• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just built a PC for my friend, seemed to be running fine. He's taken it home and is reporting some strange flickering issues when trying to play certain videos. On Gamersyde for example, using their video player, changing from the 720p version of a trailer to a 1080p version makes the whole screen flicker/go black momentarily. It also messes up the colours a bit (or the entire screen) switching between the two. This happens whether it is Flash or HTML5. Also getting the problem on IGN videos, but YouTube seems fine.

Any ideas?
Quoting for new page.

ombz

Do refurbed HDDs generally come without SATA cables?
LLShC.gif

Actually, do HDDs even come with SATA cables in the box?
I don't think I've gotten a new hhd with sata cables before. They generally come with the motherboard.

fanboi

Banned
So I got my computer parts, installed, and to my happiness I can use my custom heatsink (but I ran prime95 and got up to 100 c... Saw that it wasn't seated correctly, nos i get 70c).

Thanks GAF!

Furoba

I ve bought parts closely resembling the excellent build from the op.

I think Ill grab some anti-static gloves first before starting.

Btw how can i best set up a dualboot system? Ubuntu and windows8

BladeSinner

Neo Member
So I got my computer parts, installed, and to my happiness I can use my custom heatsink (but I ran prime95 and got up to 100 c... Saw that it wasn't seated correctly, nos i get 70c).

Thanks GAF!

Nice, congrats! What CPU and what is the ambient temperature of the room if you don't mind me asking :)

riflen

Currently have a Corsair HX-650 V2 which I am able to upgrade to a Corsair RM-750 at no cost.

A 780 ti can require just over 20 amps (this is providing you're not using a custom BIOS and removing the power constraints). Your current unit is pretty decent and has a single 12v rail that can provide 54 amps total. This should be enough, although I don't know what else you have in your system. It's only real weakness is just having two PCI-E power connectors.

HX 650 review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX650-Gold-Power-Supply-Review/1705

The RM 750 isn't bad or anything. It'll provide you more connectors and a 12v rail that can manage over 60 amps. The RM 750 is also 3cm longer than the HX 650, which might be important. Basically, it's a judgement call for you.

Full review of RM 750:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM750/

I ve bought parts closely resembling the excellent build from the op.

I think Ill grab some anti-static gloves first before starting.

Btw how can i best set up a dualboot system? Ubuntu and windows8

Ubuntu gives you an option to install alongside your current operating system. I don't like this approach, though. I have a small HDD (2.5 pulled from a dead laptop) that i installed to. (Choose "Do something else when prompted to install) Then select the drive or partition you want to install to.) Since I didn't go with the actual dual boot option, i have to spam F12 on boot to choose that drive when I want Linux. It's great because that means I don't have to wait when booting Windows. It goes straight in without noticing the other drive. (The Linux drive doesn't even show up in Windows Explorer.) Ubuntu, on the other hand, can see both my Windows SSD and my Storage HDD.

riflen

Hey PC-GAF! I got help from you guys building a silent, music-focused desktop PC not too long ago and I'm loving it so far. I was wondering if you guys could help me find a few laptop options? I was hoping for three price points: around $800, $1000 and $1500. Honestly, it doesn't have to be anything super hardware intensive, but my boyfriend's looking to get a new one and I mainly want to make sure he's getting enough bang for his buck. Major concerns are it being a Windows OS, fairly small form factor, and the capacity for some light gaming and media streaming. I'm not planning on pimping it out or replacing anything in it, I just didn't know what the laptop market was like these days.

Laptops are really a whole different thing to desktops. You'll probably get more useful responses in the laptop thread over here.

Perhaps it's obvious in hindsight but I wish I'd known that I needed access to another Windows-based computer to make a Windows boot USB. All my computers are Macs!

nick nacc

Banned
I didn't see a reply to this, I use a Logitech K400.

I don't use it to game though, it's a backup for navigating Windows / entering character names / navigating splash screens. X360 controller all the way*.

Or I stream / play on my laptop for stuff like Civ V and CSGO.

how far are you from your pc? Is it laggy on yours as well? I sit across the living room so like 15-20 ft

Bollocks

Do I need a special PSU for the Corsair 750D case, since it's mounted on the bottom?
I opted for the CS750M as my PSU to go with the GTX 780TI and i7 4930k, that should do it right?

r4z4

I need some advice on a 24" 1080p monitor. I was originally waiting for g-sync but I read somewhere that it would not be worth the extra money for that size/resolution.

Is that true? If so what is the best 24" 1080p monitor out there right now? The ASUS VG248QE?

I have an i5 2500k and a GTX 670 so power-wise I could probably push for a higher size/resolution but don't really have space for anything bigger.

Thanks.

Ban Puncher

A 780 ti can require just over 20 amps (this is providing you're not using a custom BIOS and removing the power constraints). Your current unit is pretty decent and has a single 12v rail that can provide 54 amps total. This should be enough, although I don't know what else you have in your system. It's only real weakness is just having two PCI-E power connectors.

HX 650 review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX650-Gold-Power-Supply-Review/1705

The RM 750 isn't bad or anything. It'll provide you more connectors and a 12v rail that can manage over 60 amps. The RM 750 is also 3cm longer than the HX 650, which might be important. Basically, it's a judgement call for you.

Full review of RM 750:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM750/

Thanks for your help, duder. Just found out I can replace my HX-650 with a Corsair AX-760 for nix so think I'll go ahead with that.

Perhaps it's obvious in hindsight but I wish I'd known that I needed access to another Windows-based computer to make a Windows boot USB. All my computers are Macs!

I went to a local computer repair place and had the same problem. Nice dude, Air Force retiree. I'd just find the most positively-reviewed local repair place and explain your predicament to them.

The Llama

Not true! If you can get your hands on the ISO, you can use the built-in Boot Camp Assistant and it does it perfectly.

Source: I did this myself a few weeks ago.

That seems like a good idea. So let's see, I'm supposed to toggle the "DRAM Timing Selectable" parameter then? And just set it to whatever "AUTO" is giving me, right?

And should I also set the System Memory Multiplier to 1600 instead of AUTO?

It seems to me I should set both, but I'm just checking to be sure.

Yes - but preferably use cpu-z and check memory timmings from SPD in this program.

Also I've read your post more carefully and it seems to be classic cold boot problem - what cpu settings do you have now ? Have you changed BLCK of CPU ? If yes then restore it to default and try to use only multiplier.

I found my busted up Windows 7 laptop this morning and I think I successfully made a boot USB with the MS installer.

If that fails I'll try one of the suggestions above. Thanks!

Azzurri

Gold Member
I tend to avoid anything Rosewill but thats just me. Don't know a lot about their cases, but I imagine their cheap stuff is decent but anything more expensive probably isn't as good as something you could get elsewhere.

Hmm, I was looking at their Legacy w1 case. I think it's made by Cooltek, but Rosewill here in NA.

Sullichin

Recommendations for a modular >=750W PSU? Think I am going to upgrade to a 290x. I have 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs and my i5 is overclocked to 4.2GHz.. I think 750 is the minimum I'll want for this card.

mkenyon

Banned
How good are Rosewill cases?
Depends on the case in specific, some are good, some are serviceable, some are bad. Kind of like most big companies in that regard. I don't have any experience with their Legacy series in specific, but they do look quite nice. Kind of like Cubitek.
I tend to avoid anything Rosewill but thats just me. Don't know a lot about their cases, but I imagine their cheap stuff is decent but anything more expensive probably isn't as good as something you could get elsewhere.
That's silly of you. Rosewill doesn't make much of anything. Their mech keyboards, for example, are basically the same thing as Filcos. Their Hive PSUs are Sirtec OEMs that are pretty good quality too.

They do design some things here and there, and certainly more frequently over the last year, but for the most part, they just slap their brand on all sorts of different stuff as a way of bringing it to market.

The Llama

Depends on the case in specific, some are good, some are serviceable, some are bad. Kind of like most big companies in that regard. I don't have any experience with their Legacy series in specific, but they do look quite nice. Kind of like Cubitek.

That's silly of you. Rosewill doesn't make much of anything. Their mech keyboards, for example, are basically the same thing as Filcos. Their Hive PSUs are Sirtec OEMs that are pretty good quality too.

They do design some things here and there, and certainly more frequently over the last year, but for the most part, they just slap their brand on all sorts of different stuff as a way of bringing it to market.

Maybe they've gotten better over the last few years, but my image of the company is a budget producer of cheap, crappy computer parts. Not really stuff I'd want to buy (but then again I'm not the type to build a cheap computer).

Guys I have a general question about PCIe 3.0 and Crossfire.

Currently I have R9 290x and I use ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA (Yes I know, I was dumb enough to buy parts without consulting anyone here at GAF :( :( ) ....

If I get another R9 290x will both work at PCIe 3.0 16 ? or will be run both at 8x and will I waste power? due to x8 bottleneck ? or whats going on ?

One of my friends said that if I get 2 x R9 290x for cross fire both run at half the speed... so I am confused as I am new to PC gaming... if the PCIe port drops to 8x is that waste the potential of the card ?

mr2xxx

Banned
PC has been randomly restarting with no warning. I was watching netflix and suddenly it started restarting multiple times in a row. I was playing Far Cry 3 before that for an hour and no issues. What can it be? PSU?

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe they've gotten better over the last few years, but my image of the company is a budget producer of cheap, crappy computer parts. Not really stuff I'd want to buy (but then again I'm not the type to build a cheap computer).
That's the thing, they don't really produce anything.

Currently I have R9 290x and I use ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA (Yes I know, I was dumb enough to buy parts without consulting anyone here at GAF :( :( ) ....

If I get another R9 290x will both work at PCIe 3.0 16 ? or will be run both at 8x and will I waste power? due to x8 bottleneck ? or whats going on ?

One of my friends said that if I get 2 x R9 290x for cross fire both run at half the speed... so I am confused as I am new to PC gaming... if the PCIe port drops to 8x is that waste the potential of the card ?
Both will run at 8x. It shouldn't affect performance too much, if at all.

However, since you are new at PC gaming, I'd highly advise steering clear of crossfire unless you need it for your specific display setup. Games will often not work on day 1 in crossfire, and games well past then will continue to have strange issues. If you don't mind spending a bit more time to get things working properly, and feel comfortable in your ability to google and research, then go for it.

Consumer socket CPUs (1156, 1155, 1150) all have 16 total lanes of PCI-E. The motherboards that support more than 16 PCI-E lanes use PLX chips which multiply the PCI-E lanes by constantly switching which is in use. The motherboards you will find these PLX chips on are all the super expensive $350-400 ones.

mkenyon

Banned
Rosewill is a Newegg housebrand. They make some good stuff, I have the Rosewill Capstone-M 750w PSU and it's a good one.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=266
Yeah, I noted their quality above. What I was saying is that it's really hard to judge Rosewill as a brand, because they don't really make anything. They take their name and slap it on all sorts of random OEM stuff.

They do design some of their cases, and have done some extra leg work on the PSUs. The Capstones are Superflower, for example.

It looks like it will run at x16 in one lane, x8 in two, or x8 and 2 x4 lanes with 3. It may bottleneck you but probably not by half. I have no idea of knowing exactly how much it will be affected, however with there being so much communication over the PCIe bus it may be fairly significant. If you're willing to spend another 400+ on a R9 290x you may want to consider selling the board and buying one with propper 2x PCIe x16 support.

What is a good (sub $50 if possible) small vacuum with the appropriate ends and hoses for cleaning electronics/computers?

I know about the duster (DataVac 500) but I'm looking for a small, hand held portable vacuum instead of a duster/blower.

That's the thing, they don't really produce anything.

Both will run at 8x. It shouldn't affect performance too much, if at all.

However, since you are new at PC gaming, I'd highly advise steering clear of crossfire unless you need it for your specific display setup. Games will often not work on day 1 in crossfire, and games well past then will continue to have strange issues. If you don't mind spending a bit more time to get things working properly, and feel comfortable in your ability to google and research, then go for it.

Consumer socket CPUs (1156, 1155, 1150) all have 16 total lanes of PCI-E. The motherboards that support more than 16 PCI-E lanes use PLX chips which multiply the PCI-E lanes by constantly switching which is in use. The motherboards you will find these PLX chips on are all the super expensive $350-400 ones.

WOW, thanks for the explanation !

mkenyon

Banned
It looks like it will run at x16 in one lane, x8 in two, or x8 and 2 x4 lanes with 3. It may bottleneck you but probably not by half. I have no idea of knowing exactly how much it will be affected, however with there being so much communication over the PCIe bus it may be fairly significant. If you're willing to spend another 400+ on a R9 290x you may want to consider selling the board and buying one with propper 2x PCIe x16 support.
There's already been a number of benches done. It's negligible.
WOW, thanks for the explanation !
NP
1TB 850 pro ssd worth it?
Not if it's more than a Crucial/Samsung Evo/somethingelse.

wilflare

umm so my ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 PCI-E 3GB is having artefact issues and it seems like I'm not the only one having issues (based on Google)

should I attempt a RMA? and hope that my next card works fine? (seems like the issue affects the entire card like)
or should I attempt a return with my retailer and opt for a 770 or 780? (maybe even 780Ti?)

I llike AMD cards.. but with this artefact issue and the lack of GameStream and ShadowPlay..

and I suppose Mantle isn't that big a boost yet right? (my CPU is INTEL CORE I5-4570 non K)

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom