• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

I've got a new motherboard and case but mouse and keyboard won't work in Windows 7. They work fine in the BIOS and I'm able to press F8 during bootup to get the menu but they don't respond at all in Windows 7, safe mode or in Windows repair. The light on my keyboard stays on throughout suggesting that the m+k are always getting power. Any ideas what to do next guys?

What motherboard do you have? Did you reinstall Windows? Are your keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports? Have you tried different ports?

I'm using Samsung Magician to update my SSD firmware and it said to shutdown via the Magician's pop-up button and I did... So usually a computer restarts but in this case I have to manually start my computer to continue the update? I hope...

Edit ok phew. That did it.

It really meant shutdown, not restart, when it said that lol. Took me a couple of seconds wondering why my PC didn't turn on.

What motherboard do you have? Did you reinstall Windows? Are your keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports? Have you tried different ports?
Gigabyte Z97-D3H
I've tried both USB 2 and 3 and I've tried several different ports including the front panel ones.

RGM79

Gigabyte Z97-D3H
I've tried both USB 2 and 3 and I've tried several different ports including the front panel ones.

How long have you left your keyboard and mouse plugged in? Sometimes it takes Windows a few minutes to download and install drivers for your keyboard and mouse if it doesn't recognize them. Yes, even if it worked before, sometimes Windows needs to reinstall keyboard and mouse drivers when plugging them into different ports.

I've got a new motherboard and case but mouse and keyboard won't work in Windows 7. They work fine in the BIOS and I'm able to press F8 during bootup to get the menu but they don't respond at all in Windows 7, safe mode or in Windows repair. The light on my keyboard stays on throughout suggesting that the m+k are always getting power. Any ideas what to do next guys?

What about if you unplug them and then plug them back in once in Windows?

Windows 7 doesn't work with anything plugged into 3.0 ports. Plug them into USB 2.0 ports if your motherboard has any. If not then find a old PS/2 keyboard and mouse to use. If that's not an option then look around your bios and check to see if you can find the option to enable "PS/2 simulation" so your usb k+m will be recognized as PS/2 m+k instead.

I had this problem just a few days ago when I upgraded my PC. That's how I solved it, hopefully this helps with your problem.

Jawmuncher

So my sister has a pretty whack PC but I don't exactly have the money to get her a whole new one. However it works fine so I think a upgrade would suffice. Just need some help as to what exactly I could put in it.

Windows 10
Motherboard: Inspiron 530
Bios: Phoenix-awardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @3.00GHz (2CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3072MB Ram
GPU:AMD Radeon HD 5700 1GB

Was wondering what I could push the Processor, memory and GPU to.
She doesn't need anything too intensive but at least slightly better/faster then what she is getting with these specs.

Wag

So I rearranged my 980Tis and it always seems to be GPU 3 that's overheating. (although one card always seems to hit the mid 80's too regardless). Even if I run the case open and I run the GPU fans at 100% GPU 3 will hit 91C when the temp limiter is off. Not good. I think the problem is the fact I bought the EVGA ACX 2.0+ custom cooling config version of the 980Tis. I would have been better off with the reference fans for SLI config when stacked right on top of each other.

I asked if EVGA could trade them in for the reference model and they refused (I've spent thousands of dollars with them over the years, I don't see why they couldn't do this for a loyal customer). Eh. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with throttled performance for my 980Ti 3-way SLI config. 😭

drotahorror

Can anyone recommend me a wireless router for $100 or less? Would like for it to have okay gaming options and whatnot. Would pay a bit more, $150 or so.

Tabasco

Does anyone here already own the new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor?

I'm considering buying one when stock is available again in the US, but I would like to know more thoughts about it.

Can anyone recommend me a wireless router for $100 or less? Would like for it to have okay gaming options and whatnot. Would pay a bit more, $150 or so.

TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200.

Bought it back in May. Very satisfied. Works under heavy load all the time: multiple consoles & PCs alongside other media equipment, TVs, etc. over 1Gbps home LAN + both 2.4GHz & 5GHz WLAN in use.
No issues. Fully recommended.
Also flashable to DDWRT, OpenWRT, etc. if you want to squeeze some extra functionality.

So my sister has a pretty whack PC but I don't exactly have the money to get her a whole new one. However it works fine so I think a upgrade would suffice. Just need some help as to what exactly I could put in it.

Windows 10
Motherboard: Inspiron 530
Bios: Phoenix-awardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @3.00GHz (2CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3072MB Ram
GPU:AMD Radeon HD 5700 1GB

Was wondering what I could push the Processor, memory and GPU to.
She doesn't need anything too intensive but at least slightly better/faster then what she is getting with these specs.

You can't do much to the CPU and memory now as they are very very dated. Likely a 4 series motherboard with DDR2 memory support, the PSU is probably pretty low end as it is a pre-built, so a more powerful GPU probably will pose issues due to the lack of power (maybe a 750Ti works?), basically you need a new build for any significant improvement.

StuffRuff

Hi all,

I've been offered a used MSI 970 online for £200 hoping to replace my aging 7850.

Is that a decent price used? Is it a risky buy considering I'll have no warranty to fall back on? Should I hold out for the next round of cards?

The 7850 is just about running Fallout 4 on medium settings so its not like I NEED to replace it, it would just be nice to jump into 2015!

LilJoka

Hi all,

I've been offered a used MSI 970 online for £200 hoping to replace my aging 7850.

Is that a decent price used? Is it a risky buy considering I'll have no warranty to fall back on? Should I hold out for the next round of cards?

The 7850 is just about running Fallout 4 on medium settings so its not like I NEED to replace it, it would just be nice to jump into 2015!

MSI gamer 970?
How old is the card?
Do they have the invoice?

TBiddy

I'm currently rocking the almighty i5 2500k.

It's seated in an ASRock P67 Pro3 motherboard, alongside 8 GB (4x2 GB) of 1333 Mhz CL9 memory.

Is there any point in upgrading my memory to something faster or is it not really worth it? The motherboard supports XMP, so it should be possible :)

LilJoka

I'm currently rocking the almighty i5 2500k.

It's seated in an ASRock P67 Pro3 motherboard, alongside 8 GB (4x2 GB) of 1333 Mhz CL9 memory.

Is there any point in upgrading my memory to something faster or is it not really worth it? The motherboard supports XMP, so it should be possible :)

What are you trying to achieve here? What GPU?
Memory speed has negligible impact on fps.

StuffRuff

MSI gamer 970?
How old is the card?
Do they have the invoice?

Sorry yeah, the MSI Gamer 970. He says its around 8-9 months old. If I got a copy of the invoice would it cover me if I needed to RMA it?

Alternatively, I can get the same card brand new at Amazon for £257 with a free copy of Assassins Creed Syndicate or Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6?

Sorry yeah, the MSI Gamer 970. He says its around 8-9 months old. If I got a copy of the invoice would it cover me if I needed to RMA it?

Alternatively, I can get the same card brand new at Amazon for £257 with a free copy of Assassins Creed Syndicate or Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6?

IIRC, MSI's policy on GPU warranty is based on the Serial Number, so I guess it should be ok as long as the number on the card is still readable. But you should contact the local office to make sure.

Do you have any interest in either game? If yes, personally I would go with a new card. Longer warranty, extra game to play or sell, less hassle overall, worth it for £57.

StuffRuff

IIRC, MSI's policy on GPU warranty is based on the Serial Number, so I guess it should be ok as long as the number on the card is still readable. But you should contact the local office to make sure.

Do you have any interest in either game? If yes, personally I would go with a new card. Longer warranty, extra game to play or sell, less hassle overall, worth it for £57.

Thanks for the advice. At the moment for the difference in price I'm also leaning towards new.

That and we also cant be far off the new 1000 series cards I'm guessing? Doesn't look like the 970 ever came down much in price for the past year so might bide my time.

Thanks for the advice. At the moment for the difference in price I'm also leaning towards new.

That and we also cant be far off the new 1000 series cards I'm guessing? Doesn't look like the 970 ever came down much in price for the past year so might bide my time.

What I've read indicates that it will be sometimes next year. So if you can wait, I think it's better to wait.

Zatoth

Thinking of upgrading my Ram. Have 2x4GB at the moment. Would it be okay to add 1x8GB of Ram and later upgrade to 2x8GB?

abracadaver

I want to buy a Fury X in december. Have the drivers improved a bit since its launch? I remember some reviews or forum members saying it should be faster than a 980ti but the drivers werent ready for launch? Also is 4GB HBM enough for 1440p?

Skii

It's Windows 10.

Yeah the DPC latency is there in all its glory :mad:

Here's pics and the stats of it. Let me know what drivers I should uninstall/disable from what you see here:

main screen

drivers

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:15:03 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-PGE4079
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170-A
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16293 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3504 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2939.614720
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3.180102

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2937.569059
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.990240

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 3280.510845
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.283810
Driver with highest ISR total time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.615704

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 1561861
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 2117
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 16
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 3332.117009
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.290454
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.552819

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 3782393
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 3689
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 21
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 31
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 17572
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 8714
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 1486894.422660
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 2.419172
Number of processes hit: 24

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 40.756363
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3280.510845
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 19.185555
CPU 0 ISR count: 1300250
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 3332.117009
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 17.320859
CPU 0 DPC count: 3342787
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 7.410333
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 2498.648402
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 3.035924
CPU 1 ISR count: 231569
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2833.570776
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 1.907803
CPU 1 DPC count: 242754
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.068463
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 290.950913
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.034313
CPU 2 ISR count: 25322
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 347.495434
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.448414
CPU 2 DPC count: 104873
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.939763
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 7.250
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.006916
CPU 3 ISR count: 6853
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 218.206050
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.311829
CPU 3 DPC count: 95720

VoxPop

Hey guys. So I recently moved all my parts into a Node 304 and just received my new monitor today. An ASUS PB278Q. I was running at 1080p and everything was running smoothly. Today after installing the monitor and going with a dual monitor setup, I checked my temps and my GPU is scorching. It used to normally be around 30-40 degrees C idle and only reached the mid 60's when gaming. Is it cause of the new 1440p res? Is it okay to game on it?

V0F6Tse.png

My current setup

i5 2500K
P8H61-I R2.0
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 970
CM Hyper 212
Node 304

Finaika

Hey guys. So I recently moved all my parts into a Node 304 and just received my new monitor today. An ASUS PB278Q. I was running at 1080p and everything was running smoothly. Today after installing the monitor and going with a dual monitor setup, I checked my temps and my GPU is scorching. It used to normally be around 30-40 degrees C idle and only reached the mid 60's when gaming. Is it cause of the new 1440p res? Is it okay to game on it?

V0F6Tse.png

My current setup

i5 2500K
P8H61-I R2.0
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 970
CM Hyper 212
Node 304

I just bought a new 1440p monitor and have this problem too. Turns out that setting the monitor's refresh rate on 144Hz will put the GPU on extra work. Setting it on 120Hz fixed this for me.

Always off

Don't use HDMI, use displayport cable

Thanks.

JJBro One

What do I need to run Battlefront at 60fps on max settings? Right now I have 670sli with and i52500k. Haven't done much upgrading since 2012.

V0F6Tse.png

My current setup

i5 2500K
P8H61-I R2.0
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 970
CM Hyper 212
Node 304

It could be that the memory clock is stuck at full because of the 2 monitor setup, and the card doesn't underclock.

I remember the same thing happening to my brothers pc when he went with a 2 monitor setup.

I fixed it with nvidia inspector.

Here's a more detailed link.
http://www.overclock.net/t/964370/howto-dual-monitor-downclocking-fix-for-nvidia-cards

Okay, so I finally have a pcie wifi card. But it doesn't seem to fit.

image.jpg

It's as though the slot is too far forward, but I can't figure out why that would be. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

LilJoka

Okay, so I finally have a pcie wifi card. But it doesn't seem to fit.

It's as though the slot is too far forward, but I can't figure out why that would be. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Looks like the green led lights are stopping the card from moving forward, maybe the lights are not going into the cut outs on the backplate.

Awesome, I'll give this a shot later tonight. Thanks!

a quick tip, instead of having to add all the games you're going to play in the applications list, just move the left gpu threshhold slider to 45-50, that way whenever a game uses more than 45% of the gpu it will clock back to stock speeds.

uzit88

Hey guys, just got my PC made from pcspeclist here in the UK. First thing I noticed it was super loud out the box, idle on Windows the fans were kicking in big time. I have adjusted the fans in ASUS BIOS thing but its till pretty loud, any idea's?

Skii

Have you tried a bios update yet?
Disable both the WLAN and LAN adapter in device manger and see if the latency drops.

If this fails then try this forum post
http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/12037-very-high-dpc-latency-storport-sys-ndis-sys-post88633.html#post88633

No I didn't do the BIOS update so I can try that now. How do you do that again? I remember someone telling me but can't find the post.

Also, I did disable my WLAN driver and it stopped latency from ndis.sys but I was getting loads of latency from storport.sys.

And finally, any advice that guy gives won't be of any use as he's the actual expert that tried to help me but couldn't solve my problem lol.

RGM79

What do I need to run Battlefront at 60fps on max settings? Right now I have 670sli with and i52500k. Haven't done much upgrading since 2012.

You'll probably be fine. According to both Gamersnexus and Guru3D, a GTX 770 achieves just under 60FPS at 1080p and ultra settings. Twin GTX 670s should have no problem holding 60FPS, assuming no issues with SLI profiles.

Hey guys, just got my PC made from pcspeclist here in the UK. First thing I noticed it was super loud out the box, idle on Windows the fans were kicking in big time. I have adjusted the fans in ASUS BIOS thing but its till pretty loud, any idea's?

What are your system specs? I have no idea what case and fans you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom