

is there a huge difference in i5 cpus and i7 cpus in terms of gaming?
also, are NVIDIA gpus better than AMD gpus or are they basically equivalent?
I5 to i7 not really right now. Who knows about the future but when te future happens better stuff will be out anyway.

Amd vs nvidia is mostly personal preference. Amd is better performance per dollar nvidia has more 'special features'

I5 to i7 not really right now. Who knows about the future but when te future happens better stuff will be out anyway.

Amd vs nvidia is mostly personal preference. Amd is better performance per dollar nvidia has more 'special features'

alright, thanks for the help man. I'm gonna look into building that "great" build in the OP

Genio88

SuperÑ;119593118 said:
Is there any difference between playing on a 2500k@4.5ghz or a more recent CPU@ same speed?

At that clock it should be almost on par with a stock 4670k, but at the same speed it would be beaten of course.

Diablos

What is your current case and fan configuration? What motherboard, what CPU? what CPU cooler? Make a drawing in MS Paint to help me.
A lot of the time its not the number of fans, or the strength of fans, its just having the right fans in the right place even if they are a mere 600rpm.
Ive gone through a lot of cases and fans and yet to have flow issues. Unless you have poor cable management and a really badly designed case, its likly not the issue, considering your case and fans also havent changed since you installed the GPU.
NSK-4000:
jHwMgPn.jpg

CPU is a FX 6300 (95W), 970A-G46 mobo. Hyper TX3 cooler.
Little has changed, if anything the new CPU cooler (I was using stock before) is drawing more air upward from the bottom of the case.

gV8gE1l.gif

Yeah it sucks, the case sucks though. Note that there is a ventilation hole in the side of the case right next to the GPU, sadly it isn't made to screw a fan into however.

Nothing else as far as cable management goes has changed. I did reverse the exhaust fan to an intake to cool the VRM's since the new CPU heatsink sits too high up to cool them (thanks for your shitty VRM design, MSI)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I hope a law is passed to have all fan mounts designed like the ones on Socket LGA 2011. I finally got my H55 in my case and my R290 in its place. I have no idea win my LG 21:9 monitor will ship so I can really see what this puppy is capable of.

Sometime this weekend, I have to work up the spirit to tear down my socket 1366 x58 mobo so I can get the NHD-14 cooler mounted (stupid x-clamps D:) and my old GTX 670 finally seated in it. I'd also need to do a full install to get the new SSDs and SSHD pairs situated. I hope it leads to a nice third life for my first-gen i7 920.

tarheel91

I hope a law is passed to have all fan mounts designed like the ones on Socket LGA 2011. I finally got my H55 in my case and my R290 in its place. I have no idea win my LG 21:9 monitor will ship so I can really see what this puppy is capable of.

Sometime this weekend, I have to work up the spirit to tear down my socket 1366 x58 mobo so I can get the NHD-14 cooler mounted (stupid x-clamps D:) and my old GTX 670 finally seated in it. I'd also need to do a full install to get the new SSDs and SSHD pairs situated. I hope it leads to a nice third life for my first-gen i7 920.

Gimme an update when you get the monitor. Curious to see how it handles pushing all those pixels.

fierro

Banned

I do miss the 120hz from my BenQ monitor but once you enter the world of 4k, it isn't that big of a loss.

I will run some extensive benchmarks this weekend.

Games I will run it are Tomb Raider with tressfx, Crysis 3, Witcher 2, Dota 2 (just cuz), DmC, Hitman Abosolution and Metro Last Light.

So I want to know which processor+mobo will be the best option for me:

Either Newegg's combo of i7-4790k+GIGA GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 for $399.68, no tax.

or

Reserve the same i7 + GIGA GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 (which now costs $159.99) at Microcenter - $40 for the combo purchase. Kinda making it $399.99+tax.

Adding a solo R9 290 card, in case you're wondering. I definitely want to pull the trigger on any one of these before the 4th of July sale is over.

Mascot

Silly question time again:
Will a 50hz TV used as a monitor only ever display a maximum of 50fps?
What happens to the display if you are playing a game at 60fps?

Addnan

Your TV will support 60Hz. The 50 they write on the box is from a time gone by in the UK and probably rest of Europe too.

Sickbean

Anyone have any experience/comments on M.2 interface SSDs? Seems like they'd be ideal for ITX builds, to save on space and cabling. The Asus Z97 ITX board has a dedicated M.2 port.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^ Check if it is SATA 3 (6Gb) so you won't end up with half speed. I know my old As rock has a SATA 2 (3Gb) port.
Your TV will support 60Hz. The 50 they write on the box is from a time gone by in the UK and probably rest of Europe too.
This. A true 50hz TV wouldn't work with many console games.

LilJoka

Anyone have any experience/comments on M.2 interface SSDs? Seems like they'd be ideal for ITX builds, to save on space and cabling. The Asus Z97 ITX board has a dedicated M.2 port.

Yes it's a good idea, but you have to work out if that is worth the extra cost over something like the mx100.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What they said. And I bet likewise most US HDTVs support 50Hz because the chips are probably global. Which is why I think some game developers should offer a 1080p/50 option on PS4/Xb1 games, as it would be easier to reach than 1080p/60 and still look better than 30fps

danielcw

I want to buy a new HDD, and I wonder, if I shall buy
one 2TB drive or
two 1TB drives and put them in a raid

Is there a noteable increase in (read) performance?

importent personal data is backed up in the cloud and on another HDD regularely,
so I do not fear data loss that much.

kami_sama

Afyer the hype from the release of Devil's Canyon, are they really worth it? It's 20 euros more and I could spend them on other things.

Another question, should I go with a blue WD? I'd like more capacity, and as I'll be using a SSD for anything that needs speed, I don't know if I should buy a 2/3 TB green.

SHADES

Afyer the hype from the release of Devil's Canyon, are they really worth it? It's 20 euros more and I could spend them on other things.

Another question, should I go with a blue WD? I'd like more capacity, and as I'll be using a SSD for anything that needs speed, I don't know if I should buy a 2/3 TB green.

So far I'm quite underwhelmed from the responses on here as I've seen quite a few posters having issues with heat when overclocking. I'd like to see some positive DC overclocking stories, but guess that's mainly because most people only post when having issues.

Anyone on here with happy with their DC overclocking results? It's nice to hear the success stories also :)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't have sound though my HDMI but I do have it going toh my TV.

I have my TV source as DVI with an audio cord going to my TV/s DVI audio in port.

It may not be what I wanted but it works,

------

Also I noticed while my computer is off I can charge things by USB, is there a way to turn this off?

DjRalford

Mine is running stock with a scythe shuriken low profile cooler, with a tweaked voltage of 1.135v giving a stable 4.4ghz, one core seems to run about 8c cooler than the other 3, max temp seen on the hotter cores whilst doing the max heat burn in on prime was 89c.

Seeing as it is wedged into an A30 case with a HD7970 and lives in the TV cabinet I can live with that, although given the low voltage needed for 4.4ghz I reckon if I installed it in my armor full tower with a tower cooler I could probably hit close to 5Ghz.

Regarding your storage question, if anything speedy is on a SSD, and you just want backup I'd go with a cheaper drive.

EDIT. USB charging setting should be in your bios.

twdnewh_k

What kind of specs should I be looking at for a mini PC which I will be using for steam home streaming.

I have an an atom-based machine connected via Ethernet which does a decent job at 720 60fps.

I am looking at some of the gigabyte Brix/pro and Zotac zbox models but unsure what kind of specs I should go for a 1080p 60fps experience.

I am considering the i5 4200 or i5 4570R/T models, or thinking an i3 might be more than enough.

Would appreciate input from anyone with some experience

Lumine

Guys! I'm trying to install the new mobo (asus z97-a) in the new case (corsair 300r) but it's not working! :(
Somehow it seems the inside pins of the backplate blocks the mobo. What do I do? Bend the all the way inside and see if that works? I'm scared of breaking shit if I force it. :(

edit: nevermind, I ended up forcing it a bit anyway and that seemed to have worked :p

Lime

Ugh my newly acquired Gigabyte Windforce 290 is suffering from the black screen issue.

Anyone know any fixes for it or should I just make an RMA?

Martian

Hey! So I have been thinking about getting a new PC (for around 700 euros), and this is what I got so far (I still need a monitor and OS, but that is another question):

- Intel Core i5 4570
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5
- MSI GeForce GTX 660 Gaming
- 1 TB harddrive
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
- 8 GB RAM; Crucial Ballistix Tactical
- Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W
- Crucial MX100 256GB

plus case and optical drive ofcourse. In total gives 700 euros on tweakers.net (dutch site like pcpartpicker)

What do you guys think? I would use it for medium-gaming (rome 2 total war and Chivalry medieval warfare) and mainly as a side-station for my laptop.

Any improvements/tips?

PS. I dont know if the motherboard and wattage are good or should be replaced. I mainly copied other lists and shifted around

kennah

Your motherboard is a bit of a waste without a K series processor. And you should get a better video card than that 660

rafbanaan

Someone has an idea for a cheap pc? It would mostly be for family sharing/home streaming. Small factor/quiet would be awesome.

I was looking at some things, but I was looking in the dark since I have no idea how strong it has to be.

Mrbob

So I want to know which processor+mobo will be the best option for me:

Either Newegg's combo of i7-4790k+GIGA GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 for $399.68, no tax.

or

Reserve the same i7 + GIGA GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 (which now costs $159.99) at Microcenter - $40 for the combo purchase. Kinda making it $399.99+tax.

Adding a solo R9 290 card, in case you're wondering. I definitely want to pull the trigger on any one of these before the 4th of July sale is over.

I've put together a couple builds in the past couple week between the Gigabyte Z97 Sniper and the other with the Gigabayte Z97 Gaming 7. Both motherboards are near identical as far as I can tell and both booted right away just fine. The build construction seems solid. Plenty of options in the UEFI bios. My build is the gaming 7 with a single R290 card running well. I've purchased ASrock and Asus mobos in the past and the gigabyte ones seem on par, no better or no worse.

Stubo

Someone has an idea for a cheap pc? It would mostly be for family sharing/home streaming. Small factor/quiet would be awesome.

I was looking at some things, but I was looking in the dark since I have no idea how strong it has to be.
Budget? Building yourself or prebuilt?

Martian

Your motherboard is a bit of a waste without a K series processor. And you should get a better video card than that 660

So what do you suggest? Like I said, I have no idea of which motherboards I need or what the exact specifications to look for.
I might expand to 16 gb RAM some day, so maybe that makes a difference?
Thanks for the quick reply btw!

Hey guys, hoping to get some advice on this build. Its been roughly 4-5 years since my last build, so any advice would be great. If you see a part that I should swap out, a way to save some money, or anything please let me know.

Budget: ~ $1200 USA
Main Use: 5 Gaming/Streaming/1080 Playback
Monitor Resolution: Hopefully 1080. I need to buy a new one for this build, any suggestions?

Looking to run WoW / Guild Wars 2 / Wildstar at 60+ FPS at high or so. PhysX and other stuff isn't important to me.

When will you build?: Hopefully within the next month or August sometime.
Will you be overclocking?: Not opposed to it, just never have done it.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
SSD
HDD
GPU
Case
PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom