• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*flash forward to Smokey's $3000 receipt for water/geothermal cooling*

I'm waiting for a R-410A(or similar) based phase change setup connected directly to the processors, then the rest of the kit sealed in mineral oil to stop condensation buildup. I'm sure someone's tried it, right?

Smokey

lul

Nah not that much, but I've pretty much reached the end game for me in PC land. Going to shift focus to other things and be content with 6 cores / 3 Titans.

Let the young bucks take over the high end while I watch with a veteran eye from the sideline :p

Yep. Add to that the fact that G-Sync is not currently supported in surround mode, also reduces their value in that configuration.

I read somewhere that it would work, but you have to have 3 GPUs with a monitor hooked into each.

riflen

Probably not. I liked NV Surround, but seems like NV is going away from it. Even for new releases you have to find some workarounds or use Widscreen Fixer . $2,400 for 3 of those could go to a nice and more needed water cooling setup for my system. Not that I'd spend that much on cooling, just saying.

Yep. Add to that the fact that G-Sync is not currently supported in surround mode, also reduces their value in that configuration.

Heh, you beat me to it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
lul

Nah not that much, but I've pretty much reached the end game for me in PC land. Going to shift focus to other things and be content with 6 cores / 3 Titans.

How rough.

;)

mkenyon

Banned
lul

Let the young bucks take over the high end while I watch with a veteran eye from the sideline :p
P'much where I'm at too. I think the only game I even care to run that isn't a low requirement title is Star Citizen. And that already runs like butter.

pixlexic

Banned
So I have two 770 2gigs now. I was thinking of getting a 290x 4gig before dragon age came out since it uses mantle but besides the extra VRAM it's on par with one 770.

I think I should just wait for the 800 series from nvidia before upgrading but was wanting to get some opinions.

mkenyon

Banned
So I have two 770 2gigs now. I was thinking of getting a 290x 4gig before dragon age came out since it uses mantle but besides the extra VRAM it's on par with one 770.

I think I should just wait for the 800 series from nvidia before upgrading but was wanting to get some opinions.
Say what?

c3-99th.gif

bd-99th.gif

grid2-99th.gif

Regarding Mantle though, it's only really helpful if your CPU is crap. Otherwise the gains are just meh.

teiresias

Finally got my upgrade done yesterday:

i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Noctua NH-D14 cooler

Existing:
G.Skill 1333Mhz 4GB x 2 RAM
Asus DirectCU-II OC GTX680

Also took the harddrives out of the cages since they were always so flimsy and put them in a 5.25" bay converter.

5M9rQht.jpg

I think I'm definitely switching cases next time I do a build that requires a motherboard swap. I love the Fortress-2 for its acoustics, but the horrendously tiny amount of space behind the motherboard tray is VERY annoying now that I have more stuff routec back there (hence the SATA cable around front, though to be fair it also wasn't long enough routed around the back).

Gonna have to go through the Windows 8.1 upgrade tonight - fun fun.

teiresias

FT02 is a great case...it's just pretty outdated if you want to do anything beyond a standard build.

I stick to pretty standard builds anyway. Not even sure I'll ever do SLI again, and the issues my dad had with his AIO water-cooler scared me off from anything but air cooling too.

PaulLFC

Unless your SSD has lost a lot of performance from dead cells (check SMART info), probably not. You'll be measuring any improvements to load or boot times at a few seconds, if that.
It'll be nothing like the giant improvement seen by moving from spinning platters to solid-state. Booting cold to Windows in 11 seconds instead of 14 seconds? Who cares?
Will these M.2 SSDs provide much of a boost? (Sorry if those were the ones you were referring to rather than the more 'conventional' style SSDs)

Kinda regretting not getting a better motherboard that had an M.2 slot, but I suppose by the time I'm in need of another SSD it might be time to upgrade anyway.

Kevyt

Have a look at the Crucial MX100, its a bit cheaper than the Samsung.

I would not use Windows to treat the SSD and HDD as one drive, because if one drive fails all the data is lost. In terms of performance, im not sure what will happen if you do this with an SSD and HDD, but sounds like a bad idea to me.

Keep them separate, OS on SSD, games on the HDD. This means Windows feels snappy, put your programs like browser, office etc on the SSD. Games on the SSD, so load times will be as normal, there is no fps gain from having games on an SSD.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely keep them separate.

riflen

Will these M.2 SSDs provide much of a boost? (Sorry if those were the ones you were referring to rather than the more 'conventional' style SSDs)

Kinda regretting not getting a better motherboard that had an M.2 slot, but I suppose by the time I'm in need of another SSD it might be time to upgrade anyway.

Yeah, I was talking about just another SATA 3 SSD. M.2 storage has the potential to be faster. It's not limited by the SATA interface and is essentially flash storage over PCI-E. But having said that, if you have a good SATA SSD, upgrading your motherboard for access to M.2 storage probably isn't worth it for games alone.

jsrv

Does anyone know if NCIX US still provides their express coverage warranty? NCIX Canada still does but I can't find anything on their US branch, like that 0 dead pixel warranty..

asdad123

Whats the cheapest place to pick up a spare PCI modular power cable?

The PSU I went to pick up as microcenter had its box opened, and only had the SATA power cables in it... They knocked it down to $28 plus tax so I took it. Im pretty sure I only need one PCI-6 connector, as it has the permanent cables coming out of it already (24 pin, 4+4pin CPU, and a 6+2 pin PCI-E).

This is the exact PSU Im talking out.

Or should I just return it and buy a new PSU for $60-70?

asdad123

Good luck finding any. Usually the only source is the manufacturer and even then it's usually a whole set.

So theyre not universal? ehhhh then I might take it back. I can get a Corsair HX650 for $70. I only figured that Id pick this up for the $28 and pick up another cable for under $10 hopefully lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just bought a ASUS Direct CuII AMD R9 270 for $110/shipped.

What am I doing? :-/

kennah

So theyre not universal? ehhhh then I might take it back. I can get a Corsair HX650 for $70. I only figured that Id pick this up for the $28 and pick up another cable for under $10 hopefully lol.
No sir. They are not universal. Even similar models in the same brands can have different cables.
Just bought a ASUS Direct CuII AMD R9 270 for $110/shipped.

What am I doing? :-/
The same thing that took my wife years to train me out of doing.

Just built a PC for my friend, seemed to be running fine. He's taken it home and is reporting some strange flickering issues when trying to play certain videos. On Gamersyde for example, using their video player, changing from the 720p version of a trailer to a 1080p version makes the whole screen flicker/go black momentarily. It also messes up the colours a bit (or the entire screen) switching between the two. This happens whether it is Flash or HTML5. Also getting the problem on IGN videos, but YouTube seems fine.

Any ideas?

lem0n

I hope this is a good place to ask this. If I download the drivers for my XB1 controller to work in Steam, will the XB1 controller work in all games that I used my 360 pad on? I can't find my wireless 360 pad receiver so I'm going to go with the XB1 pad now.

PaulLFC

Yeah, I was talking about just another SATA 3 SSD. M.2 storage has the potential to be faster. It's not limited by the SATA interface and is essentially flash storage over PCI-E. But having said that, if you have a good SATA SSD, upgrading your motherboard for access to M.2 storage probably isn't worth it for games alone.
Thanks, the PC will be for playing games the majority of the time, so it's good to hear I'm likely not missing out on too much with M.2 support.

thespot84

I'm sure we've beat the SSD thing to death but I was futzing around with samsung magician and thought I'd leave this here in case anyone were still on the fence:

VQtBERX.png

CmdBash

I bought a used gtx 670 a while back. For warranty purposes is it fine to just have a photocopy of the receipt? or do I need the original receipt?

thespot84

So just put your OS on your SSD, but not your games?

i put some games on, like bf4, and put others on my HDD. Basically a tradeoff between load times and storage. Stuff like indie games doesn't particularly benefit from it, but the AAA texture intensive ones do.

Icomp

Just put an order for some couch gaming glory.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
CPU Cooler: Stock (budget won't really allow anything else as of now.)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB
Video Card: ASUS Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II OC
Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ01
Power Supply: Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W
Storage: Samsung Evo 840 120GB
Optical Drive: None

Cost: ~1000$ (fuck Sweden)

wilflare

umm so my ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 PCI-E 3GB is having artefact issues and it seems like I'm not the only one having issues (based on Google)

should I attempt a RMA? and hope that my next card works fine? (seems like the issue affects the entire card like)
or should I attempt a return with my retailer and opt for a 770 or 780? (maybe even 780Ti?)

I llike AMD cards.. but with this artefact issue and the lack of GameStream and ShadowPlay..

and I suppose Mantle isn't that big a boost yet right? (my CPU is INTEL CORE I5-4570 non K)

Dries

Since a couple of months I've been delving into the world of OC'ing. All has gone well, except that I can't keep this error message from appearing:

Qw4XkMv.jpg

What also happens with this error is that, when I turn my PC on, it will start booting only to shut itself down after +- 3 seconds. Then, on it's own, it restarts again and everything boots normally. Strange behaviour. This doesn't happen all the time.

My OC's are stable. I've done testing with OCCT (1 hour) and Prime95 (10 hours) and it's stable. I google'd this error message and got a lot of hits where the memory frequency was mentioned. Does my memory have something to do with my problem? Here is my memory screen in BIOS:

EpM4ili.jpg

My Mobo supports 1600Mhz, but my CPU can handle only 1066/1333 I see (http://ark.intel.com/products/52210) Don't know if this is the reason of my problems though. My specs are:

i5 2500K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB -1600 MHz
Cooler Master Silent Pro M700

My Mobo supports 1600Mhz, but my CPU can handle only 1066/1333 I see (http://ark.intel.com/products/52210) Don't know if this is the reason of my problems though. My specs are:

i5 2500K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB -1600 MHz
Cooler Master Silent Pro M700

2500k does 1600 memory without any problems - mine have been running ddr3 1600 cl7 for last 3 years :)

Maybe try setting memory timings and voltage manualy in EUFI instead of using auto.

riflen

Even better then, I didn't realise an adapter existed, thanks for pointing it out. I may never need an M.2 SSD but if I do it's nice to know I have the option even with my motherboard not supporting it natively.

M.2 is more of a form factor and is intended as a replacement for mSATA. Yes, it's faster than SATA3 and mSATA, but the size of the unit is intended to be one of its primary features.

No-one should really lose sleep about not having M.2 support on their motherboard, unless they are very space constrained in their case. The straight up NVM PCI-E storage products that will hit the consumer market soon will beat M.2 drives for performance and don't really take up much space.

Dries

2500k does 1600 memory without any problems - mine have been running ddr3 1600 cl7 for last 3 years :)

Maybe try setting memory timings and voltage manualy in EUFI instead of using auto.

That seems like a good idea. So let's see, I'm supposed to toggle the "DRAM Timing Selectable" parameter then? And just set it to whatever "AUTO" is giving me, right?

And should I also set the System Memory Multiplier to 1600 instead of AUTO?

It seems to me I should set both, but I'm just checking to be sure.

MisterM

For the couch gamers:

What keyboard/mouse combo are you using?

I didn't see a reply to this, I use a Logitech K400.

I don't use it to game though, it's a backup for navigating Windows / entering character names / navigating splash screens. X360 controller all the way*.

Or I stream / play on my laptop for stuff like Civ V and CSGO.

Bollocks

Almost bought all the parts to my new pc excluding the graphics card because I thought I can use the onboard one till I buy the real deal.
Turns out new mobo doesn't have onboard graphics, so I can't postpone that purchase ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom