• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

Do you have a controller connected? Something similar happened to me with Sanctum, the camera would just move upwards until it reached its highest point and then stop there. I unplugged the 360 controller I had connected (after a LOT of wondering what the hell was going on) and then the problem went away.

No controller connected :L I'll try some other stuff but I'm afraid to reinstall over 40gbs...

Smokey

Picking up a 4K monitor wanting to know if 2gb Vram GTX 770 would be enough

im not talking about ulta graphics i mean in genreal will i be able to run games at that res using 2gb vam.

waiting for maxwell vram to upgrade etc

I wouldn't do it with a 2GB card.

teiresias

So what's currently the best DS4 wrapper to use? The one I'm currently using is the original that is apparently not supported anymore, but there seems to be like four variants floating around the PCSX2 forums. Anyone have a suggestion?

K' Dash

So what's currently the best DS4 wrapper to use? The one I'm currently using is the original that is apparently not supported anymore, but there seems to be like four variants floating around the PCSX2 forums. Anyone have a suggestion?

I'd like to know this as well.

Tommy DJ

Would like ur impressions.

If you must get one, get the Asus 28" 4K monitor. Its as more practical design. As far as I know, all 28" 4K monitors priced at ~$500 all use the same panel so image quality should be similar across all brands. In general, I personally wouldn't recommend any of those 28" monitors since they're all pretty bad monitors the minute we ignore the resolution. The contrast is not good, input lag might be high enough to buffer one frame, and its got TN viewing angles.

I have a question of my own. I'm looking for a 1000W PSU. I'm currently mulling over the Coolermaster V1000 (Seasonic KM3) or the EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 (Superflower Leadex). They're pretty comparable but what I'm most interested in is the likelihood for coil chine and fan noise in these two PSUs. Does anyone know if newer Seasonics have fixed their past reputation for high incidence of coil whine?

rafbanaan

I'm wondering how well my 780Ti (Stock) will do with 1440p. I always want 60fps+ with the game in 90% of the case on ultra. I currently have 1080p. I'm scared that when I go 1440p I wont get those 60fps+ in every game.

Is this achievable?

Smokey

I'm wondering how well my 780Ti (Stock) will do with 1440p. I always want 60fps+ with the game in 90% of the case on ultra. I currently have 1080p. I'm scared that when I go 1440p I wont get those 60fps+ in every game.

Is this achievable?

You'll need another if you want to max every game and achieve 60fps+ at 2560x1440p

Mully

I don't suppose you have any other 2.5" drives you could test on it to see if it's just the hard drive? Buying a new drive (ssd even) would be much cheaper than sending it off to get repaired from the sounds of it.

I tried a 2.5" from a Win 7 laptop that no longer works. It got past the BIOS and into loading Win 7 (instead of 8 that was on the old one) but failed to start. Feeling defeated and having some extra cash, I bought a 500GB SSD.

Am I missing something?

PaulLFC

I'd like to know this as well.
When I looked over a week ago it seemed like there were two main replacements - I chose DS4Windows, and it seems to be a good choice so far. It's got 3 updates in the time since I had it installed (it has an auto update checker), so it's well supported currently. Works fine too in the games I've tested it on.

The only thing I would say is because it became popular, the dev has added an advert in the profile config window - he says there "may" be an option to pay a one time fee to disable it in the future, but there isn't one currently. If that bothers either of you then I'd explore another option instead - personally I'm fine with it as I found after initial setup I've never really needed to look at the application and it just runs in the background minimised to the system tray, so I don't even see the ad.

Martian

So Gaf, this is probably going to be my setup for PC around 650-700 euros (and hoping to staying around 650).

CPU: i5 4460
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB gaming
HDD: WD blue WD10EZEX 1 TB
Case: Cooler Master N300
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4gb
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB
Power: Seasoning S12II-Bronze 520W
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

Any comments/notes?

I also read on some other forum that some motherboards need BIOS updates. How do you do this and do you think that will be necessary with this mobo?

kennah

I tried a 2.5" from a Win 7 laptop that no longer works. It got past the BIOS and into loading Win 7 (instead of 8 that was on the old one) but failed to start. Feeling defeated and having some extra cash, I bought a 500GB SSD.

Am I missing something?
Sounds about right for a dead hard drive. You'll need to reload when the SSD comes. Likely everything on the old hard drive is gone forever.

It didn't load into windows because the hard ware configuration between the two computers is so different. You could return the SSD and use the old hard drive if you like.

Mully

Sounds about right for a dead hard drive. You'll need to reload when the SSD comes. Likely everything on the old hard drive is gone forever.

It didn't load into windows because the hard ware configuration between the two computers is so different. You could return the SSD and use the old hard drive if you like.

Are you sure? The HDD from my old computer couldn't load Win 7 when I had the installation disc in.

I'm sorry. Pardon my ignorance. So you're saying that the HDD from the old Win 7 laptop could work on the busted HDD Win 8 one?

kennah

Are you sure? The HDD from my old computer couldn't load Win 7 when I had the installation disc in.

I'm sorry. Pardon my ignorance. So you're saying that the HDD from the old Win 7 laptop could work on the busted HDD Win 8 one?
I wasn't clear sorry.

Which installation disc were you using? You should be able to reload your new computer with it's operating system on the old drive. Te drive that was in your new computer is likely dead

Mully

My mistake. I was using an x64 Win 7 disc for the Win 8 computer which has the old laptop HDD that's not busted within it currently.

I'm going through Win Startup Repair right now. I tried going through without it and it bluescreen after the Windows logo appeared. I wasn't able to see what the blue screen said.

rafbanaan

Hmm, might go sli 780Ti. Will my 650Watt PSU be enough or should I go higher?

Also: what are some good IPS 1440p panels? Since I have a Dell I might want to stick with it.

Icomp

Ok, so I really want a newer PC. I have a friends former i7 2600K lying around that have been given to me and I just saw an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe m-itx for really cheap on an auction (about 20$). It's stated as broken but apparently a few pins are just bent, I guess I could gamble and try to bend them back.

The real question however, would a Silverstone SFX ST45SF-G 450w PSU be enough to power the above stuff plus an SSD, HDD and a R9 280X?

Maybe I'm better off selling the 2600K and spending the money on a new CPU and Motherboard? (Buying a 100% new computer that is)

Yo Gaf, probably a pretty stupid question, but I'm fixin to grab a copy of windows, it'll probably be 8.1, but is there a way to go about purchasing and installing it without a disc drive? Being able to directly download from Microsoft and write it to a USB key would be sweet.

bro1

Banned
My second gtx 780 ti showed up. I accidentally ordered a superclock instead of a classified evga. The clocks are nearly identical. Can I use evga tool to match the clocks?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Yo Gaf, probably a pretty stupid question, but I'm fixin to grab a copy of windows, it'll probably be 8.1, but is there a way to go about purchasing and installing it without a disc drive? Being able to directly download from Microsoft and write it to a USB key would be sweet.

You can do exactly that. Look on reddit at the softwareswap page for a cheap key.

tarheel91

Anyone know of any 3440x1440 benchmarks? Obviously it's a pretty niche resolution but I figured I'd ask. I haven't been able to find anything.

I'll admit I was super bummed last night and early this morning, heading to work.

I had a few good troubleshooting options thanks to some people here and I decided not to be let down.

Before I did, I followed Felix Lighter's advice:

Are you plugged into the dedicated graphics card HDMI output and not the HDMI output on the motherboard?

I was so tired and bummed plus I needed to rest before heading to work that I didn't realized this. So lo and behold when I got home:

yxQHJKO.jpg

Not out of the woods yet as I have to check temperatures and such but I was pretty damn ecstatic to see that screen.

kharma45

I'll admit I was super bummed last night and early this morning, heading to work.

I had a few good troubleshooting options thanks to some people here and I decided not to be let down.

Before I did, I followed Felix Lighter's advice:

I was so tired and bummed plus I needed to rest before heading to work that I didn't realized this. So lo and behold when I got home:

Not out of the woods yet as I have to check temperatures and such but I was pretty damn ecstatic to see that screen.

lol

easy mistake to make ;)

rafbanaan

Im looking at the MSI 780Ti, but it has a clock of 1085 and I'm currently with a stock 780Ti. Should I overclock this one to the same clock speed of the MSI or leave it?

PSU: Could a 750W PSU be enough or should I still go for an 850W?

Last item :p I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM or is there a better option?

Question team,If i have a budget of $150, should I get a soundcard or a usb dac/amp? I would prefer to have better audio quality over gaming quality.

kharma45

Im looking at the MSI 780Ti, but it has a clock of 1085 and I'm currently with a stock 780Ti. Should I overclock this one to the same clock speed of the MSI or leave it?

PSU: Could a 750W PSU be enough or should I still go for an 850W?

Last item :p I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM or is there a better option?

750w is fine for a single one even with an OC.

Try it and see. No guarantee you'll reach those clocks, but there's also every chance you'll exceed them. Silicon lottery.

lord quas

Hi guys, already posted earlier in the thread but I had to lower my budget a bit so I came up with this build:

Cooler Master Silencio 550
600 Watt Cooler Master power supply
Standard cooling
7.1 soundcard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600
500 GB Sata III
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
Intel® Core™ i5 4690K 3.50 Ghz
MSI H81M-E34

Should I get a 700 Watt Cooler Master? Is this a competent system? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to PC's - what kind of games would I be able to play at what settings? Thanks in advance.

Calibus

I have a wireless mouse conundrum:

Currently I have a Logitech M570 trackball but am looking into getting a Logitech G700s. I like leaning back in my chair and using the trackball to navigate onscreen, but if I get the G700s, I feel I might not be able to do that. For anyone who has experience with the G700s or any other wireless optical: do you need a mouse pad or will a part of your body work? Like your leg.

EDIT:
Hi guys, already posted earlier in the thread but I had to lower my budget a bit so I came up with this build:

Standard cooling
7.1 soundcard
500 GB Sata III
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
MSI H81M-E34

Should I get a 700 Watt Cooler Master? Is this a competent system? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to PC's - what kind of games would I be able to play at what settings? Thanks in advance.

750W is a great wattage if you are not overclocking or not bridging multiple graphics cards. As for your proposed build -- that motherboard appears to only support Gen 2 PCIE graphics cards and the R9 270X you have listed appears to be Gen 3 (unless I am reading the specs wrong). Also, watch out for the processor you are putting into it. The i5-4690K uses a revision called "Devil's Canyon" and not all boards support it. In fact, I just looking at this list and it is not supported (the i5-4690 and i5-4690k are two separate chips), so you will have to look for a better motherboard.

kennah

Standard cooling
7.1 soundcard
500 GB Sata III
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB
MSI H81M-E34

Don't get that motherboard. You're wasting your money. The K series chips need a Z series motherboard. If you don't want to pay more for a Z series board (which is fair) then don't pay the extra for a K series chip. You're better off getting a z board with the anniversary Pentium and then upgrading the chip when you outgrow it than having to replace motherboard later.

lord quas

Thanks for the response guys! It's clear that I should replace the motherboard. Will the ASUS B85M-G be good enough? I honestly have no idea where to look, this is the first time I'm putting a PC together.

Edit: according to http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/B85M-G.html it should support the 4690k right? Not sure where to find whether it's a Z series motherboard though

Tapejara

Hey all, quick question:

My newly built computer won't boot to Windows. It doesn't even show the POST screen and I can't get into BIOS. Rather, the monitor displays a black screen. We were able to get it to boot to Windows the other night by removing one of the RAM sticks, but after resetting the PC it's back to not working. Anyhow, we figured out today that none of the USB ports are working, nor the HDMI port on the motherboard. Is it likely that I need to replace the motherboard? I should note that we were able to get into BIOS on Friday, so the USB ports were working at some point during the night.

Calibus

Thanks for the response guys! It's clear that I should replace the motherboard. Will the ASUS B85M-G be good enough? I honestly have no idea where to look, this is the first time I'm putting a PC together.

Edit: according to http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/B85M-G.html it should support the 4690k right? Not sure where to find whether it's a Z series motherboard though

According to that site, as long as you upgrade the BIOS on that board to version 0908 (which requires flashing you BIOS and installing the upgrade file, usually appearing as a .ROM file, with a thumb drive), it should be compatible. I would make sure you read the return/exchange policy of wherever you buy this from first in case it all goes FUBAR (personally found this out the hard way :p )

EDIT:
Hey all, quick question:

My newly built computer won't boot to Windows. It doesn't even show the POST screen and I can't get into BIOS. Rather, the monitor displays a black screen. We were able to get it to boot to Windows the other night by removing one of the RAM sticks, but after resetting the PC it's back to not working. Anyhow, we figured out today that none of the USB ports are working, nor the HDMI port on the motherboard. Is it likely that I need to replace the motherboard? I should note that we were able to get into BIOS on Friday, so the USB ports were working at some point during the night.

What motherboard and CPU are you trying to run?

asdad123

Monetary damage so far.

MSI z97 with GA 25 - 103.97
GTX770 4gb - 285
PC Power & Cooling MKIII 600 watt modular power supply - 39.27
256TH crucial m4 - already had

Just need some ram, a case, and a better cpu cooler and I should be all done. I'll probably pick up a Corsair 300r from microcenter for 45 and am hoping to find a set of 8gb ram for 50ish used. So for under $550, I should have a PC good enough to play some games again lol. I'll upgrade to a beer processor in the future eventually if I need.

lord quas

According to that site, as long as you upgrade the BIOS on that board to version 0908 (which requires flashing you BIOS and installing the upgrade file, usually appearing as a .ROM file, with a thumb drive), it should be compatible. I would make sure you read the return/exchange policy of wherever you buy this from first in case it all goes FUBAR (personally found this out the hard way :p )

That sounds like something I would probably fuck up haha... is the B85-G43 GAMING a safer choice? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Calibus

i7-3770 and an ASUS P8Z77-V LK

According to CPU-Upgrade.com you need BIOS version 0210 to be compatible. If you have that or later and it is still not working, then I would ensure everything is seated correctly and all connectors (especially the two PSU to Motherboard power connectors) are snapped in securely. Rebuild the system from scratch if you have to.

Another step would be to power off and unplug the power supply, remove then replace the CMOS battery, or bridge the CMOS reset pins (refer to your motherboard instruction book on their location) using a plastic jumper plug provided by the motherboard or use a large flat head screw driver and touch it to the pins for about 10-15 seconds (there may be a small LED light that comes on while doing this).

Also, based on your original post, consider that one or more of your RAM sticks might be bad. Try putting them in one by one and booting the system if you have not already.

If all that does not work, then consider returning it as defective.

Someone else more versed in PC troubleshooting may chime in with other suggestions of course.

That sounds like something I would probably fuck up haha... is the B85-G43 GAMING a safer choice? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!

No problem. I did not see that particular motherboard on the compatibility list, so I would say no. Here is the list of known compatible motherboards for the i5-4690K (whether it is current or comprehensive, I am not sure).

lord quas

No problem. I did not see that particular motherboard on the compatibility list, so I would say no. Here is the list of known compatible motherboards for the i5-4690K (whether it is current or comprehensive, I am not sure).

How stupid of me, I was looking at the wrong video card... I guess I'll just have to go with the B85M-G. I decided to have it built for me to minimize the chance of me screwing up anything. Thanks!

Calibus

How stupid of me, I was looking at the wrong video card... I guess I'll just have to go with the B85M-G. I decided to have it built for me to minimize the chance of me screwing up anything. Thanks!

No problem. A word of advice -- before ordering it all, run the new list of components by your builder to make sure he/she does not catch any incompatibility issues. You may also want to mention that he/she needs to update your BIOS to version 0908 or later to get the 4690K to be recognized.

lord quas

No problem. A word of advice -- before ordering it all, run the new list of components by your builder to make sure he/she does not catch any incompatibility issues. You may also want to mention that he/she needs to update your BIOS to version to 0908 or later to get the 4690K to be recognized.

I was just about to send a mail :)

Tapejara

According to CPU-Upgrade.com you need BIOS version 0210 to be compatible. If you have that or later and it is still not working, then I would ensure everything is seated correctly and all connectors (especially the two PSU to Motherboard power connectors) are snapped in securely. Rebuild the system from scratch if you have to.

Another step would be to power off and unplug the power supply, remove then replace the CMOS battery, or bridge the CMOS reset pins (refer to your motherboard instruction book on their location) using a plastic jumper plug provided by the motherboard or use a large flat head screw driver and touch it to the pins for about 10-15 seconds (there may be a small LED light that comes on while doing this).

Also, based on your original post, consider that one or more of your RAM sticks might be bad. Try putting them in one by one and booting the system if you have not already.

If all that does not work, then consider returning it as defective.

Someone else more versed in PC troubleshooting may chime in with other suggestions of course.

I appreciate the suggestions, unfortunately before I try out what you posted the computer just stopped turning on altogether. Oh well, at this point I think I'll just bring it into a shop and have them fix it. Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom