• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

Just replaced my desk and need to get a new mATX case and had decided the Fractal Design Core 1500 was the one.

Thing is I can't find one anywhere and it isn't listed on pcpartpicker even though it seems to have launched in May....

I'm open to other suggestions so long as the size/quality is as close as possible to the Fractal.

LilJoka

10-4. Can I do a memory test using the windows cd? Cause I don't have access to anything. It's my only PC.

Ideally memtes86+ USB would be the test to run for damaged RAM, but youll need a PC to make the bootable USB. Not sure if Windows Disk has a memory test.

Try just using 1 stick of RAM to boot into Windows if possible.

Just replaced my desk and need to get a new mATX case and had decided the Fractal Design Core 1500 was the one.

Thing is I can't find one anywhere and it isn't listed on pcpartpicker even though it seems to have launched in May....

I'm open to other suggestions so long as the size/quality is as close as possible to the Fractal.

Try the Silverstone TJ08-E as an alternative.

Stubo

Would a higher clocked CPU allow for a bigger fps gain in MMO's with lots of players on screen ?
Higher clocked within the same microarchitecture, yes.
Higher clocked old processor vs newer processor, not necessarily.
Higher clocked AMD processor vs Intel processor, not necessarily.

Thorgal

Higher clocked within the same microarchitecture, yes.
Higher clocked old processor vs newer processor, not necessarily.
Higher clocked AMD processor vs Intel processor, not necessarily.

So going from a 3770 to Hasswell e (whenever that comes out ) would in theory not necessarily give a boost ?

Hey guys, been working on getting making a new rig now that my present PC is starting to go FUBAR (And that it's so old it's practically useless now) and just wanted to check with you guys if there's any issues I might not have noticed, or any criticisms of how it will be able to perform running games like CSGO or MGSO'd Morrowind. Not looking to make a high-end rig for hardcore PC gaming, just want something nice and modern that won't have issues in the few PC games I still do play.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.09 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $444.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

And yeah, I know the mobo doesn't have front USB headers. Will look into adding a PCI USB card down the line if it becomes a problem. Also, any issues that would arise gutting the HDD and DVD drive from a prebuilt I have lying around?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I've always had AMD cpus, and am now ready to switch over to Intel for the first time, is there an obvious pick for someone struggling with a FX 4170 on an otherwise great 1080p setup, and that isn't to pricey compared to AMD prices? My problem is I'm used to AMD pricing so I have no clue what to expect except that it should run a bit more.

kharma45

If I've always had AMD cpus, and am now ready to switch over to Intel for the first time, is there an obvious pick for someone struggling with a FX 4170 on an otherwise great 1080p setup, and that isn't to pricey compared to AMD prices? My problem is I'm used to AMD pricing so I have no clue what to expect except that it should run a bit more.

Depends on your budget, and what games you play. You could grab a Pentium G3258 and clock the nuts off it.

So finally I believe everything has arrived yesterday so I can start building today:

BsXIlg-CUAA8Ag_.jpg

Cost me around $1170. Super nervous as this is my first build. I must've watched 7 videos on how to apply thermal paste just last night. I even have a grain of uncooked rice for studying purposes. Yep, that's how nervous I am.

Any advice? Also is there video out there on how to build using a R4 case that doesn't have a time lapse? Would like to go as slow as possible. Wish me luck! =[

Stubo

So going from a 3770 to Hasswell e (whenever that comes out ) would in theory not necessarily give a boost ?
Maybe I've worded my explanation in a confusing way. Newer versions of chips from the same manufacturer are generally speaking faster than the chips they replace given the same clock speed.

Overclocking will always improve the situation, but for example a 4ghz 4690k will be faster than a 4.2ghz 2500k. The extent to which this is true varies between applications and it's definitely not an exact science.

Haswell E will be king of the hill when it releases, you don't need to worry about that!

Doomedfool

Hoping someone here can help with with a suggestion for a cheap graphics card. My son's card died and money is real tight atm. He has an old geforce 8800 gts. He was not having any problems running the kinds of games he plays (I think Minecraft might have been the most taxing thing he plays...lol)

I am hoping to get something that is roughly equivalent to what he had for as cheap as we can get by with for now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

kharma45

Hoping someone here can help with with a suggestion for a cheap graphics card. My son's card died and money is real tight atm. He has an old geforce 8800 gts. He was not having any problems running the kinds of games he plays (I think Minecraft might have been the most taxing thing he plays...lol)

I am hoping to get something that is roughly equivalent to what he had for as cheap as we can get by with for now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Define cheap.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Depends on your budget, and what games you play. You could grab a Pentium G3258 and clock the nuts off it.
I'm gonna have to buy an Intel mobo with it, and I'm noticing the i5 CPUs look like the only reasonable price for me with that added. I'm just wondering if there's a go-to i5 that people reccomend a lot, and also wondering if places do deals for buying both pieces at once...

kharma45

I'm gonna have to buy an Intel mobo with it, and I'm noticing the i5 CPUs look like the only reasonable price for me with that added. I'm just wondering if there's a go-to i5 that people reccomend a lot, and also wondering if places do deals for buying both pieces at once...

Some places do yes. Microcenter has great deals if you live near one in the US.

4670K/4690K are the go to for the i5.

Bii

So finally I believe everything has arrived yesterday so I can start building today:

Cost me around $1170. Super nervous as this is my first build. I must've watched 7 videos on how to apply thermal paste just last night. I even have a grain of uncooked rice for studying purposes. Yep, that's how nervous I am.

Any advice? Also is there video out there on how to build using a R4 case that doesn't have a time lapse? Would like to go as slow as possible. Wish me luck! =[

I used Linus' video to build my R4 a few months back: http://youtu.be/qMRvz_IYSgM

Dunbar

I just built my new PC with an R4 case myself last weekend, so post if you have any questions and I can try to help.

(There was some stuff I never figured out myself though, like where to plug in all the fan stuff.)

Ok so I ordered the Antec 450W power supply listed in the build sheet to go along with a R9 270X and an i5 4960K. Is this enough?
I know the listing on the gpu says it recommends 500W.

Filth

Sticks could still be bad while working. Run memtest.

I reinstalled windows on my solid state drive with 1 stick of memory in and 4 reboots later it's working flawlessly. So I guess my memory is going bad. Which is the only thing I kept from my old PC. You guys are a lifesaver thank you.

Amneisac

For Prime95 the best way to test your overclock is by running it like so
Click Blend, Click Custom, Enter a good amount of RAM to test, for 16GB, i usually test 12000MB. Then Run that. It will use then stress all components of the board and CPU to their maximum.

Also try not to have so many monitoring software open. They can interefere with one another giving bogus readings. I use CPUz for the Vcore and Realtemp for the CPU temps. I dont use HWMonitor because it polls a bazillion sensors every second that arent needed while running tests.

The small data set in OCCT is running Intel LinPack i believe, which usually does result in the hottest temperatures, but doesnt necessarily stress all components.

I followed your advice and I've been running prime95 for a little over and hour so far at 4.3ghz and 1.1v. Max temp was 79c and that was very brief, most of the time it's been in the 50s and 60s.

I think I'll probably keep it here for now and see how it does. I could maybe get a little more out of it, but I'm pretty conservative with this stuff. I'd just like a nice, stable performance boost without risking any hardware. I think this is a pretty nice balance for now.

kharma45

Well I followed the build chart in the OP so I thought nothing of it but then I got a little worried after reading specs. Thanks for the clarification though.

No worries.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that next. What's the best way to stablity test it?

I like a few loops of the latest Heaven benchmark. You should get 1050MHz fairly easily. Try and get up to 1.2GHz on the core if you can, and don't go too much over 1.2v. 1.25v is the very, very max iirc.

Diablos

Hey, what is a good budget board for a potential i5 rig? $60-80. Not looking to OC... doubt I would ever need to if I get a decent GPU.

Hey guys! I just got a great job so I figured it's finally time for me to join the ranks of the PC Gamers. This will be the first PC I've ever built, so go easy on me haha.

Here's a build I've come up with so far based on the "Great" build in the OP with a few upgrades.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $985.82

Your Current Specs: Right now I'm using a Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram/ Nvidia GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB
Budget: $800-$1000, USA
Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Video Editing - 4
Emulation - 2
General Usage -3
Monitor Resolution: I have a couple 1080p TVs that I'll use as the monitor initially, and eventually get two monitors together.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to be able to run Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 in 60 FPS/1080p at close to maximum settings. That is my goal.
Looking to reuse any parts?: None.
When will you build?: Sometime in the next 2-3 months.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe not initially, but I plan on it.

Couple other questions: Do I need to buy something extra to connect to wifi? Also, I have an install of Windows 7 on my Mac via Bootcamp. Is it possible to uninstall that from my Mac and use that on my PC instead of buying a new copy of windows?

Digbert

Neo Member

Looks awesome just take your time though and take it easy. Also check out this vid might help you.

kiyomi

I like a few loops of the latest Heaven benchmark. You should get 1050MHz fairly easily. Try and get up to 1.2GHz on the core if you can, and don't go too much over 1.2v. 1.25v is the very, very max iirc.

Thanks for the info.

OOC, what's the consensus on uninstallers? Any worth my time?

Stubo

Hey guys! I just got a great job so I figured it's finally time for me to join the ranks of the PC Gamers. This will be the first PC I've ever built, so go easy on me haha.

Here's a build I've come up with so far based on the "Great" build in the OP with a few upgrades.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $985.82

Your Current Specs: Right now I'm using a Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB Ram/ Nvidia GeForce GT 330 M 512 MB
Budget: $800-$1000, USA
Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Video Editing - 4
Emulation - 2
General Usage -3
Monitor Resolution: I have a couple 1080p TVs that I'll use as the monitor initially, and eventually get two monitors together.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to be able to run Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 in 60 FPS/1080p at close to maximum settings. That is my goal.
Looking to reuse any parts?: None.
When will you build?: Sometime in the next 2-3 months.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe not initially, but I plan on it.

Couple other questions: Do I need to buy something extra to connect to wifi? Also, I have an install of Windows 7 on my Mac via Bootcamp. Is it possible to uninstall that from my Mac and use that on my PC instead of buying a new copy of windows?
I've made a few changes for you to take a look at:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1024.90

Going with the retailers selected you also qualify for $55 in rebates I think?

As for wifi, the motherboard will only support ethernet out of the box so you'd need a pci or usb wireless adapter or (I'd prefer) some powerline adapters.

You could get a bunch of additional graphical grunt by going down to a 4690k and picking up a nicer GPU.

Edit: For example

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1019.90

($35 in rebates)

I'd like to replace my old Antec 900 case. It was cramped, managing cables was difficult, and it was just a pain to work in.

Should I get another mid tower? Or a full tower? I haven't followed cases in a while. I don't mind spending a decent bit of money, I just want something that will be really convenient to work with and not get all jammed up with cables and crap.

I'm not sure if I should write off mid towers because of my experience with the 900, or write off Antecs. What size would you go for?

If it matters I'm in Canada and would probably buy locally from Canada Computers.

You could get a bunch of additional graphical grunt by going down to a 4690k and picking up a nicer GPU.

Edit: For example

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1019.90

($35 in rebates)

For video editing, how much do I lose out on by going with an i5 over an i7?

Stubo

For video editing, how much do I lose out on by going with an i5 over an i7?
Yeah I'd swing further towards the 4790k for your specific uses. It helps that the price on the 280 at the moment makes it amazing value for money, even compared to the 280x.

Yeah I'd swing further towards the 4790k for your specific uses. It helps that the price on the 280 at the moment makes it amazing value for money, even compared to the 280x.

Now, I've heard that the 800 Geforce line is coming in a few months. Is that something I should wait for? Either for the cards themselves, or for the 700 lines prices to go down?

I'm saving up a couple paychecks before I order all of this. So I'm already planning on waiting a month or two at least.

What video editing software are you using? That'll dictate GPU choice.

Premiere and After Effects.

kharma45

Now, I've heard that the 800 Geforce line is coming in a few months. Is that something I should wait for? Either for the cards themselves, or for the 700 lines prices to go down?

I'm saving up a couple paychecks before I order all of this. So I'm already planning on waiting a month or two at least.

Prices won't go down. No actual ETA on the 800 series, and prices will be higher than the 700's are now. Don't expect 700's to drop that much in retail value.

If you're waiting a month or two come back then, no point looking at builds now as it'll have changed by then. Prices fluctuate a lot on most parts. Stuff like PSUs, cases, motherboards are often on sale.

Premiere and After Effects.

You'll want an Nvidia GPU then for CUDA support.

Stubo

Yeah that basically makes your original GPU choice correct for your budget. The only things I'd change would be the RAM (some degree of personal preference), PSU (added overhead for lower rpm and future upgrades) and hard drive to the WD blue (GAF 1Tb drive of choice).

Yeah that basically makes your original GPU choice correct for your budget. The only things I'd change would be the RAM (some degree of personal preference), PSU (added overhead for lower rpm and future upgrades) and hard drive to the WD blue (GAF 1Tb drive of choice).

Ok. Cool. You guys think the GPU/CPU combo will give me good graphical performance for the next few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom