• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Ok. Cool. You guys think the GPU/CPU combo will give me good graphical performance for the next few years?

Yes, but I'd change a few things around from those builds on the other page.

For video editing you're wanting an i7, 16GB of RAM and since you're using Adobe software an Nvidia GPU to make use of CUDA.

So as per the OP's recommendations, I bought the ASUS PB287Q (the 4k monitor). But when attempting to connect it to two crossfired R9 290x's, the screen starts flickering and crackling. I looked it up and it appears as if other people have the same problem and it's a known issue. Is a similar setup working for anyone else?

yatesl

I found installing the CPU cooler to be the hardest part of an entire build. Everything is like Lego, but a cooler involves backplates etc.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After using the MX518 for the past 6 years, today I finally upgraded to the proteus core. :)

edit: nevermind, I'll be returning the g502 due to a faulty scroll wheel :(

kennah

For video editing you're wanting an i7, 16GB of RAM and since you're using Adobe software an Nvidia GPU to make use of CUDA.
Doesn't really matter for the last few versions actually. I was pretty surprised too. The Mac Pro has really leveled the playing field.

kharma45

Doesn't really matter for the last few versions actually. I was pretty surprised too. The Mac Pro has really leveled the playing field.

It'll improve no doubt, but CUDA from what I can see is still better. In this very scientific test of a 670 vs a 290X the 290X won by a mere 6 seconds despite being much more powerful http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2014/04/26/opencl-vs-cuda-adobe-premiere-cc-rendering-test/

Can't really see much out there on CUDA vs OpenCL for Premiere.

Stubo

Yeah the 4790k and EVGA 760 from the original build listed. It's quite difficult to squeeze 16Gb in with the budget though.

kharma45

Yeah the 4790k and EVGA 760 from the original build listed. It's quite difficult to squeeze 16Gb in with the budget though.

True you'd end up $25 over

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1025.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

You can just about get it down to a grand though

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1009.90

Then $15 off that RAM with this http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/reddit/redditopt.asp

Would take it to $995

kiyomi

Dumb question time!

I've done a few Heaven benches on my R7 265 at 1050/1500mhz without adding any power or voltage and all seems good. But Afterburner won't let me go any further, even if I increase the Power Limit.

In Afterburner, do I need to 'Extend official overclocking limits' or 'Unlock voltage control' in the settings? Or am I missing something? I'm guessing it's one of those two, right?

THE:MILKMAN

Try the Silverstone TJ08-E as an alternative.

Thanks, looks interesting. Not sure about the upside down/back to front nature of it, but size wise it looks good.

Looks a bit expensive here in the UK @£65 on Amazon when the Define R4 is £61. If I had the room/hardware the R4 would be my number 1 choice.

I've sent an email to Fractal to find out what the crack is with the Core 1500.

kharma45

Dumb question time!

I've done a few Heaven benches on my R7 265 at 1050/1500mhz without adding any power or voltage and all seems good. But Afterburner won't let me go any further, even if I increase the Power Limit.

In Afterburner, do I need to 'Extend official overclocking limits' or 'Unlock voltage control' in the settings? Or am I missing something? I'm guessing it's one of those two, right?

You'll need both for going above 1050.

You're a magician kharma, nice work!

Danke.

Woffls

I'm building a machine for a friend but I've been a bit out of the loop for a few years on how to spec a machine. Not aiming for ultra settings here, just everything playable at 1080p for a good number of years.

Is there anything here I should change, or does it seem about right?
i5 4690K
GTX 760 (MSI OC Gaming Ed)
8GB TeamGroup Vulcan Red @ 1600MHz
Intel 335 SSD 240GB
AsRock Z97 Pro3
BitFenix Neos ATX Tower

Can get the lot for about £580 on OCUK. Already got a hefty PSU. Thanks.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Is this similar for 3d modeling / animation rendering?

kiyomi

You'll need both for going above 1050.

Danke.

Really? I extended the official overclocking limits, but not the voltage control. Rebooted, and now I can go over 1050 core and 1500 memory. Ran the core clock at 1100Mhz without problem. No other changes.

kharma45

I'm building a machine for a friend but I've been a bit out of the loop for a few years on how to spec a machine. Not aiming for ultra settings here, just everything playable at 1080p for a good number of years.

Is there anything here I should change, or does it seem about right?
i5 4690K
GTX 760 (MSI OC Gaming Ed)
8GB TeamGroup Vulcan Red @ 1600MHz
Intel 335 SSD 240GB
AsRock Z97 Pro3
BitFenix Neos ATX Tower

Can get the lot for about £580 on OCUK. Already got a hefty PSU. Thanks.

No cooler to OC? How is that coming up so cheap for you? It's £610 before postage when I total it up incl. a Hyper 212 and a cheaper GPU in the ASUS 760

QzSuVvP.png

Really? I extended the official overclocking limits, but not the voltage control. Rebooted, and now I can go over 1050 core and 1500 memory. Ran the core clock at 1100Mhz without problem. No other changes.

1100 stable in Heaven with no voltage increase? Sounds like you've hit the big time with the silicon lottery!

Is this similar for 3d modeling / animation rendering?

Depends on the software being used.

kiyomi

1100 stable in Heaven with no voltage increase? Sounds like you've hit the big time with the silicon lottery!

Yeah - only just though because I turned it up to 1125 and it started stuttering and freezing. :p I'll try increasing the voltage tomorrow.

Pretty chuffed though!

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.00 @ Newegg)

Then $15 off that RAM with this http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/reddit/redditopt.asp

Would take it to $995

Wait, how does the 4770K compare to the 4790k?

kharma45

Wait, how does the 4770K compare to the 4790k?

Clocked lower by default and the xx90K should OC further, but it depends. TR in their review sample actually couldn't get it to OC as far as the 4770K. It'll run a bit cooler too. I went the 4770K in those as it saves $20.

Smokey

So finally I believe everything has arrived yesterday so I can start building today:

Cost me around $1170. Super nervous as this is my first build. I must've watched 7 videos on how to apply thermal paste just last night. I even have a grain of uncooked rice for studying purposes. Yep, that's how nervous I am.

Any advice? Also is there video out there on how to build using a R4 case that doesn't have a time lapse? Would like to go as slow as possible. Wish me luck! =[

lol

just take it slow. the only thing that really needs a bit of pressure applied is the CPU into the socket.

So as per the OP's recommendations, I bought the ASUS PB287Q (the 4k monitor). But when attempting to connect it to two crossfired R9 290x's, the screen starts flickering and crackling. I looked it up and it appears as if other people have the same problem and it's a known issue. Is a similar setup working for anyone else?

There's major issues with AMD cards and their 4k monitor. Similar to the issues Nvidia had when the SST 4k panels started to hit. They had to address it in a patch. Seems AMD is working on a solution but yeah....at the moment it's fucked. I have the Samsung 4k monitor (same panel) and I don't have any issues with 3 Titans. The Asus from what I've been reading since launch seems to have more issues than the Samsung...

The Llama

I'd like to replace my old Antec 900 case. It was cramped, managing cables was difficult, and it was just a pain to work in.

Should I get another mid tower? Or a full tower? I haven't followed cases in a while. I don't mind spending a decent bit of money, I just want something that will be really convenient to work with and not get all jammed up with cables and crap.

I'm not sure if I should write off mid towers because of my experience with the 900, or write off Antecs. What size would you go for?

If it matters I'm in Canada and would probably buy locally from Canada Computers.

I had an Antec 900, actually, and just built a new desktop with an NZXT Phantom 630 (which is a full tower). In terms of the build, airflow, appearance, etc. I prefer everything about the Phantom. The only downside is a full tower is BIG. I'd check out a few in person just to make sure. But if size isn't really an issue and you want something thats easy to build and will basically guarantee good airflow, go with a full tower.

JCizzle

Just got a maximus vi impact, installed it all, didn't think to double check and now realize they didn't include the wifi card. FUUUUUUUUU ASUS. Install that shit straight into your fucking boards! Now it's going to be a nightmare seeing if someone (microcenter or Asus) will give me the stupid card without having to uninstall, then return the whole damn thing. UGH.

Woffls

No cooler to OC? How is that coming up so cheap for you? It's £610 before postage when I total it up incl. a Hyper 212 and a cheaper GPU in the ASUS 760
Not going to OC right away. Will leave it a little while to see how it runs and to spread the cost out a bit. If the Intel coolers aren't enough for stock speeds then I could probably add a bit for a decent one. If the hooks are half as annoying as the ones on the Core 2s then I'll want to avoid installing it at all. Those things were a bloody nightmare.

Cheers for the reply. I've swapped the GPU out for the Asus to get this + delivery costs of like a tenner:
Untitled_zpsa150c96a.png

I just swapped the 335 for the MX100 after noticing the staggering difference in random reads. I only looked at the sequential read bandwidth... for shame :(

kharma45

Not going to OC right away. Will leave it a little while to see how it runs and to spread the cost out a bit. If the Intel coolers aren't enough for stock speeds then I could probably add a bit for a decent one. If the hooks are half as annoying as the ones on the Core 2s then I'll want to avoid installing it at all. Those things were a bloody nightmare.

Cheers for the reply. I've swapped the GPU out for the Asus to get this + delivery costs of like a tenner:
Untitled_zpsa150c96a.png

I just swapped the 335 for the MX100 after noticing the staggering difference in random reads. I only looked at the sequential read bandwidth... for shame :(

They're fine for stock speeds the Intel cooler.

Would take it to $995

The CPU Cooler is necessary even if I don't want to make overclock?

Thraktor

Hey guys, been working on getting making a new rig now that my present PC is starting to go FUBAR (And that it's so old it's practically useless now) and just wanted to check with you guys if there's any issues I might not have noticed, or any criticisms of how it will be able to perform running games like CSGO or MGSO'd Morrowind. Not looking to make a high-end rig for hardcore PC gaming, just want something nice and modern that won't have issues in the few PC games I still do play.

And yeah, I know the mobo doesn't have front USB headers. Will look into adding a PCI USB card down the line if it becomes a problem. Also, any issues that would arise gutting the HDD and DVD drive from a prebuilt I have lying around?

Seems like a sensible budget build. A few things, though:

- The processor comes with a cooler, so the only reason you would really need to buy one is for overclocking (which you can't do with an i3 anyway). You're better off saving the $10.

- Get a pair of 4GB sticks or RAM rather than a single 8GB. Using a single stick of RAM limits you to single-channel operation, which means you'd only get half the bandwidth you would with two sticks.

Re-using the HDD and DVD drive shouldn't be a problem.

It'll improve no doubt, but CUDA from what I can see is still better. In this very scientific test of a 670 vs a 290X the 290X won by a mere 6 seconds despite being much more powerful http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2014/04/26/opencl-vs-cuda-adobe-premiere-cc-rendering-test/

Can't really see much out there on CUDA vs OpenCL for Premiere.

The problem with that is that the test is almost certainly CPU limited if the times are that close. It's likely you could throw a Titan and a 260X in there and the time would still be just under the five minute mark.

Amneisac

Should I have gotten faster RAM to go with my i5-4690k? I went with 1600mhz because it was relatively inexpensive, would I notice a significant speed boost with something a little faster? This is more or less 100% gaming, and just a modest overclock of the processor for now, I'm running 4.3ghz on 1.1v - probably won't get more aggressive for a while.

kennah

Seems like a sensible budget build. A few things, though:

- The processor comes with a cooler, so the only reason you would really need to buy one is for overclocking (which you can't do with an i3 anyway). You're better off saving the $10.

- Get a pair of 4GB sticks or RAM rather than a single 8GB. Using a single stick of RAM limits you to single-channel operation, which means you'd only get half the bandwidth you would with two sticks.

Re-using the HDD and DVD drive shouldn't be a problem.

The problem with that is that the test is almost certainly CPU limited if the times are that close. It's likely you could throw a Titan and a 260X in there and the time would still be just under the five minute mark.
More likely disc speed limited at that point actually.

And single channel vs dual channel really isn't that much different, especially with an i3.
Should I have gotten faster RAM to go with my i5-4690k? I went with 1600mhz because it was relatively inexpensive, would I notice a significant speed boost with something a little faster? This is more or less 100% gaming, and just a modest overclock of the processor for now, I'm running 4.3ghz on 1.1v - probably won't get more aggressive for a while.
Nah. Faster than 160" doesn't make that much different on intel chips with a gpu. If it were an igpu and an amd chip then sure.

Some benches show 1833 to be the sweet spot but we haven't seen anything conclusive. (And the difference is usually something like 2-5%)

liezryou

Not sure if this comes under the domain of this thread, but.... can anyone help me configure QoS on my router? So many variables @.@

Renekton

If you're running top end GPUs, you may notice ~5% boost in performance.

Amneisac

Not sure if this comes under the domain of this thread, but.... can anyone help me configure QoS on my router? So many variables @.@

This probably won't help you, but I always just turn it off. Of course, it's just me and my wife and usually all the bandwidth is at my disposal anyways.

liezryou

This probably won't help you, but I always just turn it off. Of course, it's just me and my wife and usually all the bandwidth is at my disposal anyways.

I need to use it so that when 10 people are connected to my wifi my computer doesn't slow down due to them.

Kevyt

What do you guys think about this rig I'm about to build? I bought most of the parts already and they're on their way already:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KyXfnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KyXfnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1364.82

I plan to mildly overclock... This is my first build for myself. Do you guys think this rig will be able to play The Witcher 3 on Medium-High settings with decent fps?

This is the first time I've gone with an AMD card, the other pc's that I built have been with NVIDIA cards... I hope the card performs well otherwise it will be a first bad impression... lol

Also, I'm very fond of NVIDIA cards because of CUDA cores because it helps with a lot of other programs I like to use. I will also miss using the Nvidia panel which is far better than AMD's from what I have heard.

The Llama

What do you guys think about this rig I'm about to build? I bought most of the parts already and they're on their way already:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KyXfnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KyXfnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.91 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1364.82

I plan to mildly overclock... This is my first build for myself. Do you guys think this rig will be able to play The Witcher 3 on Medium-High settings with decent fps?

This is the first time I've gone with an AMD card, the other pc's that I built have been with NVIDIA cards... I hope the card performs well otherwise it will be a first bad impression... lol
I just built an extremely simular PC (only real differences are 16GB of ram and an SSD) and that's a great build, but you really really need to find a way to get an SSD.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got a good deal on a EVGA Hadron Air for $85/shipped.

Why did I buy it?? I have no clue. Kinda been toying with doing a small rig for my family room, so that when people come over we can play together.

Thinking I might throw in that new Pentium. I have an old (but never used) 750W Corsair PSU I can sell to offset the costs. That new Pentium at $60 at Microcenter plus some cheap used RAM and a cheap cooler? Only thing that would be pricey is the mobo and GPU (used 750Ti is like $100).

Gonna do some research on mATX options I've got...

Kevyt

I just built an extremely simular PC (only real differences are 16GB of ram and an SSD) and that's a great build, but you really really need to find a way to get an SSD.

Yeah I will get an SSD eventually, but I actually have a question about it. So I'm thinking of getting a Sansung 840 Evo 250gb SSD from amazon ($130). I will also try to get another memory module.

For the HDD and SSD, can you pair them up together? I remember there is an option in windows 7 to "unite" two hdd's together into one rather than showing two separate drives. If so, will this impact performance? If this isn't possible... the OS should be in the SSD, and my games and large files on the HDD? Once again does this have an impact on performance (the OS running on a different drive and games/large files on the other drive).

I apologize for my noob questions :p

Renekton

For the HDD and SSD, can you pair them up together? I remember there is an option in windows 7 to "unite" two hdd's together into one rather than showing two separate drives. If so, will this impact performance? If this isn't possible... the OS should be in the SSD, and my games and large files on the HDD? Once again does this have an impact on performance (the OS running on a different drive and games/large files on the other drive).
Yeah, it's spanned volume in Windows 7 and logical drive in Windows 8.

Not sure about performance, haven't tried them before. I find it more efficient to separate the two.

asdad123

Just got a good deal on a EVGA Hadron Air for $85/shipped.

Why did I buy it?? I have no clue. Kinda been toying with doing a small rig for my family room, so that when people come over we can play together.

Thinking I might throw in that new Pentium. I have an old (but never used) 750W Corsair PSU I can sell to offset the costs. That new Pentium at $60 at Microcenter plus some cheap used RAM and a cheap cooler? Only thing that would be pricey is the mobo and GPU (used 750Ti is like $100).

Gonna do some research on mATX options I've got...

Where'd you score that? I'd love that case but $170 is pretty expensive. I'd just on 85 in a heart beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom