• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
Well, update on my RMA situation. AMD was once again useless.
DRWaMUm.jpg

Since I doubt they'll be of any help, does anyone know if there's a way to find out who manufactured the card using software?

Edit: reference design and reference are two separate things, right?

Engell

LookingIntoMyCrystalBallPost.jpg

When AMD reveals R3XX series, is it safe to assume that NVIDIA (or at least the retailers themselves) will drop the price on 970, especially if AMD cards turn out to be well priced (and possibly better in performance than NVIDIA counterparts because of HBM?)

HBM will almost certainly not be available on AMDs mainstream/lowend cards, the rumors so far is that everything will be re-branded last gen cards.. and only the top flagship card will be HBM

Engell

Since I doubt they'll be of any help, does anyone know if there's a way to find out who manufactured the card using software?

It could be a Sapphire card, they have made reference cards for AMD in the past

Tendo

Weird problem guys. Built my wife a new PC and the past 3 or 4 days in the morning it won't cut on. I have to unplug it and hold power to dump the charge, reset the switch on the back before it comes on. Otherwise the power light comes on but no fans spin or activity on the inside. Yesterday it shut off and said anti surge detected upon reboot. Put in a new surge protector - hour later it cut off and did the thing where it won't boot again. At this point I unplugged it.

2 questions -

1) I'm assuming its a faulty psu? And if not, then mobo? not sure where to go with this but all the symptoms make me think I got a bad PSU.

this one is a bit unrelated

2) should I look into getting a UPS for our PC's? Lights dim when the A/C kicks on. Worried about potential brownouts/ overages?

How likely is there to be a 750ti replacement this summer? I know that it's maxwell already so I could see it sticking around a bit. I have a deal lined up on an Asus prebuily with an i5 4460 in it but not much a power supply. Would like to just drop something in to play dota and indies on nicely.

Eoin

Hey guys looking for a gfx card to pair with an i3 4170 I picked up cheap. Was thinking a gtx 960, as I presume the CPU will bottleneck a 970. Any thoughts?

So I'm using a Define R5 case w/ the 4790k CPU (cooling w/ the Cooler Master Evo 212--not planning to OC initially if ever) and the EVGA GTX 970 card. The Define comes w/ 2 140mm fans and I've already bought a third. Am I ok or do you think I'll need more fans? Also, where is the optimal place to stick the third fan? This case has so many options.

Stubo

Apologies if I've missed this from a previous post, but have you been through the same conversations with Newegg themselves?

It would seem that they've got the best chance of pointing you towards where they sourced your card.

So I'm using a Define R5 case w/ the 4790k CPU (cooling w/ the Cooler Master Evo 212--not planning to OC initially if ever) and the EVGA GTX 970 card. The Define comes w/ 2 140mm fans and I've already bought a third. Am I ok or do you think I'll need more fans? Also, where is the optimal place to stick the third fan? This case has so many options.
You'll find some variation in peoples' preferences with this but personally I'd say 2 front and 1 rear. This gives you a good balance of air pressure in the case and maintains the silence of your build.

ACE 1991

Gaming mice recommendations? Looking to spend $50 and under, I'd like something good for shooters as I've been getting pretty into CS:GO recently. Are wireless mice still generally not the way to guy for twitch games?

ref

Man 980ti performance is nice. I'm kinda jelly even with sli 980s. For about 20 mins I actually contemplated buying 2, knowing full well I'd be out 1000 dollars.

I can't help it I like new things...

Also ordered all my custom water cooling stuff. Going to be my first custom water cooling build. I'll post some more stuff later after work.

Which GTX 970 do you recommend out of these:

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G - €410.59

EF381b.jpg

ASUS GTX970-STRIX-DC2OC-4GD5 - €403.39

ImgW.ashx

EVGA GeForce GTX970 FTW + ACX 2.0+ - €442.59

ImgW.ashx

EVGA GeForce GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0+ - €410.92

ImgW.ashx

mkenyon

Banned
The ASUS cause it's the least expensive.
Gaming mice recommendations? Looking to spend $50 and under, I'd like something good for shooters as I've been getting pretty into CS:GO recently. Are wireless mice still generally not the way to guy for twitch games?
Claw - Logitech G303
Palm - Logitech G402, Corsair Sabre Optical (choose based on comfort)
Hybrid/both - Corsair M45, Zowie ZA

Set them at 800 or 400 CPI/DPI, adjust sens in game.

And seriously, that's the objectively reviewed God-Tier list of accurate mice. Do not even bother with anything else.

zon

So I ordered the following during the weekend:

CPU: Intel 4790K
MB: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB DDR3 PC-17000 2133MHz CL9
GPU: GTX 980 Ti EVGA SC+ (store will get it 20th of June though)
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200 RPM *2
SCREEN: Acer XB270HU

Now the wait for the gpu begins :p

Kayant

Which GTX 970 do you recommend out of these:

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G - €410.59

EF381b.jpg

ASUS GTX970-STRIX-DC2OC-4GD5 - €403.39

ImgW.ashx

EVGA GeForce GTX970 FTW + ACX 2.0+ - €442.59

ImgW.ashx

EVGA GeForce GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0+ - €410.92

ImgW.ashx

Either one is fine and they all have the silent mode feature of no fans spinning until 60C. Go with the cheapest and most aesthetically pleasing.

Engell

Keep away from wireless... look at the net for reviews of fps gaming mice and it also depends on your preferred grip. I myself use a Roccat Kone Pure Military, that i run at 1200DPI. But there are a lot of good mice on the market its all about personal preference.

before this i only used Logitech, but broke the mouse wheel pretty fast on the last three i had where it would randomly scroll one line in the opposite direction of what you wanted it to do. Hope they fixed this in the new generation.

longdi

Banned

Logitech G602 is 40 at Amazon. It is wireless and has good reviews and battery life. It is a palm grip for that extra comfort.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DRWaMUm.jpg

Just include all your information.
Your pictures of the card, issues, S/N, P/N, product page where someone bought it, GPU-Z ID (Update AMD drivers and GPU-Z before checking again).

Call if possible.

So my brain hatched an amazingly stupid idea, so 2 980 ti hybrid's + a cpu cooler wouldn't work in an air 540 would it? I'm guessing the issue would be all those tubes fudging with airflow and space of course.

Please forgive me if this is the most idiotic question you've ever seen I promise I'm at least 10% smarter then my post might imply.

mkenyon

Banned
Keep away from wireless... look at the net for reviews of fps gaming mice and it also depends on your preferred grip. I myself use a Roccat Kone Pure Military, that i run at 1200DPI. But there are a lot of good mice on the market its all about personal preference.
That is also a good mouse.
So my brain hatched an amazingly stupid idea, so 2 980 ti hybrid's + a cpu cooler wouldn't work in an air 540 would it? I'm guessing the issue would be all those tubes fudging with airflow and space of course.

Please forgive me if this is the most idiotic question you've ever seen I promise I'm at least 10% smarter then my post might imply.
It would work just fine. You have tons of space. But why not just get a proper WC system at that point?

2x280mm radiators, plenty of heat dissipation for 2x980 Ti + Proc.
Logitech G602 is 40 at Amazon. It is wireless and has good reviews and battery life. It is a palm grip for that extra comfort.
I'd really advise against anything this heavy for a dedicated FPS mouse.

Mystic654

1. I will be getting Corsair H110i GT, Are the stock fans any good if not what Noctua fans does everyone suggest getting to replace the stock fans?

2. I need to replace 140mm exhaust fan. I was thinking of getting Noctua NF-A14 FLX, Is that a good fan for exhaust or is their a better fan that Noctua offers?

3. I have two Corsair AF140mm Silent Edition Blue LED for my intake, Are these fans worth keeping? I want to stay with LEDS infront.

It would work just fine. You have tons of space. But why not just get a proper WC system at that point?

I would love to do that but 2 things are bothering me

1. I've heard that Watercooling is expensive as hell.

2. I'm not exactly the most experienced with PC hardware handling and not really confident in my ability to not mess up my expensive things.

but that does make more sense to me so I'll be looking into it.

ElTopo

Banned
Not really looking to build a new PC but upgrade a few parts. This is what I got and allow me to blatantly copy and paste:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz

AMD Heatsink and Fan Included

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AMD 870, 6xSATA2, 4xDDR3)

4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz

500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300

1GB ATI Radeon HD5750 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI

550watt Stock Supply

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1

I can build a PC but I'm not great at it and I wouldn't know what exact parts I need to upgrade. Obviously I need to upgrade the RAM, I was looking at 16GB this time. Put in a new hard drive. I'd like to go with a 4.0 GHZ processor but I dunno if that's over kill or not. I think the video card is fine.

Basically, I need this for video editing and I'd like to play Alien Isolation on Ultra settings.

Engell

Not really looking to build a new PC but upgrade a few parts. This is what I got and allow me to blatantly copy and paste:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz
AMD Heatsink and Fan Included
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AMD 870, 6xSATA2, 4xDDR3)
4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
1GB ATI Radeon HD5750 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI
550watt Stock Supply
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1

I can build a PC but I'm not great at it and I wouldn't know what exact parts I need to upgrade. Obviously I need to upgrade the RAM, I was looking at 16GB this time. Put in a new hard drive. I'd like to go with a 4.0 GHZ processor but I dunno if that's over kill or not. I think the video card is fine.
Basically, I need this for video editing and I'd like to play Alien Isolation on Ultra settings.

I am not sure this rig is worth upgrading :-( with both video editing and gaming in mind: CPU, GPU and RAM needs an upgrade.

Then what would you recommend off of EcollegePC?

Jumping in, but you should really build your own vs. looking at a site to build it for you, unless that site specifically offers services/equiptment you would not normally be able to obtain/do yourself, like custom paint/designs or unique stuff like some of the crazy Alienware nonsense (which still is hardly worth it compared to what you can do hardware power wise with the money).

Building a PC these days is easier than it's ever been. My 13 year old brother built his with barely any oversight of mine. If you're scared, a grounding bracelet and some online videos are all you need. Plus there's the amazing resources in this threads OP.

You'll find some variation in peoples' preferences with this but personally I'd say 2 front and 1 rear. This gives you a good balance of air pressure in the case and maintains the silence of your build.

Sounds like a plan, and investigating further, it seems like this is what Fractal Design recommends. Cheers!

Dennis

Banned
Will getting the 3.50GHz version of this CPU: i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz make any difference for gaming?

How about going all out and getting the i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz ?
Does the lower clock speed make it a less good choice for gaming?

rtcn63

So I have a 760, so the next logical upgrade is a 970 right? I only game at 1080.

Pretty much. As someone with a 670 (near equivalent), I wouldn't settle for less than a 970. That said, the "not exactly 4GB of ram" thing keeps me from upgrading. If you need a card now- go for it. Otherwise... wait.

NeOak

This.

I put the two 140mm fans at the front and I have a Corsair H75 at the back in a push pull configuration. Silent and it keeps everything cool.

See: http://i.minus.com/i5sC1PqAf3DIe.jpg

Will getting the 3.50GHz version of this CPU: i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz make any difference for gaming?

How about going all out and getting the i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz ?

No, for gaming you will get better returns going with a 4790K due to the clockrate.

If you plan to go Tri or Quad SLI, then the X99 stuff may make sense due to the amount of PCI-E lanes.

I will say so. Unless a game utilizes multicore really really well.

You can always overclock those though.

mkenyon

Banned

Dennis, since other people might not be as familiar with your setup, lemme help you out a bit here.

You will want to look at the 5930K or 5960X for the main purpose of having 42 PCI-E lanes, so you will be able to run two cards at x16/x16 for the whole life of the platform. Either that, or you'd want to look at a motherboard that has a PLX chip which essentially multiplies PCI-E Lanes.

I see the 2011-3 platform as being the modern equivalent to the LGA 1366 platform. It'll have a life expectancy similar to that (4-6+ years).

But speaking just to the point of clock speed, you will want to overclock whatever processor you buy. All of the LGA 2011-3 procs are unlocked, and it would be an hour or less of your time to give you way more consistent frame times. All three (5820K, 5930K, and 5960X) are probably the same in terms of max realistic 24/7 overclock, so no worries there.

Dennis

Banned
Dennis, since other people might not be as familiar with your setup, lemme help you out a bit here.

You will want to look at the 5930K or 5960X for the main purpose of having 42 PCI-E lanes, so you will be able to run two cards at x16/x16 for the whole life of the platform. Either that, or you'd want to look at a motherboard that has a PLX chip which essentially multiplies PCI-E Lanes.

But speaking just to the point of clock speed, you will want to overclock whatever processor you buy. All of the LGA 2011-3 procs are unlocked, and it would be an hour or less of your time to give you way more consistent frame times. All three (5820K, 5930K, and 5960X) are probably the same in terms of max realistic 24/7 overclock, so no worries there.

I am definitely going to be doing a moderate overclock but I have not kept up with CPUs and gaming so are any games currently or in the pipeline using more than 4 physical cores? More than 6? Is there any game we know of that can use 8 physical cores?

Engell

Then what would you recommend off of EcollegePC?

Edit: My budget is about $1K or less. Preferably less.

here is another option
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vYkhLk

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Base Total: $971.92
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Shipping: $1.99
Total: $953.91

and use your old harddrive as a secondary
maybe you could use your old case and PSU , but you could risk that the psu is missing some connectors

mkenyon

Banned
I am definitely going to be doing a moderate overclock but I have not kept up with CPUs and gaming so are any games currently or in the pipeline using more than 4 physical cores? More than 6? Is there any game we know of that can use 8 physical cores?
There's games out right now that are n-threaded (use as many cores as you have). Civ V was one of the earliest that did this.

DX12 will make all of this a lot easier, especially as we move past the generation of engines that were built around the 360.

But with the 5960X, you're talking 16 threads. The 5820K/5930K have 12 threads.

Engell

There's games out right now that are n-threaded (use as many cores as you have). Civ V was one of the earliest that did this.

DX12 will make all of this a lot easier, especially as we move past the generation of engines that were built around the 360.

But with the 5960X, you're talking 16 threads. The 5820K/5930K have 12 threads.

has nothing to do with the 360 as it has 3 cores, and then you still see lazy stuff like Heroes of the storm that only run on one core :-(
but yes using 8+ cores is ofc a bigger challenge than using 3

mkenyon

Banned
has nothing to do with the 360 as it has 3 cores, and then you still see lazy stuff like Heroes of the storm that only run on one core :-(
but yes using 8+ cores is ofc a bigger challenge than using 3
Almost every major engine was designed around the 360s 3 cores. UE3 is a prime example of that.

I wasn't saying single threaded games, but was including all the engines that use up to three threads. A standard i7 since 2008 has had 8 threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom