• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Where'd you score that? I'd love that case but $170 is pretty expensive. I'd just on 85 in a heart beat

Unfortunately used from a reputable seller on another forum. Otherwise I'd love to point you in the right direction!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any word lately on more g-sync monitors being available anytime soon? When should we see Newegg or Amazon selling the VG248QE with the gsync kit pre-installed?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm imagining what this case must have gone through to be 'unfortunately used' ;)

Ha, yeah, that's what I get for trying to reply on my phone. I meant "unfortunately for him guy looking to score one)."

I'm told by the seller it's in good condition save for the bracket for the slot-load drive is missing and there's a small scuff on the front.

Should make for a perfect LAN box.

Tapejara

Put my PC together with some buddies the other night. Only part I didn't have was the GPU (I'm going for an R9 290 but don't have the cash at the moment so we just used my HD 7570). There are some issues with the computer booting, but I'm hoping to fix those tomorrow when my friend helps finish the build. First time I've really put a computer together; it's so exciting!

badb0y

Sup PC-GAF. I finally rebuilt my PC into a smaller chassis and I like the results. It was hard to get everything to fit in but it looks better than I could have imagined.
Sorry for the shitty iPhone pics.
securedownload1_zps68dadf89.jpg

securedownload_zps08fc05d0.jpg

Specs:

i7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz
GTX 780 SLI @ stock
Crucial MX100 512GB
NZXT Hale90 750 Watt
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 8GB
ASUS Maximus V Gene
Silverstone SG10
Noctua NH-D14

Okay I believe I'm finished with the last step. Now before I seal this and test it out. I just want to make sure if the graphics card to psu connection was done right. Thanks guys.

Okay so I connected the 8-pin connector to the second slot to the left on the PSU and used the 6pin+2pin for the 8-connector on the graphics card. The 6-pin with the 2-pin dangling on the right (graphics card pic) came from the second hard connected PCI cable from the PSU. It's a Seasonic 650W 80 Gold, btw.

So nervous right now.

Ambition

Put my PC together with some buddies the other night. Only part I didn't have was the GPU (I'm going for an R9 290 but don't have the cash at the moment so we just used my HD 7570). There some issues with the computer booting, but I'm hoping to fix those tomorrow when my friend helps finish the build. First time I've really put a computer together; it's so exciting!

Good job! The most satisfying sound in the world is a freshly built PC booting.

badb0y

Okay I believe I'm finished with the last step. Now before I seal this and test it out. I just want to make sure if the graphics card to psu connection was done right. Thanks guys.

Okay so I connected the 8-pin connector to the second slot to the left on the PSU and used the 6pin+2pin for the 8-connector on the graphics card. The 6-pin with the 2-pin dangling on the right (graphics card pic) came from the second hard connected PCI cable from the PSU. It's a Seasonic 650W 80 Gold, btw.

So nervous right now.
Looks fine to me.

Hawk269

lol

just take it slow. the only thing that really needs a bit of pressure applied is the CPU into the socket.

There's major issues with AMD cards and their 4k monitor. Similar to the issues Nvidia had when the SST 4k panels started to hit. They had to address it in a patch. Seems AMD is working on a solution but yeah....at the moment it's fucked. I have the Samsung 4k monitor (same panel) and I don't have any issues with 3 Titans. The Asus from what I've been reading since launch seems to have more issues than the Samsung...

Smokey how are those 3 Titans working out at 4k? What kind of FPS are you getting in games like Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs? I finally got all my issues resolved with my 4k TV and thinking of adding a 3rd card, but have not pulled the trigger as of yet.

NJDEN

Well I ordered my new case, water cooler and RAM today. Will be ordering SSD, PSU, back fan, radiator fans, monitor, as well as a conglomerate of cables on Thursday... I'm recycling my motherboard and graphics card (until the 800 or 900 series comes out).

This is really an aesthetics upgrade, I'm only going to see quality & performance jumps in the CPU cooling and the monitor, but I'm still super excited. I'll have to post some pictures when its all together sometime next week or so.

Branson

Holy shit. Like damn. I just installed a new cooler so I can overclock my 2500k and from cold boot it didnt show any signal from my video card. It turned on but it didnt act like it was using the CPU. I thought I had fried my shit.

Turns out I just didnt connect the 8 pin CPU power. Holy shit what a stressful thing to happen. Cooler is nice though. Idle right now on the desktop and its 29-36c and under load is about 45c. Now just to overclock which doesnt seem too bad.

So I turned on my built PC, hooked it up via HDMI to my TV (cuz I don't have another monitor yet) and I see nothing displayed. I see the light on the power indicator and the fans are working but nothing else. I'm too tired to start working on this all over again. =[

Branson

So I turned on my built PC, hooked it up via HDMI to my TV (cuz I don't have another monitor yet) and I see nothing displayed. I see the light on the power indicator and the fans are working but nothing else. I'm too tired to start working on this all over again. =[

Is there a red light or a light on that says CPU by it?

Is there a red light or a light on that says CPU by it?

The Power LED comes on in white light. I see there are red lights illuminating from the back of the case. I hear the fans whirling but yep, no display. I wish I didn't have to go to work in 6 hours. =[

Branson

The Power LED comes on in white light. I see there are red lights illuminating from the back of the case. I hear the fans whirling but yep, no display. I wish I didn't have to go to work in 6 hours. =[

Did you connect the 8pin power connector to the motherboard for the CPU?

Did you connect the 8pin power connector to the motherboard for the CPU?

Yeah I did. I followed the video that was provided to me. 24 pin I connected, I believe there were 2 4-pin connectors where I connected it to the top left side of the installed Mobo, where the panel inputs go.

I provided pics above this page. I'm using one 8 pin connected on the PCI slot side of the PSU, which was connected to the 290 graphics card, using the 6-pin and dangling 2-pin.

Tablo

I think every time I come into this thread it's to ask why the fuck ram prices are so high. Why the fuck are ram prices so high!?
Well at one point they were abnormally low for one, and second production is sort of winding down. I assume most production is aimed at mobile too, DDR4 transition won't help either.

Branson

Yeah I did. I followed the video that was provided to me. 24 pin I connected, I believe there were 2 4-pin connectors where I connected it to the top left side of the installed Mobo, where the panel inputs go.

I provided pics above this page. I'm using one 8 pin connected on the PCI slot side of the PSU, which was connected to the 290 graphics card, using the 6-pin and dangling 2-pin.

Did your motherboard beep or anything from a boot? Is the HDMI plugged in all the way? Correct TV input? Sorry if these are stupid questions but just trying to help man lol.

Did your motherboard beep or anything from a boot? Is the HDMI plugged in all the way? Correct TV input? Sorry if these are stupid questions but just trying to help man lol.

Nah it's okay. I need all the help I can get with this thing.

Yeah it's on the HDMI slot, I have it set on the HDMI signal. So far, I'm not hearing any beeps coming from the machine. I have my ear close to it. Fan next to the panel is working cuz I feel the air.

Sigh.

Bear

I'm seriously considering a second GTX 670 but I only have a 2 GB card. Is SLI worth it with just 2 GB or should I save my money for a new card instead? I haven't run into any VRAM limitations yet but I'm wondering how long it will last me.

I have a 144 Hz monitor so my top priority is better frame rates, especially in 3D. I'm also concerned about system requirements for The Witcher 3 since I really want something that can can give me good performance at max settings (or close to it).

yamo

Crap, my PC kept restarting itself over and over and just a little while ago it totally died... I could see a little flash from inside the casing and felt the smell of burnt electronics. :(

So i'm gonna wait for it to cool down a little then try start it again. You guys have any suggestions what might have happened? I'd guess a fan or something stopped and made it overheat

Edit: I managed to start it now and as I guessed the fan to the CPU cooler is not running! Hopefully nothing is damaged and the flash I noticed was from the fan itself.

LilJoka

Yeah I will get an SSD eventually, but I actually have a question about it. So I'm thinking of getting a Sansung 840 Evo 250gb SSD from amazon ($130). I will also try to get another memory module.

For the HDD and SSD, can you pair them up together? I remember there is an option in windows 7 to "unite" two hdd's together into one rather than showing two separate drives. If so, will this impact performance? If this isn't possible... the OS should be in the SSD, and my games and large files on the HDD? Once again does this have an impact on performance (the OS running on a different drive and games/large files on the other drive).

I apologize for my noob questions :p

Have a look at the Crucial MX100, its a bit cheaper than the Samsung.

I would not use Windows to treat the SSD and HDD as one drive, because if one drive fails all the data is lost. In terms of performance, im not sure what will happen if you do this with an SSD and HDD, but sounds like a bad idea to me.

Keep them separate, OS on SSD, games on the HDD. This means Windows feels snappy, put your programs like browser, office etc on the SSD. Games on the SSD, so load times will be as normal, there is no fps gain from having games on an SSD.

ACIDTITAN

Banned
Picking up a 4K monitor wanting to know if 2gb Vram GTX 770 would be enough

im not talking about ulta graphics i mean in genreal will i be able to run games at that res using 2gb vam.

waiting for maxwell vram to upgrade etc

kami_sama

Sup PC-GAF. I finally rebuilt my PC into a smaller chassis and I like the results. It was hard to get everything to fit in but it looks better than I could have imagined.
Sorry for the shitty iPhone pics.

Specs:

i7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz
GTX 780 SLI @ stock
Crucial MX100 512GB
NZXT Hale90 750 Watt
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 8GB
ASUS Maximus V Gene
Silverstone SG10
Noctua NH-D14
I love how tiny it looks, how are temperatures? Cramming 2 780s in such a tiny space has to be hot.

kharma45

I'm gonna upgrade my processor soon, but I can't decide between i5-4670K or i7-4790. Which one should I take Gaf?

If it's gaming go 4670K or 4690K. If you do photoshop, video editing or anything else that'll make use of all the threads an i7 can offer then 4770K/4790K.

riflen

Picking up a 4K monitor wanting to know if 2gb Vram GTX 770 would be enough

im not talking about ulta graphics i mean in genreal will i be able to run games at that res using 2gb vam.

waiting for maxwell vram to upgrade etc

The 2GB 770 is not often benched at 4k, because the results can be unplayable in a lot of current games. If you're OK with low to medium settings at up to 50fps, sure. It depends largely on what you're playing.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/896

Personally, I'd never bother buying that display now. If you wait until your GPU is suitable, the display will likely be a little cheaper or there'll be more choice by then.

Nah it's okay. I need all the help I can get with this thing.

Yeah it's on the HDMI slot, I have it set on the HDMI signal. So far, I'm not hearing any beeps coming from the machine. I have my ear close to it. Fan next to the panel is working cuz I feel the air.

Sigh.

Are you plugged into the dedicated graphics card HDMI output and not the HDMI output on the motherboard?

Ark

I've already posted this in the BF4 thread but I figured I'd post it here because I haven't seen anyone else with a similar problem so it's worth a shot:

Okay this is really fucking weird. I can't play BF4 anymore because the game is taking control of my character for me. I've tried using different keyboards and different mice, but every time after I've spawned for a couple of seconds (if that) the aim goes all floaty, starts going off on it's own and I can't do anything. My keyboard inputs don't register, my mouse movements don't register, I can shoot but it has like a 5-second delay and I can't even hit the esc button because that has a 5-second delay too. I've never seen anything like this before, I even did a restore on Origin and it's probably worse than before.... Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely stumped.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this but does anyone have any experience with the ASUS Vivopc line. I was looking at a VM60 to be a steambox. Any thoughts?

PaulLFC

I've already posted this in the BF4 thread but I figured I'd post it here because I haven't seen anyone else with a similar problem so it's worth a shot:

Okay this is really fucking weird. I can't play BF4 anymore because the game is taking control of my character for me. I've tried using different keyboards and different mice, but every time after I've spawned for a couple of seconds (if that) the aim goes all floaty, starts going off on it's own and I can't do anything. My keyboard inputs don't register, my mouse movements don't register, I can shoot but it has like a 5-second delay and I can't even hit the esc button because that has a 5-second delay too. I've never seen anything like this before, I even did a restore on Origin and it's probably worse than before.... Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely stumped.
Do you have a controller connected? Something similar happened to me with Sanctum, the camera would just move upwards until it reached its highest point and then stop there. I unplugged the 360 controller I had connected (after a LOT of wondering what the hell was going on) and then the problem went away.

I'm seriously considering a second GTX 670 but I only have a 2 GB card. Is SLI worth it with just 2 GB or should I save my money for a new card instead? I haven't run into any VRAM limitations yet but I'm wondering how long it will last me.

I have a 144 Hz monitor so my top priority is better frame rates, especially in 3D. I'm also concerned about system requirements for The Witcher 3 since I really want something that can can give me good performance at max settings (or close to it).

As a tempted as I am to try and pitch you the 670 I have for sale in the B/S/T thread, I'd say don't do it. The 800 series cards will be out before Witcher 3 in February (I would really fucking hope). Wait 'til then and decide what to do (either buy a used 700 series or a new 800).

There's is absolutely no way I'd be buying a 2GB card right now unless I was really desperate for a gaming PC right now. But, you already have one so you can wait it out no problem.

I was thinking: is it crazy to use a GTX480 as a dedicated physx card?

Will my 700W psu be enough?

Provided that I manage to fit it alongside my Titan, that is xD

Mully

Quick question.

I bought this last year. Unfortunately, it fell off the side of my bed a few months ago and has been unable to get past the BIOS since. It seems like the hard drive broke from the fall.

Should I spend the $200-$300 to get it repaired or buy a Chromebook? I bought the laptop for $800 at the time and the last thing I want to is miss out on an investment like that.

Stubo

Quick question.

I bought this last year. Unfortunately, it fell off the side of my bed a few months ago and has been unable to get past the BIOS since. It seems like the hard drive broke from the fall.

Should I spend the $200-$300 to get it repaired or buy a Chromebook? I bought the laptop for $800 at the time and the last thing I want to is miss out on an investment like that.
I don't suppose you have any other 2.5" drives you could test on it to see if it's just the hard drive? Buying a new drive (ssd even) would be much cheaper than sending it off to get repaired from the sounds of it.

Smokey

Smokey how are those 3 Titans working out at 4k? What kind of FPS are you getting in games like Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs? I finally got all my issues resolved with my 4k TV and thinking of adding a 3rd card, but have not pulled the trigger as of yet.

Crysis 3 ran great maxed at 4k. I don't have exact numbers at the moment. I'm currently using my Dell U3011. Haven't gone back to WD after the launch fiasco.

Basically if the game offers proper scaling you'll see some gains from the 3rd card. Just understand that with 3 cards you are in a very small minority so games may be hit or miss. If support isn't there you can just use NV Inspector to disable the 3rd card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom