• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For 1080p 60fps is adequate for most games. Other than Witcher 3 which made me go down a few settings.

But I wanted to upgrade my monitor to a IPS 144hz but they all seem to be 1440p which will need a beefy card. Maybe I should get the monitor and take the performance hit and wait until 14nm cards ?

I went that route. Went to a 1440p monitor partly to get more usable space for apps, and will either reduce details on my 970 or possibly run at a lower resolution. Then upgrade the GPU next year or the year after.

Arkanius

My advice is try to control your thirst and hold off on both the monitor and the new card.

But I am weak and would probably not hold off.

Card + Monitor would be a mother of an hell of expense.
I rather do it staggered, and not because I'm thirsty, just easier to the wallet.

I went that route. Went to a 1440p monitor partly to get more usable space for apps, and will either reduce details on my 970 or possibly run at a lower resolution. Then upgrade the GPU next year or the year after.

Seems like a game plan.
I was wondering if I should go 1440p 16:9 or 21:9.
21:9 gives me a hardon when it works, but the compatibility with most stuff is just not there yet. 1440p+IPS+144hz seems like my near (expensive) future.

daxy

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K -- €245 (bought)
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO -- €25
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H -- €109 after rebate (bought)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB CL8 DDR3-1600 -- €55
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB -- €182
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB -- €367
PSU: Seasonic M12 Evo 620W -- €84
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro -- €72 (bought)

Total: €1140 (Netherlands)

I can go up to €1200 on my budget, but I think this is a pretty okay price for everything. Video cards are pretty expensive here compared to the US (~€750 for 980Ti). Perhaps it's worth getting a more powerful PSU or up my memory from 8 to 16gb? Opted for the low profile Crucial set that seems to perform well for its price, could go 4x4 in the future if it's really needed. Getting 2x8 seems a bit superfluous at the moment as the most memory intensive thing I'll be doing is playing games. Could cut €15 by going for a 512gb Crucial BX100, but I hear good things about the Samsung.

I'll be getting the rest of my components at the end of the week. Pretty stoked.

SLX

Banned
I think I screwed up seating the CPU heatsink. I have the Noctua DH-15, Intel 4970k, MSI Z97A Gaming 7. When I first went to install the heatsink, I messed up had to lift it for 5 seconds (thermal paste didn't harden since I had just applied it) then finally got it correctly aligned with the screws.

Idling I'm around 45c, under Prime95 load ~85C.

The ambient temperature in my room is pretty hot since I don't have cold AC blowing, only thing I have is a Vornado.

Should I go back, clean off the thermal paste, apply it again then reseat it? Or are these normal temps?

Also the only fans I have are from the Noctua, the exhaust fan in the back and the HDD fan in the front. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro didn't include any additional fans.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K -- €245 (bought)
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO -- €25
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H -- €109 after rebate (bought)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB CL8 DDR3-1600 -- €55
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB -- €182
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB -- €367
PSU: Seasonic M12 Evo 620W -- €84
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro -- €72 (bought)

Total: €1140 (Netherlands)

I can go up to €1200 on my budget, but I think this is a pretty okay price for everything. Video cards are pretty expensive here compared to the US (~€750 for 980Ti). Perhaps it's worth getting a more powerful PSU or up my memory from 8 to 16gb? Opted for the low profile Crucial set that seems to perform well for its price, could go 4x4 in the future if it's really needed. Getting 2x8 seems a bit superfluous at the moment as the most memory intensive thing I'll be doing is playing games. Could cut €15 by going for a 512gb Crucial BX100, but I hear good things about the Samsung.

I'll be getting the rest of my components at the end of the week. Pretty stoked.

Can I perhaps know about the rebate you got for the Motherboard? I live in Belgium and will be building my system in a month or so.

RGM79

I think I screwed up seating the CPU heatsink. I have the Noctua DH-15, Intel 4970k, MSI Z97A Gaming 7. When I first went to install the heatsink, I messed up had to lift it for 5 seconds (thermal paste didn't harden since I had just applied it) then finally got it correctly aligned with the screws.

The ambient temperature in my room is pretty hot since I don't have cold AC blowing, only thing I have is a Vornado.

Should I go back, clean off the thermal paste, apply it again then reseat it? Or are these normal temps?

Also the only fans I have are from the Noctua, the exhaust fan in the back and the HDD fan in the front. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro didn't include any additional fans.
Your idle and load temperatures are a bit high, but recent versions of Prime95 can stress recent Intel processors to temperature levels far higher than most games due to AVX2 instruction usage and associated voltage boosts. Try some games and see if you still get very high temperatures, then reapply thermal paste and reinstall the cooler? And yes, it could have to do with your room's ambient temperatures being high.

longdi

Banned
Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems like quite a few people have come to that conclusion. I'm definitely not ready to take the plunge on a custom system, and honestly the possibility of leaks would probably make me pretty paranoid about any aio system. It's definitely a low percentage chance, but a chance nonetheless. Especially since I'm likely to move the system around a fair bit, air seems like the way to go for me anyway.

Some sales this weekend pushed me over the fence, and I now have a 5820k, which will hopefully get built up shortly. Going to give the NH-15 a shot, which was a bit more than I wanted to spend on air, but it can probably go back to Amazon if it really doesn't work out. Will be building in a Define S, so plenty of capability for WC if I want it. Once I've had the system for a bit I'll probably feel a lot better about having water in there. Screwing with the hardware is half the fun on these platforms anyway (if not more).

For 5820k, I rather u consider swiftech h220x. Or at least those 280mm aio. I myself benefit going to custom from the silver arrow. 12 Celsius cooler across the cores, and it seems to help stability, I needed lower voltages for the same overclock.

The thing with air coolers is you need good airflow in and out of your case. If not you will be feeding warm air through the heatsink.

kaioshade

Your idle and load temperatures are a bit high, but Prime95 can stress the recent Haswell processors to temperature levels far higher than most games due to AVX instruction usage and associated voltage boosts. Try some games and see if you still get very high temperatures? And yes, it could have to do with your room's ambient temperatures being high.

I use Intel XTU for some quick testing, it has a pretty comprehensive temp and voltage readings as well. on intels site free to download.

RGM79

Is there a list of video games that benefit from hyperthreading (i7)?

Some recent games like GTAV and Witcher 3 scale really well to extra CPU threads, but don't explicitly require a lot of extra cores or threads to run well. For either game, even a dual core processor can allow for adequate performance. It's actually somewhat hard to say, I don't think there are very many games that state hyperthreading as a requirement, either for minimum or recommended specs, so I wouldn't really say there is a list, per se. To that end, around here we still recommend the non-hyperthreaded i5 processors for gaming, i7 processors are more of a optional luxury.

Should I keep my R9 290 4GB or upgrade to a 390/390X/970/980?? I only play at 1080p 60fps but need to turn settings down for games like BF4, GTA V, Witcher 3. If this is what upcoming games are gonna be like then maybe it's time to upgrade.

Not sure if I should upgrade now or wait for nvidia's new cards whenever that may be.

P95 blend or FFT? I would redo the paste personally.

Should I keep my R9 290 4GB or upgrade to a 390/390X/970/980?? I only play at 1080p 60fps but need to turn settings down for games like BF4, GTA V, Witcher 3. If this is what upcoming games are gonna be like then maybe it's time to upgrade.

Not sure if I should upgrade now or wait for nvidia's new cards whenever that may be.
I would wait, myself.

GRaider81

Just finished my 970 build. Really enjoyed doing it!

Buuuut..... just powered it up and im getting no display. Im using hdmi to tv.

Everything looks like its working. Mobo, graphics card, fans etc all running.

Just finished my 970 build. Really enjoyed doing it!

Buuuut..... just powered it up and im getting no display. Im using hdmi to tv.

Everything looks like its working. Mobo, graphics card, fans etc all running.

Make sure the PCI-E cables are connected, try a different hdmi cable, port, maybe try a monitor, etc.

Crisium

The only tenable upgrade for you is Fury X or 980 Ti. 970 is a sidegrade, and 390 would literally be paying only for more and faster memory. I'd wait. You already have the best stopgap card until HBM2 Radeons hit in 1-1.5 years.

SLX

Banned
P95 blend or FFT? I would redo the paste personally.
FFT. Haven't tried blend yet.

Just want you to know the temperature in my room is pretty hot and humid. But if you think redoing the paste. I got the Arctic Mx-14 or some shit.

Are there any clear simple and easy to follow instructions on YouTube or elsewhere on removing the paste and reapplying?

Will check the pci e. Actually thinking about it was something that was confusing.
the 970 has an 8/6 pin on the card. What should I connect to psu? 8 to 8?

Gotta connect both to the PSU.

FFT. Haven't tried blend yet.

Just want you to know the temperature in my room is pretty hot and humid. But if you think redoing the paste. I got the Arctic Mx-14 or some shit.

Are there any clear simple and easy to follow instructions on YouTube or elsewhere on removing the paste and reapplying?
How hot does it get on P95 blend?

zewone

Can I build a PC as good (or better) as the Alienware Alpha for under $400?

I haven't built a PC in years and recently wanted to try out some PC gaming.

I bought an Alienware Alpha for $350 from Amazon with the following specs, but I'm thinking of returning if I can get more bang for my buck.

Alienware has the following specs:

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i3
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Custom Nvidia Maxwell GTX CPU

It's also in a small form factor which is also something I'd like to stick with.

Thank you in advance.

The moment you remove a heatsink from the CPU, you need to reapply paste. You probably have a few bubbles in between the cooler and CPU. I'd really recommend reapplying paste.

RGM79

Cooler Master 130 with the Silverstone 450W SFX12V to power a GTX 980 and an i5-4690k.

Good idea?

Just 450 watts is a bit low, but doable. I wouldn't try to overclock or anything.

Hey, guys, quick question. I have this motherboard in my rig from when I built my pc in 2011.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250

I just noticed it's gen 2 PCI or whatever and I'm about to buy a 980ti which is gen 3 PCI.

Is the performance really shitty if I use the card on this motherboard? Should I just get a new motherboard?

Nah, don't get a new motherboard. You won't be bottlenecked at all.

Can I build a PC as good (or better) as the Alienware Alpha for under $400?

I haven't built a PC in years and recently wanted to try out some PC gaming.

I bought an Alienware Alpha for $350 from Amazon with the following specs, but I'm thinking of returning if I can get more bang for my buck.

Alienware has the following specs:

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i3
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Custom Nvidia Maxwell GTX CPU

It's also in a small form factor which is also something I'd like to stick with.

Thank you in advance.

Well, $350 isn't a bad price for that. I can't really get you a comparable PC including graphics card and Windows for the same price, it'll cost more and be somewhat larger, but it will be more upgradeable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($21.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($37.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $298.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-20 12:41 EDT-0400

For example, that build is already $300 and doesn't include a graphics card or Windows.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Card + Monitor would be a mother of an hell of expense.
I rather do it staggered, and not because I'm thirsty, just easier to the wallet.

Seems like a game plan.
I was wondering if I should go 1440p 16:9 or 21:9.
21:9 gives me a hardon when it works, but the compatibility with most stuff is just not there yet. 1440p+IPS+144hz seems like my near (expensive) future.

I went 34" 21:9 3440x1440. AOC turned up this afternoon, will set it up tomorrow.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I give up.

what piece of hardware do I need to replace in order to get working sound on my PC? motherboard? processor?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm not overclocking it ;) There's a *really* long story behind why I got this CPU...

@NetMapel: I whipped up a really simple build here, and tried to keep it as close to yours as possible: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/yR29Hx Only difference is the motherboard, heatsink, and CPU:

Also, I deliberately kept out the SSD because a lot of SSD prices are falling, so your best bet is to keep checking RedFlagDeals for a good deal. Lots of 250GBs are coming out for under $100.

Hey by the way. Thank you for showing me these. Seems like that website pcpartpicker is a great website and I will definitely look into that :) I appreciate you even putting together a similar built to show me where I can get some savings.

CPU: AMD FX 8120 eight-core @ 3.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00GM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7970

Mobo?

What I would try:
- make sure mobo/audio drivers are updated. try different ports (front/rear jacks).
- try an ubuntu live cd/usb stick, see if sound works there.

did it work previously? are you using separate speakers or ones in your (e.g.) hdmi monitor?

oneida

Mobo?

What I would try:
- make sure mobo/audio drivers are updated. try different ports (front/rear jacks).
- try an ubuntu live cd/usb stick, see if sound works there.

did it work previously? are you using separate speakers or ones in your (e.g.) hdmi monitor?

it worked previously. i really don't feel like going through this dance again as i've had people try to help me over the course of the past two months and nothing has solved the problem. i truly appreciate the sentiment but at this time i just want to throw money at the problem to make it go away.

so it sounds like a new mobo would have all the system sound files i need?

seb_n

Quick question guys, is a GTX770 a relatively decent card still? I currently have a really old machine with a 9800gt in and i have manged to find a brand new gtx770 for £54.99 ~ $85 does this seem like a good price? i have no interest in playing super high resolution, only 1080p.

thanks in advance.

Bob White

bah...

Can I Run It says my CPU is shit compared to the recommended for Witcher and Batman.

I have an i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz

And the site says I want an i7 3770k.

Is it really that much of a difference?

RGM79

it worked previously. i really don't feel like going through this dance again as i've had people try to help me over the course of the past two months and nothing has solved the problem. i truly appreciate the sentiment but at this time i just want to throw money at the problem to make it go away.

so it sounds like a new mobo would have all the system sound files i need?
The motherboard wouldn't have anything to do with the system sound files, but chances are that a new motherboard would have a different sound chipset and you'd be reinstalling Windows so you'd be starting with on a new slate for both hardware and software. It's highly unlikely you'll still have the same problem after that.

oneida

The motherboard wouldn't have anything to do with the system sound files, but chances are that a new motherboard would have a different sound chipset and you'd be reinstalling Windows so you'd be starting with on a new slate for both hardware and software. It's highly unlikely you'll still have the same problem after that.

thank you. what's a good mobo these days? anything well-suited to my cpu/gpu?

Quick question guys, is a GTX770 a relatively decent card still? I currently have a really old machine with a 9800gt in and i have manged to find a brand new gtx770 for £54.99 ~ $85 does this seem like a good price? i have no interest in playing super high resolution, only 1080p.

thanks in advance.

Yes absolutely. A 770 stomps a 750ti in performance, and a new one of those would still be $40-50 more expensive. Absolutely buy that card.

RGM79

bah...

Can I Run It says my CPU is shit compared to the recommended for Witcher and Batman.

A few points to note:
If you want proof..

Techspot's benchmarks show that Witcher 3 will work well on a range of CPUs
Same thing goes for Techspot's look at Arkham Knight (barring shitty port performance, your processor is fine)
Eurogamer was able to coax decent performance out of dual core processors for Witcher 3, so no worries about your hyperthreaded quad core
GameGPU.ru had no issues with their 2600K on Arkham Knight (should note that it was paired with a GTX 980 Ti to reduce changes of GPU bottlenecking)

The 3770K is on average only 3% faster than the 2600K, according to the Ocaholic benchmarks linked above. You can make up the difference and even gain a lead if you overclock. You probably won't need to overclock at all for decent performance in either of those games, most likely. Yes, there are certain situations where the 3770K can pull ahead of the 2600K but even then the difference is not that great. Take a look at the graphics framerate scores for this comparison between the 2600K and 3770K, they're very similar.

thank you. what's a good mobo these days? anything well-suited to my cpu/gpu?

Can you tell us what motherboard you have so I can find something that specifically has a different sound chipset? Are you doing any overclocking?

j-wood

Figured this would be a good a place as any to talk about this.

I have a surface pro 3 (i5, 8GB of ram version), but i'm thinking of selling it and moving to an ultra book, complimenting my gaming desktop. Will only be using steam streaming, so not looking for a gaming laptop.

That said, I'm looking at the yoga 3 pro. Saw it in best buy and the form factor is just sick. Does anyone know how well the core M performs? I've not heard of that line of processors before.

Main concern is that it handles multi tasking well (nothing crazy, thinking like web browser, music playing, video playing, etc).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lver/8636102.p?id=1219357504926&skuId=8636102

Rolfgang

bah...

You are fine. CIRI is crap, they often have the system requirements wrong. CPU's need to be really old to be a bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom