• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it will run at x16 in one lane, x8 in two, or x8 and 2 x4 lanes with 3. It may bottleneck you but probably not by half. I have no idea of knowing exactly how much it will be affected, however with there being so much communication over the PCIe bus it may be fairly significant. If you're willing to spend another 400+ on a R9 290x you may want to consider selling the board and buying one with propper 2x PCIe x16 support.

Thanks, dam even though expensive ..PC gaming is awesome.

Since i have had my PC set up in the last month I been treating it like my baby.

Corsair 600T is like my high school car... I am trying to pimp it out!

One more question for the experts,

why are Motherboard manufacturers not making SLI/DUAL CPU boards ? get another processors in the same motherboard seems ideal however is it due to money ?

or a stupid question ?

Wulfegang

Here is my current setup and feel like I am getting really bad performance for the hardware I have. What would be a good benchmark to use to see if it's just my imagination and if not, where the problem might be?

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell OC'd 4.2GHz Quad-Core
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Intel Z87
  • Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80PLUS Platinum 1000W
  • Case: NZXT H630 Matte Black Ultra Tower Silent Case
  • Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance
  • HDD 1: Intel 530 Series 2.5" 180GB SATA III
  • HDD 2: Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
  • HDD 3: Seagate 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
  • Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Mouse
  • Display: Dell 23" 2312HM IPS Flat Panel
  • Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless

mkenyon

Banned
any thoughts?
AMD has its own Shadowplay thingie now, and it works pretty well.

The artifacts are either related to VRM/Memory getting too hot, or not enough voltage. If you don't want to RMA, try either scaling back memory, increasing memory voltage, or increasing fan speed.

why are Motherboard manufacturers not making SLI/DUAL CPU boards ? get another processors in the same motherboard seems ideal however is it due to money ?

or a stupid question ?
They do, they're just for Xeons.

EVGA-SR-X-2.jpg

nEO_IMG_ws_1.jpg

Intel has basically three "main" products per major release. Consumer socket (1150), which has dual channel memory, some overclockable CPUs, and things like on-die GPUs. Enthusiast socket (2011), which has quad channel memory, overclockable CPUs, 40 PCI-E lanes, and six-core parts. Then there's the Server socket (2011 variant) which supports Xeons and all sorts of stuff that I don't know about.

In jargon terms, you'd see it listed as Haswell (consumer), Haswell-E (enthusiast), and Haswell-EP (server).

There's no benefit in gaming for dual CPUs though.
Here is my current setup and feel like I am getting really bad performance for the hardware I have. What would be a good benchmark to use to see if it's just my imagination and if not, where the problem might be?

Firestrike.

LilJoka

or a stupid question ?

For multi CPU setups (for Intel atleast) you need to use the Xeon series CPUs because they have dual QPI Links so the CPUs can talk to each other. And since gaming is not bottlnecked by CPUs on mos games, and games that do like CPU horsepower tend to be single threaded games, so multi CPUs wouldnt help. And just like SLI/Xfire GPUs you need the program to be able to take advantage of the multiple CPUs. If devs can barely be bothered to utilise 4 cores, why would they start using 20 cores all of a sudden? Next up is cost, motherboard costs and the Xeon tax are high, its not worth it for the performance gained. You can use Server boards for multi CPU & GPU setups, but its expensive. Basically the dual CPU market doesnt appeal to desktop users, just server users where the expandability can be taken advantage of.

Unigene Valley benchmark is quick and easy.

mkenyon

Banned
And don't forget you can't even OC Xeons anymore. The SR-2 is still sought after for this reason.
Unigene Valley benchmark is quick and easy.
Yeah, this too, I am just far less familiar with how the scores lay out as I don't run it myself all that often.

Al13n

Neo Member
I currently own a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and I now am in the process of upgrading my rig. Back in the day when I just bought the SSD, people would say I should not install game on it, because it would actually slow them, is this true? If not, I'm inclined to replace my current SSD with a bigger one.

Are the new ones faster than my M4? I also heard someone say there was a new generation of SSDs coming that everybody should wait for. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks in advance!

wilflare

Yeah, that definitely sounds like its defective.

AMD has its own Shadowplay thingie now, and it works pretty well.

The artifacts are either related to VRM/Memory getting too hot, or not enough voltage. If you don't want to RMA, try either scaling back memory, increasing memory voltage, or increasing fan speed.

now the fan has a horrible whine/ringing sound (like a screw is coming loose) when the fan is at 100% T_T

Wulfegang

Here are my results from Firestrike and Unigene Valley.
DDV1SyB.jpg
wdsxKwC.png

Azzurri

Gold Member
Yeah, I noted their quality above. What I was saying is that it's really hard to judge Rosewill as a brand, because they don't really make anything. They take their name and slap it on all sorts of random OEM stuff.

They do design some of their cases, and have done some extra leg work on the PSUs. The Capstones are Superflower, for example.

I see. It's a cooltek made case.

Wulfegang

Yeah, that's right on the money.

Having second thoughts on the CaseLabs? :p

Ok, thank you very much. I plan on upgrading my GPU to an Nvidia 800 series later this when (if) they are announced. I am still kicking myself for not going with a better gaming CPU instead of the cheaper i7-4770k but it does well enough. Thanks again for a great community and the support/advice.

tarheel91

Assuming rumors are true about Haswell-E and the only difference between the two lower SKUs is PCI-E lanes, could I save some money going with the lower end CPU and pairing it with a motherboard with a controller that supports 2x16, or would it be a wash?

Smokey

I'm getting these two fun errors on my system

Ev said:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

and

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

My MB has switches where I can individually shut off the PCIe lanes and its been a big help here. Instead of taking each card out I can move the 4 switches in any combination to try the cards.

With that said I've used display driver uninstaller and have moved between the latest whql and beta drivers. Still get a hard freeze in BF4 with one of the above messages.

I've tried single, double, and triple cards in various combinations and it doesn't matter. I've tried upping the voltage in Precison X. Doesn't matter. Tried a Heaven run earlier with only one card active and it didn't finish. Screen started flickering and I got the second error message above. Then it said heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware.

Wtf

This is trying me...

Only other thing I could think of is PSU...but its 1300w and I'm not getting a PC shutdown when it locks up like I did in my previous setup. And those are specifically NVIDIA errors.

Trouble always finds me :l

Addnan

Ok, thank you very much. I plan on upgrading my GPU to an Nvidia 800 series later this when (if) they are announced. I am still kicking myself for not going with a better gaming CPU instead of the cheaper i7-4770k but it does well enough. Thanks again for a great community and the support/advice.
There is no better CPU than the 4770K, not consumer level anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
Assuming rumors are true about Haswell-E and the only difference between the two lower SKUs is PCI-E lanes, could I save some money going with the lower end CPU and pairing it with a motherboard with a controller that supports 2x16, or would it be a wash?
Wanna make sure I'm getting what you're saying.

Price difference between $300-350 Haswell-E CPU + mobo versus 4790K + PLX mobo?

I think the least expensive Z97 board with a PLX chip is the ASUS Z97-WS, which is a great board. The big question mark is the price of DDR4 versus DDR3.

If you're asking about getting a cheap motherboard for Haswell-E, I'd imagine they will probably start at around $225-250 for the basic ones, which will support x16/x16/x8 out of the box, because that's what the chips do.

*edit*

And to clarify, the PCI-E controller is on die. If a board supported x16/x16/x8 for Haswell-E, all that means is that the PCI-E traces are on the board. I don't think they'll go out of their way to make a board with less traces for the ~$350 SKU.

asdad123

Whats the cheapest place to pick up a spare PCI modular power cable?

The PSU I went to pick up as microcenter had its box opened, and only had the SATA power cables in it... They knocked it down to $28 plus tax so I took it. Im pretty sure I only need one PCI-6 connector, as it has the permanent cables coming out of it already (24 pin, 4+4pin CPU, and a 6+2 pin PCI-E).

This is the exact PSU Im talking out.

Or should I just return it and buy a new PSU for $60-70?

Guess I'll be keeping this. PC Power and Cooling support is awesome. All I did was send them an email asking if I could purchase a set of cables and ask how much they were, and they replied to me saying they're mailing me out a whole set for free.

PaulLFC

M.2 is more of a form factor and is intended as a replacement for mSATA. Yes, it's faster than SATA3 and mSATA, but the size of the unit is intended to be one of its primary features.

No-one should really lose sleep about not having M.2 support on their motherboard, unless they are very space constrained in their case. The straight up NVM PCI-E storage products that will hit the consumer market soon will beat M.2 drives for performance and don't really take up much space.
Ah well that's good to hear, plenty of case space left so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info!

Edit: My system from Scan was delivered today and so far all seems well, finally finishing setup and installing stuff. The one thing that has me slightly puzzled is this in MSI Afterburner:

UzTmeQQ.png

The card (MSI GTX 780) was pre-overclocked, but should the fan speed be set manually like that rather than on Auto? What happens if I'm playing a particularly demanding game and the card for some reason needs over 65% fan speed to keep cool? Will it increase automatically, or should I get rid of that manual fan speed setting and set it to Auto?

Sky Chief

Thanks, dam even though expensive ..PC gaming is awesome.

Since i have had my PC set up in the last month I been treating it like my baby.

Corsair 600T is like my high school car... I am trying to pimp it out!

Haha, I just built my first gaming PC in about eight years three months ago. I am so happy with it (not just performance but everything about how the build turned out - the way it looks, cable management, how quiet it is) and already have a huge selection of awesome games thanks to the summer sales but I already want to build a new one!

I am going to try my best to hold off until next year at the earliest but I really just want to go all out, money is no object, crazy, awesome, totally custom gaming PC. Lol, this is so addicting!

tarheel91

Wanna make sure I'm getting what you're saying.

Price difference between $300-350 Haswell-E CPU + mobo versus 4790K + PLX mobo?

I think the least expensive Z97 board with a PLX chip is the ASUS Z97-WS, which is a great board. The big question mark is the price of DDR4 versus DDR3.

If you're asking about getting a cheap motherboard for Haswell-E, I'd imagine they will probably start at around $225-250 for the basic ones, which will support x16/x16/x8 out of the box, because that's what the chips do.

*edit*

And to clarify, the PCI-E controller is on die. If a board supported x16/x16/x8 for Haswell-E, all that means is that the PCI-E traces are on the board. I don't think they'll go out of their way to make a board with less traces for the ~$350 SKU.

An X99 board with a PLX chip is what I was thinking. Basically, a way to run 2x16 with the $350 SKU.

Dries

Might as well post here too; concerning downsampling:

I find this interesting. Still want to know:

1. To all people that apply downsampling: Do you use it in all of your games?

2. Is it better to have no "normal ingame" AA options enabled, while still downsampling to the max? Or is it better that all of the ingame AA is maxed out first and then AFTER that see how far you can downsample?

3. Will this make my GPU run hotter? Basically, is it dangerous for any part of my PC?

4. Would OC'ing my GPU be beneficial?

5. How does downsampling rate in the "OCD forever tweaking" field? Can you basically tweak endlessy forever to get it running at an acceptable fps or are there just hard boundaries where either you can make it fps-wise, or you just can't.

6. Do you apply one resolution for all of your games or does every game have their own custom resolution?

7. Would it be that by downsampling The Witcher 2 I could get it to look better than The Witcher 3 (theoretically wise)?

8. Could you downsample a game like The Witcher 3 at launch or would that just melt our computer?

Tablo

Better gaming CPU than the 4770K/4790K? What.

Rufus

Might as well post here too; concerning downsampling:

I find this interesting. Still want to know:

1. To all people that apply downsampling: Do you use it in all of your games?

2. Is it better to have no "normal ingame" AA options enabled, while still downsampling to the max? Or is it better that all of the ingame AA is maxed out first and then AFTER that see how far you can downsample?

3. Will this make my GPU run hotter? Basically, is it dangerous for any part of my PC?

4. Would OC'ing my GPU be beneficial?

5. How does downsampling rate in the "OCD forever tweaking" field? Can you basically tweak endlessy forever to get it running at an acceptable fps or are there just hard boundaries where either you can make it fps-wise, or you just can't.

6. Do you apply one resolution for all of your games or does every game have their own custom resolution?

7. Would it be that by downsampling The Witcher 2 I could get it to look better than The Witcher 3 (theoretically wise)?

8. Could you downsample a game like The Witcher 3 at launch or would that just melt our computer?

First of all its not magic. So keeping that in mind...

1. I'm fine with MSAA, but I'm sure some can't live without it (and I use an AMD card where it's not as easy/impossible, so...)
2. You might be satisfied with downsampling alone. Try it out.
3. Everything that taxes your GPU more will make it run hotter, so yes. Will it blow up? No. It's a common option that doesn't override any of the built in safety features of your hardware, such as downclocking or even turning themselves off because of thermal issues.
4. OC'ing your GPU is always beneficial for GPU heavy tasks, yes.
5. Different games tax your GPU differently, so you'd have to apply different degress of downsampling to get them to run at acceptable framerates. The rest depends on how much time you feel like wasting.
6. See above. Ideally/usually it's a multiple of your monitor's native resolution, so there's a baseline at least.
7. No. Downsampling is for IQ only. Reducing jaggies and moiré effects won't suddenly give you better shaders or more detailed models and geometry or higher resolution textures.
8. I'm sure Smokey's setup (Tri-SLI 780Ti or Titan Black, I forget. Insanity, either way.) could effortlessly tinker with downsampling but until the game's out we won't know who else can too.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I was looking at their Legacy w1 case. I think it's made by Cooltek, but Rosewill here in NA.

Jonsbo is the OEM of the Legacy W1. Cooltek and Rosewill are the official distributors of Jonsbo cases in Europe and the US, respectively.

Jonsbo is also the OEM for Fractal Design's Define and Nanoxia's Deep Silence range.

mkenyon

Banned
Lol, I don't know if I want to spend 100 more.
Here's Bill Owen's review on the W1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwSEXVJlw0&list=UUcnCXoB2dRjaTKkcd3l517Q

But dude. If you're ploppin down the money on a 295x2, I know you'll enjoy the CaseLabs S3.
An X99 board with a PLX chip is what I was thinking. Basically, a way to run 2x16 with the $350 SKU.
Those will probably be $450-500. Though, I wouldn't really worry about full bandwidth on PCI-E 3.0 for a bit.

VR9BDb0.png

Hey guys, my PC score on 3DMark is following;

FIRE STRIKE EXTREME
Add to compare
GRAPHICS DRIVER IS NOT APPROVED
SCORE 4811 with AMD Radeon R9 290X(1x) and Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics Score 5020
Physics Score 12166
Combined Score 2169

is that good ? The only thing I notice is that it reports RAM running at

GENERAL
Operating system 64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)
Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
Memory 16,384 MB
Module 1 8,192 MB G.Skill DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 2 8,192 MB G.Skill DDR3 @ 667 MHz

Hard drive model 2,000 GB WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 ATA Device

The Rams should be running @ 2400 Mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3554039?

mkenyon

Banned
You need to manually set the speed of RAM. If you buy 2400MHz RAM, that just means it's binned to be able to run at that speed. The memory controller is on the processor. Anything over 1333 (default speed) is technically an overclock. Enable XMP Profile.

Right now it's running at 1333 (667x2 = 1333)

Run the non-extreme version of Firestrike. There's probably a website out there that runs extreme, but I'm not familiar with it.

riflen

Ah well that's good to hear, plenty of case space left so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info!

Edit: My system from Scan was delivered today and so far all seems well, finally finishing setup and installing stuff. The one thing that has me slightly puzzled is this in MSI Afterburner:

UzTmeQQ.png

The card (MSI GTX 780) was pre-overclocked, but should the fan speed be set manually like that rather than on Auto? What happens if I'm playing a particularly demanding game and the card for some reason needs over 65% fan speed to keep cool? Will it increase automatically, or should I get rid of that manual fan speed setting and set it to Auto?

This is weird. It doesn't look like they've set a custom fan profile either. Can you check this page?

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/01.htm

Geoff9920

•Your Current Specs: i7 860 / 8GB / Asus P7P55D-E / EVGA GTX 780 3GB ACX SC / Silverstone ST75FP PSU / 500 GB HDD
•Budget: $1800 - US
•Main Use: 5 - Gaming / 2 - General Use
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p, but I plan on upgrading to a 1440p monitor sometime down the road. Just not now.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Witcher 3 (Surprise!), 60fps, PhsyX is a "nice to have" but not a major priority
•Looking to reuse any parts?: I'll be reusing the GTX 780. Everything else will stay in the current PC for light use sometime down the road.
•When will you build?: No deadline, but soonish.
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WymFbv

CPU: - i7 4790k
Cooler: Corsair H105
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: Samsung 840 500GB SSD / WD Black 3 TB HDD
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX
PSU: Corsair AX760 (What's the difference between this and the 760i?)
GPU: Using my existing GTX 780

Thoughts? Kind of curious if the cpu cooler will fit in the case. Since I'm not planning on getting a GPU I budgeted a little more in other areas than I normally would have.

tarheel91

Here's Bill Owen's review on the W1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwSEXVJlw0&list=UUcnCXoB2dRjaTKkcd3l517Q

But dude. If you're ploppin down the money on a 295x2, I know you'll enjoy the CaseLabs S3.

Those will probably be $450-500. Though, I wouldn't really worry about full bandwidth on PCI-E 3.0 for a bit.

VR9BDb0.png

My worry is that with HBM (supposedly available now) and other incoming technologies, I'll have to worry about it before I replace this CPU in 2-4 years.

Sounds like I should just go with the $500 SKU and a cheaper motherboard though. I'll bet there's some binning going on to that might allow for better overclocks.

mkenyon

Banned
•Your Current Specs: i7 860 / 8GB / Asus P7P55D-E / EVGA GTX 780 3GB ACX SC / Silverstone ST75FP PSU / 500 GB HDD
•Budget: $1800 - US
•Main Use: 5 - Gaming / 2 - General Use
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p, but I plan on upgrading to a 1440p monitor sometime down the road. Just not now.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Witcher 3 (Surprise!), 60fps, PhsyX is a "nice to have" but not a major priority
•Looking to reuse any parts?: I'll be reusing the GTX 780. Everything else will stay in the current PC for light use sometime down the road.
•When will you build?: No deadline, but soonish.
•Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BBK2WZ/

CPU: - i7 4790k
Cooler: Corsair H105
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: Samsung 840 500GB SSD / WD Black 3 TB HDD
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX
PSU: Corsair AX760 (What's the difference between this and the 760i?)
GPU: Using my existing GTX 780

Thoughts? Kind of curious if the cpu cooler will fit in the case. Since I'm not planning on getting a GPU I budgeted a little more in other areas than I normally would have.
You could cut the fat in this build and pay for a 1440p monitor. The PC Partpicker link is broken, but here's something similar:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($212.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1136.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

$700 gets you within spitting distance of the RoG Swift for G-Sync 144Hz 1440p goodness.
My worry is that with HBM (supposedly available now) and other incoming technologies, I'll have to worry about it before I replace this CPU in 2-4 years.

Sounds like I should just go with the $500 SKU and a cheaper motherboard though. I'll bet there's some binning going on to that might allow for better overclocks.
Gotcha.

My best advice for now would be to wait and see then. Perhaps those earlier rumors are totally untrue.

PaulLFC

This is weird. It doesn't look like they've set a custom fan profile either. Can you check this page?

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/01.htm
Hmm, going to that page, the "Enable user defined automatic software fan control" box is unchecked, so there's no graph underneath.

With it being unchecked, does that mean their setting of 65% isn't being used anyway? Edit: Nope. Just checked by adding the fan speed monitoring to the system tray, and it's running at a constant 65%. Very strange. Extremely quiet for 65% though!

The full Afterburner settings panel looks like this, if it's any help:

EqAcyDe.png

Geoff9920

You could cut the fat in this build and pay for a 1440p monitor. The PC Partpicker link is broken, but here's something similar:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($212.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1136.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

$700 gets you within spitting distance of the RoG Swift for G-Sync 144Hz 1440p goodness.
Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind. I just wish the ROG Swift wasn't a tn panel. Thanks.

lexi

Banned
Hey guys, my PC score on 3DMark is following;

FIRE STRIKE EXTREME
Add to compare
GRAPHICS DRIVER IS NOT APPROVED
SCORE 4811 with AMD Radeon R9 290X(1x) and Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics Score 5020
Physics Score 12166
Combined Score 2169

is that good ? The only thing I notice is that it reports RAM running at

GENERAL
Operating system 64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)
Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
Memory 16,384 MB
Module 1 8,192 MB G.Skill DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 2 8,192 MB G.Skill DDR3 @ 667 MHz

Hard drive model 2,000 GB WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 ATA Device

The Rams should be running @ 2400 Mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3554039?

I think 3dmark just reports the SPD on your memory. Use cpuz to check actual speed. I'm more familiar with the non extreme fire strike scores but your score looks pretty good to me.

riflen

Hmm, going to that page, the "Enable user defined automatic software fan control" box is unchecked, so there's no graph underneath.

With it being unchecked, does that mean their setting of 65% isn't being used anyway? The full Afterburner settings panel looks like this, if it's any help:

Nope. If it's unchecked, then there's no custom fan profile. Custom let's you chose the RPM at particular temperatures.

Default is usually Auto, where the GPU's built in firmware decides fan RPM based on temperatures. It seems they've set a fixed 65% fan speed, which is a bad decision. My advice would be to hit auto and let the GPU run the show itself.

You can always email scan and explain the situation. They should advise you considering they built it.

PaulLFC

Nope. If it's unchecked, then there's no custom fan profile. Custom let's you chose the RPM at particular temperatures.

Default is usually Auto, where the GPU's built in firmware decides fan RPM based on temperatures. It seems they've set a fixed 65% fan speed, which is a bad decision. My advice would be to hit auto and let the GPU run the show itself.

You can always email scan and explain the situation. They should advise you considering they built it.
Thanks, I saved Scan's settings with the constant 65% speed as profile 1, and made a second profile, using the same settings except for enabling Auto fan speed - I saved that as profile 2.

As soon as I did that, the fan speed dropped from 65% to 34%, and I can barely hear anything now, the PC is a lot more silent (not that it wasn't quiet before!).

I'll ask Scan about it tomorrow and see what they say - as you said a constant 65% would seem a bad choice, as I assume the GPU won't go higher than that even if on auto control it would do?

Thanks for all your help with this.

riflen

Thanks, I saved Scan's settings with the constant 65% speed as profile 1, and made a second profile, using the same settings except for enabling Auto fan speed - I saved that as profile 2.

As soon as I did that, the fan speed dropped from 65% to 34%, and I can barely hear anything now, the PC is a lot more silent (not that it wasn't quiet before!).

I'll ask Scan about it tomorrow and see what they say - as you said a constant 65% would seem a bad choice, as I assume the GPU won't go higher than that even if on auto control it would do?

Thanks for all your help with this.

You understand correctly. The temp would just climb until the GPU was forced to lower its clock speed and voltage to maintain sensible temperatures (and crippling performance at the same time). Must be a mistake on Scan's part.

McBryBry

Another case fan question. I just now realized that the Define R4 comes with two Silent Series R2 fans already in it. Are these any good? Would I be alright just buying one more to throw in the second front fan slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom