• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Guys is getting a WD velociraptor HDD for game storage worth it as a in-between an average 7200rpm and an SSD?

Depends on the price, and if it's used. In general, probably not since SSDs have more or less become the go-to device for fast storage access, and used hard drives are difficult to recommend buying due to warranty and wear.

Depends on the price, and if it's used. In general, probably not since SSDs have more or less become the go-to device for fast storage access, and used hard drives are difficult to recommend buying due to warranty and wear.

They are being made again in a 1tb version. Here is Aus it's about $250 brand new with a 5 year warranty and ssd is a little more then twice that.

Just wanted to know if the real world performance is comparable and now if at that price - is it worth it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys is getting a WD velociraptor HDD for game storage worth it as a in-between an average 7200rpm and an SSD?
fuck no

Only reason is if you have to do media encode/raw stuff for a RAID, even then SSDs are coming so cheap in price you can move recordings off into storage after.

kennah

They are being made again in a 1tb version. Here is Aus it's about $250 brand new with a 5 year warranty and ssd is a little more then twice that.

Just wanted to know if the real world performance is comparable and now if at that price - is it worth it?

The noise isn't worth it. They're fucking loud.

Cipherr

Need a 2.0 TB mech drive (or higher) for more storage. Can anyone give me a quick recommendation on brand? 7200 baseline for this one if at all possible.

Here she is, in all her Instagram'd glory.

AONj8TD.jpg

RGM79

Need a 2.0 TB mech drive (or higher) for more storage. Can anyone give me a quick recommendation on brand? 7200 baseline for this one if at all possible.

Toshiba, Hitachi, and Western Digital are good brands. Toshiba and Hitachi are usually available at good prices. Here's US price listings for 2TB drives.

Seagate is still kinda OK, depending on the model. It's hard to find model-specific failure rates, though. I've stopped recommending Seagate when possible since other brands appear to be more reliable in general.

Looks great. Specs?
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec TruePower New 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)
Monitor: Samsung S32D850T 60Hz 32.0" Monitor
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-06 23:42 EDT-0400

Removed prices because I reused some things or bought stuff cheaper. I kind of wish I bought faster RAM, but this is strictly for gaming so I think it'll be okay.

The only thing I need to do is get a 3pin to sata power for the H105 pump. I have the pump plugged into the Sys_Fan1 on the motherboard and I don't trust the BIOS or Gigabyte software that its running 100% all the time. During the boot process I can tell it fluctuates because the light flickers.

Also, thanks for RGM79 and mkenyon for help narrowing down some of the parts.

Myriadis

I heard that the TI versions of some nvidia graphic cards are basically more powerful versions. Saw an already built Pc with a GeForce GTX750 ti. How powerful is that card compared to the 900 series?

RGM79

NeOak

That's another great choice, though you should know the 540 also has dust filters.

Oh, I didn't know.

Oh well. The Define is really nice and will accommodate my 7970 with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV 280(X). Even got a 500GB 850 EVO to use for steam games and put both the SSDs in the back.

I'll take a picture of the inside after I put the cooler on the 7970 when it arrives tomorrow. No lights or LEDs at the moment.

golem

Is anyone running a R9 290 on a 500w PSU? A couple of sites that have power consumption calculators show my system with this card selected as coming in just under 500w as a recommendation, but almost all the specs I've seen list a 750w PSU. Is that for crossfire?

If you overclock anything it probably won't be enough. I had one on a 500w and it was not stable with cpu and gpu oc.

Oh and for reference even 850w isnt stable for CF overclocking. Only ran well when I took it to 1000w.

LilJoka

Please?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£299.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard (£232.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£131.38 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £714.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 10:13 BST+0100

knerl

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...tion-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

Source: http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/grand-theft-auto-v-test-gpu.html

So yes? Haswell just 100-200MHz faster than Sandy Bridge shows a noticeable improvement. Unless someone can argue that because that's SLI 980 compared to your 970 that you wouldn't see a comparable boost.

Thanks for the reply. If I were to choose between a new CPU (4690K or 4790K) and a motherboard or a GTX 980. What would be the sane choice? I'm thinking that a new chipset and more powerful CPU would benefit me more in general while also giving me a big boost in gaming sometimes. I bet the SATA-controllers on a new Z97 chipset for example are far faster than on my old Z77 one.

I'm trying to build a roughly console priced rig for non graphically intensive PC exclussives like Cities:Skylines and POE, last gen games like Skyrim with mods, and retro gaming, at 1080p.

As I'm trying to keep my budget to £400-£450, would an FX 6300 and R7 260X with 8GB RAM be ok, or should I go for something a bit beefier?

I've got about £30 quid to spare without blowing my budget, so I can comfortably go up to a 8350 or 270X if need be, but as I'm going to be using my PS4 for current gen games, if I don't need to, I'd rather keep the money.

I'm trying to build a roughly console priced rig for non graphically intensive PC exclussives like Cities:Skylines and POE, last gen games like Skyrim with mods, and retro gaming, at 1080p.

As I'm trying to keep my budget to £400-£450, would an FX 6300 and R7 260X with 8GB RAM be ok, or should I go for something a bit beefier?

I've got about £30 quid to spare without blowing my budget, so I can comfortably go up to a 8350 or 270X if need be, but as I'm going to be using my PS4 for current gen games, if I don't need to, I'd rather keep the money.

How about something like this?

The i3 will get better performance than the 6300 or the 8350 in most games and the motherboard provides an upgrade path if you save up for a Haswell i5 or i7 in the future. It's also hyperthreaded so it's 2C/4T. So the games that require quad core CPUs read it as such. Of course, you could drop the GPU back down to a 270X or 260X and get a cheaper case if you're hard set on your price window.

If you're dead set on an AMD CPU I'd wait until next year and see what the new Zen cores bring to the table. As of now, though, the AMD CPUs are not worth the cost if you're starting a new build. If you already have an AM3+ motherboard then maybe forth just getting an AMD CPU instead of buying an Intel CPU/Mobo combo... MAYBE..

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yGJhLk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yGJhLk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.90 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£66.83 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£41.69 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£29.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£148.10 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£62.80 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £497.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 11:28 BST+0100

RGM79

Thanks for the reply. If I were to choose between a new CPU (4690K or 4790K) and a motherboard or a GTX 980. What would be the sane choice? I'm thinking that a new chipset and more powerful CPU would benefit me more in general while also giving me a big boost in gaming sometimes. I bet the SATA-controllers on a new Z97 chipset for example are far faster than on my old Z77 one.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm going to advise you against upgrading for the time being. I personally think the sane choice would be to stick with your current i5 2500K and GTX 970.

Both Z77 and Z97 have SATA 3.0 ports, it's just that Z77 doesn't have as many of the high speed 3.0 ports that Z97 does. Still, as long as your SSDs are plugged into your Z77 motherboard's SATA 3.0 ports while your hard drives are on the SATA 2.0 ports, you're already more or less getting the best performance. You won't notice much of a difference plugging in your hard drive into a SATA 3.0 port compared to a SATA 2.0 port.

When it comes to upgrading the processor.. the 4690K is only around 10% faster than your 2500K. Nearly all games save for a few examples don't really take advantage of more than 4 processing threads, so the 4790K wouldn't be much faster than the 4690K for most games. Even for a recent CPU-bound game like GTAV, you'd only see a marginal increase at best going from the 2500K to a 4690K or 4790K. That benchmark was done with a single Titan X, so I think it's a somewhat more reliable result than SLI GTX 980s. Resolution may matter as well, so that's why the result differs from what Crisium posted.

It's a similar story with your GTX 970. If you already have a GTX 970, it's also hard to recommend upgrading to the GTX 980. That's a small performance leap for a lot more money. If you have a decent GTX 970 with a good cooler, you could overclock that to match stock GTX 980 speeds, that's how close they are in performance.

It's your choice if you want to upgrade, but we're just trying to say that it's not a very good use of money. Spending $300~400 on a 4th generation Intel quad core processor and Z97 motherboard to replace your old Intel 2nd generation quad core processor and Z77 motherboard nets you maybe up to 10~15% performance increase at best. If you feel the need to spend some money, perhaps you should wait a few months for Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards, at least upgrading then will be a somewhat better proposition because you'll be going with slightly better future-proofed parts. Skylake/Z170 will use DDR4 RAM and the new CPU socket 1151 which is incompatible with existing Z97 processors, and I'm expecting new technologies like USB 3.1 and USB type C ports to be more common on newer motherboards.

You said you were experiencing stutter? How bad is it, and how hot is your system running? Maybe better cooling would be worth spending money on for a more stable experience. What are your system specs?

How about something like this?

The i3 will get better performance than the 6300 or the 8350 in most games and the motherboard provides an upgrade path if you save up for a Haswell i5 or i7 in the future. It's also hyperthreaded so it's 2C/4T. So the games that require quad core CPUs read it as such. Of course, you could drop the GPU back down to a 270X or 260X and get a cheaper case if you're hard set on your price window.

If you're dead set on an AMD CPU I'd wait until next year and see what the new Zen cores bring to the table. As of now, though, the AMD CPUs are not worth the cost if you're starting a new build. If you already have an AM3+ motherboard then maybe forth just getting an AMD CPU instead of buying an Intel CPU/Mobo combo... MAYBE..

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yGJhLk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yGJhLk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.90 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£66.83 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£41.69 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£29.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£148.10 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£62.80 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £497.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 11:28 BST+0100

Your advice is solid, but I have some recommendations for your build. That specific Hitachi hard drive is an older model dating back to 2007 and it uses an old 5 platter design. Not that the number of platters necessarily makes it bad, but it is older technology. It works and it's cheap, but I'd recommend the newer Toshiba 1TB model (£38) even though it costs a bit more. Also, for £158 there's the XFX R9 280X instead, might be worth looking at since it's so close in price, especially if you can cut costs elsewhere.

I don't mean to butt in and I hope you don't mind the alternative build I'm listing below. Your build has a much nicer case, better motherboard, a modular power supply, and is better suited for future parts upgrades and overclocking, but the build I'm recommending below has stronger performance for a similar price.

@Stilton Disco, if you do not plan to do any processor overclocking, it would be possible to get an better performing i5 processor by going with some alternative parts. It includes the R9 280X but if you go with the R9 270X instead, the same build will cost about £450.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£144.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£38.17 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£158.81 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£22.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£47.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £492.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 11:59 BST+0100

The problem with both those builds is that they blow past my £450 maximum without even including Windows.

I'm also not looking to upgrade, just something that will let me play older games, Indie titles, and a few PC exclusive CRPG's, Adventure and Sim games, even just on minimum settings.

I'll probably just keep the case and build a new rig entirely on the cheap in 2020 or later, once the upcoming tech advances have had a couple of years to dig in.

Time to upgrade my gf's PC.

With Radeon 3xx reveal around the corner, I'm willing to see what will come out of it but the upgrade needs to happen in the next month (~3-5 weeks) so that means I can't wait for desktop Broadwell K let alone Skylake.

Answering the questions from the OP:

Your Current Specs:CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)

MBO: ASUS P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (OC @ 3.2GHz)
cooler: Ninja SCNJ-1000 cooler + 120mm fan
RAM: 4x2GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX520
HDD: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
BDROM
case: NZXT Source 210 case
monitor: Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
keyboard: MS Keyboard 200
mouse: Steelseries Rival

Budget: Price Range + Country

1000 EUR max (VAT included)
I'm from Croatia so I'll buy components here unless there's some deep discount on Alzashop or Amazon.de (which is rare + shipping is expensive for PC parts).

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii),
Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Main use is gaming. Plain and simple. Everything else is a welcome side effect (she does some light photo processing in Lightroom but that's about it).

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

The monitor stays the same. Dell U2412M, 1920 x 1200 @ 60fps.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

Ability to "max out" as much as possible all the current (and future to the extent that's possible) games at 1920x1200p @ 60fps.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)

I'm reusing the following:

BDROM
OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 --> will upgrade to Win 10 when available

in case the PSU isn't enough for a GPU, add it to the list.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?

Described in the first sentence.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Not right away, but would like to have an option later on.

Here's what I came up with [prices are in EUR, converted from Croatia's hardware stores]:

MBO: ASRock Z97 Pro 4 [113 EUR]

CPU: i5 4690K [264 EUR]

cooler: Hyper 212 EVO [36 EUR]

RAM: 1866MHz DDR3 Kingston [63 EUR]

GPU: MSI GTX 970 G4 [410 EUR]

886 EUR total

is this OK or should I look for something different?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

RGM79

The problem with both those builds is that they blow past my £450 maximum without even including Windows.

I'm also not looking to upgrade, just something that will let me play older games, Indie titles, and a few PC exclusive CRPG's, Adventure and Sim games, even just on minimum settings.

I'll probably just keep the case and build a new rig entirely on the cheap in 2020 or later, once the upcoming tech advances have had a couple of years to dig in.
Sorry about that. Still, have you taken a look at the £450 build I linked to? We didn't even know you had old parts that you could reuse, like the case. That would bring down costs even more.

We don't usually include the cost of Windows in your recommendations, we skip that unless it's specifically asked about. Will you be purchasing a retail Windows copy for the usual £75 or would you consider buying a cheap Windows license from Reddit for less than £15?

Edit: here's my usual disclaimer on Windows license keys from Reddit:

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for £15 GBP or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

Your advice is solid, but I have some recommendations for your build.

I don't mean to butt in and I hope you don't mind the alternative build I'm listing below.

I don't mind your advice at all, you're much better versed in this field than I am. Also, I didn't even stop to consider the possibility that he/she wouldn't be overclocking in the future.

Yeah, I just know the feel of building a PC and then regretting not spending that little extra the first time. You could also check the BST thread here on GAF for good deals on slightly used components. I bought my current CPU/mobo combo and a 7970 Matrix from a fellow Gaffer. If you aren't overclocking and are set on your price window, the £450 build RGM linked to in his post is spot one for your needs if you're willing to nab a cheap Windows key from Reddit. I've been running 8.1 on a key from there for almost a year with no problems and have reserved my free upgrade to Windows 10.

RGM79

Time to upgrade my gf's PC.

With Radeon 3xx reveal around the corner, I'm willing to see what will come out of it but the upgrade needs to happen in the next month (~3-5 weeks) so that means I can't wait for desktop Broadwell K let alone Skylake.

Answering the questions from the OP:

Your Current Specs:CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)

MBO: ASUS P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (OC @ 3.2GHz)
cooler: Ninja SCNJ-1000 cooler + 120mm fan
RAM: 4x2GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 2GB
BDROM

Budget: Price Range + Country

1000 EUR max (VAT included)
I'm from Croatia so I'll buy components here unless there's some deep discount on Alzashop or Amazon.de (which is rare + shipping is expensive for PC parts).

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii),
Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Main use is gaming. Plain and simple. Everything else is a welcome side effect (she does some light photo processing in Lightroom but that's about it).

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

The monitor stays the same. Dell U2412M, 1920 x 1200 @ 60fps.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

Ability to "max out" as much as possible all the current (and future to the extent that's possible) games at 1920x1200p @ 60fps.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)

I'm reusing the following:

BDROM
OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 --> will upgrade to Win 10 when available

in case the PSU isn't enough for a GPU, add it to the list.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?

Described in the first sentence.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Not right away, but would like to have an option later on.

Here's what I came up with [prices are in EUR, converted from Croatia's hardware stores]:

MBO: ASRock Z97 Pro 4 [113 EUR]

CPU: i5 4690K [264 EUR]

cooler: Hyper 212 EVO [36 EUR]

RAM: 1866MHz DDR3 Kingston [63 EUR]

GPU: MSI GTX 970 G4 [410 EUR]

886 EUR total

is this OK or should I look for something different?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Do you have any links to local Croatian retailers you'll be shopping with? I don't mind taking a look in my spare time.

The list of parts you have is pretty decent, but 520 watts might be a bit low if you intend to do any overclocking.

Do you have any links to local Croatian retailers you'll be shopping with? I don't mind taking a look in my spare time.
www.nabava.net is a "pcpartpicker" of Croatia. It aggregates most of the stores, but the price differences are not that big.
IMHO, you shouldn't concern yourself with prices that much since I know the ranges, etc.
I'm more interested in the actual component choice.

The list of parts you have is pretty decent, but 520 watts might be a bit low if you intend to do any overclocking.
I won't overclock right away, maybe in a year or so, so I can think about the PSU then?
GTX 970 is power efficient, no? HX520 should handle it well?

knerl

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm going to advise you against upgrading for the time being. I personally think the sane choice would be to stick with your current i5 2500K and GTX 970.

Both Z77 and Z97 have SATA 3.0 ports, it's just that Z77 doesn't have as many of the high speed 3.0 ports that Z97 does. Still, as long as your SSDs are plugged into your Z77 motherboard's SATA 3.0 ports while your hard drives are on the SATA 2.0 ports, you're already more or less getting the best performance. You won't notice much of a difference plugging in your hard drive into a SATA 3.0 port compared to a SATA 2.0 port.

When it comes to upgrading the processor.. the 4690K is only around 10% faster than your 2500K. Nearly all games save for a few examples don't really take advantage of more than 4 processing threads, so the 4790K wouldn't be much faster than the 4690K for most games. Even for a recent CPU-bound game like GTAV, you'd only see a marginal increase at best going from the 2500K to a 4690K or 4790K. That benchmark was done with a single Titan X, so I think it's a somewhat more reliable result than SLI GTX 980s. Resolution may matter as well, so that's why the result differs from what Crisium posted.

It's a similar story with your GTX 970. If you already have a GTX 970, it's also hard to recommend upgrading to the GTX 980. That's a small performance leap for a lot more money. If you have a decent GTX 970 with a good cooler, you could overclock that to match stock GTX 980 speeds, that's how close they are in performance.

It's your choice if you want to upgrade, but we're just trying to say that it's not a very good use of money. Spending $300~400 on a 4th generation Intel quad core processor and Z97 motherboard to replace your old Intel 2nd generation quad core processor and Z77 motherboard nets you maybe up to 10~15% performance increase at best. If you feel the need to spend some money, perhaps you should wait a few months for Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards, at least upgrading then will be a somewhat better proposition because you'll be going with slightly better future-proofed parts. Skylake/Z170 will use DDR4 RAM and the new CPU socket 1151 which is incompatible with existing Z97 processors, and I'm expecting new technologies like USB 3.1 and USB type C ports to be more common on newer motherboards.

You said you were experiencing stutter? How bad is it, and how hot is your system running? Maybe better cooling would be worth spending money on for a more stable experience. What are your system specs?

I have everything more than properly configured. Temps are fine and dandy (~67 deg C on the CPU Max, avg under full or near full load ~60-64. GPU wise I'd say 74 deg C is the usual value under 99% load. Depending on the game though 99% load can push it to 80, but that's the absolute max which it won't go above and while it reaches that it throttles from 1380MHz to 1367MHz.) I've just gotten it into my head that Z97 have better SATA3 controllers in general that together with a stronger CPU might bring me even faster performance. I'm drawing this conclusion after having seen a GTAV load time test on a 850 pro which took 25 seconds from main menu into the game. For me it takes 35 seconds using the same type of SSD (using latest firmware, bios and drivers of course.) Of course the settings used might play a big part in it.

The stuttering is down to a few games. Mainly Far Cry 4 which while driving from one section to another always bogs the framerate down from a capped 60 to ~53. Something that always results in the screen freezing half a second or so. Driving around, flying around constantly results in this which is annoying to say the least. Pretty sure it's down to poor streaming tech in the game itself, but at the same time my CPU in this game is always hogging one of the cores to 100%. Thinking that might have something to do with it. If not CPU related I wonder how much the GPU plays a part in this. If the memory bandwidth getting crippled while exceeding 3.5GB VRAM (which I many times aren't close to using) could be the culprit. I don't have any issues with DPC latencies being high or anything stealing unnecessary CPU-cycles.

My final question in all of this is probably if a 4790K running the same games would be put to less stress not causing the cores to run at 100%. Something that might affect the stuttering I get sometimes in GTAV. Going from a 2500K to a 4790K in GTAV supposedly boosts performance with about 20fps. Which is pretty much.

But yeah. Haven't really thought about Skylake. Might save for that instead.

Pjsprojects

Please put my mind at rest Gaf.

I just purchased a R9-290x as an upgrade for my GTX580 3gb. The Nvidea card has been fantastic and still plays modern games very well at 1080p.

My worry is although I'm very happy with the price of the new card,is support really that bad? Nvidea do some great software although Shadowplay is not supported on older cards.

So will this show a nice improvement?

Please put my mind at rest Gaf.

I just purchased a R9-290x as an upgrade for my GTX580 3gb. The Nvidea card has been fantastic and still plays modern games very well at 1080p.

My worry is although I'm very happy with the price of the new card,is support really that bad? Nvidea do some great software although Shadowplay is not supported on older cards.

So will this show a nice improvement?

Yes. And no it is not that bad.

Arkanius

The support is not bad at all.

How AMD drivers differ from Nvidia nowadays:

They release 2 WHQL per year.
The rest they try to release a Beta per month or every two months. The betas are very stable and should be updated to ASAP to maximize performance and compatibility.

I think things might change in the future though, for example in Windows 10, AMD has been sending drivers updates directly through Windows Update, without needing to Uninstall and Reinstall.

It's awesome, and the performance is great.

AMD is fantastic in price/performance ratio, unbeatable compared to Nvidia.

Pjsprojects

The support is not bad at all.

How AMD drivers differ from Nvidia nowadays:

They release 2 WHQL per year.
The rest they try to release a Beta per month or every two months. The betas are very stable and should be updated to ASAP to maximize performance and compatibility.

I think things might change in the future though, for example in Windows 10, AMD has been sending drivers updates directly through Windows Update, without needing to Uninstall and Reinstall.

It's awesome, and the performance is great.

AMD is fantastic in price/performance ratio, unbeatable compared to Nvidia.

That's good to hear seeing as I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks.

Ryne

Did a bit of research for find myself a good monitor that is both 1080P and 144hz. Came across the BenQ XL2420Z, 1080p TN. Anyone have any opinions about this monitor?

Dennis

Banned
Personally i would get this monitor
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-monitor-s32d850t

Sure you lose the higher ppi, but you get PVA contrast goodness. Three times better contrast, 10bit display Games will run better on it. It is a larger screen. And i am not sure about the latest 4K Dell, but earlier ones do have first run issues.

no no, the sub-4K era is over

By question is if something like the $699 4K dell IPS is sufficient to get a high quality 4K monitor.

Anyone with a 4K monitor care to share the make and their experience with it? Surely we have some 4K aristocrats on GAF.

Crisium

Is GTX 970 enough for 1440p gaming? Or do I need to jump to 980?

The 980 is a pointless card. Have a budget and get the 970, or reach deeper and get the 980 Ti (or wait to see what AMD will have in a couple weeks). The 970 and 980 will mostly hit the same bottlenecks and age out at the same time.

Usually, price-to-performance ratio gets worse as you step up. But 970->980 is more money than 980->980Ti. And it's also less performance increase. Buying a 980 right now doesn't make any sense, under any circumstances. It was only a realistic option back when it was the #1 performance single GPU since it had the halo product tax, but even with a $50 price cut it's still overpriced!

Lexxism

IMHO, enough, but not will all the bells and whistles. You're gonna have to compromise on IQ settings if you want to hit 60fps.

The 980 is a pointless card. Have a budget and get the 970, or reach deeper and get the 980 Ti (or wait to see what AMD will have in a couple weeks). The 970 and 980 will mostly hit the same bottlenecks and age out at the same time.

Usually, price-to-performance ratio gets worse as you step up. But 970->980 is more money than 980->980Ti. And it's also less performance increase. Buying a 980 right now doesn't make any sense, under any circumstances. It was only a realistic option back when it was the #1 performance single GPU since it had the halo product tax, but even with a $50 price cut it's still overpriced!
Okay, thanks for that.

Since 970 is the one I'm after, which one is the best? 1080 144hz or 1440p 144hz? I assume it will be the former? Seeing the prices in Canada, it will at least cost me 1 grand for both 970 and 1440p monitor while 1080p is around 600-700 I think.

Darktalon

Hi guys, everything in the parts list I already have, I'm looking for a new case and case fans suggestions. I'd prefer a mid tower. Unlikely to watercool, but I might buy AIO waterblocks for the GPUs. My priority is good air cooling while still supporting the space for my 4 drive Raid 10 and two SSD's. Ideally I'd also have it all on the quieter side, I sit and sleep next to the computer.

Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $190.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $30.00)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $100.00)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $200.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $210.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $135.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $135.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (Purchased For $660.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (Purchased For $660.00)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $130.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $150.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $25.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $100.00)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $95.00)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $420.00)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $810.00)
Keyboard: Logitech G510 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $100.00)
Mouse: Mionix AVIOR 7000 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $80.00)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones (Purchased For $400.00)
Total: $5025.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 12:48 EDT-0400

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My friend that I helped with his build just ordered another Titan X

That means:

X99 Pro
5960k 8-core
3x Titan X Tri-SLI
32GB DDR4 (gonna bump to 64)
500GB 850 Evo
1500W Corsair PSU

On an ROG Swift.

Badass.

Mashing

Why did he go for the EVO instead of the Pro. It's a faster drive and since that build is like 5k, it's a drop in the bucket for him. Hell, he could have went with a M.2 drive or a PCI-e SSD which are super fucking fast. Just seems weird he'd do all that and then stick a budget SSD in there.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Why did he go for the EVO instead of the Pro. It's a faster drive and since that build is like 5k, it's a drop in the bucket for him. Hell, he could have went with a M.2 drive or a PCI-e SSD which are super fucking fast. Just seems weird he'd do all that and then stick a budget SSD in there.

I agree 100%.

I think I'll eventually talk him into an Intel 750 - which is an amazing drive. But for now his argument is he got the 850 Evo for dirt chief; and performance wise, he's not going to notice much a difference between it and something nicer, anyway.

I agree 100%.

I think I'll eventually talk him into an Intel 750 - which is an amazing drive. But for now his argument is he got the 850 Evo for dirt chief; and performance wise, he's not going to notice much a difference between it and something nicer, anyway.

He's probably right imo. Assuming he just uses his pc for gaming/general stuff.

DigtialT

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm trying to decide between building a desktop PC or buying a new laptop before college. I've never built a computer before and like the ability to upgrade it later, but It'd be more expensive. The laptop would be better then the one I have now and cheaper then the desktop, but I'm not sure I need it as all my classes I'd need a computer for provide one.

So does anyone have an thoughts or opinions?

NeOak

I got an EVO to install games on it lol.

If it's for that, the EVO is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom