• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibus

I appreciate the suggestions, unfortunately before I try out what you posted the computer just stopped turning on altogether. Oh well, at this point I think I'll just bring it into a shop and have them fix it. Thanks anyway!

No problem, I hope you get this resolved. I had a similar situation when I tried to build my new PC recently. Turned out my CPU was not fully compatible with my motherboard.

There's always Best Buy and Geek Squad.

DevilFox

Quick question, gaf. Let's say I'm going to build a new system soon for gaming and video rendering, about $1400. I was wondering if a Mini or Micro ATX would make sense or it's just gonna give me lower performance and durability.
The point is that I run across the Air 240 and it's so tempting after years of full tower, so.. what do you say? It's an option or I should stick with mid/full towers and normal ATX motherboars?

kennah

Quick question, gaf. Let's say I'm going to build a new system soon for gaming and video rendering, about $1400. I was wondering if a Mini or Micro ATX would make sense or it's just gonna give me lower performance and durability.
The point is that I run across the Air 240 and it's so tempting after years of full tower, so.. what do you say? It's an option or I should stick with mid/full towers and normal ATX motherboars?
I am never building another full ATX system again. You're safe running small computers these days.

Tablo

Well now that I have the damn funds for parts, I'm extra pissed that the Silverstone 600W SFX unit still isn't out, and that the Maximus Impact VII is still a fall release.

The 600W SFX full modular would have made a Node 304 build way tidier/nice...
I'm thinking Coolermaster VSM650 instead. 140mm, the 550 has the same dimensions and it worked fine in my cousin's Node 304 build I guess.
The one issue I had there was this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132122

One RAM slot was DOA and the backplate would not fit into place in the Node, I swear I tried. I'd switch mobos but Asus's UEFI BIOS is too slick. And I'm probably not going to have a DOA RAM slot twice in a row...

Azzurri

Gold Member

Go matx or mitx. I'm trying to go as small as possible too wo losing performance

Tapejara

Wow, so my computer problem was actually the stupidest thing. It wouldn't turn on because my friend took the jumper cap off of the CLRTC pins. I put it back on, used it to clear the CMOS and now the computer boots to Windows.

Now I just need to reinstall the CPU Cooler and the second RAM stick and I'm good to go :D.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Wow, so my computer problem was actually the stupidest thing. It wouldn't turn on because my friend took the jumper cap off of the CLRTC pins. I put it back on, used it to clear the CMOS and now the computer boots to Windows.

Now I just need to reinstall the CPU Cooler and the second RAM stick and I'm good to go :D.

Wow, well at least you figured out what the issue was...I know this type of thing can definitely make your heart skip a few beats! :D

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think with that Hadron Air I picked up on the cheap, I'm gonna create a portable/potent LAN box to compliment my main gaming rig. Something that I can load up with multiplayer games on a second Steam account (TF2, CSGO, Starcraft II, Guild Wars, ToR, Civ V, etc) and play on my TV or let friends play when they come over. It's not gonna run BF4, Crysis 3, etc etc... but it would be fine for fooling around when friends come over, and since it's on air and small, I can bring it with me to friends' houses and to LAN events.

Plan on loading it up with a Pentium 3258 for $60 from Microcenter. And I have an extra 128GB SSD for storage.

I see SC 750 Ti cards going for ~$100. Wish I could find some SUPER cheap 4GBs of RAM. RAM is pricey.. anybody have 4-8gigs (two sticks) on the cheap they might be able to hook me up with?

PSU is taken care of. So are fans.

So, that leaves the mobo... in the OP, only mITX boards listed are $100+. Doesn't seem necessary for what I'm going after. Are *any* of the sub-$70 boards decent for a small OC and that's it?

Tapejara

Wow, well at least you figured out what the issue was...I know this type of thing can definitely make your heart skip a few beats! :D

No kidding lol! I was pissed off thinking about how I might have to replace the mobo or PSU. Who knew a little piece of plastic could cause so much trouble :p.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I think with that Hadron Air I picked up on the cheap, I'm gonna create a portable/potent LAN box to compliment my main gaming rig. Something that I can load up with multiplayer games on a second Steam account (TF2, CSGO, Starcraft II, Guild Wars, ToR, Civ V, etc) and play on my TV or let friends play when they come over. It's not gonna run BF4, Crysis 3, etc etc... but it would be fine for fooling around when friends come over, and since it's on air and small, I can bring it with me to friends' houses and to LAN events.

Plan on loading it up with a Pentium 3258 for $60 from Microcenter. And I have an extra 128GB SSD for storage.

I see SC 750 Ti cards going for ~$100. Wish I could find some SUPER cheap 4GBs of RAM. RAM is pricey.. anybody have 4-8gigs (two sticks) on the cheap they might be able to hook me up with?

PSU is taken care of. So are fans.

So, that leaves the mobo... in the OP, only mITX boards listed are $100+. Doesn't seem necessary for what I'm going after. Are *any* of the sub-$70 boards decent for a small OC and that's it?

Awesome...as an owner of a pretty beefy system in a Hadron Air, I must let you know it is still quite heavy all loaded up, so make sure you have a good carry on with wheels (of backpack if you hit the gym up) to bring it with you.

If you need any advice on the build, or tips on the Air, let me know via PM (better), or here, and I will try and help you out the best I can :)

Martian

So Gaf, this is probably going to be my setup for PC around 650-700 euros (and hoping to staying around 650).

CPU: i5 4460
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB gaming
HDD: WD blue WD10EZEX 1 TB
Case: Cooler Master N300
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4gb
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB
Power: Seasoning S12II-Bronze 520W
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

Any comments/notes?

I also read on some other forum that some motherboards need BIOS updates. How do you do this and do you think that will be necessary with this mobo?

Reposted for next page

Well, ordered my parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR
Case: Rosewill ARMOR-EVO
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 700W
Wi-fi: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Storage: 500GB HDD*
Optical Drive: DVD Burner*
$1345.63 (*these I already had sitting around the house and had forgotten about :p)
The first bunch (the cooler and PSU) should be here today with the rest rolling in Tuesday or Wednesday. Wish me luck! :)

You'll need another if you want to max every game and achieve 60fps+ at 2560x1440p
I max BF4 at 1440P - AA is off for me as AA at such a high resolution is not worth it to me.

GTX 780 vanilla, so if he can do without AA he will be fine. I get 60fps 90%+ of the time. Only seen it drop below 60 once in 17 hrs of play.

kiyomi

Well, ordered my parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR
Case: Rosewill ARMOR-EVO
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 700W
Wi-fi: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Storage: 500GB HDD*
Optical Drive: DVD Burner*
$1345.63 (*these I already had sitting around the house and had forgotten about :p)
The first bunch (the cooler and PSU) should be here today with the rest rolling in Tuesday or Wednesday. Wish me luck! :)

Still think it's nuts you're spending $1300 on a PC and not even getting a 120GB SSD.

rafbanaan

Is it a problem that 2 GPU's in SLI have different clockspeeds?

Does it produce lag/stutter?

I max BF4 at 1440P - AA is off for me as AA at such a high resolution is not worth it to me.

GTX 780 vanilla, so if he can do without AA he will be fine. I get 60fps 90%+ of the time. Only seen it drop below 60 once in 17 hrs of play.

Good to know. Thanks.

Tapejara

Yes - but you don't have to pay Silverstone prices for it

http://www.newegg.com/SSD-HDD-Accessories/SubCategory/ID-43

there's ton of them

Thanks!

If you have an external 3.5" bay free in your case, yes. The product you link also happens to provide external-facing USB 3.0 ports. Does your motherboard provide USB 3.0 support?

If you don't need the USB ports, there are also bay adapters to convert internal 3.5" or external 5.25" bays into 2.5". They are just brackets you install with a few screws:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EO1UQ6/

Yup, got an 3.5 inch bay free and my motherboard does support 3.0, Thanks for bringing my attention to the adapters.

riflen

Am I reading this right: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=275 this bay drive will allow me to use 2.5 inch hard drives on my PC? I have an some lying around from when I upgraded my PS3's HDD, and since I don't really use laptops I wouldn't mind sticking them somewhere.

If you have an external 3.5" bay free in your case, yes. The product you link also happens to provide external-facing USB 3.0 ports. Does your motherboard provide USB 3.0 support?

If you don't need the USB ports, there are also bay adapters to convert internal 3.5" or external 5.25" bays into 2.5". They are just brackets you install with a few screws:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EO1UQ6/

Icomp

Quick question, which graphics card should I choose.

I don't want to spend too much since it seems as if a new generation of cards is coming.

R9 270
GTX 660
R7 265
Radeon HD7870

A fast response is really appreciated

kennah

Quick question, which graphics card should I choose.

I don't want to spend too much since it seems as if a new generation of cards is coming.

R9 270
GTX 660
R7 265
Radeon HD7870

A fast response is really appreciated
265 or whichever you find cheapest.

Smokey

He asked for max though which includes AA. If he doesn't include AA as "maxing" a game then yeah, turning that down or off will really help.

riflen

He asked for max though which includes AA. If he doesn't include AA as "maxing" a game then yeah, turning that down or off will really help.

Yes, and the Frostbite engine is particularly prone to aliasing. I think it has to do with the chroma sub-sampling it employs. You can throw tons of AA at bonkers resolutions at it and still not remove the aliasing from BF4.

Amneisac

What 120mm fans are advised for case intake ?

That's a tough question to give an answer to without more information. Is it important that they be quiet? Will it be pulling through an air filter or otherwise obstructed, etc. Voltage controlled or PWM, on and on. I'd just check around for different reviews online until you find something you like.

Speaking of fans... what's the GAF consensus on max. operating temperature for an i5-4690k? I tend to go conservative, and mine topped out at 80c on Prime95 with my case fan controller turned all the way down. It's 1.1v and 4.3ghz (like I said, conservative). It was very stable at higher speeds and voltage up to 1.25v, but temps were creeping towards 90c and I got a little freaked out for 24/7 usage.

riflen

That's a tough question to give an answer to without more information. Is it important that they be quiet? Will it be pulling through an air filter or otherwise obstructed, etc. Voltage controlled or PWM, on and on. I'd just check around for different reviews online until you find something you like.

Speaking of fans... what's the GAF consensus on max. operating temperature for an i5-4690k? I tend to go conservative, and mine topped out at 80c on Prime95 with my case fan controller turned all the way down. It's 1.1v and 4.3ghz (like I said, conservative). It was very stable at higher speeds and voltage up to 1.25v, but temps were creeping towards 90c and I got a little freaked out for 24/7 usage.

Well, you could consider an offset overclock. It's important to note too that Prime95 stress tests are not representative of normal load scenarios. You're not likely to hit 90 degrees in real-world use, unless you have inadequate cooling, or your real-world use is running Prime95 all day.

I have a 256gb crucial m4 in my current build. Am I going to notice any real world difference if I upgrade to a current gen SSD in a new build vs reusing the m4? I am thinking no, but I am curious to hear other opinions.

kennah

I have a 256gb crucial m4 in my current build. Am I going to notice any real world difference if I upgrade to a current gen SSD in a new build vs reusing the m4? I am thinking no, but I am curious to hear other opinions.
Do you do heavy disc stuff or just games? There is very little real world difference between the ssds

riflen

Unless your SSD has lost a lot of performance from dead cells (check SMART info), probably not. You'll be measuring any improvements to load or boot times at a few seconds, if that.
It'll be nothing like the giant improvement seen by moving from spinning platters to solid-state. Booting cold to Windows in 11 seconds instead of 14 seconds? Who cares?

Do you do heavy disc stuff or just games? There is very little real world difference between the ssds

Just games.

Unless your SSD has lost a lot of performance from dead cells (check SMART info), probably not. You'll be measuring any improvements to load or boot times at a few seconds, if that.
It'll be nothing like the giant improvement seen by moving from spinning platters to solid-state. Booting cold to Windows in 11 seconds instead of 14 seconds? Who cares?

Its in good shape, no dead cells. Thats exactly what I was thinking...the real improvement is going from platters to SSDs and not necessarily between different SSDs.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Awesome...as an owner of a pretty beefy system in a Hadron Air, I must let you know it is still quite heavy all loaded up, so make sure you have a good carry on with wheels (of backpack if you hit the gym up) to bring it with you.

If you need any advice on the build, or tips on the Air, let me know via PM (better), or here, and I will try and help you out the best I can :)

Perfect! Thanks for the heads up on the weight... I'll probably hunt for a LAN-specific carrying bag of sorts when I'm all wrapped up.

Also, thanks for the offer. I'll probably end up shooting you a PM waaay down the road ;p

Mascot

No reason why a laptop HDD couldn't be fitted in a desktop, is there? I found a half TB one that was whipped out of my laptop to make way for a full TB.

rafbanaan

If it's just for BF4 I probably wouldn't get a second. Just mess around with AA and HBAO and you can probably get to consistent 60fps even if everything else stays at ultra.

I also play Arma 3, Metro Last Light, PlanetSide 2 etc.

For the PSU:

Cooler Master V850 - 850 Watt or Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition - 850 Watt or Seasonic G-Series G-750 - 750 Watt

Smokey

Some guy over at OCN is actually tracking the boat that contains the ROG Swift US monitors. Posted a screen and everything lol

Smokey

Hahah. Are you thinking about picking up several for surround, Smokey?

Probably not. I liked NV Surround, but seems like NV is going away from it. Even for new releases you have to find some workarounds or use Widscreen Fixer . $2,400 for 3 of those could go to a nice and more needed water cooling setup for my system. Not that I'd spend that much on cooling, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom