• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I'd opt for different fans for a dual GPU setup in that case. Something with decent static pressure to get the air through the filters and whatnot.

CM JetFlos on the high end, Arctic Cooling F12s on the less expensive end. There's tons more, but I go with what I know :p

McBryBry

Yeah, I'd opt for different fans for a dual GPU setup in that case. Something with decent static pressure to get the air through the filters and whatnot.

CM JetFlos on the high end, Arctic Cooling F12s on the less expensive end. There's tons more, but I go with what I know :p

I'll make sure to look into them a little more in the future, thanks! One thing I did notice though, are the JetFlos loud at all?

Edit:
770GTX or a 280X?

I neeeeeed to know.

If what this thread has taught me is right, I believe the 280X is your best option.

Wulfegang

Better gaming CPU than the 4770K/4790K? What.

Sorry I should have phrased that better. I meant holding off until some of the newer chips are available later this year. The more I think about it though it's hard to tell when those will actually be available to the general public knowing how Intel likes to delay things.

Is there any way to verify that Crossfire is active and working as intended? I'm playing Skyrim for the first time since installing my second card, and with no mods, I'm still dipping below 60FPS with everything cranked. It boggles my mind, because I had an almost locked 60 with mods a year or two ago, when I was only on one of these cards. It's twin 7970 GEs, so it's not for want of power.

I'm running 14.4 currently. Am I doing something wrong, or missing something? Crossfire is enabled in CCC.

finally got my 290x back from an unsuccessful RMA and still trying to get this thing stable. I think it's related to 2D clock speeds being low. I'm able to run Witcher 2 and Divinity on ultra...but can't scroll on the desktop without flickering.

So...how do I raise or prevent the card from downclocking so much? I tried editing the .xml file and setting to read-only, but it was overwritten upon restart.

edit : was FINALLY able to fix this after upping the voltage +13 is Afterburner. Guess it was a little low?

Is there any way to verify that Crossfire is active and working as intended? I'm playing Skyrim for the first time since installing my second card, and with no mods, I'm still dipping below 60FPS with everything cranked. It boggles my mind, because I had an almost locked 60 with mods a year or two ago, when I was only on one of these cards. It's twin 7970 GEs, so it's not for want of power.

I'm running 14.4 currently. Am I doing something wrong, or missing something? Crossfire is enabled in CCC.

Skyrim is super CPU-bound. What kind of CPU do you have?

Calibus

If I was building a machine that was just a dedicated gaming machine with little other application, would an AMD CPU be more ideal over Intel?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have tried using a bluetooth mic, testing mic shows it works but I don't see a chat icon and other peoples voices still come though my TV in game =/

The Llama

About 7-10 years ago is when I heard it. Obviously technology changes, but I figured both Intel and AMD remained more competitive than that. I guess Intel took the edge.

That'd make sense then, since that was when Athlon 64's outperformed Pentium 4's. But now there's basically no reason to go AMD.

I got a three digit FPS in Vanilla Skyrim with a 7950 and 3570K. Maybe try rolling back drivers in case something changed?
No idea what I'd rollback to, since I'm not sure what I was running before.

I went up to 14.7RC and now my GPU seems to be intermittantly dropping to 0% activity. Not sure if it's an issue with the performance monitoring tool I was using, as I didn't see any visual issues, but it's certainly worrying:

Before (Running 14.4):
X1Ez305.jpg

After (Running 14.7RC):
oL7VKCO.jpg

Tried a couple days ago with no responses figured on more shot was worth it

Not sure if there is a better thread for this but does anyone have any experience with the ASUS Vivopc line. I was looking at a VM60 to be a steambox. Any thoughts? Or should I just stick with building my own?

mr2xxx

Banned
Any reason to avoid the EVGA 650w NexG1, 10 year warranty is mighty enticing since my current PSU seems like its on the fritz.

Posted this in the Korean Monitor thread but didn't get much help...anyone? I really don't know anything about voltages and because its' a weird korean monitor I'm hesitant in buying blindly

Anyone have any experience changing out the power brick for their monitor?

I don't know what to buy, but I'm pretty sure mine is fucked up

My old one is
Input: 110-240V 1.5A
Output: 24V - 5A

I tried taking my brick to Radio Shack but they couldn't help me

I'm getting these two fun errors on my system

My MB has switches where I can individually shut off the PCIe lanes and its been a big help here. Instead of taking each card out I can move the 4 switches in any combination to try the cards.

With that said I've used display driver uninstaller and have moved between the latest whql and beta drivers. Still get a hard freeze in BF4 with one of the above messages.

I've tried single, double, and triple cards in various combinations and it doesn't matter. I've tried upping the voltage in Precison X. Doesn't matter. Tried a Heaven run earlier with only one card active and it didn't finish. Screen started flickering and I got the second error message above. Then it said heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware.

Wtf

This is trying me...

Only other thing I could think of is PSU...but its 1300w and I'm not getting a PC shutdown when it locks up like I did in my previous setup. And those are specifically NVIDIA errors.

Trouble always finds me :l

I'm getting that same error when playing WOW with a EVGA 780 Ti Classified. I've tried using driver sweeper and deleting the WOW WTF folder. I've even rolled back drivers before doing a clean install. I need to test it in more games. WOW flickers and the driver crashes and I get "Wow-64 has been blocked etc." You using Windows 8.1? I wonder if it's a 8.1 issue.

I'm currently using Asrock A-Tuning to to take my 4670k from 3.4 ghz to 4.2ghz.

Any tips.

I'm kinda shocked I can up the ghz by 0.8 and still lower the voltage :S

If you're willing to pay 770 prices and are even considering AMD... You might as well go 290.

I'm shocked anyone wouldnt save money for an extra week and just get an AMD 290, they max games like Dayz at maximum settings and cost sweet f all.

Save the extra money and get a 290.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tried a couple days ago with no responses figured on more shot was worth it

Not sure if there is a better thread for this but does anyone have any experience with the ASUS Vivopc line. I was looking at a VM60 to be a steambox. Any thoughts? Or should I just stick with building my own?
Go with a Raven case in the OP so you can actually have graphics.
Any reason to avoid the EVGA 650w NexG1, 10 year warranty is mighty enticing since my current PSU seems like its on the fritz.
They are good buys when on sale.

rafbanaan

Ive an 3570k. What are the best settings for an overclock to 4Ghz (or more). Last time I was overclocking was with the I5 750 :p Even not with the fancy bios, so Im a bit lost.

Could do best of both worlds with that budget still.

Get a BenQ XL2411Z (120/144Hz strobing goodness), and then something like the Nixeus Vue 27" 1440p which is a PLS (IPS style). $700 for both.

Speaking of the XL2411Z , I see Tiger Direct has the same monitor for $229.99. I was debating whether to get that or the Asus VG248QE for my recently built PC. Kind of sucks the BenQ doesn't come with built-in speakers since I don't have the kind of money to buy a good set of speakers along with the monitor. Also the NVIDIA features will be useless to me since I have a R9 290.

Al13n

Neo Member
I currently own a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and I now am in the process of upgrading my rig. Back in the day when I just bought the SSD, people would say I should not install game on it, because it would actually slow them, is this true? If not, I'm inclined to replace my current SSD with a bigger one.

Are the new ones faster than my M4? I also heard someone say there was a new generation of SSDs coming that everybody should wait for. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone? :/

On that note, quick check: is there anywhere near enough of a difference in performance to justify dropping the extra $20 on a 250GB 840 EVO over a 256GB MX100?

nath999

Anyone have any experience with a BenQ XL2720Z? I'm looking for a larger monitor with reduced motion blur for mostly console gaming but some minor PC gaming as well.

PaulLFC

On that note, quick check: is there anywhere near enough of a difference in performance to justify dropping the extra $20 on a 250GB 840 EVO over a 256GB MX100?
Doesn't seem to be looking at the AnandTech Bench scores.

You understand correctly. The temp would just climb until the GPU was forced to lower its clock speed and voltage to maintain sensible temperatures (and crippling performance at the same time). Must be a mistake on Scan's part.
Thanks, good to know the GPU would still adjust things to try and maintain good temperatures despite the locked fan speed - I did try playing a round of Next Car Game before changing the profile and didn't notice any adverse effects. It seems to be properly set up on Auto now though and sitting happily at 34% while idle with only Steam downloads running.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doesn't seem to be looking at the AnandTech Bench scores.

Thanks, good to know the GPU would still adjust things to try and maintain good temperatures despite the locked fan speed - I did try playing a round of Next Car Game before changing the profile and didn't notice any adverse effects. It seems to be properly set up on Auto now though and sitting happily at 34% while idle with only Steam downloads running.

Play something graphically intensive and log the fan speeds, see if it ever goes over 65%. It might not, and it was set like that to avoid ramping up and down. Sometimes you might prefer a constant fan speed. Auto sounds quieter though so no reason not to keep that - just suggesting fixed might not automatically be bad

Bollocks

Yes you can but you will lose a bit of performance.

ok, at least it'll work, would rather put in 2x8GB than 4x4GB at first.
anyway here's my planned setup (with 32GB ram):

Kingston Beast series XMP KHX24C11T3K4/32X 32GB
Corsair RM Series 850Watt
Corsair Hydro Series H110
Samsung MZ-7TE500BW Serie 840 EVO 500GB
Corsair CC-9011035-WW Obsidian Serie 750D
Asus X79-DELUXE Mainboard
Intel Core i7-4930K

Pending gpu, most likely 780TI
PSU is sufficient for this rig?

e: might switch mobo to asus rampage iv, it's more expensive but since my case is open window and that mobo looks better (all black) instead of the gold x79 deluxe, but that's just my personal style preference
both seem to support my cpu out of the box so that's good as I've never built a pc myself let alone upgraded the bios

riflen

I'm getting these two fun errors on my system

My MB has switches where I can individually shut off the PCIe lanes and its been a big help here. Instead of taking each card out I can move the 4 switches in any combination to try the cards.

With that said I've used display driver uninstaller and have moved between the latest whql and beta drivers. Still get a hard freeze in BF4 with one of the above messages.

I've tried single, double, and triple cards in various combinations and it doesn't matter. I've tried upping the voltage in Precison X. Doesn't matter. Tried a Heaven run earlier with only one card active and it didn't finish. Screen started flickering and I got the second error message above. Then it said heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware.

Wtf

This is trying me...

Only other thing I could think of is PSU...but its 1300w and I'm not getting a PC shutdown when it locks up like I did in my previous setup. And those are specifically NVIDIA errors.

Trouble always finds me :l

Have you tried disabling PCI-E link state power management?

FLJEZEZG43EG246.MEDIUM.jpg

ok, at least it'll work, would rather put in 2x8GB than 4x4GB at first.
anyway here's my planned setup (with 32GB ram):

Kingston Beast series XMP KHX24C11T3K4/32X 32GB
Corsair RM Series 850Watt
Corsair Hydro Series H110
Samsung MZ-7TE500BW Serie 840 EVO 500GB
Corsair CC-9011035-WW Obsidian Serie 750D
Asus X79-DELUXE Mainboard
Intel Core i7-4930K

Pending gpu, most likely 780TI
PSU is sufficient for this rig?

e: might switch mobo to asus rampage iv, it's more expensive but since my case is open window and that mobo looks better (all black) instead of the gold x79 deluxe, but that's just my personal style preference
both seem to support my cpu out of the box so that's good as I've never built a pc myself let alone upgraded the bios

The successor to X79 is going to be out by the end of the year, it might be worth waiting since if rumors hold true the entry level CPU will be a 6-Core Haswell-based part.

danthefan

So GAF I'm looking for a second opinion. I bought an overclocked bundle from overclockers.co.uk a few years ago, it's no longer on sale so I can't link to it, but it consists of a mobo, an overclocked CPU and memory. It works great but it only has 4GB RAM which I would like to upgrade. I can remember when I bought it being advised not to change the RAM as it could interfere with the overclock. I contacted their support to ask about this and was told as long as I didn't mix and match with the RAM I should be able to change it no problem (so either buy more of the exact same type or replace it all).

So I'm just wondering if anyone has changed the RAM in one of these bundles before or would be able to advise on the issue?

Seanspeed

Banned
So GAF I'm looking for a second opinion. I bought an overclocked bundle from overclockers.co.uk a few years ago, it's no longer on sale so I can't link to it, but it consists of a mobo, an overclocked CPU and memory. It works great but it only has 4GB RAM which I would like to upgrade. I can remember when I bought it being advised not to change the RAM as it could interfere with the overclock. I contacted their support to ask about this and was told as long as I didn't mix and match with the RAM I should be able to change it no problem (so either buy more of the exact same type or replace it all).

So I'm just wondering if anyone has changed the RAM in one of these bundles before or would be able to advise on the issue?
Like they said, either get more of the same RAM or replace it all with new RAM.

Not mixing and matching is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom